(Topic ID: 32396)

Nordman signs on to design a game for the P³!!!

By Sjsilver

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

volunteer_cheerleader.jpg
    image4.jpg
    image7.jpg
    image1.jpg
    Tubes.jpg

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Huge News from the multimorphic guys! Congrats to Gerry and his team for signing on a great designer. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the first new upper playfield module.

Also check out the new promo video for the P³ Prototype 2 at the bottom of the post for those who haven't gotten to see it yet.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/p3/index4.html

#2 7 years ago

Holy crap! Where do I sign up?

#3 7 years ago

Wow. Maybe now us the time to jump onto this preorder.

#4 7 years ago

http://www.multimorphic.com

They have a price discount for the special edition ones if you get your deposit in before the deadline, and I really like that they have incentives if they miss the delivery date. That makes me feel much more confident that they will hit their delivery deadline.

#6 7 years ago

Could this be related to the Elvira thread Dennis started a while back?

- Eh. On second thought probably not. No mention of Greg and they're stressing original theme.

#7 7 years ago

Here is the video that I may or may not have had something to do with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hG5QhE3qQq4

#8 7 years ago

Wild lOOk-n Lower P/F ,, the tubes will be Murder to Flame polish ,,

Tubes.jpg

#9 7 years ago

Are those plastic ball tubes expected to carry through to the end design? Not loving the look of those.

Gerbil habitrails aside, it is a breakthrough approach and has a great chance of drawing in a new generation of pinball players given the interactive video game play intergated into the PF.

#10 7 years ago

exciting times for pinheads.

#11 7 years ago

Cool.

#13 7 years ago

This is something to be excited about.

#14 7 years ago

from PBnews article: "....the Multimorphic team plan to have two machines set up to allow multi-player networked games where players compete head-to-head against each other."

BRILLIANT! Let's replace the arcades of linked multi-console games (driving, etc.) with linked multi-machine pins... Love it!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Wild lOOk-n Lower P/F ,, the tubes will be Murder to Flame polish ,,

Quoted from kmoore88:

Are those plastic ball tubes expected to carry through to the end design? Not loving the look of those.
    Gerbil habitrails aside, it is a breakthrough approach and has a great chance of drawing in a new generation of pinball players given the interactive video game play intergated into the PF.

Gerry has said the final design won't use enclosed tubes like the prototype does.

#16 7 years ago

Think about all the great games that have mostly empty lower playfields that are populated mainly by inserts to communicate your progress in those games (AFM, MM, SM, etc). Take games like that, and make that entire lower playfield interactive, and I get super excited!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Gerry has said the final design won't use enclosed tubes like the prototype does.

Good to know....but as I was thinking about it, it might look cool if there was a way to incorporate a tube or two if they could somehow make the tubes glow with embedded lighting.

#18 7 years ago

can't wait for them to replace that cabinet.

#19 7 years ago

For those of you who are looking for innovation in pinball....here's your answer. Gerry and his team are doing amazing things.

I got to spend a fair amount of time on the P^3 at Expo, and I don't think the videos do it justice. The ball-tracking technology makes hitting those floating asteroids really fun. For those that think you're "just playing a video game with a pinball", that's not the case at all.

One mode I played had a random scoop just above the LCD pop up, and you had a limited time to hit it. Another really challenging mode was the "black hole" mode, where the 4 scoops in the center popped up. The object was to hit ramps and targets to build up a jackpot, but NOT hit those scoops. If you hit a scoop, your ball went "down the black hole" (it's in the video) and you lost all your jackpot points. It was really hard not to get zero!

One last note....if you don't like that woodgrain cabinet, don't worry. The plan is to have the cabinet finish be custom order, so you can get a standard pinball artwork, a plain white, or even the stained woodgrain shown here. Gerry said he's got a couple of customers that want their P^3 to look like a piece of furniture so that they don't feel strange keeping it in a main living area...

This thing is going to be fantastic.

Later,
    EV

#20 7 years ago

I'm interested in this actually

#21 7 years ago

Looks interesting but is it $9,995 worth of interesting?

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Well... that's the big question. What possibly makes it worth the price is you're buying an upgradeable machine. So it's more money to get in, but less money to turn it into new machines in the future.

#23 7 years ago

To me it certainly is.

#24 7 years ago

To someone, possibly. To me personally, no. Out of my price comfort zone.

I hope it does well though.

#25 7 years ago

Well think about it this way. Most NIB machines are approaching that price it seems, at least the LE versions that seem to be the full game. But for the money, with the P³, you get a platform that has an incredible value proposition. I don't yet know what the additional games/upper playfield modules will cost, but you could get brand new exciting games regularly for far less than normal NIB purchases. I do know that those upper playfield modules will be easy to change out and maintain.

BUT, this is the other HUGE news of the article. Right out of the gate you get 2 games (and 2 upper playfield modules) with more interactivity than we have ever seen, as well as an open source platform for tons of future expansion. So 2 full games for under $10k NIB? Yeah I think there is plenty of value there.

#26 7 years ago

hope it does well also, just hope this isnt related to the elvira post dennis started. if so am no longer interested

#27 7 years ago

No Pin is IMHO !!

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sjsilver:

Well think about it this way. Most NIB machines are approaching that price it seems, at least the LE versions that seem to be the full game. But for the money, with the P³, you get a platform that has an incredible value proposition. I don't yet know what the additional games/upper playfield modules will cost, but you could get brand new exciting games regularly for far less than normal NIB purchases. I do know that those upper playfield modules will be easy to change out and maintain.
    BUT, this is the other HUGE news of the article. Right out of the gate you get 2 games (and 2 upper playfield modules) with more interactivity than we have ever seen, as well as an open source platform for tons of future expansion. So 2 full games for under $10k NIB? Yeah I think there is plenty of value there.

I understand you get two versions but I would not call it two games. Two games to me would mean you could play two games at the same time. They list it on the site as two playfield modules with different game apps. I think it looks cool and hope they sell a bunch of them but at those prices I will watch with interest. I could end up with one but with all they new stuff coming, I cnnnot buy it all so I am going to spend money on a new gameroom and in two years buy what ever I like most after I play it.

Really great idea they have.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

For those of you who are looking for innovation in pinball....here's your answer.

This is so true.

I hoped that another new company was going to bring great "innovation" to pinball, but was disappointed to see simply more of what we had seen for the last 25 years.

This blows the doors wide open; I'm guardedly excited.

#30 7 years ago

If you consider SWE1 and RFM two separate games, this is the same concept. Some consider that one game also I know. Personally I think of them as two games, but I mean if you have the playfield for both to swap in and out I could see considering it one game with two...somethings.

At 10k for two complete games it is an interesting price point for sure. Just have to play one, do a swap, and see if it felt totally new and different. But if it did feel and play like two totally different games I would be in for one.

#31 7 years ago

I understand you get two versions but I would not call it two games. Two games to me would mean you could play two games at the same time.

Not quite getting this logic. Why does it matter if you can only play one game at a time? I can only play one game at a time on my PS3. That doesn't mean it's limited to only one game.

$10,000 for an upgradeable base system that comes with two games. Stern and JJP are charging between 7 and 8k for a non-upgradeable system with one game. Sure it's expensive. But there's definitely value there.

#32 7 years ago

Fantastic news!

#33 7 years ago

I understand you get two versions but I would not call it two games. Two games to me would mean you could play two games at the same time. They list it on the site as two playfield modules with different game apps. I think it looks cool and hope they sell a bunch of them but at those prices I will watch with interest. I could end up with one but with all they new stuff coming, I cnnnot buy it all so I am going to spend money on a new gameroom and in two years buy what ever I like most after I play it.

Really great idea they have.

Yeah, that I could understand. However, as collectors I think we all approach the problem of running out of space, to the point where most of us hit the "1 in, 1 out" scenario to address space and wife restrictions. Having something like this is pretty great in that regard I think. Having seen this machine up close and working with Gerry and Brandon closely on the video, I am very confident that swapping and maintaining the upper playfields will be very quick and easy.

I think the somewhat high but competitive upfront NIB costs will be greatly outweighed by the upfront value, as well as being able to expand the platform in the future for much cheaper than NIB game costs.

#35 7 years ago

Great to see another group out there pushing the boundaries. Looking forward to playing it at the TSP, but 10K is steep.

#36 7 years ago

I'm not sure it will feel like two completely different games. I think it's going to be more of a re-theme using the existing layout. The rules will probably change though, which could make the games feel very different. I think it's a great idea, and combined with a LCD backglass multiple games could really be housed in the same cabinet.

I think this idea could really take off. Imagine a truly modular game. The LCDs would project different themes and pieces of the upper playfield could be swapped out allowing for different flow. Obviously the shots would be somewhat limted, but there is a lot of potential here. I would assume it might be possible to sell "expansion sets" to this machine for $500 to $1000.

I'd love to be a part of this exciting project.

QUESTION: Am I correct in assuming the ball interacts with the LCD on the playfield? Basically a touch screen.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm not sure it will feel like two completely different games. I think it's going to be more of a re-theme using the existing layout. The rules will probably change though, which could make the games feel very different. I think it's a great idea, and combined with a LCD backglass multiple games could really be housed in the same cabinet.

I think this idea could really take off. Imagine a truly modular game. The LCDs would project different themes and pieces of the upper playfield could be swapped out allowing for different flow. Obviously the shots would be somewhat limted, but there is a lot of potential here. I would assume it might be possible to sell "expansion sets" to this machine for $500 to $1000.

I'd love to be a part of this exciting project.

QUESTION: Am I correct in assuming the ball interacts with the LCD on the playfield? Basically a touch screen.

Well, it will be 2 completely different games, as you get 2 different upper playfield modules and 2 completely different codesets with your purchase. The only thing that will be the same is the lower playfield layout, but they will interact differently with the screen below.

And the ball does interact with the screen. It's not a touch screen, but instead it is an opto grid that does ball tracking, and it does it really really well.

#38 7 years ago

Great interview with Dennis! If you think about it, they have already suspended the flippers and slings over the screen, which gives you lots of opportunity to interact with the screen. For those who haven't played it yet, in the "Rocs" game modes, the asteroids actually trigger the slings and explode when they hit them. The flippers can be lit with different colors on the playfield and change colors with different modes, etc. I can't wait to see what nordman comes up with with his module!

#39 7 years ago

Whoa Nellie, this is exciting. Dennis adds a great level of fun to pinball.

LTG : )

#40 7 years ago

Every demo this company puts out is more impressive than the last. I've honestly not felt much excitement for any new pin like I have after seeing this video (and visions of a whitewater-like pin with Dennis on board especially excites me).

However, no way I could EVER afford a $10k pin, and because they are only making 250 I can only pray that PHOF buys this title to play it. The website DOES say that 250 is the initial run, and there's talk of making another 250 depending on demand.

#41 7 years ago

Great news,we are going to see a lot of innovation coming up!!

#42 7 years ago

P3 is AMAZING!!!! At PPE this year, I got to play WOZ (which I had paid for already) and P3. WOZ wasn't fun at all to me, but I couldn't stop playing P3. It looks cool, and feels really good to shoot! I'm tempted to pre-order because I believe in the concept so much....having Dennis on the team is great - from a physical design aspect. My main concern lies in the code/screen/art aspect. Just like WOZ, Jpop's games...anyone who's going to move to a Color LCD screen concept...the challenge is in creating polished art and animation for that screen. It just adds an entirely new layer to the production of a game that I think everyone has underestimated.

Can't wait to see how this progresses though!

#43 7 years ago

Looks pretty neat, but I guess this means that there will be no third Elvira pin.

#44 7 years ago

Does nothing for me.

#45 7 years ago

Looks pretty cool and it has my attention. Lots of potential but want to judge final experience before considering a purchase. Would have loved to have seen it released with one pf for lower price - like $5k and with additional game kits coming in at around $2k. Will be following its progress closely.

#46 7 years ago

What a great time for pinball in the next few years...

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sjsilver:

Well, it will be 2 completely different games, as you get 2 different upper playfield modules and 2 completely different codesets with your purchase. The only thing that will be the same is the lower playfield layout, but they will interact differently with the screen below.
    And the ball does interact with the screen. It's not a touch screen, but instead it is an opto grid that does ball tracking, and it does it really really well.

We'll then obviously the possibilities for future "expansions" would be pretty favorable. I think this is a great start. This is obviously a machine with a market plan that bypasses vendors. I don't think you'll see many, if any, of these machines on a route.

The ability to raise and lower scoops and drop targets just beyond the screen is pure genius. Not only does it serve as a great transition, between the screen and modular upper playfield, it really provides possibilities. I mean just think about it. You want to emulate the saucer shot from Attack From Mars, raise the center three targets. Hit them three times the targets lower and the scoops behind them raise up. That's just one example, but again, it's just pure genius.

I think the only "trap" they could fall into with this design is overusing the gimmick of the screen. I hope that they use it sparingly. I don't need to see moving object all the time. I'd much rather have a normal looking playfield complete with emulated inserts and lights. Then wow me during special modes, if they use it all the time I think the gimmick will get old.

Overall lot's of possibilities! Very exciting.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Looks pretty neat, but I guess this means that there will be no third Elvira pin.

Exactly what I was thinking........or at least a significant delay until this project is complete. I certainly hope that's not the case.

#49 7 years ago

Whatever game I design for Multimorphic, it will have nothing to do with Elvira. I started the Elvira poll to try and gauge if there would be any interest in a new Elvira themed pin, and I think there was. But that project would have to done by a major manufacturer because of licensing issues. A boutique company is just too small for the licensing requirements. It would be cost prohibitive.

I am working with Gerry and his team to create an original theme, and I'm really excited about that! There's gonna' be some fun happenin'!

Dennis

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from DennisNordman:

Whatever game I design for Multimorphic, it will have nothing to do with Elvira. I started the Elvira poll to try and gauge if there would be any interest in a new Elvira themed pin, and I think there was. But that project would have to done by a major manufacturer because of licensing issues. A boutique company is just too small for the licensing requirements. It would be cost prohibitive.
    I am working with Gerry and his team to create an original theme, and I'm really excited about that! There's gonna' be some fun happenin'!
    Dennis

Cool to see a legendary designer post here! Quite simply, I'm dying for a good original theme in pinball. No better example of that than WhiteWater.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 244.99
    $ 65.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside