(Topic ID: 289032)

Northeast US Collectors (Get your subs, soda, & NY style pizza here!)

By ForceFlow

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Goyomex
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210516_193243 (resized).jpg
    20210515_154656 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8214 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7293 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0049 (resized).JPG
    b019831cdf29acd6bd0068d868b87f26_-united-states-connecticut-new-london-county-new-london-sonnys-market-860-443-9716htm (resized)
    DF8D4742-EC0B-44F6-9C3E-F1BDC5487BF0 (resized).jpeg
    D400EB9F-1B10-478E-9918-5B6271ECAFE5 (resized).jpeg
    F48DFCB0-333A-4E3B-85AB-8756C9F72FFE (resized).jpeg
    9CF59A20-7D89-4B23-86F9-2A381A880446 (resized).jpeg
    7F4777E2-9AA1-46F2-A4EC-D1E8868E6930 (resized).jpeg
    11141AC8-8FDD-415C-A84C-CDFCBFD8A1F4 (resized).jpeg
    5854A502-F401-439D-9571-3F0175B48481 (resized).jpeg
    Filet1 (resized).jpg
    139795130_10158804615201271_3377233186795350199_n (resized).jpg
    131528332_10158740747301271_2195344449168399882_n (resized).jpg
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Moving some of the friendly banter from the Northeast US FS thread into here.

What's for lunch?

#2 3 years ago

Ok, I'm not usually a huge fan of all the different NYC pizza, but there is just something special about grabbing a slice and walking over to one of the theatres for a broadway show. I make the walk with it folded over in my hand, scarf down as much as time allows, and then run into the theatre. Great times!

#3 3 years ago

Conti’s pizza in Princeton - pizza only.

Strokers in shrewsburry.

#4 3 years ago

Since 1996 I've lived in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Jersey City and now I'm in Buffalo. It turns out the pizza is also pretty great here, plus it comes with proper wings. I'm pretty torn on my favorite. Just kidding, it's Paulie Gee's in Brooklyn.

Also I'm looking for a Star Gazer thanks.

#5 3 years ago

Cheesesteaks: can you get good ones outside of Philly/burbs? I've had some decent ones out in Lancaster county.

Pop or soda?

Oh, and #paytheboob

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, I'm not usually a huge fan of all the different NYC pizza, but there is just something special about grabbing a slice and walking over to one of the theatres for a broadway show. I make the walk with it folded over in my hand, scarf down as much as time allows, and then run into the theatre. Great times!

You should try this move sometime -

Do it at intermission. You got like 15 minutes, more than enough time to run out and grab a slice and make it back in time for the second half. You really gotta bolt out of your seat though and hit the bathroom before the lines to make this work.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Also I'm looking for a Star Gazer thanks.

No pinball in the food thread!!!

Or so help me god I'll bomb this forum with tons of bullshit!!!!

#8 3 years ago

I like turtles....and Sal's pizza!

#9 3 years ago

LOL. thanks! Some were getting pretty upset.

Best Philly foods
    Cheese Steaks
    Scrapple!!

#10 3 years ago

Selling a restored Joker Poker and blinged out Tron pro. Nobody tell TheRave or @mpdpvdpin.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Selling a restored Joker Poker and blinged out Tron pro. Nobody tell therave or mpdpvdpin.

Lol, now that's funny. Thinking those guys were just "hangry" after all the sandwich talk.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No pinball in the food thread!!!
    Or so help me god I'll bomb this forum with tons of bullshit!!!!

OK does anybody have a nice Diner?

(bullshit bombs: you've got 'em and the hungry tri-state masses want 'em. Gimmee!)

#13 3 years ago

I think many of have us been able to sample many of the great eats at Allentown Farmers Market. I never had anything bad there yet!

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

OK does anybody have a nice Diner?
    (bullshit bombs: you've got 'em and the hungry tri-state masses want 'em. Gimmee!)

Was just thinking about Diner the other day. Owned one a few years back but haven't seen many of them pop up for sale since then. Maybe should've kept it.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Cheesesteaks: can you get good ones outside of Philly/burbs? I've had some decent ones out in Lancaster county.
    Pop or soda?
    Oh, and #paytheboob

Yes, yes you can

https://tillyscheesesteaks.com

Plugging this again, if you ever find yourself near Torrington, CT and like an A+++ Italian sub hit this place up. I regularly make the 1.5 hour drive there just to get one.

https://www.carbonesmarketllc.com

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Plugging this again, if you ever find yourself near Torrington, CT and like an A+++ Italian sub hit this place up. I regularly make the 1.5 hour drive there just to get one.
    https://www.carbonesmarketllc.com

Not sure how this place can make a profit on these since they layer on so much. Need to eat these things with a knife and fork!

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from sagejr:

Not sure how this place can make a profit on these since they layer on so much. Need to eat these things with a knife and fork!

For real. Like I said in the other thread, that small comes out to about 2.5# of meat. It's three meals for me. Two if I am in training mode. This is the closest I have seen to a NY style Italian sub anywhere. Hands down my fave sub shop.

If you find yourself in RI and like cheesesteaks Tilly's is a must stop. It's another place I don't mind making the drive out for.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

If you find yourself in RI and like cheesesteaks Tilly's is a must stop.

Which reminds me: Why does it seem like the RI contingent have some kind of Napoleon complex on this forum. Is that state really so lacking in a sense of humor? This isn't the first time I've seen it. They look all cute and cuddly, then next thing you know--like a little Yorkie--they're ripping your face off. I don't get it.

And yeah...cheesesteak is good.

PS - Doing this breakout thread was a great idea, but has just created two boring threads now. That's what happens when people shit on a good time. Reminds me of a scene from Animal House...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #19 3 years ago

I make the best barbecue in the northeast. Raised in the Carolinas and love to smoke meat. I built winning race cars in Nascar and love to cook

IMG_7463 (resized).jpgIMG_7463 (resized).jpg
    #20 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I make the best barbecue in the northeast. Raised in the Carolinas and love to smoke meat. I built winning race cars in Nascar and love to cook [quoted image]

I challenge you to a duel...

131384149_10158740747236271_7901260713800168113_n (resized).jpg131384149_10158740747236271_7901260713800168113_n (resized).jpg131528332_10158740747301271_2195344449168399882_n (resized).jpg131528332_10158740747301271_2195344449168399882_n (resized).jpg139795130_10158804615201271_3377233186795350199_n (resized).jpg139795130_10158804615201271_3377233186795350199_n (resized).jpg
    #21 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I make the best barbecue in the northeast. Raised in the Carolinas and love to smoke meat. I built winning race cars in Nascar and love to cook [quoted image]

That looks fricken delicious. I'm a huge BBQ'er and love to smoke as well. I take slight issue with your self-proclaimed "best in the northeast" title - but i'll defer as I've yet to unbury my smokers from 3' of snow since moving to NJ from CA (where I could smoke year-round). Can't wait til Spring!

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I challenge you to a duel...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

After the world opens up, I will volunteer my services to judge this competition. In the end, I’ll be well fed, which is the whole goal. Then I’ll declare myself the winner and we can all go play some pinball!

#23 3 years ago

Thinking we need to start a new thread....Northeast, the Smokers. While not from my smoker, here's a bit of my BBQ handiwork

Filet1 (resized).jpgFilet1 (resized).jpg
    #24 3 years ago

I love a challenge.....

It's all fun ladies and gentlemen. I enjoy making good food and the friendship. If you ever have chance come with me to North Carolina and we can enjoy the Lexington barbecue festival

#25 3 years ago

Pinball and smoked meats?!! Sounds like heaven!

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Pinball and smoked meats?!! Sounds like heaven!

Throw in a few good beers and I'm in!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from sagejr:

Sounds like a new pinball event in the making. I don’t smoke or brew beer but like to consume them both.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from sagejr:

MA vs CT : Treehouse/Trillium vs Back East/NEBCo

I think MA wins that one

#29 3 years ago

Here’s some games for sale in the NE.

11141AC8-8FDD-415C-A84C-CDFCBFD8A1F4 (resized).jpeg11141AC8-8FDD-415C-A84C-CDFCBFD8A1F4 (resized).jpeg5854A502-F401-439D-9571-3F0175B48481 (resized).jpeg5854A502-F401-439D-9571-3F0175B48481 (resized).jpeg7F4777E2-9AA1-46F2-A4EC-D1E8868E6930 (resized).jpeg7F4777E2-9AA1-46F2-A4EC-D1E8868E6930 (resized).jpeg9CF59A20-7D89-4B23-86F9-2A381A880446 (resized).jpeg9CF59A20-7D89-4B23-86F9-2A381A880446 (resized).jpegD400EB9F-1B10-478E-9918-5B6271ECAFE5 (resized).jpegD400EB9F-1B10-478E-9918-5B6271ECAFE5 (resized).jpegF48DFCB0-333A-4E3B-85AB-8756C9F72FFE (resized).jpegF48DFCB0-333A-4E3B-85AB-8756C9F72FFE (resized).jpeg
    #30 3 years ago

https://www.jsdeliri.com/

This is where you get consistent grinders. Everything is weighed and made to order.
    Very unique menu. Try it out if you are in the neighborhood.
    -Mike

#31 3 years ago

What a bunch of Rascals.....Thinking the RI crew is trying to wreck this thread with a bunch of for sale posts!? Here’s som-more BBQ. Burnt ends!

DF8D4742-EC0B-44F6-9C3E-F1BDC5487BF0 (resized).jpegDF8D4742-EC0B-44F6-9C3E-F1BDC5487BF0 (resized).jpeg

#32 3 years ago

I love pizza. These two are the best, and yes NY proper of course, not upstate.

John's of Bleecker St - West Village (NYC). Best regular slice.

Umberto's - Long Island (Lake Grove). Best sicilian slice. I will freeze it when I see my parents and drive it back to Pitts (which has terrible pizza and people call slices, cuts. My god).

#33 3 years ago

Utica NY

O'Scugnizzo Pizzeria

Is amazing

Love this thread

#34 3 years ago

New Park Pizza , Howard Beach NY .
    And ... fk pineapple pizza

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Utica NY
    O'Scugnizzo Pizzeria
    Is amazing
    Love this thread

Tomato Pie from Napoli. I make the drive a couple of times a year just to get some.

Oh, and I've never had a good meal in Rhode Island.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I love a challenge.....
    It's all fun ladies and gentlemen. I enjoy making good food and the friendship. If you ever have chance come with me to North Carolina and we can enjoy the Lexington barbecue festival

I would definitely love to talk shop with you some time. I love cooking and BBQ and always enjoy meeting new smokers.

Quoted from dmacy:

Sounds like a new pinball event in the making. I don’t smoke or brew beer but like to consume them both.

All summer long the games are on and the smoker is going. I joke that once we all get our shots I am going to have a three day smoke fest.

#37 3 years ago

Ok, so I’m trying to recall if I have all the regional names down for the type of sandwich you buy at Subway:

Subs
    Grinders
    Hoagies
    Wedges (this is a weird Westchester term)
    Hero

Any others?

#38 3 years ago

I'm thinking about putting my extra Diamond Jack up for trades........
    Oh,,,,,,,, hang on. Got confused..

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

Ok, so I’m trying to recall if I have all the regional names down for the type of sandwich you buy at Subway:
    Subs
    Grinders
    Hoagies
    Hero
    Any others?

In CT they are called grinders and where they are made grinder shops.

Why? I have no idea. Lot of hole in the wall Italian places make them. Been that way since the 70's or longer.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

Subs
    Grinders
    Hoagies
    Hero
    Any others?

LOL, Yea, I grew up in Westchester. They were called wedges back in the day ( pre Civil War in my case . )

Hoagies is a Philly / PA term.

Call em subs in North Jersey.

And I remember Grinders in the Schenectady/Albany/Saratoga era from the 70's.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Why? I have no idea. Lot of hole in the wall Italian places make them. Been that way since the 70's or longer.

Ya but what's weird is that Subway was founded in Bridgeport CT 50 years ago as Pete's Super Submarines. Subway is still headquartered in Milford CT near Mike Jr. at Automated. Back then they used to call them "Submarines". A few years later they changed their name to Pete's Subway and then started franchising as Subway. They obviously don't call them grinders. The guy who works at the subway near me asks me "what do you want on your sandwich?" when I go there.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

In nearly every mom 'n' pop place around me, and there's A LOT of them, you simply say "I want a WHOLE/HALF Tuna/Roast Beef/Turkey/Veggie/etc. with lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, etc." and they know what you mean. They'll then ask if you want it hot or cold. But we always refer to them as grinders, unless you are at an actual Subway restaurant, they are then called subs, lol.

Another central CT thing, is the house special pizza; it doesn't matter where you order it from, it will universally have ground sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, hamburger, and, the only variable, anchovies. You order by saying " I want a L/M/S special" (which automatically comes with anchovies), or "I want a L/M/S special without anchovies". Akin to ordering a cheesesteak in Philly, you say "wit whiz" for cheese whiz.

A real peculiarity is the Wedge, which is a grinder/sub/hoagie, but only called this in Fairfield and Westchester counties.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

LOL, Yea, I grew up in Westchester. They were called wedges back in the day ( pre Civil War in my case . )

I am from Albany and I never heard of "grinders". We called them "subs", but then that was the 80s

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

I am from Albany and I never heard of "grinders". We called them "subs", but then that was the 80s

Sonny been calling them grinders since 1968. Must be a regional thing.

b019831cdf29acd6bd0068d868b87f26_-united-states-connecticut-new-london-county-new-london-sonnys-market-860-443-9716htm (resized)b019831cdf29acd6bd0068d868b87f26_-united-states-connecticut-new-london-county-new-london-sonnys-market-860-443-9716htm (resized)
    #45 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

[quoted image]

Man, that looks like Schenectady .

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

We called them "subs", but then that was the 80s

You wanna go way back, you might remember the "Neba" shops. I think there's only one left, but the one at Central and Colvin is one of my favorite places from my childhood that's gone. Where in the city did you grow up (PM me if you prefer)?

Quoted from gdonovan:

I know literally every inch of my city... that place ain't here.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I know literally every inch of my city... that place ain't here.

Sonny's is in CT.

https://www.facebook.com/sonnysmarketandgrinders/

sulli10 was just saying the photo *looked* like Schenectady

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sonny's is in CT. sulli10 was just saying the photo *looked* like Schenectady

Correct, New London CT.

I have been buying grinders there since I was in 5th grade and took the kids there when they were old enough. Sonnys once catered to the Electric Boat crowd in their heyday and you would stop in and the whole family would be making grinders like mad for the lunch shift.

Imagine 14,000-20,000 submarine builders all getting out the same time for lunch! Bridge street was to be avoided around noon and 4PM as the mass of workers were on the move. The highway was like a tidal wave of cars coming at you.

The street to the left of the green assembly buildings? Nothing but mom and pop restaurants and bars. The bars made one hell of a killing back in the day.

IMG_0049 (resized).JPGIMG_0049 (resized).JPG
    #49 3 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I would definitely love to talk shop with you some time. I love cooking and BBQ and always enjoy meeting new smokers.

I have people stopping at our house when they see the smoke coming from the back yard. My wife loves to entertain and play pinball with her friends and family.

Happy to share things I use to smoke with and the rubs I use.
    IMG_7293 (resized).jpgIMG_7293 (resized).jpg

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

I grew up in CT as the kid of a philly boy turned sub engineer, and then moved to NYC and Westchester for a while, so I feel like I’m the central hub of all these terms.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/northeast-us-collectors-get-your-subs-soda-amp-ny-style-pizza-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.