(Topic ID: 84110)

Northeast WI Pinball Tournament Sat. May 31st 2014 Appleton, WI. One Spot Open!

By TomGWI

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-717.jpg
    image-276.jpg
    image-147.jpg
    image-993.jpg
    image-341.jpg
    image-172.jpg
    image-1432.jpg
    image-946.jpg
    adventure-time-dance-party.gif
    image-772.jpg
    image-6.jpg
    10370699_10100756729096216_1162793011_n.jpg
    image-347.jpg
    image-187.jpg
    There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago

Things went perfectly Tom! We had a blast and THANKS so much for doing this!!! I can't stress enough, thanks to all the helpers. I enjoyed being able to really play in an event for the first time.

I think i need to stop buying and fixing and start practicing if i have any chance of playing in the big leagues.
    I may also need to actually purchase a Stern game at some point just so i can practice on them.

#102 9 years ago

P.s. ceddy is gung ho on ST after playing yours

I am interested to hear what the problem was after you figure it out. I was thinking that you should check the trough optos and see if they are loose at the connectors or need reflow... They seem to be an issue on ST and they can screw with other things when flakey connection happening.

#103 9 years ago

Thanks again to Tom and everyone else that helped make the tournament a success. I think everyone had a good time and got to play some good pinball.

The big question - who clogged the crapper???

#104 9 years ago

Thanks so much to Tom, Chris, and Tully for the great tourney! Thanks to Tom's wife for the excellent food! There is SO much work that goes into a tourney like this and it is very appreciated. There were so many awesome players and it was a fun day all around. Thanks to Art for NOT picking Family guy near the end of the tourney against me...I think I was close to committing an assassination on a pinball for the first time. I have threatened trevisms Roy Clark several times mind you.
    Good call on the clogger, Eric.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Had a blast. Played like shit.

I just got an idea for a T-shirt!

#106 9 years ago

I had a blast too! I was fading at the end of the semis, though, started doing stupid things with the flippers. Just as well, I don't think I could have lasted much longer. I never realized what a marathon these turn into. I got home and zonked.

Anyone looking askance at Tom winning "his own tourney" should know that he earned it same as anyone else could have. There were a lot a excellent players there and I feel lucky to have done as well as I did. Congrats Tom, and all the winners!

Tom, thanks to you and Michelle for a great day! Thanks to Chris and Steve, and Eric, too! Tom, the place is looking great, it's a freakin' Pinball Valhalla. I had to chuckle when I saw the two up in the living room (if temporarily), your wife is very understanding of your non-life threatening illness. (With some wives, it would be life threatening!)

Great talking to a lot of you guys I may have seen around MGC and never chatted with. All in all a great bunch of people, to be sure!

My only regret is that I forgot that big trophy was (oddly) for the mini! I might have given it more than two tries, instead of being satisfied with second!

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from tmac:

I just got an idea for a T-shirt!

Hey TMac, is that the next shirt for the Wauna-pinball-tourney? Careful, Hilton might want royalties.

#108 9 years ago

you gonna do another one next year, Tom?

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Thanks again to Tom and everyone else that helped make the tournament a success. I think everyone had a good time and got to play some good pinball.
    The big question - who clogged the crapper???

Werdrick did not show or else it would have been him

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

you gonna do another one next year, Tom?

Hopefully this one did not scare him off from hosting WI SCS this year?

#111 9 years ago

Looks like it was a blast! Good job, Tom & crew.

The ST premium at Logan Arcade went all kittywampus about a month back. As mentioned above, it had a trough issue. Games would end during multiball or wouldn't end when the ball drained. Jumpers from Stern were installed and it's been fine since.

#112 9 years ago

Also, your new pup kicks butt. Super cool dog! Smart move naming him kermit. I am sure that will help convince the family that muppets is a must own

#113 9 years ago

Hey guys. Thanks. I really appreciate it. We will definitely do it again next year.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Hey guys. Thanks. I really appreciate it. We will definitely do it again next year.

Is there anything in the works for this years SCS? I really like the idea of alternating between MKE, Appleton, and Madison as those are the hot beds of pinball players in the state.

#115 9 years ago

I really have no idea. I don't decide the location. I did offer to host.

#116 9 years ago

Tom, Thanks for putting on such a great first tournament. I thought everything was very well planned out and your games all played great! -I just wish I could have played up to the level of your fine collection Your Stern games absolutely destroyed me! Thanks also to Michelle for lunch, and for putting up with all of us pinball dudes for the entire day. Glad to hear you're planning to do another one next year! Congrats on winning as well, that is no small feat against the strong competition that was in attendance!

#117 9 years ago

The amount of fun I had was directly opposed to how well I played. So... I had a blast. Thanks Tom!

#118 9 years ago

Winning is no small feet when also hosting. You played amazingly well for dealing with the added distraction!

If anyone wants to complain about you winning your own event then i would challenge them to do it themselves.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Winning is no small feet when also hosting. You played amazingly well for dealing with the added distraction!
    If anyone wants to complain about you winning your own event then i would challenge them to do it themselves.

Exactly. If I tried to hold a tournament I doubt I'd have the energy to attempt to compete at all, much less win!

#120 9 years ago

Wait...did you say we're doing it again next year? Dammit! Just kidding...I had a blast and it was an honor watching such amazing players. I'd say things went very smoothly and everyone seemed pretty happy. We really had a fun and nice group of players, which definitely helps. It was nice seeing so many familiar faces and meeting a few new ones.

Was a great day, and I'm 100% in for doing it again (even though I still say you are nuts for doing it, LOL!).

-"Official Chris"

#121 9 years ago

Thank you to Tom, Michelle, Chris, Steve, Hilton, Kermit and everyone else who helped put on such a great tourney! Those games were phenomenal. I couldn't have lost to a nicer Family Guy than Tom! 0 losses for the day was quite a feat. Bravo!

Thanks TJE for riding the Highway to Hell on ACDC with me all day.

#122 9 years ago

+1 to all the positive comments above! Thanks Tom, Michelle, and family for having us over. What a great tourney to add to all the other great tourneys Wisconsin has these days. Many hearty laughs were had, and much great pinball played!

Pics posted here: http://www.wisconsinpinball.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=289&p=2927#p2927

#123 9 years ago

Hey Guys. Thanks for all the positive comments. Michelle was really happy with the way things went (which is more then half the battle). We will do it again next year.
    I have not gone through the games yet. I actually left this morning at 7:30am to go to Chicago for my nephew's party. I got back about an hour ago and am going to start getting stats off to IFPA.
    It amazed me how some of the games had issues but I do like fixing stuff so it will give me some things to work on.
    TAF - Switch Matrix issue - looks like connector will need replacing or cold solder joint
    Shadow - Battlefield Kicker stopped working
    STLE - drop target going crazy as well as punch it button - opto likely will need some investigation
    CFTBL - ColorDMD blank????? Driver Board? DMDBoard? ColorDMD? Ribbon Cable?
    IM - Monger started dropping in the semi finals on Chris & I's last game (his last ball). We restarted and same issue so we threw the game out (I was winning but it was obvious the game malfunctioned) so we moved to Tron.
    WH2O - left Flipper sticking - was rebuilt a year ago
    - balls getting stuck in VUK

That's pinball.

It was extremely warm in the basement will 38 people done there. A/C and fans helped but still hot when you have that many people and a bunch of games running. I have to say it wasn't as bad as my last party I had.
    Big thanks to DanQ for bringing one of the fans and Thanks to Neo for putting a can of soda right next too it. :p

It was a great day and thanks again for all the positive comments.

PS: Go BlackHawks.

Tom.

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

Thank you to Tom, Michelle, Chris, Steve, Hilton, Kermit and everyone else who helped put on such a great tourney! Those games were phenomenal. I couldn't have lost to a nicer Family Guy than Tom! 0 losses for the day was quite a feat. Bravo!
    Thanks TJE for riding the Highway to Hell on ACDC with me all day.

I loved riding the Highway to Hell with you Art, it was a blast! I never seem to get sick of that song either. What a great game! Thanks to you Art, Mike, and Steve for playing pinball with me all day. Such an awesome time!

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

It was extremely warm in the basement will 38 people done there. A/C and fans helped but still hot when you have that many people and a bunch of games running. I have to say it wasn't as bad as my last party I had.

I thought you did a good job keeping the rooms cool and non-humid (keeping games off, running A/C and fans). I'd go so far as to say it was luxurious compared to a lot of the other pinball venues I've been to, private or public. Usually it gets cramped and hot and you bump into sweaty people constantly, and there was very little of that in the basement.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

Usually it gets cramped and hot and you bump into sweaty people constantly, and there was very little of that in the basement.

Sounds like I wasn't doing my fair share of bumpin' and grindin' that evening!

#127 9 years ago

Yes, a very great time and thanks again for hosting. The fans did help a lot, and I really didn't notice being too warm much at all.

Great to hang out with an awesome group (as always) and glad a good time was had by all. Good to see the regulars and great to see & meet a few new faces. Extra special thanks to Michelle & the kids for putting up with everything!

Looking forward to next time!

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

"your fair share?!!" Yikes, glad I had to leave early!

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

I dunno, you looked pretty beat by the end of the night. You played a ton of pinball to get to the end. You may not have been doing a lot of bumpin', but there was no doubt you were grinding. It was great meeting you and playing a few games with you!

#130 9 years ago

Yeah, Art had some amazing games and left some high scores to show for it.

#131 9 years ago

I know what to bring Tom as a gift for next years tourney.

*DISCLAIMER: This is not an admission of guilt.

http://i.imgur.com/v4inNXM.gif

#132 9 years ago

admitting it or not, we all know it was you... We all know it was not Tim after a week of pure chili diet.

What is it with pinball people clogging everyone's crapper and not claiming it?

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

admitting it or not, we all know it was you... We all know it was not Tim after a week of pure chili diet.
    What is it with pinball people clogging everyone's crapper and not claiming it?

Definitely wasnt me... i make it a point to leave my gifts at home. If it were an emergency, I would have been outside with Kermit. Was a crappy moment for sure (no pun intended).

#134 9 years ago

New rule for events. #8 Courtesy Flush. So let it be written so let it be done!

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from tmac:

New rule for events. #8 Courtesy Flush. So let it be written so let it be done!

So say we all!

#136 9 years ago

that would have been the picture of the whole event, LOL

Tim and Kermit both pinching a loaf in the back yard.

#137 9 years ago

This sounds fun! Sad I missed it!

#138 9 years ago

Results are up at http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=1378#results

I accidentally left out a digit on R. Anderson for the side tournament and sent an email to the IFPA to correct it.

#139 9 years ago

looks like side event has an error with Sam Biejer? unless I missed it and someone flew over from overseas just for the side event?

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

looks like side event has an error with Sam Biejer? unless I missed it and someone flew over from overseas just for the side event?

Read post above your post.

#141 9 years ago

oh, I misunderstood...

you left out an IFPA number digit

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

oh, I misunderstood...
    you left out an IFPA number digit

Yeah. When I sent the email I had it right for the main tourney and left out a digit on the side tournament.

#143 9 years ago

I am told soon the IFPA has more improvements coming which will make things easier for directors to submit results and fix errors.

Thanks for getting stuff in so quickly Tom!

#144 9 years ago

Thanks for getting these in so quickly although I see you've bumped me out of the #2 spot in the State Standings.-Well deserved though after your recent performances!

#145 9 years ago

I now regeret not tossing more $ at the side event. If I could have just put up 1 decnt score on that damn FT!!!

Looks like I will be fighting to stay in top 16 the way competition is heating up in WI. Werdrick may also want to think twice about coming to WI SCS this year the way some of you guys are playing.

No matter what, I think this year we shoudl start a side fund and buy a custom UW Badgers jersey for whomeever wins WI so they can represent with pride at nationals!

#146 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks for getting these in so quickly although I see you've bumped me out of the #2 spot in the State Standings.-Well deserved though after your recent performances!

Thanks Mike. I still fear playing you again in the WSC after you knocked me out last year.

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I now regeret not tossing more $ at the side event. If I could have just put up 1 decnt score on that damn FT!!!
    Looks like I will be fighting to stay in top 16 the way competition is heating up in WI. Werdrick may also want to think twice about coming to WI SCS this year the way some of you guys are playing.
    No matter what, I think this year we shoudl start a side fund and buy a custom UW Badgers jersey for whomeever wins WI so they can represent with pride at nationals!

He has to defend his title.

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Thanks Mike. I still fear playing you again in the WSC after you knocked me out last year.

The feeling's mutual Tom I had to dig pretty deep in this year's WSC to get by you. That ball 3 on TZ basically saved me. One thing for sure is that next year won't be any easier for anyone! Between all the new leagues and tournaments in our State the skill level of everyone is definitely going up. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the final standings.

#149 9 years ago

That ball 3 on TZ was amazing. I thought I had the game won and you blew me out of the water so to speak. It was a great match and a lot of fun.
    Yeah, there are certainly a lot more happening in WI and I hope that continues. I'm already getting pumped for Mad Rollins.

#150 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This has been corrected on the IFPA website.

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/northeast-wi-pinball-tournament-sat-june-7th-2014-appleton-wi/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.