Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by oropuro
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zac9wrapped.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    image_6.jpeg
    image_5.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

I am looking for a few people to team up with to buy a container of pinball machines. The machines can be shipped to my location in the Puyallup area for pickup unless someone else has a place better suited. Are you looking for some games to restore and add to your collection? Frustrated with the lack of games available in the Pacific NW? Are you comfortable working on games that are in rough condition? Leave a reply on the thread or send me a PM. I have a current list of games available that I can send to anyone in the northwest who are interested.

I am looking to add a handful of games to my collection so I need to find a few others who are looking to do the same so we can fill up at least a 20' container to maximize the number of games to cost of shipping ratio. I would like to finalize the purchase by around mid-July so I have plenty of work to keep me busy through the fall and winter.

***** These games are typically in pretty rough condition and will need a lot of work. Please do not respond if you are looking for games that are ready to play*****

#2 8 years ago

Where are the games coming from?

#3 8 years ago

what era pins are you mainly looking at to gather and ship?
    E/M
    Classic S/S
    or Alpha-numeric or DMDs from 80-90s
    or modern era

#4 8 years ago

If you get this off the ground, please post pictures of the haul.

and... If you know you're board work and aren't afraid of some elbow grease, it's a cool adventure.

#5 8 years ago

Dammit, like I need another project........
    Yeah, send me the list please.

#6 8 years ago

Good luck. Just remember, it's worth finding someone on the shipping end to inspect things for you and throw a lock on the container after inspection. Have them mail you the key. Bait and switches happen on these deals. If you can, fly out there and see it for yourself before paying for everything. The cost of the trip is worth it to avoid getting burned.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from leisure:

Where are the games coming from?

I am looking at bringing the container in from Italy.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

what era pins are you mainly looking at to gather and ship?
    E/M
    Classic S/S
    or Alpha-numeric or DMDs from 80-90s
    or modern era

They have almost all solid state, although they did just get a few EM's in (rare for them). Most of the games are early 90's through 2010. They carry all of the major manufacturers (Williams/Bally, Capcom, Stern, Sega, DE, and Gottlieb). They do not have very many, if any of the top tier games right now like AF,CC,CV,TZ,MM etc... (they had several two weeks ago, someone bought them all), but they have a bunch of other good games.

Some stories I have heard around the web make it sound like you don't know what games you will be getting. That is not the case here. You pick the exact game you want based on the pictures they provide. They typically have 3 pictures of the cabinet, a few pictures of the playfield and a picture of the bottom of the playfield. The only thing they don't take a picture of is inside the backbox. I just assume every game is going to be pretty hacked up in the backbox and factor in some extra time and money for board repair. They will tell you if the game doesn't boot (although they don't seem to discount non-booting games much) and they will tell you if the game is missing any major circuit boards.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Krankypants:

container in from Italy.

Quoted from Krankypants:

they did just get a few EM's

If the EMs are actual Italian AABs from GTB 70s era
    or other home grown Italian EMs
    then i would be very interested.

#9 8 years ago

A little advice if I may, while I have never done this my self, I know of a couple of ppl here in Australia who have. They bought containers from Italy and let me tell you, they were dogs (the machines).

Half of them, if not 75%, had heaps of issues. All ranging from wrong sound boards to acid damage, wrong speaker panels, cable ties holding down ramps or switches above the pf'd, to really obvious and ugly hacks. Playfield wear was also a very common theme that I noticed and the bodies were average for the most part.

This is regardless of whether it was an A list title or not.

I have thought many times of doing what you are doing, the only way I will, is by going there personally to inspect the machines.

Good luck, I do envy you that it sounds like you can do it, but do it with your eyes open!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

If you get this off the ground, please post pictures of the haul.
    and... If you know you're board work and aren't afraid of some elbow grease, it's a cool adventure.

I will definitely post photos of what we end up with if we can make this deal work.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

If the EMs are actual Italian AABs from GTB 70s era
    or other home grown Italian EMs
    then i would be very interested.

They have a Speed Rush '75 by Playmec, an Apollo '67 by Williams, a Domino '68 by Gottlieb, and a The 100 Yards '52 by E.M. Marchant.

I hope that makes sense to you. I don't recognize 2 of those manufacturers, but that is what is on the sheet.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

Half of them, if not 75%, had heaps of issues. All ranging from wrong sound boards to acid damage, wrong speaker panels, cable ties holding down ramps or switches above the pf'd, to really obvious and ugly hacks. Playfield wear was also a very common theme

Thanks for the information. I have read several stories like these so I am being very careful to pick games that are priced low enough that I can afford to drop a few hundred dollars into them and not lose a bunch of money if I eventually decide to sell them. I don't mind the physical labor at all, but I agree that you have to budget for the worst and then hope they aren't as bad as you budgeted for.

I have a contact from a business I own (non-pinball) who handles container shipments for a living. His company has a office in Italy and he said he would be glad to help make sure everything goes as smooth as possible.

#13 8 years ago

I'd be interested, especially if we could get someone on the other side to confirm what is being sent. I have heard horror stories about the condition of some of these machines and so I am wary. If we could get pics and confirm that what is going into the container is what comes out I would feel a lot better about the process. I'm anxious to hear more about it as you get more information.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Krankypants:

Speed Rush '75 by Playmec, an Apollo '67 by Williams, a Domino '68 by Gottlieb, and a The 100 Yards '52 by E.M. Marchant.

I already have a WMS Apollo and GTB Domino ( or should I say Playmates)
    Too bad the Apollo is not a Lunar Shot, the supposed Italian version of Apollo.
    Wonder if the Domino is actually Grande Domino ( the GTB Italian version)
    Speed Rush looks interesting,
    but not impressed with "the 100 yards"
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4125&picno=48122
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4465&picno=5502
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1501&picno=22765

#15 8 years ago

I may be interested depending on titles available and cost. Please PM me the list.

Michael

#16 8 years ago

I'd like to see a list also please.

#17 8 years ago

I may be interested

#18 8 years ago

PM sent.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

I'd like to see a list also please.

Quoted from krunch:

I may be interested

I can't attach the file in a PM, but if you PM me your e-mail address I can send it to you. It contains links to the pics of the games as well as the prices.

#21 8 years ago

I just bought 10 games from the Italian guy you speak of. He did have pretty good pictures. I've bought LOTS of containers in the past, so well versed in the troubles that will ensue. I will say that his pictures were decent. he did good playfield and backbox board pics, so i have a pretty good idea of what will or won't be there to fix. I don't kid myself, i know it will all be a screwfest of failures and work. I'm waiting for these 10 games to arrive now. should be here in the next couple weeks.

that said, his prices are just too high. yea he's got some decent titles, but the 20+years of wear is tough on these games. For example, flipper wear from ball drag (not from broken flippers or broken nylon bushings) tells me these games were really played with perhaps 50,000 to 100,000 plays. that's high mileage for any solidstate game (not EMs though.)

if his prices were about 25% less than his asking, it wouldn't be so bad. but he's right at the price edge on most titles. Frankly i couldn't find 36 games to buy from him that made any financial sense. (36 games is a half container packed full.) Factor in brokers fees, conversion to Euro, and all the parts/time you need to invest, and it just doesn't make sense (unless you're desperate for a certain title that he has.) I really had to go through his list of games very closely and do lots of math to come up with 10 games. I bought mostly stuff that you just can't get here in the U.S. I think paying current market price for games here in the U.S. is actually a better deal than getting most titles from him and paying the costs in time and parts.

Stuff that i bought included Zacarria games (which just aren't available here, since they were made in Italy!), a "Grand Prix" (Nascar for the Euro market), stuff like that. Common stuff like Addams or Attack from Mars, etc, just don't think it's worth it unless he drops his prices. And yea, he really refused to negotiate on price too. Which explains why his list of games for sale really hadn't changed much in the year that i've been getting emails from him!

A local guy to me (and a moderator here) bought a 1/2 container from him last year. I tried to talk to him about that, but he was silent (i guess that's not surprising.) But i've seen these games around the state as he's sold them. His prices are high (which is to be expected, given what he had to pay mr.italy for the raw machines). and the condition is dubious (from what i've seen), but not unexpected. All i'm saying is this... you better know how to fix machines and have lots of parts (mechanical, electrical, cosmetic) if you want these machines to turn into something decent. Me, i'm willing to do that. But a lot of people may not...

just my 2 cents...

#22 8 years ago

Are we talking about this guy (machine description and picture pasted below)?

BALLY-WILLIAMS MEDIEVAL MADNESS GOOD ORIGINAL PLAYFIELD, ONLY ONE SIDE CABINET DECALS FADED FOR THE SUN , coin door painted bad work , little wear . 1 € 6.000,00mm2.jpgmm2.jpg
    mm1.jpgmm1.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Krankypants

Thanks for emailing me the lists. How much is shipping going to add to prices ?

#24 8 years ago

Yes that's the guy

#25 8 years ago

Depending on additional costs I am very interested. Been looking for a Doc Who and Johnny for a bit and I don't care if they only ever end up being players condition games.
    Can't seem to find either one for sale locally so this might be a solution.
    Thanks!

#26 8 years ago

This is a great solution to getting some more pins out here that would be difficult to get without shipping from the east or Midwest. Not getting an amazing deal price wise but still very reasonable if you can do some work on them and are looking for some pins..

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I just bought 10 games from the Italian guy you speak of. He did have pretty good pictures.
    That said, his prices are just too high.
    I really had to go through his list of games very closely and do lots of math to come up with 10 games.

I really appreciate the information and your advice. I agree about his pricing. In some cases he is asking above Mr. Pinball Price Guide value for a few games. A very large number of them are priced too high for the trouble and cost of getting them here, but I think there are a few good deals left. I may be willing to pay a little more than some people in other areas of the country due to the fact that it is nearly impossible to find decent priced games in the northwest. I am told this is due to all of the Microsoft execs (and others too I'm sure) who have deep pockets and buy up everything they see.

One of the games that just sold off the list was a Monster Bash for around $3000 before shipping. It needed a new playfield very badly and some other work too, but that one was priced far enough below market value that I think it would be worth it to someone willing to put in the effort. Most of the games he has that have playfield wear are priced too high considering how hard it can be to fix on some games (his flipper football is a great example of this). On the other hand he still has several games with very little to no playfield wear (NBA Fastbreak is a good example), the price is a bit high but not totally outrageous.

Keep us posted on how long the container takes to arrive and what condition the games arrive in.

#28 8 years ago

JM is one of the games I would be interested in. The game he shows pics of looks to be pretty decent but with a severely faded cab. Unfortunately there is no legal place to buy cab decals for this game from. I'm sure there are plenty of bootleg places to buy them, but I don't know any of those people so therefore I have no "in" to get a set.

1300 Euro = just shy of $1500, plus shipping. Figure if you get a half container load that is what? 20 games? If the container costs $3000 to ship, that means each game would cost $150 to ship. Not unreasonable. But add that to $1500 for the game and you're at $1650. Add in parts, etc, and it gets difficult to justify in a hurry on a game that is worth what? $2K in nice condition?

Now if the game was $1K plus all of the above costs then it would be worth it, IMHO.

The seller obviously knows what these games are worth, and is pricing them right at that level where once you finish fixing/restoring them you have just a little more into them than they're resale value.

Personally I don't mind doing the work to restore the games as I rather enjoy it. But it would be nice when the game is finished to know that you could maybe make a few hundred on it if you had to sell it or another opportunity came your way.

Michael

#29 8 years ago

Would not be very surprised to see Jm go for 2200 to 2400.. I think you could make a few hundred potentially on some of these titles you just don't see come up often here. Really though perhaps better for those looking to fix up and keep for a while. Very tempting just have to find more space and convince the wife

#30 8 years ago

Games like Johnny and dr who would be poor container games. Too many potentially worn areas and motors and specialty parts.

I'm paying $2200 for my ten games' shipping, plus brokerage fees. I think a half container is more like 4000 by the way, after all the fees. And I did not get insurance! Again you really need to do the math and assume the worst. That way when the worst arrives, you're not surprised. I have a feeling any 1990s Wms game will be hammered. Did you see the who dunit and monster bash playfields??

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Would not be very surprised to see Jm go for 2200 to 2400.. I think you could make a few hundred potentially on some of these titles you just don't see come up often here. Really though perhaps better for those looking to fix up and keep for a while. Very tempting just have to find more space and convince the wife

Even if JM did go for $2400 in very nice condition you have to get it there. Considering the non-available cab decals, you'd never get it there. So let's say it sold for $2K with the faded cab. I always figure at least $250-$300 for parts plus decals, ramps, etc, as needed. Figure cost+shipping+parts and you are likely in it for around 1800-1900 best case scenario.

And that's not counting the surprises you are going to run across.

Now, if y'all don't mind, I have got to get to work and get off Pinside or my wife is going to kick my butt when she gets home!

Michael

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Games like Johnny and dr who would be poor container games. Too many potentially worn areas and motors and specialty parts.
    I'm paying $2200 for my ten games' shipping, plus brokerage fees. I think a half container is more like 4000 by the way, after all the fees. And I did not get insurance! Again you really need to do the math and assume the worst. That way when the worst arrives, you're not surprised. I have a feeling any 1990s Wms game will be hammered.

Hi Clay..

So how many games fit into a half container?

Michael

#33 8 years ago

I sold a Johnny working and shopped and faded not long ago. Took a while to get 1800.

36 game in a half if stacked. 72 in a full container.

#34 8 years ago

There's certainly the low supply and high demand here to justify some sort of importing, but it does seem like the prime time for doing that from Europe was a decade ago. Maybe there's some way to organize getting a semi load from the Midwest or East Coast?

#35 8 years ago

Most of Europe was cleaned out by the end of 2002. I can't imagine there's much left.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I sold a Johnny working and shopped and faded not long ago. Took a while to get 1800.
    36 game in a half if stacked. 72 in a full container.

I sold my *very* nice Johnny a few years ago and it took a LONG time to get $1600.

Ok so if you figure a full half container @$4K that works out to $111.11. Very reasonable. I agree with you and everyone else who says the game prices are too high. In order to justify the cost of the repairs/restoration the price of the games has to be lower. Especially when you consider that a lot of stuff is just not available.

Quoted from ecurtz:

There's certainly the low supply and high demand here to justify some sort of importing, but it does seem like the prime time for doing that from Europe was a decade ago. Maybe there's some way to organize getting a semi load from the Midwest or East Coast?

Agreed. The golden age of container games was around '95-2005. After that everything started going downhill as the best of them had already been cherry picked. I know cause several of my A-list games are reimported.

Buying a bunch of games from back east where they seem to be plentiful and hiring semi to make one trip back to the west coast could be viable if the logistical nightmare could be overcome.

It really depends on how many games get loaded up, etc. Someone would have to coordinate the loading from a central location because there's no way a driver is going to stop at 50 places to pick up games. So there are costs associated with that too.

Someone would basically have to be hired to go around and pick up all the games, pack and prep for shipment if not already done, then deliver to a central warehouse for shipping. There are plenty of truck lines that could handle it though.

Michael

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Most of Europe was cleaned out by the end of 2002. I can't imagine there's much left.

If you are talking specifically about getting great deals on good games from the 90's then I agree. If you are talking about Pinball games in general then I am pretty sure there are still a ton of Stern games in Europe. I assume most of the games this guy sells are operators getting rid of old inventory to make room for new Stern games. If the Euro takes a major dump we will probably see much more aggressive pricing once again. This is just my opinion along with some educated guessing.

#38 8 years ago

Even 4000 may be light for a half container. Last time I did a half container, about 2005 from the uk, it was 150 per game shipping for 32 games. I can't imagine shipping costs have gone down since then.

Note this time, since I bought just 10 games, they are palletized, two to a pallet. Again could not find 36 games from this list that made financial sense. Floated out emails to friends and they mostly weren't interested either - prices too high for the risk involved. Don't under estimate the risk!!

Initially I just wanted to buy four zacarria games. But he would not even talk to me until I reached $10k in prices! That's how I ended up with 10 games.

#39 8 years ago

Way better off doing an "American Picker" roadtrip to the Mid-West, maybe even Chicago with a Sprinter. You would end up with better titles of your choice, less rash, less cash, less repairs. (I've done this before myself). Hell, I would even have more confidence buying a bunch of games from "FUN" in Texas. YMMV, gotta hate west coast prices...

#40 8 years ago

If you want to buy games, go to the Allentown show in May. Best show for price and selection.

#41 8 years ago

We are still working with a container we got from Spain back in 2013. You really need to know what your are doing when it comes to fixing these games. Yes it is fun but the fun slowly disappears as you work your way through it.

Just for starters you will need to know basic electronics, cabinet work, playfield repair or how to do a playfield swap and it is not for the faint of heart but I will say it is very rewarding too if you have the time and resources to do it.

The reason we did it? Was to flesh out our own collections and pass on the other games to other liked minded collectors that would like to restore their own games the way they wanted without paying someone else to do it and pass the savings on to them.

There was a total of 32 games, 3 where swapped out for games we didn't buy like a non working bugs bunny for a second white water and I could go on but we still consider it a part of the process and figured it was part of the experience.

Currently we still have and all are various stages of working/projects,

CFTBL
    Getaway
    DE Star Wars
    Bugs Bunny
    Safe Cracker
    Scared Stiff
    Medieval Madness
    Champion Pub
    Theatre of Magic
    White Water
    Stargate

Listen to people like cfh and fellow pinsider's that have gone down the rabbit hole and be prepared for wild ride and don't risk money you can not afford to lose.

image2.jpegimage2.jpeg image1.jpegimage1.jpeg
    #42 8 years ago

i would like to stress the adage from above, "don't risk money you can't afford to loose." That's why i didn't bother with insurance on the ten games i bought. maybe dumb... but i figured what the shipping company could do to my games was nothing compared to what the Italian public already did to them!

#43 8 years ago

that all said i love buying games in mass. be it a warehouse raid or a container (or half a container.) Just today all the good deals are really gone. Again if the Italian guy just had price about 25% less, he would sell all those games. But i look at his list (he sends it out every month), and see games on there for a long long time. i think the good deal games get sold quickly. i would love to buy maybe one or two games at a time from him, but he can't be bothered. he wants at least $10k in sales to talk to you. i just can't make the math work... and man, as someone that has a game buying problem, i really really TRY to make the math work!

#44 8 years ago

Even Allentown was a bust this year, at least for me. I used to come down and get a few decent projects for reasonable dollars, but this time the pickings were pretty slim. Pinball is popular again and the prices reflect that.

#45 8 years ago

I just sent an update to everyone who let me know they were interested in more information. If you want info on the games available and didn't get an e-mail from me send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send the price list to you along with the games that have been spoken for already.

#46 8 years ago

Another update. We now have enough people interested in games to meet the minimum required order. I am still working on the shipment details and the payment details, but I should know a lot more of the details by early next week. I also hope to get an update on Clay's order before we exchange any actual money.

If anyone in the North West (or willing to drive here) is interested in finding out more, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a list of what is available.

#47 8 years ago

i'd be interested in seeing the list.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from BlobfishXL:

i'd be interested in seeing the list.

Send me a PM with your email address

#49 8 years ago

Still waiting on the shipping quote. I think Maurizio has been off the last 2 days. I have talked to a few more people who have bought from these guys in the past. I will be sending out an e-mail to everyone who has responded with an update as soon as I have a base shipping cost to work with.

#50 8 years ago

We are up to 19 games on the order which helps keep the shipping cost per game down. I have shipping set up except for the final destination. We just need to find somewhere with a dock to unload these quickly. If you are interested in getting in on this purchase, send me a PM with your email address.

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/northwest-container-pinball-buyers-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.