(Topic ID: 286906)

North Star Schematic

By RobAquinas

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Does anyone have a clearer schematic than the one available on IPMD? I am trying to diagnose a couple of issues and can't quite make out the switch configurations.

#2 3 years ago

If you describe the problem someone here should be able to help you diagnose it. Otherwise you can order a schematic from pbresource.com or other online vendors.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

The first problem is that when the tilt bob is in place the game starts up but moves to game over as soon as a point is scored. When the bob is removed, the game plays normally. The bob is not making contact with anything other than where you hang it.

#4 3 years ago

Does it go to game over or does it tilt? Usually the TB/Tilt relay trips if it tilts and the XB/Game Over relay trips if the game ends. The Tilt and Game Over lights are driven by these two relays.

There are three parallel tilt switches in this game, each connects a yellow+green wire to a maroon-yellow wire. The tilt bob is one. Another may be a rolling ball or mercury switch near the tilt bob. The third is probably mounted below the playfield or in the backbox. If the game is tilting it could be any of those three are closing due to vibrations. Does it do the same thing if you gently pound on the playfield or backbox? Does it do it for any score value (1, 10 or 100 points)?

#5 3 years ago

There is no separate tilt light or function that I have seen. It just displays game over.

I do not see a rolling ball or mercury tilt mechanism. There are two weighted tilt switches in the base in addition to the bob. Both of them appear to have space between the contacts. Does anyone have a picture of the appropriate spacing for the tilt switch next to the bob?

#6 3 years ago

There are several weighted switches in the game. Not all of them are tilt switches. Use the wire colors I mentioned to identify the tilt switches.

The TB/Tilt relay and XB/Game Over relay are two different things. The tilt bob and tilt switches should trip the TB relay and turn on the Tilt light. The XB/Game Over relay (and the O/Match relay) should trip when the 5th ball drains into the trough and it should turn on the Game Over light.

Both relays are in the trip relay bank in the bottom of the cabinet as shown on IPDB: https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1683&picno=35043&zoom=1 Note that there are two trip relay banks in this game. The one with TB and XB relays has 10 relays. The other bank has 11 relays.

The TB/Tilt relay is on the left end in the photo. The XB/Game Over relay is 3rd from the left end.

When you push the tilt bob into its ring does the TB/Tilt relay trip? Is that the same thing that happens when you score points or does the XB/Game Over relay trip instead?

#7 3 years ago

Interesting development. I started the game without the bob, scored some points, put the bob back in, and manually moved the bob to tilt the machine. The tilt actually lit up and ended the game, no game over displayed. I then started another game with the tilt bob still in place, it played normally, and did not display game over as soon as a point scored. Not sure how or why that happened, but I'll take it, because I just picked up a Bally Pool Shark project. I truly appreciate your help MarkG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/north-star-schematic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.