(Topic ID: 98016)

North Star / (New problem) need help please.

By Rat_Tomago

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rat_Tomago
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Schematic2.JPG
Schematic1.JPG
NorthStarSlamSwitch2.jpg
NorthStarSlamSwitch.jpg
photo.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Ever since I got this game I have had intermediate problems with the machine cycling "start" over and over adding games to the credit counter until I would slap the bottom of the cabinet as if I was turning it off. When I tap on the bottom the game would reset to zero and start up a game. Finally I decided to take this cabinet slam switch apart and see what was the matter.

The first time I took it apart and put it back together the game would not start at all. The second time I took it apart I could play games until I decided to gently tap on the bottom to turn the game off. I go to turn it back on and nothing. I have taken it apart 4 or 5 times and all the switches in the stack are closed.

I have two questions. Does anyone have a picture of one of these stacks properly adjusted? My next question is....would it be easier to just hack it to bypass it? If so how do I do this? I just want to be able to start the game. I guess I could just open the game up each time and turn it off inside the door slam switch. Ultimately I would like to be able to tap on the bottom to turn them off like I do with all my other games.

Please don't tell me to put them on a power strip.

Any help is appreciated.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#2 9 years ago

That doesn't look like the correct config for the slam power off switch. That metal bar is usually on the bounce switch (the switch with the round silver weight on it).

Here are a couple pictures of the power off switch that was in my North Star, which was unmodified AFAIK.

NorthStarSlamSwitch.jpgNorthStarSlamSwitch.jpg
NorthStarSlamSwitch2.jpgNorthStarSlamSwitch2.jpg

#3 9 years ago

P.S. - it should be normally closed.

P.S.S. - put the game on a surge-protected power strip (along with the rest of them that don't have a dedicated on/off switch, and don't modify them by adding on/off switches!)

#4 9 years ago

Thanks Dirt Flipper this solves this problem. Inadvertently I had the machine plugged in and blew the 5 amp slow blow fuse by the transformer. Luckily I had several fuses on hand. Now back to playing!

#5 9 years ago

It was actually a 5 amp regular I had inserted, didnt have a 5 amp slo blo. That will teach me not to adjust the hold relay without killing the power...

#6 9 years ago

Well I still have the same problem of it cycling over and over again and adding games to the game counter (and deducting any credits, all of them) until I reach my hand and tap the relay bar near the start relay. If I have a score of 1000 or more I have to tap the bar twice for it to reset the score to zero and start a new game. What should I do now? This problem is intermediate and only happens 1 in 5 games and typically when I first start up the machine for the day.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

This problem is intermediate

I think what you mean is "intermittent"; but anyhow, I would double check to make sure the trip banks are locked into place properly. Also, I would check the coin switches and make sure they're not too close and possibly making slight contact. Look at the start relay too and check the switch gaps on it as well.

#8 9 years ago

Dan, look at the schematic and tell me what is in series with the two banks, its at the bottom in the 120v section. I think its the sb armature? something is not being pulled in at start

#9 9 years ago

Here are two pictures of the bottom of the schematic.

Schematic1.JPGSchematic1.JPG Schematic2.JPGSchematic2.JPG
#10 9 years ago

OK, probably the SB armature needs a little adjustment.. Its the hockey stick contact in the relay bank. with the pf up and the game cycling...touch the armature with a pencil or other non conducting item. the banks should fire right after.... probably by you hiting the bottom of cab is just vibrating the bank a little

#11 9 years ago

I will mess with it when I get back after midnight and report back. Thanks Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/north-star-problem-with-slam-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.