6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FlipperMech (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

I have recently received a bally '75 and need some flipper repair. I live in the Sherman Texas area and was wondering if anyone knows a good tech man that would travel to me

#3 6 years ago

Pinsmith (Evan) might travel up that far.

http://thepinsmith.com/

That's the only paid tech I actually know. I do all my own work so..

*edit* Paying an awful lot of money for a really easy fix if all you need is a flipper rebuild. Just saying.

#4 6 years ago

I am a new first time owner and I just signed up here last week. I do see that it is a wealth of knowledge. I am not comfortable with electronics but would like to learn in time. I am not even sure it is a rebuild. It has gone limp and goes all the way down straight. It still flips when you push the button. It is a Bally 1975 bow and arrow

#5 6 years ago

Perhaps loose set screw?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from longroad:

I am a new first time owner and I just signed up here last week. I do see that it is a wealth of knowledge. I am not comfortable with electronics but would like to learn in time. I am not even sure it is a rebuild. It has gone limp and goes all the way down straight. It still flips when you push the button. It is a Bally 1975 bow and arrow

Sounds like it's just loose in the pawl/crank. There's usually like two set screws/hex nuts (depends on the era...the hex nuts are usually newer stuff.) that keep the flipper shaft engaged with the crank.

Manual is here: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=362

Page 20, you'll see it marked "lever arm assembly". And there's a ( (.) ) shaped circle with two things sticking out in a Y position from the center...those are the set screws. If you can rotate the flipper in the pawl while holding the solenoid plunger still, it's loose. You just need to set the flipper to the correct angle and tighten those screws. You want the plunger and linkage to be fully extended when you do this, and for there to be a 1mm gap or so between the assembly and the plastic bushing that goes through the playfield when it's tight. You want a tiny bit of play in the mech to keep it from binding up!

And don't forget. Turn the power off FIRST.

FlipperMech (resized).pngFlipperMech (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

How do I access all of this? Pull the glass out and then does the whole playing field lift up somehow?

#8 6 years ago

Yes. Unplug game. Unlock the coin door. There will be a lever on the top side of the coin door inside the cabinet that will either slide right to left, or flip down, to release the lockdown bar. Take off the lockdown bar, slide the glass out. Remove the ball (Single ball em, you can usually just nudge it from the drain into the shooter lane with your finger. Playfield rests on a metal bar by two metal brackets. You can lift up from the apron/arch above the drain hole by the flippers, in most cases to raise it. Shouldn't take a lot. Some games might need a nudge from underneath, especially if they've been sitting a long time.

There will likely be some kind of prop bar or rod in the right side of the cabinet that is meant to rest the playfield at ~30 degree upward angle or so, but frankly...those things suck, and most people just lift it up all the way and rest it against the head. You may have to slide it forward towards you a little bit to do that, and back in when you lower it. None of this should take a large amount of force. If something feels stuck...it is, and you might have to lift up the back of the playfield to slide it a little, etc. Most EM games don't have any protection against pulling it out too far and dropping it in the front of the cabinet, so can be wary of that.

There's another option....which....is not exactly kosher, and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm an idiot for doing this, but I do it anyways..... which is to rest the flipper mech brackets on the lockdown bar reciever. Risk is you potentially bend the coil brackets, or pull out the screws from the wood if you mess it up badly, and it's not as secure as having the playfield up against the head. The only time I really do that is when I'm making quick little adjustments like changing a flipper out. Modern games have rails and pegs that makes servicing a little bit easier. =\

*edit* Oh, and don't set the glass down on a hard floor. Use a folded towel if you need to. Tempered glass (it SHOULD be...it might not be with EMs...) doesn't like contacting hard things on the edges or sudden temperature changes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/north-texas-tech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.