(Topic ID: 291072)

North Star Pinball Bar Fundraiser - Ends April 5!

By movingpictures

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210427_193203 (resized).jpg
    20201109_155521 (resized).jpg
    black (resized).jpg
    rogers (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200127_184904 (resized).jpg
    gottlieb_factory (resized).jpg
    gottlieb_sign (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi Pinside,

My pinball bar and route has been mainly closed for over a year and in an attempt to survive, we just launched a T-shirt fundraiser campaign, designed by my friend Johnny Crap, that runs until April 5. I am reaching out to all pinball fans who want to support small business and help keep location pinball alive to consider a purchase or donation.

https://fundraiser.northstarpinball.com/

black (resized).jpgblack (resized).jpg

North Star Machines à Piastres opened in 2015 and openly flouted a bylaw that forbade pinball machines from being operated in places that served alcohol. Pinball was essentially illegal in Montreal, and after 2 years of lobbying we were able to change the laws and build a thriving pinball community. To celebrate, we had a prohibition party where we gave away a pinball machine with special guests Roger and Ellen Sharpe.

North Star is also home to the original Gottlieb factory sign, which now serves as the backdrop of the bar.

We recently expanded our operating business, and just before Covid, launched a project with the Montreal Canadiens NHL team to operate an arcade at their home arena. Here we exposed tens of thousands of people to a stellar lineup of pinball machines, and a short few weeks after, Covid hit and completely destroyed our business.

So here we are over a year later, living in a "Red" zone with a nightly curfew.
    We are on day 80-something of a nightly curfew, where we can't leave our homes after 8pm.
    We have resisted asking the public for help until now, and are really hoping we can reopen this summer. Unfortunately the vaccine rollout has been excruciatingly slow in Canada, so it's not looking good.
    We are hoping this fundraiser will help us stay alive and allow us to continue our goal of sharing pinball with the people.

All prices are in Canadian funds, and if you are outside the US and Canada, please email us for a shipping quote.
    We will gladly ship these shirts far and wide.

Thank you in advance for the support and encouragement!!!

If you are interested in some more history of our project, here's a couple links:

https://www.huckmag.com/art-and-culture/pinball-punk-montreal-north-star/
    https://thewalrus.ca/ding-ding-ding/
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/pinball-north-star-montreal-bylaw-1.4062263

And our recent pivot to renting machines:
    https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2103065&cache=%2F5-things-to-know-for-monday-september-16-2019-1.4594485

North Star BarNorth Star Bar
    Gottlieb FactoryGottlieb Factory
    Pinball on the JumbotronPinball on the Jumbotron
    Prohibition Party with Roger!Prohibition Party with Roger!

#2 3 years ago

Man, I feel sorry to read about this. Montreal is high on my "places to visit" list!

So I would like to bring some extra eyeballs to this fundraiser and hope you will all consider ordering this classy t-shirt. I know I'm ordering one! Thread stickied!

Ya know, there are many other pinball bars and arcades around the world struggling to stay in business and if you are a fan of location pinball (and really, who isn't?) then please also consider supporting your local pinball place. Maybe they are also selling t-shirts or doing something else to make it through this long lockdown.

To be completely transparent: This is all in my own selfish interest! When I return to the States and Canada I want to have cool places to visit and play pinball!

#3 3 years ago

Great looking t-shirt. I've ordered two.

#4 3 years ago

Just waiting for my wife to get home so I can get a couple shirts myself (I always guess her size wrong).

I love North Star! Such a great place and filled with great people. I always buy several rounds of their amazing ginger beer too.

#5 3 years ago

I have ordered a shirt. Good luck! I hope to visit one day.

#6 3 years ago

North Star is indeed a great place to go play pinball and have a nice brew!

And one of the only place downtown where you can play pinball except for some bars that have a machine that is lent by North Star!

They have an amazing team of knowledgeable and resourceful people.

Always a great night out!

Cheers!

#7 3 years ago

Ordered a shirt. Helps that I have a 1964 Gottlieb North Star in my collection! Good luck guys.

#8 3 years ago

You guys rock at North Star pinball. Happy to support you, I got 2!

#9 3 years ago

Been to NorthStar many times... really miss it.
    Love the shirt; placed my order

#10 3 years ago

North Star is great - order placed!
    I'm looking forward to my next pickle 50.

#11 3 years ago

For reference:

20201109_155521 (resized).jpg20201109_155521 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #12 2 years ago

Got mine today. I have too many black shirts, so went with the blue. The beer coaster was a nice added touch!

20210427_193203 (resized).jpg20210427_193203 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/north-star-location-pinball-fundraiser-ends-april-5?hl=beegeemtl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.