Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by phillyfan64
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6613 (resized).jpg
IMG_6286 (resized).jpg
IMG_6282 (resized).jpg
IMG_6284 (resized).jpg
IMG_6281 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
A95C005E-E0EC-4707-803D-3016A5532A3E (resized).jpeg
85C9B619-C3C9-4DFF-A38F-FF731F4DD86E (resized).jpeg
0C43E0B9-0CD7-4CA3-A5F6-00F7C9BDF3D9 (resized).jpeg
92DAD982-D5F1-407E-BE36-509053E9C1D4 (resized).jpeg

#1 79 days ago

I picked up a Gottlieb North Star last night and everything worked fine on-site. After getting it home and setting it up the coin door is shocking me.
Anybody see anything that may have got jolted out of place or touching somewhere that it shouldn’t be?
It is rigged up with a button under the cabinet that puts replays on when you hit the start button.
0C43E0B9-0CD7-4CA3-A5F6-00F7C9BDF3D9 (resized).jpeg85C9B619-C3C9-4DFF-A38F-FF731F4DD86E (resized).jpeg92DAD982-D5F1-407E-BE36-509053E9C1D4 (resized).jpegA95C005E-E0EC-4707-803D-3016A5532A3E (resized).jpeg

#2 79 days ago

Thanks for any help

#3 79 days ago

Check the fish paper insulating the red replay button from the switch mounted behind it on the door, I'd double up on that fish paper.

Is that yellow wiring a coin drop simulator/doorbell mod? Look closely at that modded coin switch on the door, make sure the switch leaves are insulated with fish paper as well.

Unplug the door jones plug and use a meter to check for shorts from any of the jones plug pins to the door metal.

I'd assume the replay button and coin switches are at line voltage - they are in a 1965 Bank-A-Ball.

#4 79 days ago

Of all the hacks out there, people who rig up ridiculous ways to make a game free play are the absolute worst.

#5 79 days ago

After

Quoted from DaMoib:

Check the fish paper insulating the red replay button from the switch mounted behind it on the door, I'd double up on that fish paper.
Is that yellow wiring a coin drop simulator/doorbell mod? Look closely at that modded coin switch on the door, make sure the switch leaves are insulated with fish paper as well.
Unplug the door jones plug and use a meter to check for shorts from any of the jones plug pins to the door metal.
I'd assume the replay button and coin switches are at line voltage - they are in a 1965 Bank-A-Ball.

After searching the internet some more I found other people that had the same problem, original 1960’s two-prong socket plugged in backwards into the grounded wall outlet. Turned it around and everything is fine now. I had no idea. I’m no Nikola Tesla.

Thanks for your help!

#6 79 days ago

You still may want to consider a new line cord with either a polarized 2 prong plug or a 3 prong grounded plug.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#7 79 days ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

You still may want to consider a new line cord with either a polarized 2 prong plug or a 3 prong grounded plug.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

Thanks again!!!!!

#8 78 days ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Of all the hacks out there, people who rig up ridiculous ways to make a game free play are the absolute worst.

Oh, this one’s a real gem. The button on the bottom of the cabinet puts anywhere from 2 to 6 games on the replay wheel when you push it. It’s like playing Wheel of Fortune, only no Vanna White. Pushing the red start button takes off 2 games.

#9 78 days ago
Quoted from The-Who:

After

After searching the internet some more I found other people that had the same problem, original 1960’s two-prong socket plugged in backwards into the grounded wall outlet. Turned it around and everything is fine now. I had no idea. I’m no Nikola Tesla.
Thanks for your help!

I'm currently cleaning and servicing a King of Diamonds that I recently picked up. I took the bottom board out and have gutted and sanded the inside of the cabinet. I'll be putting on a new, grounded cord but I'm really considering putting a ground braid (similar to early Bally SS games) from the transformer (ground) to the flipper buttons and coin door. The cabinet isn't close to mint so I'm not worried about ruining a museum piece just trying to make a 50+ year old game a bit safer.

1 (resized).jpg
#10 78 days ago
Quoted from GSones:

I'm currently cleaning and servicing a King of Diamonds that I recently picked up. I took the bottom board out and have gutted and sanded the inside of the cabinet. I'll be putting on a new, grounded cord but I'm really considering putting a ground braid (similar to early Bally SS games) from the transformer (ground) to the flipper buttons and coin door. The cabinet isn't close to mint so I'm not worried about ruining a museum piece just trying to make a 50+ year old game a bit safer.[quoted image]

Very nice. I’m like you, my 6 Wedgeheads are not museum pieces, but I just want them to play correctly and don’t mind if they show their age a bit.

1 week later
#11 67 days ago
Quoted from GSones:

I'm currently cleaning and servicing a King of Diamonds that I recently picked up. I took the bottom board out and have gutted and sanded the inside of the cabinet. I'll be putting on a new, grounded cord but I'm really considering putting a ground braid (similar to early Bally SS games) from the transformer (ground) to the flipper buttons and coin door. The cabinet isn't close to mint so I'm not worried about ruining a museum piece just trying to make a 50+ year old game a bit safer.[quoted image]

I refurbished my King of Diamonds last year and added a grounded power cord to it. I ran a 1/4" braided ground strap starting from a mounting screw on the transformer, to all the legs, side rails and coin door. Prior to doing this, I could occasionally feel a little shock (especially if I didn't have shoes on, standing on a basement floor). I basically just ran a strap a lot like how solid-state games are done. Here are some pics of a Central Park I'm working on and the ground strap and power cord connections I made.

IMG_6281 (resized).jpgIMG_6282 (resized).jpgIMG_6284 (resized).jpgIMG_6286 (resized).jpgIMG_6613 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#12 27 days ago

Thanks for posting these pictures. I want to install a new 3 prong cord and ground braid on my World Fair. I wasn’t really sure how to run the braid. These pictures help tremendously. Great job.

#13 27 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Thanks for posting these pictures. I want to install a new 3 prong cord and ground braid on my World Fair. I wasn’t really sure how to run the braid. These pictures help tremendously. Great job.

See vid1900 's excellent guide "Replacing Line Cords, Plugs & Wall Sockets"

#14 27 days ago
Quoted from HowardR:

See vid1900 's excellent guide
"Replacing Line Cords, Plugs & Wall Sockets"

Thank you. A lot of great info there.

#15 23 days ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

I refurbished my King of Diamonds last year and added a grounded power cord to it. I ran a 1/4" braided ground strap starting from a mounting screw on the transformer, to all the legs, side rails and coin door. Prior to doing this, I could occasionally feel a little shock (especially if I didn't have shoes on, standing on a basement floor). I basically just ran a strap a lot like how solid-state games are done. Here are some pics of a Central Park I'm working on and the ground strap and power cord connections I made.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Were you able to ground the side rails? There’s no screw to attach to on the inside. My World Fair is the same way. I have no idea how I would attach it to the sides.

#16 23 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Were you able to ground the side rails? There’s no screw to attach to on the inside. My World Fair is the same way. I have no idea how I would attach it to the sides.

My side rails are grounded by way of conduction through the lock down bar. The ground strap is contacting the lock down bar receiver. When the lock down bar is installed, it conducts from the receiver to the side rails. The lock down bar end caps rest on the side rails.

#17 23 days ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

My side rails are grounded by way of conduction through the lock down bar. The ground strap is contacting the lock down bar receiver. When the lock down bar is installed, it conducts from the receiver to the side rails. The lock down bar end caps rest on the side rails.

Oh ok. Thank you. Did you have to do the flipper buttons or manual ball lift?

#18 23 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Oh ok. Thank you. Did you have to do the flipper buttons or manual ball lift?

I didn’t ground the buttons or lift. Probably a small exposure.

#19 23 days ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

I didn’t ground the buttons or lift. Probably a small exposure.

Ok thanks again. I probably won’t bother with those spots either.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside