6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,796 posts
  • 290 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by jbovenzi
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 794 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

96333DC4-AF07-4490-BC38-DD9079CF9C26 (resized).jpeg
    7BD9AEFD-8278-4D67-901E-DCFE3F3F3C31 (resized).jpeg
    255E1714-75EE-49E2-A572-1B349C1177A7 (resized).jpeg
    66670F08-4C61-464A-8FC2-E29BF3C50BDB (resized).jpeg
    B5D9806B-A7DA-43DE-A7F3-142A26079232 (resized).jpeg
    883234EB-93E7-4A84-B646-1CA175FFC2E9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200123_173215_614 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6073 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6072 (resized).JPG
    AAA1BD25-EB2B-4DE8-AB9B-432093BDD280 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0361 (resized).JPG
    b1d707ccafee11a76f1cfd5758720a109d884f00 (resized).jpg
    20191230_160851 (resized).jpg
    4F23CB87-47D7-4563-AF82-E33D85B792A9 (resized).jpeg
    commando (resized).jpg
    ace machine gun (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

Nice thread!

Just spreading the usual propaganda: East Bay Pinball League meets tomorrow night (Thursday). League officially starts at 7:30PM at Phoenix Games in Concord CA. I believe we are in week 7 of an 11 week season...and unfortunately I don't remember what our cut off for finals is (I believe it may be 5 weeks). Even if it is too late to get in on this season's finals, come out and just play some competitive (but friendly) pinball.

The current line up is: Championship Pub, Creature From the Black Lagoon, AC/DC, The Addams Family, Tales From the Crypt, Twilight Zone, Dr. Who, WWF Royal Rumble, Lights Camera Action, Hook...and a few others I don't remember.

http://www.eastbaypinball.org

Also, for people more North East-ish, check out Capitol Corridor Pinball League every other Tuesday around 7:30PM (next session is June 11th). We just completed this season's first session, so you can definitely squeeze in for this season's finals.

http://capitolcorridor.pinballleague.com/index.html

EDIT: I forgot SFPD and BAPA...but I am not really up to date on what they are doing. Every corner of the Bay Area officially has a league or group. This isn't even counting tournaments and other events being held in all the major areas...no one really has an excuse to be an anti-social hermit and just hide out in their home game room.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

I keep saying this, but all I can do is say it because I do not have a single free moment to organize this. But I would be interested in this and possibly with the correct people open up my home once in awhile for "free play".
    I realize now my garage will never be 100% done but it's good enough to play. Willie you should come up after my MOPLE is delivered.

CCPL is currently 100% hosted at people's houses. I know BAPA rotates around from public spots to private residences. So it is completely doable. I'm not claiming it is easy at all, but where there is a will and some potential hosts...

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

Going with pinwillie to meat worldofglenn today

You're going to MEAT him?!?!

WorldOfGlenn...do not bend over for ANY reason what so ever.

2 weeks later
    #152 6 years ago

If true: just...you know...wow

#217 6 years ago

time out!

1 month later
    #271 6 years ago

+1 another person vouching for Chris being a good and knowledgeable guy. I'm pretty sure most of the East Bay would vouch for him as well.

3 weeks later
    #356 6 years ago

Speaking of tournaments coming up...

ebcr2013-titlesmall.jpg

EBP presents East Bay City Rumble II -- The Revenge

2-Man Team Tournament. League vs. league (but everyone is welcome). 9/28/2013. Noon. Phoenix Games in Concord CA.

A whole mess of info can be found...

here: http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble
    here: http://pinside.com/pinball/events/east-bay-city-rumble-ii-the-revenge-2013
    and here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/east-bay-city-rumble-ii-the-revenge-sfba-2-man-team-tournament#post-1062811

EDIT: Date changed to the 28th

#368 6 years ago

Just a quick update, we're moving East Bay City Rumble up one weekend to September 28th. It ends up that a lot of players are heading to Portland on the weekend of the 21st. We can't have the Bay Area's end-all-be-all grudge tournament of the year with every league missing half their people!

Now those players have no excuse to puss out and hide in Portland until the rumble passes.

I typically don't list the games available for a tournament, since the line up changes on a monthly basis, but since we have people bringing games JUST for this tournament and some cool games popping up, I thought I'd share the list as it is right now. Games on the Phoenix Games Side are available to play NOW. So go throw some quarters in them and practice. The Secondary Location side games won't be available until the tournament and will only be available day of the tournament for tournament play (so register a team! ;P). This list is subject to change.

Phoenix Games Side: TFTC, Hook, Frankenstein, WWFRR, Surf n' Safari, Cactus Canyon, AC/DC Premium, T2, Champion Pub, TAF, TZ, Diner

Secondary Location: LOTR, WOZLE, Hollywood Heat, Jurassic Park...more coming soon

#381 6 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Not to start up the whole "snap rag flipper" argument again (even though I pretty much am). Anyone else happen to notice around midday a TSPP get posted on CL for 3700$ Coincidence that the ad is gone and now there is a TSPP in a different city on CL for 2250$? I hope that the first one went to someone that really wanted it and isn't simply being flipped hours later. At least play it for a month, clean it up, SOMETHING before you turn around and offer it for 550$ more. Rant over.

Are you sure it went from 3700 to 2250? I don't think that's how flipping works.

Let me tell you man, save yourself the anxiety. Learn who the notorious flippers are and avoid them as much as possible. I spent years being pissed off at Windex flippers snagging machines that could have gone to a good home, but then I realized they just aren't going to go away. Ever. Even if one somehow got ran outta town, someone would replace them. The deals are out there and you can beat them if you just friend up other collectors. I guarantee you that if you want a game that had a decent run and put the word of mouth out that you're looking for one, people will keep an eye out and help you find what you're looking for without Craigslist ever being involved.

1 week later
    #387 6 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

We gotta start gettin some leagues together NoCal and then BATTLE!
    Steel sharpens Steel!

*AHEM*

http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble/

1 week later
    #411 6 years ago

So I shouldn't pick Wizard against you anymore?

#415 6 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

My highest score was around 140, and I think you did over 200, right?

Oh...something like that...

There's a reason I play the crap out of it every time we're at J's and it isn't for the ego boost of burning out the 100K lamp. It's probably my favorite EM...unless I discover something better. It looks like yours came out pretty sweet.

#428 6 years ago

ONE WEEK LEFT before the BIGGEST Bay Area Team Tournament EVER...find a team member and sign up! 20+ games and climbing!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/east-bay-city-rumble-ii-the-revenge-sfba-2-man-team-tournament

Quoted from Xscrapiron:

I am also trying to move my FT If anyone is interested.Why..I have no idea why,I picked the wrong hobby for ocd's ..Im sure Goldwings went down in flames to a rag snapper alright.My bet is San Jose not Santa Rosa.Or "insert flipper here"

If it's the same Gold Wings I saw a picture of yesterday sitting in the back of a friend's truck, it went to good hands. The non-flippers can be just as quick at sweeping these things up...

#463 6 years ago

Congrats on the tournament Johnny!

Not to harp on about it, but, ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT! East Bay City Rumble! East Bay City Rumble! EAST BAY CITY RUMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!

www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble

30 bucks a team. I stop taking email/PM registrations tomorrow night at 9PM. On site registration opens around 9:30AM Saturday morning and closes at 11:30AM. Tournament starts at noon. I will likely spam about it again...

You can also sign up by hitting East Bay Pinball League tonight and asking for Stephen. League starts at 7:30PM at Phoenix Games in Concord.

#467 6 years ago

What Skill_Shot said. The list will likely evolve/change up until the morning of. For instance, I have a TAF (different TAF from what has been in Phoenix Games for the last year) and an X-Men Pro supposedly sitting in the wings that I can't confirm yet. Someone is talking about bringing 2-4 other machines for the event (not sure which). Then in Phoenix Games itself we're discussing doing a rotation of the titles in there, pulling some out to put in something new. I'm not sure if that is happening before or after the event. I can only confirm that Royal Rumble is staying, since it's my machine.

Just be prepared for anything and everything...and have your pinball tutorials and rule sheets ready on your phone just-in-case...

http://pinball.org/rules/

#470 6 years ago

Transporter is definitely in the list. When it was brought up as a game someone could bring, it was a definite "yes, BRING IT".

#499 6 years ago

If this is the same Hyperpin that you brought to Pin-A-GoGo, I'll second that this is a quality machine. Boogies also knows what he is doing with these things. This is like his umpteenth build.

In other news, East Bay City Rumble II went well! The results are in the EBCRII thread. Just gonna link to it instead of spamming the results here.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/east-bay-city-rumble-ii-the-revenge-sfba-2-man-team-tournament

I brought my WWFRR home from Phoenix Games. It's slot at Phoenix Games now houses either Simpsons Pinball Party, X-Men or Medieval Madness. I know, I know...you guys would rather have WWFRR back...

#523 6 years ago

Just tossing this out there, but maybe we can just have a community night where we all meet at PPM? Those of us that aren't scared of leaving our house, that is.

#553 6 years ago

@mrgone
    It was really sosages idea but I could coordinate or help set it up. I'm in Mexico on a crappy kindle right now.so it sucks to type, but can jump on this when I'm home. Lets do a quick poll though. Which do people prefer:
    1. On a Friday night
    2. Saturday open till whenever
    3. Saturday eve until closing
    4. Sunday open until whenever.

I just tossed the idea out. By all means, take charge and run with it.

#562 6 years ago

I sent out PMs to Sosage and TDA but have not heard back, wondering if its a problem with PM'S and the move to the new server and updates. Let me know.

I've just been busy and glancing at Pinside here n' there. I didn't think you needed a response right away. ;P

If I have enough time before the event I can put together the graphics for a name card real quick. An event poster I'd love to do, but I have 3-4 other pinball-related posters in the pipeline that I haven't even started yet. So that's not gonna be likely.

#585 6 years ago

Look...I'll bite. Where are you people seeing 4-5k Funhouses (that actually sell for that)? Am I just not detecting the obvious sarcasm or are you guys trying to be serious?

#597 6 years ago

Yeah man. This is what I imagined. We just all agree to show up and play. No need to rent the place out. Another brainstorm, if this works out then maybe we rotate the location? Make it a sort of "Pinside Tour" thing. Maybe a month after ppm meet we go to Free Gold Watch. Then next month Phoenix Games. Etc, etc, etc.

Not to complicate things though. Just, "let's meet at ppm at X date and time" works.

I can likely make the 9th. I'm sure there are a bunch of EBP lurking this thread who are Pinside that will be down as well.

1 week later
    #635 6 years ago

The Pinball Pirate POP event was cool (it was held there once before...I don't want to say last year, but has it really been 12 months since the last one?!?). It's held in the warehouse of veteran op/tech Chris Kuntz, who...for those who don't know him...knows a LOT about both coin-op tech and pinball history.

I couldn't make it there in time to compete in the main event, but swung by to play in the side tournament on Pin-Bot. How was that? Well...it's fucking Pin-Bot. I'm completely bi-polar on that game: I can either control it or it controls me. In this case, it controlled me.

Mark also generously brought out his Star Trek Pro for everyone to beat up on. I'm digging the game, but I have to give it 12 months to make sure I am not in the "new game puppy love" phase.

ANYWAYS! If you wanna chill out with a bunch of the more active members of the Bay Area community, definitely hit the next one. It's a pretty laid back event in a cool little warehouse for a good cause.

#675 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Yes, I think it's at a home in Folsom. I wanted to sign up but Folsom is 45 minutes away from me and with my work schedule it would be tough to make it every time.

AFAIK he is open to other locations. His whole thing about splitting the CCPL was to get more Sacramento area people into the league.

Not to come off like a prick, but there is kind of a "...you gotta help yourselves" thing with getting leagues/local scenes/tournaments going. I hear people mentioning, "I wish I was closer to X league" or "I wish there was a league near me" or "someone should start one (but don't look at me)" a LOT. I always give the same advice: Start one. Reach out on Pinside/RGP and figure out if anyone living near you would like to start one. Find a spot. Figure out a format and run it. It's gonna start small, but unless your area is truly dead (and in Northern California, that would be an oddity), it will grow.

EBP started with, literally, the league organizer, myself, my wife and two other people. We didn't even use a spreadsheet. We just scribbled the results down on paper. Our first two seasons were maybe 6-8 people deep. Within a year we were getting 20-30 people a week. SFPD is likely the same story and they ballooned to 70, which is just unheard of out of all the Bay Area leagues. CCPL was literally 8 EBP members and 2-3 Fairfield/Vacaville cats the first few seasons. Now it's, like, 5 EBP guys and 20+ full blooded CCPL. HELL! Belles and Chimes has a really healthy group of players and they are excluding half of the human race!

If you build it, they will come.

2 months later
    #981 6 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Actually JonnyO is hosting an international pinball tourney on Jan 11th at PPM. I'll be there as well as some Danish pinballers and a lot of us other pin folk. Stop by. Tourney entry is free w/museum entry and should be fun!

Should be a fun time. It's essentially a tournament and a party for our EBP/BAPA international representative who happens to be in town, rolled into one.

#1038 6 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Can you actually buy anything for less than that? I thought my place was about as small as place as you can reasonably live in and it was over that. I guess SF is a bit more skewed... But I do have room for a pin in my third-floor walkup - doh!

I'm not a real estate expert, but I was born and raised in the Bay Area. One of the facts of life I think most kids becoming adults (well...of my generation and younger) out here learn is that SF is off limits unless you have a lotta cash (or don't mind your $$$ not going very far). You are living in the crown jewel city of one of the highest real estate markets in the country. Everyone wants their own piece of that place.

#1042 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcadenerd925:

New to pins, just saying hi (got a TSPP for xmas), Live in the east "yay" area, I briefly browsed through this thread and saw a mention of setting up some sort of norcal site. if so lmk as I have access to a large amount of server space. however, I was thinking, it would be handy for this site to have geographically based subforums as an alternative as well (so your not having to hop around diff forums)
    Im waiting for my pinballlife order to come (pinballs, rubber, cleaner, wax, etc) so I can do my first maint on the TSPP (as well as some LED samples from cointaker to replace some blown lamps and see which ones I like best) wish me luck.

What part of the East Bay are you? East or West of the tunnels?

If you're close enough, come out to the East Bay Pinball League when you feel up to meeting people in the local community! We meet every Thursday night at Phoenix Games in Concord, CA. League play starts at 7:30PM. We're near the end of our season (last week, then finals tournament next week), so if you join in now you may not get to play in the finals. BUT, you can always chill and play until the next season starts up (January 23rd).

We're a mix of chill and competitive folks.

#1087 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

We got 70 players and things ran fairly smoothly. Andrei massenkoff took first. I tied for 7 th.
    I made 3lbs of swedish meatballs and they were gone in 20 minutes. So we got some pizzas.

Great tournament Johnny. My only piece of criticism is: ditch the achievements format that side tournament was on.

#1113 6 years ago
    Quoted from Brookelynn23:

Hello NorCal peeps! I'm in West Sonoma County and am obsessed with playing. I'm hoping to learn about leagues, meet local players and keep working on my skills. My first post, FTW!

Welcome! Capitol Corridor Pinball League *might* be the closest league. It meets in Vacaville and Fairfield every other Tuesday:

http://powertothepinball.com/

The other leagues in the Bay Area in case you're interested:

East Bay Pinball League (Concord): http://www.eastbaypinball.org
    San Francisco Pinball Department (San Francisco): http://sfpins.org
    Bay Area Pinball Association (San Jose): http://www.bapa.org
    Belles N' Chimes (Oakland all female): http://bellesandchimespinball.com

We have a TON of places to play out here, but I don't know of any hot spot in Sonoma County specifically. You guys need to get your asses in gear!

#1134 6 years ago

Are you kidding me!?!? What an ass hat! Why the hell did they mention it was bought with an inheritance?!? The nerve to say how much they paid and how much profit they want to make, what a douche. Thats why I will never get to own a EATPM, people always across the board want way to much for them.

It's more odd than anything. Why mention the inheritance? Is that supposed to add 1500 worth of sympathy on top of the 3500? Stuff like this just tosses up "avoid" red flags in my head (aside from the price).

#1135 6 years ago

Double post

#1146 6 years ago

I paid 5 for mine, which is in very rough shape with no backglass (but otherwise fully works). Some could argue I spent too much, but it is what it is. I imagine once the repro PF comes out, I purchase the repro backglass, create stencils and repaint the cab: I'd be another 1.5K into it for a really nice machine. I don't mind that, though, because it is one of my all time favorites. Others may not dig that "investment" though.

As for this one, depends on how it *looks*. If the only thing you need to purchase is a MPU, I mean, that's still a 900 High Speed that's complete and working (with original backglass). Haggling down to 5 may even be in the cards. I dunno, I think it's worth at least going and kicking the tires. That is, if it is still there.

#1195 6 years ago

I will NOT move it, lady. Oh. "sausage" not "sosage".

While I think exclusivity is not a healthy long term solution to the issues being tackled, it is a concept that is useful to our local community right *now*. Echa and Belles n' Chimes act as a safe buffer for pinball enthusiasts who do not want to deal with the crap of being an extreme minority. Anything that helps ease people who would otherwise be too intimidated to leave their home and be a part of the local scene, for one reason or another, is a positive. Anything that threatens that environment and scares people off, such as oglers and PUA's, isn't cool.

I feel Jonny's intent was to jab someone else's event, something he does a lot (mine included). I want to believe he did not realize a line had been crossed.

Echa, I hope your event pulls in a lot more future enthusiasts. I also hope some day the community can handle a Bells n' Chimes open event, so we can all compete together on your home turf.

...and as always, I hope to see a Bells n' Chimes team at Royale or East Bay City Rumble. Speaking of...

1 week later
    #1269 6 years ago

Female integration in pinball is too complicated of a topic for Internet knee jerking to solve.

The real controversy here is that PracticalSteve is hinting at selling F-14. You're never going to find another game like it.

#1280 6 years ago
    Quoted from caligirl:

Yeah, lets just brush it under the rug...that's the proper way to handle it...
    Obviously there are people who want to discuss it, particularly because or recent events involving members of the 'Nor Cal Pinhead' community, which is what this thread is for.
    Just as you may not care to engage in the dialogue on the matter, there are others who could care less about an F-14...

Yeah, let's just publicly make assumptions about people. Particularly someone who "engaged" the conversation a page earlier. Maybe "knee jerk" was more accurate than I thought?

edit: took out that last part. Was being a jabbing prick.

#1302 6 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

Just a note on the WPPRs. You can't get WPPRs for team tournaments (otherwise a strong player can pull up a poor player). Doesn't mean they are not fun! It's the same reason the East Bay City Rumble tournaments don't give out WPPRs either.
    Fun fact: My first pinball tournament was the 2012 East Bay City Rumble.

Glad you had fun! We have the other EBP team tournament coming up, Royale 2014, in March. Hopefully you can form a three man team and make it out (yes, 3!).

I'm not sure I can find a partner for Gene's event (wife loves pinball, but with a kid running around it is more of a "one at a time" activity ;P), but it sounds like a fun idea!

#1309 6 years ago
    Quoted from micro:

Thanks again for helping load that truck!! Ummm..... lift gate this year?????

For fooking real. I highly recommend avoiding using a long, Indiana Jones rickety ramp like we did for PAGG last year. David(EBP) and I almost killed each other on multiple occasions and I personally almost dumped WWFRR over the side when it became a runaway game halfway down the ramp...which would have been tragic, because David and I just got done spending 3 months restoring the thing and PAGG was the first place it was getting played.

Lift gate is the way to go. I don't care if it is slower.

1 week later
    #1358 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Offered here before going on CL - I'm selling a Hollywood Heat to make some room.

Don't know about this game specifically, but Hollywood Heat is a total sleeper. A gem in the rough. Everyone underestimates this game and skips it without trying it out. Don't let the backglass fool you...

#1382 6 years ago

pbr-logo2012.png

Royale 2014 sign ups are now OPEN! 15 team cap and 6 spots have been claimed already. So pre-register ASAP!

http://www.eastbaypinball.org/royale

Pinside Events Page:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/events/royale-2014-2014

Pinside Thread:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/royale-2014-sfbay-area-toughest-3-man-team-tournament-in-the-world

I don't want to spam the entire description in a THIRD place on Pinside, so I'll keep it short: March 15th, Noon. Phoenix Games in Concord. 3-Man team match play, 3-strikes format. $40 per team. Top 3 teams are in the money. Register at pbr@drunkentemple.com. I'll need:

Team Name:
    Team Captain:
    Team Member 2:
    Team Member 3:
    League/Group Affiliation (if any):
    Contact info:

2 weeks later
    #1509 5 years ago

Quick, but major, Royale 2014 update:

We have secured the second location next door. This means that there is NO registration cap! If you're going to procrastinate registering your team until the morning of, I just ask that you make sure to show up and register before 11:45AM. I start drawing the first matches by 11:55.

Even better than being able to accommodate more teams is that we also have a large, killer line up of games to compete on! Here's the game list so far...

Phoenix Games Location:

Circus Voltaire
    Medieval Madness
    Tales from the Crypt
    Star Trek LE
    AC/DC Premium
    X-Men Pro
    Star Wars (Sega)
    Earth Shaker
    Scared Stiff
    Champion Pub
    The Addam's Family
    Twilight Zone

Secondary Location:

Wizard of Oz
    Transformers LE
    Creature from the Black Lagoon
    White Water
    Terminator 2
    The Simpsons (Stern)
    Stargate
    Frankenstein

The list may potentially grow the closer we get to Saturday. I know of about 3 games that are currently on the "maybe" list.

Big thanks to ChrisL from Phoenix Games for helping lock down the second location.

All tournament information can be found here (just ignore the parts about there being a 15 team cap):
    http://www.eastbaypinball.org/royale

#1520 5 years ago

Only a couple days away! Don't miss out on the PINBALL WORLD'S TOUGHEST TEAM TOURNAMENT (YES! I am making that claim)! Get your 3-man team together and make sure to register before 11:45AM the morning of.

While at the event, you can also pick up this event poster for 3 bucks. It'll be worth 10 bucks come Christmas, so get in on it now! I'm printing up 50, which makes it some sort of LE as well. That's 5X more limited than Predator! 20X more rare than a WOZLE or Medieval Madness Remake! This thing can only improve your pinball stock portfolio, so don't miss the boat!

royale2014.png

#1526 5 years ago

Thanks to everyone that came out! Obviously, thanks to Chris Lopez of Phoenix Games for hosting us. TJ Beyer, Jim Vierra, Chris Heilig, David Rockholt, and the Machado Bros. for bringing equipment/tech/judging/helping. They busted their balls this week to set up the second location.

I'll have results up soon, hopefully with a "kill chart" showing who gave which team their final strike of the tournament. Maybe next year I'll have side prizes for knocking another team out...

The next EBP team tournament is East Bay City Rumble (http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble), a 2-Man team format held in late summer. Hopefully you all can make it out for that and Royale 2015. For now, I have to worry about Pin-A-GoGo stuff.

Also, thanks for taking those photos Gene. They are great!

1 week later
    #1544 5 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

I hope Matt didn't hurt his right arm from all the live-catching 23 mill. on black knight requires :p

Pretty sure the right flipper button is just powder at this point.

#1547 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Two bay area players, Damien Charlety and Andrei Massenkoff, finished top 4 at Pinburgh, the biggest tournament in the world. They made it past 600 players to finish 2nd and 4th respectively!
    Damien has only been competing since 2011. In fact, I ran the first tourney he competed in, (pagg 2011), making it all the more amazing. He's gone on to start two pinball leagues in the Capitol Corridor and Sac proper.
    Andrei Massenkoff has been a local champion and PAPA World Champion in 2011. He played a tough semi, coming back from a medium start. He had to win his last game to force a tie-breaker against Jorion Englebrekston, one of the top Swedish players and also a former World Champion. He won the tie-break for the right to play in the Final.
    Hats off to both these guys. They played tough pinball and did amazing!

Don't sleep on NorCal...ever. > Congratulations to Damien and Andrei! I didn't get to catch any of the stream, but I heard through the grapevine that Meteor was all that stood between Damien and first place (!!!). ARGH!

2 weeks later
    #1596 5 years ago

blarg! Finally doing it?

Bump for a good guy and F-14.

1 month later
    #1695 5 years ago

You (and we) are lucky, the Bay Area is one of the more active pinball communities in the U.S. We are up to about 6 leagues now, all covering most of the major regions. All of them have a wide range of players, from highly ranked world tournament players to casuals.

As others have mentioned, BAPA is likely the league for you. Not only do they represent the South Bay, but they are also the oldest active league in the Bay. That doesn't mean you can't travel around and try out some of the other leagues, which include:

SFPD -- San Francisco region
    EBP -- East Bay/925 region
    CCPLW -- Fairfield/Vacaville region
    CCPLE -- Sacramento region
    Belles N' Chimes -- Oakland (female only)

There are also a TON of locations to play. Pizza Depot (San Jose), Phoenix Games (Concord), Lucky JuJu AKA Pacific Pinball Museum (Alameda), Free Gold Watch (SF), Playland Not-At-The-Beach (El Cerrito)...just off the top of my head.

We're really spoiled up here.

#1706 5 years ago

Speaking of Metallica, Phoenix Games has either a Premium or LE in the front now (I can't keep up with which is which...it has the hammer toy ). So if you're on the other side of the tunnels and have been wanting to try this game out, come on down.

#1723 5 years ago

We need a CAX thread.

2 weeks later
    #1769 5 years ago

No offense if this is anyone here, but that is a bit sketchy IMO. If they are east bay, they have EBP to check out and utilize to network with other collectors if they are serious (or if the point is to just meet up, well...leagues are perfect for that!). If they are more south (San Ramon), there is BAPA. If they are on the other side of the tunnels and don't like coming further east, (Emeryville-ish) SFPD. There are also all the tournaments and events going down as well. I'm just saying, there are a lot of opportunities for someone to meet pinheads IRL that is much better than Craigslist. Hell, CAX is in 2-3 weeks.

As a side note, it's not so much having your pins stolen, as just being robbed...period. Burglaries, home invasions, and armed robbery are pretty popular crimes in my city. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case in most Bay Area cities. So, I mean, you guys may be trusting souls and don't mind letting just anyone walking through your front door. *I*, on the other hand, really have to know you before I am comfortable letting you in my space. The typical Craigslist buyer winds up inspecting stuff in my driveway or, at the most, my open garage (and I'm not into going into a complete stranger's house to buy something without someone at least waiting in the car). I totally understand if that comes off as overly paranoid, but previous experience has taught me that looking paranoid trumps not being safe.

1 week later
    #1795 5 years ago

EBP's next season starts the week after CAX (17th). This season's finals are this week, so unfortunately it is a bad week to start. We take CAX week off because a lot of us are preparing/loading games for the show.

1 month later
    #1867 5 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

There are five bay area leagues:

We have another new league out in CCPL country. I believe it's called Solano Pinball League (I feel like I am mixing up Solano with something else). Meets through out Fairfield/Vacaville every other Wednesday. Really far for Oakland, but I thought I'd still mention it.

Nice to see you out at EBP Gene!

BTW...speaking of teams: East Bay City Rumble III...it's coming. Announcements/dates/times will be coming in the following week or so. Stay tuned. Start courting up team members...unless you're chicken! >

#1874 5 years ago

East Bay City Rumble III

I still have to update the website, create graphics/posters/whatever, but I've locked in the date and I'm officially announcing it today.

Website (old info, I'll update later): http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble

When? September 27th. Noon.

Where? Phoenix Games (working on possibly running in 2nd location)

How much? $30 per team

What?!? -- East Bay City Rumble is one of two annual team tournament events that East Bay Pinball organizes. It's our open challenge to any and all leagues/groups that reside in NorCal. If your league is truly bad-to-the-ass, then we'll see a team representing here.

The format is 2-man teams vs. 2-man teams. Match play. 3 strikes format*.

How the hell does that work?!?! -- 2 teams are matched against each other for a best 2 out of 3 match. The first game is randomly selected. Teams rock/paper/scissor for choice of second or third game (whoever doesn't choose second game, chooses third game).

On the game itself, a 4-player game is coined up. The team going first represents players 1 and 3 on the DMD. The team going second represents player 2 and 4. At the end of the game, BOTH scores for 1 and 3, and BOTH scores for 2 and 4 are added. The team with the higher COMBINED score wins the game.

Every MATCH loss earns your team a strike. 3 strikes and you're out.

Finals -- Finals matches are best 3 out of 5 games (as long as the strikes bracket ends cleanly...knock on wood).

True Finals -- Yes, there is a secondary final to this tournament. The members of the winning team must play another 3 out of 5 set against EACH OTHER for Grand Champion status.

Prizes -- Top 3 teams are in the money. Grand Champion winner also takes home a special side pot and trophy.

How do I register? -- email ebcr AT drunkentemple DOT com (AT=@ DOT=.). Provide this info:

Team name:
    Team Captain's name:
    Second team member name:
    League/Group you're representing:
    Contact info:

You don't have to be in a league to participate and everyone is encouraged to play, but if you're in a league, represent it. This tournament started off as a league vs. league-centric event.

Contact info is just a way for me to email/contact you in case something drastic has changed.

Okay...my wall of text is complete.

*=For the last 2 years I've run this tournament as a double elimination bracket, but as everyone's skills improve, this tournament drags on later and later. Last year we ended stupid late, so I'm swapping to a quicker tournament structure.

1 week later
    #1894 5 years ago

Hope everyone towards Napa is alright.

Shook us pretty good in Concord. Definitely woke me up. One of those quakes where you think about getting under the door jam...then you think it's going to be over by the time you get there...and it doesn't stop so you're still laying in bed out in the open like an idiot.

1 week later
    #1908 5 years ago

Hey Sosage, looks like the Royal Rumble webpage is still for last years event, this still going down?

It's still going down. I just have a lot on my plate. Will update it by the end of the week with all the relevant info.

FYI: Saturday Sept 27th, Noon. 2-man teams. $30 per team. 3-strikes format. Phoenix Games in Concord, CA.

1 week later
    #1927 5 years ago

Just reminding everyone that East Bay City Rumble III is going down September 27th!

The updated information can be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/east-bay-city-rumble-iii-2014

1 week later
    #1932 5 years ago

Just a friendly reminder: East Bay City Rumble III is going down this weekend. We have the second location, which means more games!

Also note, the info on the website is a year old. It's this Saturday at noon. Phoenix Games in Concord. 3-Strikes (NOT double elimination like last year). We're up to 10 teams from EBP/BAPA/SFPD. There's plenty of room for more!

You can sign up the morning of or PM me here. $30 per team. Doors open 9AM-ish.

#1936 5 years ago

I updated the website: http://www.drunkentemple.com/rumble

We're up to 14 teams for tomorrow. There's no cap. Come on out! On site registration closes at 11:30AM tomorrow morning. Tournament starts at noon.

1 month later
    #2132 5 years ago

gilow.png

Hey guys. Just letting the rest of the pinball world know that EBP has another charity event coming up, ran by Aaron Nelson (I'm just the messenger this time ;P).

Where?: Phoenix Games in Concord

When?: December 7th at 11AM

How Much?: $40. $30 goes to charity, $10 goes to the player pot.

Why?: To benefit the Flippin' With the Greats pinball charity event, which is a partnership between IFPA and Coach Ditka's Grid Iron Greats organization.

Player cap: 32

More info: http://tinyurl.com/psvrfm6

WPPRS?: YES!

Format?: Grid Iron format. A little too involved to explain properly here, but imagine each player represents a team in the NFL. Players are then split into their own divisions and conferences and play out a normal football season. Except, obviously, instead of playing football we are playing pinball. Check the link above for a better description on how it works.

Prizes?: We're working on providing a little something for all participants. We'll also have a pot split for finalists. Winner of this tournament will be invited for the Flippin' With the Greats grand final in Las Vegas. For more information on that, check the Flippin' With the Greats page: http://www.ifpapinball.com/gridiron

The poster above will also be on sale at the event for $5. 100% of poster sales will be added to the charity pot. I provided the art work. PracticalSteve handled the printing (toss some props/good karma towards him).

1 week later
    #2209 5 years ago

Bump! This event is coming up. Don't procrastinate too long.

Quoted from sosage:

Hey guys. Just letting the rest of the pinball world know that EBP has another charity event coming up, ran by Aaron Nelson (I'm just the messenger this time ;P).
    Where?: Phoenix Games in Concord
    When?: December 7th at 11AM
    How Much?: $40. $30 goes to charity, $10 goes to the player pot.
    Why?: To benefit the Flippin' With the Greats pinball charity event, which is a partnership between IFPA and Coach Ditka's Grid Iron Greats organization.
    Player cap: 32
    More info: http://tinyurl.com/psvrfm6
    WPPRS?: YES!
    Format?: Grid Iron format. A little too involved to explain properly here, but imagine each player represents a team in the NFL. Players are then split into their own divisions and conferences and play out a normal football season. Except, obviously, instead of playing football we are playing pinball. Check the link above for a better description on how it works.
    Prizes?: We're working on providing a little something for all participants. We'll also have a pot split for finalists. Winner of this tournament will be invited for the Flippin' With the Greats grand final in Las Vegas. For more information on that, check the Flippin' With the Greats page: http://www.ifpapinball.com/gridiron
    The poster above will also be on sale at the event for $5. 100% of poster sales will be added to the charity pot. I provided the art work. PracticalSteve handled the printing (toss some props/good karma towards him).

gilow.png 207 KB

#2234 5 years ago

Agreed, $1750 is more than I am willing to pay for that title, I figured since it was sitting so long that maybe by the time I get my cash together he would come down more.
    He says its diamond plated, which if that's the case and the PF looks good I would be willing to pay more than the base price I have in my head.

+1. I love Rollergames, but I would start getting nitpicky about condition when we're talking over 1,200. This doesn't seem to be a very difficult system 11 to locate, either. The diamond plate does add value, though. *shrug* Just sharing how I would approach it. For all I know my pricing is outdated. I'm use to most player condition system 11's going for under 1K.

2 weeks later
    #2340 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcadenerd925:

If you cant find it, pick up a mame or jamma cab and emulate it. You run a high risk of it dying eventually (happened to my mk2 i picked up off CL years ago, gutted it and through a PC in it). PM me if you need help/links.

I'm both a vid and a pin guy, and I have to speak up on this: You run a much higher risk of a pinball machine dying and becoming worthless before a JAMMA game. In fact, pinball machines are a billion times harder to work on than an average JAMMA cabinet.

Double Dragon itself isn't a difficult board to locate and the cabinet is not that hard to find if you're patient and you genuinely look around (don't just Craigslist it). When I hear of one going on sale, it's almost always a difficult game to get rid of and the seller rarely gets what they put into it.

If you don't give two shits about accuracy or originality in video games (which describes most pinball people I talk to), by all means, go the MAME route.

Find a nice generic Dynamo cabinet with a good monitor, a Street Fighter II control panel lay out, and a clean JAMMA harness wired up -- and you'll have an excellent foundation machine for the majority of late 80's into the late 90's joystick/button based horizontal games. If you want to MAME it, look up J-Pac and ArcadeVGA: http://www.ultimarc.com/

Good luck!

#2343 5 years ago

Hey Sosage
    What are other good ways locally to look around for arcade cabinets?

Best case: Like pins, get to know collectors in the area.

Otherwise, even poking around KLOV can be better than CL'ing it. There are a bunch of people in the area that lurk there. I've also given away a handful of free cabinets there (and I'm not the only one).

What if you wanted a mame type set up but were more interested in emulating earlier games and wanted a trac ball?

You can emulate most horizontal, non-vector games with the set up I mentioned.

Where MAME'ing a cabinet gets tricky is when you want to play something that used something other than a joystick and buttons. Setting a track ball up to work in MAME isn't the big obstacle, it's physically putting the thing onto the control panel.

You can go one of two ways. Create a gigantic swiss army knife control panel with all the control types you want. OR, keep a couple of different styles of control panels around to swap onto the machine (one for SF2, one for trackball games, one with an Arkanoid spinner, etc.). Both have pro's and cons.

The swiss army control panel is what a lot of people go with, but it can get tacky quick and if you're not careful, you could lay out a control panel that is just okay for every game type, instead of being great for a few.

The multiple control panel approach is a space hog.

Honestly, we're talking about a platform that had a lot of different control types and multiple monitor type/orientations. As much as people try, no one cabinet configuration is going to do every single arcade game well.

I suggest approaching it like this: think about what genre of games you really want to play, then design the project around that. I mention the SF2 control panel lay out because there are so many games that are one to two players, that use a joystick and multiple buttons, that will plug right into that set up (for example, Double Dragon ).

If you REALLY want to play something with crazy controls, like a Defender/Stargate, maybe consider finding a separate Defender or Stargate cabinet and swapping boards (IIRC there is a Williams multiboard out there with Defender/Stargate)?

#2353 5 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

I have been looking for a Double Dragon cab working or not for months. Ive placed ads on Cl, klov and here reached out to all kinds of collectors and came up with nada. Maybe you just know the right collectors bro! Send them my way

I have a rough project DD in my garage, but unfortunately, I want to keep it.

I knew of three very nice ones being sold in the last two years. Yet no one seemed to want them. They were getting to the point where they couldn't be given away, which is a shame. They were nice.

I'll ask a friend who was selling one last year if he still has it.

#2359 5 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

I have been looking for a Double Dragon cab working or not for months. Ive placed ads on Cl, klov and here reached out to all kinds of collectors and came up with nada. Maybe you just know the right collectors bro! Send them my way

As I feared...the one collector who was selling a couple of them about a year ago doesn't have any left.

If I hear of one, I'll try to remember this thread and mention it. Otherwise, stay patient and put the feelers out. When we come close to CAX (like a month or two before?), try tossing a post up on KLOV mentioning you're looking for a DD and you're heading to the show. It's that time of year where everyone goes out to their garage/storage to get vids ready for the show and start noting how much stuff we've hoarded that we don't need. You may get a hit.

Like I said, this game is not rare and I've seen really nice restorations of it sit on the market for a bit.

Pro tip: Dedicated Double Dragon came in a Taito cabinet like the one below (cool little JAMMA cabs with a drawer on the bottom for the PCB). There were a couple of games that also used this cabinet. There's also a variant that has a more red design to the side art (I've never seen a DD in that one). Worse comes to worst, find a game running in the cabinet in the picture and piece together the PCB/artwork/control panel. It's more work, but if you really want a Double Dragon...

DDTaitoCab.jpg

Good luck!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 218.00
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 289.00
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 57.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside