Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,345 posts
  • 407 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by WillM
  • Topic is favorited by 275 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg
    games (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240225_215100_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20240223_215856 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    10 (resized).jpg
    9 (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).jpg
    20240215_220821 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#925 10 years ago

WOZ at Thalassa? It must have just come in. Thanks for the info.

#939 10 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

WOZ at Thalassa? It must have just come in. Thanks for the info.

I just spent 2 hours at Thalassa. First 30 minutes on WOZ and the rest on ME.

WOZ is truly beautiful. There were two minor problems though. First, the coin door slots were not registering very well, so I spent the first 5 min getting the quarters in. Second, the lighting was not sufficient, at least for my taste. What I really liked though what the ball time was quite decent, even with no prior experience. I did not really know what I was doing so I switched to MET.

MET I really liked as well. Everything was working properly except for the captive ball, and I had a great time. Very classic feel to it.

High scores on both machine from NES. No surprises here.

1 week later
    #1016 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

wow, thats surprising it took that long and I think you came down on your original price as well. I think you are right that the new stuff is definitely taking a share of the $4,000+ pin market.
    Curious, you say that it did not go to a collector, who did it go to? Did they already have other pins? What age bracket were they in?

There are tons of new fun machines and JJP has done a great job raising the bar.

The latest Boston pinball price report states that the strong upward trend continues unabated, but I do not agree. I think that prices on older games have started to go down and that they will continue to go down, particularly on machines that are not in top condition. MM was a wake up call for folks who looked at it as an investment. I also think that the price of newer machines in the secondary market will also go down. I don't see how the secondary market can absorb that many used games.

#1027 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yes it was, and I am GLAD it happened. Game prices have gotten totally out of control (especially in the Bay Area) and good deals are slowly starting to show again. Looking forward to when true player games are not going for restored prices.
    (also hoping those folks hoarding MM will start to sell them for their worth as the MMr gets closer to being released)

Another trend that I am happy to see is the increased market transparency (thanks to sites such as pinside) across the table condition / quality / restoration dimension. I recall seeing somewhere that vid1900 got a lot of heat when he started giving away the secret sauce. Besides being obviously a great resource and a generous gift to the hobby, it showed what it really takes skill-wise, time-wise and tool-wise to properly restore a machine and to showcase the craftsmanship of top restorers. Those who try this at home or are looking into buying a restored machine are properly informed. It seems that it's been good for the top pro's themselves because I think I saw a few other howto's. In this place and age, thinking you can keep a lid on this type of information is silly anyway.

#1030 10 years ago

Did anyone pick any of Rick's machines in Hayward? Has he closed shop yet?

#1033 10 years ago

I saw his ads on CL maybe 2-3 weeks ago. One for the store front, one for the machines - same overpriced machines. He said was retiring. I am curious to see if he is going to come to term with the mark-to-market or move his machines with him so they can collect dust for another 10+ years in his garage.

#1086 10 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

Thanks to a nice fellow NorCal Pinsider, I managed to get my birthday present in the gameroom a little early.

Congratulations. This is a hell of a machine that completely took me by surprise (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-first-impressions).

#1100 10 years ago

The one that had been there for a while, along with the "HUO" Monopoly and at some point RBION?

#1103 10 years ago

I am several weeks behind the curve. Sorry for the confusion.

1 month later
    #1413 10 years ago
    Quoted from scasey:

I have a TAFG, but it is a boat load of money being only 1 of 200 made.

Since we are talking about 'this' TAFG... My humble opinion is that your CL ad is (and has been) completely out-of-sync. You had the machine listed as a great Xmas gift way into 2014. Now it's listed as of February 19 and it has turned into a great Valentine's gift, which was on February 14.

There were indeed 1000 made (as clearly indicated by the number 848 on the plate) and not 200.

Lastly, what you show on the ad does not qualify as a "real nice AF". I realize you priced in some of the work you are going to put into cleaning up the machine, but if I was going to put this much money into a machine, I'd like to see exactly what I am buying - unless of course, I am writing a check to High End Pins. In other words, you might be better off restoring the machine first.

#1416 10 years ago
    Quoted from scasey:

Ludovic,
    Thanks for the heads up on the wording in the ad. It had been on auto-post for a while. I have changed it. As for quantity produced, there were indeed 1000 produced in total with 800 of them produced for and shipped overseas. Only 200 units were produced for the US market and they were serial numbers 801-1000. I appreciate your input on selling tactics, but with the high dollar items, I have had better luck having the customer specify the level of restoration/reconditioning. For example, it doesn't make sense to perform a tear down shop job if the customer wants a new playfield installed. If there comes a time when the TAFG is the only machine that I have to work on, perhaps then it will get reconditioned.
    Thanks,
    Sean

I apologize if my remark came across as a selling tactics advice. It was simply a general comment about accurate product description and consumer protection.

1 month later
    #1593 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I bought my second pin from Sean back when I was in 'month 2' of the hobby, and I was happy with the transaction. In short, I think people who offer a shopped pin with a warranty are good for getting people into the hobby who don't have time to work on pins (I didn't at the time.) It was an appropriate decision for me, because I kept seeing WW's come and go on CL and I was never first to respond. I wanted to enjoy a solid WW in very good player's condition, and that's what I got. I knew I was paying a little more, but I was also getting a little more than just grabbing a machine off CL in unknown condition. (As a bonus -- when a minor glitch arose months later, he even offered me some support after the warranty period, and that was appreciated.) I was given the impression his focus was on creating another satisfied customer. I actually know another customer who had a similarly generous experience in working with Sean.
    Now, as for leaving "sold" items in the marketplace... I agree it would be nice if those didn't linger there (from anyone), since they clutter up our searches.
    -mof

Same here. I bought two pins from Sean right when I first got into the hobby. I was generally happy with the transactions. The way I look at it, Sean's providing liquidity, at a cost, to a specific type of buyer, and price discovery to the rest of the community.
    I do have some reservation about the wording in some of his ads, like this one, sfbay.craigslist.org link which does not qualify as "real nice". Some of the pins he sells are also advertised as fully shopped when they clearly are not. But then again, it's a free country.

7 months later
    #2156 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Cool, I sent him a message. If anybody else knows someone let me know.
    I had asked a auto paint guy to looks at a pinbot PF I'm about ready to swap. This guy came highly recommended (for his auto work). He said he'd be willing to try and asked me to bring it by. When he looked at the CPR clear he said he wouldn't be able to do any better than that.
    For pinbot it's not a big deal. The cpr clear will wear like iron in home use and look great doing it. I didn't "finish" clear my Space Shuttle either.
    But this is The Bride and it will be a 2.0 (assuming it ever happens) and I think I want a little higher quality.

Gary did my playfield and I am very happy with the results (see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/options-to-clear-a-playfield-in-the-bay-area). The only part that is a pain is the cleanup of the white wet sanding residual.

1 year later
    #3677 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

Looking for a nice RFM in Bay Area or Sac area--

Have you looked at this one - sfbay.craigslist.org link ?

2 weeks later
    #3698 8 years ago

Where do you go for circuit board repairs in the Bay Area? I have a dead transistor on my SM (Q15, left flipper). My previous attempt (and last) at replacing a transistor on a Monopoly turned into a nightmare that could prominently feature in the worst hacks threads. I am not trying this again.

#3702 8 years ago

Steve / Sean,

Thanks so much for the info and the offer. I am still debatting what the best avenue is. In 5 or so years, this is the second time I have an issue with a transistor so it's not like it's super common, but it would be nice to do it in-house without extended down time. It might be worth investing in a better soldering iron and practicing on some old boards.

#3704 8 years ago
    Quoted from dhalem:

I'm in San Jose and also free today and could do the swap. I'm no master but I've done this exact fix on my LOTR.
    A better iron is definitely worth it. Then take apart some old toaster or anything with a board and practice.

Thanks a lot for the offer. Still waiting for the part, and I might have a go at it.

2 months later
    #3905 7 years ago

Does anyone in the SF / East Bay has an industrial ultrasonic cleaner big enough the hold a playfield wire harness?

3 weeks later
    #3970 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The beautiful Spiderman recently on Craigslist has found a new home at Phoenix Games! Nicest Spiderman I've ever seen or played. What a score!
    And speaking of Phoenix Games, the East Bay Pinball League has room for more players. No wait list. No fee to join. Just come on down! We meet every Thursday at 730pm at Phoenix Games in Concord.

Nice one. If this is one of John Tennler's games, he usually has really nice machines. In general on the expensive side, but for once it looks like the price was right.

1 month later
    #4038 7 years ago

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I was just reminded that there is a 90% chance of the Big One hitting the Bay Area in the next 30 years. Are you guys doing anything particular in terms of protecting games? Anyone had direct experience with pinball machines in the 89 earthquake?

#4040 7 years ago

You got some blankets to protect the CFTBL and the POTC when it hits and a mattress on the floor in case they flip over. Good thinking.

#4047 7 years ago
    Quoted from frogman70:

Lol, I lived an hour away from the "big one" in 89 and barley felt it. Ca rarely has any damage from an earthquake. I've lived all over CA for over 40 years and I have never seen any damage in person. Just my 2 cents

You are in a better location than me for sure. I am 5 minutes away from the Hayward fault and it won't be pretty if there is a major earthquake on it.

#4060 7 years ago
    Quoted from frogman70:

So have you had any earthquake damage?

No I move to the Bay Area in 94 long before I got into the hobby.

3 months later
    #4166 7 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Bump still looking for help with a lower TAF cab.

You may need to broaden your search. Have you posted in the Market section of the forum?

Chris Hutchins once sold cabinets for cheap (i.e. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-cabinet-sale-giveaway-at-hep) and he might be willing to ship. They may not be in top condition but it might still be better than what you have. He's actually documenting a TAF resto at the moment at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-taf-restoration and you can see what the old cabinet looks like.

2 weeks later
    #4195 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryphun:

Mann, if you get tired of the Getaway I can take it off your hands
    I am in Colony Park (Concord) and have three pins
    Stern Meteor - fully restored, you can search pinside for pictures
    Data East Checkpoint - currently restoring, broken down to bare wood
    Williams Coquette - 60s EM that my daughter plays

Is this the Meteor thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-project-stern-meteor-restomod-most-likely
    I'd love to see what you've done with it.

#4197 7 years ago

Pinball is strong in Concord

Indeed. Gryphun looks like he's up to some serious restoration work which I'd love to see.

#4201 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryphun:

But, a picture is worth a thousand words...
    A couple of pictures of my progress

Awesome work. Stenciled cabinet restoration isn't for the faint of heart!

#4219 7 years ago

I have an Harbor Freight hydraulic cart that had been going down very slowly. This morning I decided to monkey with it and see if I could fix it. Unsuccessful. So much so that it now works worse than before. If someone's good with hydraulics and thinks he/she can fix he/she can have it. Otherwise I'll put it on the street tomorrow and it'll find its way to the scrap metal yard in no time. It's yellow and in good condition with the bent handle mod. PM me for detail.

#4221 7 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I have an Harbor Freight hydraulic cart that had been going down very slowly. This morning I decided to monkey with it and see if I could fix it. Unsuccessful. So much so that it now works worse than before. If someone's good with hydraulics and thinks he/she can fix he/she can have it. Otherwise I'll put it on the street tomorrow and it'll find its way to the scrap metal yard in no time. It's yellow and in good condition with the bent handle mod. PM me for detail.

Lift table is spoken for.

#4223 7 years ago
    Quoted from jsa:

I'm about to engage in a similar repair on mine. Any tips before I jump in? Plan was to pump it fully up, drop it half way, refill the hydraulic fluid.

If you are having issues with the table not going up then you might have too much air in the system and your approach should fix it.

In my case, the problem was with the table not going down so I tried to reseat the release valve which I thought was the problem (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table?tq=valve&tu#post-471352). It did not help. I actually made the mistake of filling the fluid with the table all the way up and I made a mess.

If you are going to take the thing apart, make sure you have some snap ring pliers. Also, the spring that is around the piston attached to the pump pedal needs to be 30% compressed for the pedal assembly to make it back around the shaft. I was doing the whole thing on my own so it wasn't easy to compress the spring and position the assembly. Locking pliers saved my life. Compress the spring around the shaft and lock it in place with the pliers.

#4225 7 years ago
    Quoted from jsa:

My table slowly sinks. I don't think I have the patience to take it all apart. If I can just add some fluid and solve the problem, fine. If not, I'm afraid I'd destroy it by trying what you did!

Too bad. I was looking forward to having someone to commiserate with

1 week later
    #4255 7 years ago

POTC available. Many mods and essentially looks like new. Not many like this one. I'd consider trade +/- cash for a DMD "A" game in exceptional condition. PM if interested.

1 month later
    #4309 7 years ago

I have 2 pairs of LOTR custom Gollum speaker inserts as shown in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-refresh#post-3232697. One pair has no leds the other one has non working leds. They can be easily installed with double sided tape and painted as well. Available for free. Also available is the mold. PM me if interested.

IMG_3819 (resized).JPGIMG_3819 (resized).JPG

#4319 7 years ago

I saw the FG in this listing this weekend. Except for the shooter lane that's dirty and will probably stay dirty, I think it would clean up nicely.

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#4323 7 years ago

Good tip. You passed on both then?

I wasn't looking at either one - I actually already have a FG. The seller wanted to do a TSPP + cash trade on the BTDK I have for sale. His TSPP is a bit dirty (i.e. some wax trails) but would also clean up very nicely. The only problem is a small touched up nick on the left side of the cab. Otherwise a very nice HUO game. Best see for yourself if you are interested. The seller is very nice and I enjoyed the visit. I passed on the trade not because of the game but because of space and time (i.e. no time to shop the game) constrains.

3 weeks later
    #4356 7 years ago
    Quoted from tjbeyer:

Was this the FG in Martinez? If so, I picked it up, shopped it out, and it's now at Legionnaire Saloon in Oakland for others to enjoy! Cleaned up nice.

Yes it was. Nice one!

#4371 7 years ago

FYI, I just saw this Roadshow:

Except for some wear at the fish hole and a couple of broken plastics, playfield is in good shape and would clean up nicely. The cabinet has the usual fading in the yellow / orange . Right side has a few scratches but is quite decent. There is a problem with one or more switches somewhere that's leading to the whole switch matrix being out of whack and the game not being playable but this should be an easy fix. Some wiggle room on the price.

1 month later
    #4458 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZZZ_spy_hunter:

I'm looking for help, suggestions or recommendations for getting a pinball machine up a flight of stairs. I live in SF. Is there a person/service that I can call to help make this happen? Or is there a place that I can rent stair climbing dolly? Or other thoughts?
    Thanks

Go get 3 day workers at the local Home Depot. Fold the head.

1 month later
    #4515 6 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

Wanted: side mirrors for Stern and Williams.
    I also need a Williams FT coin door.
    Thanks

PM on its way.

2 weeks later
    #4534 6 years ago

There is an upcoming "Art and Science of Pinball" exhibit at the Chabot Space and Science Center - http://www.chabotspace.org/pinball.

#4537 6 years ago
    Quoted from aingide:

Does anyone know of a bay area resource for playfield clearcoating? I've got a PF that I'd like to have sanded down to wood, decal applied, then cleared.
    Any help is much appreciated.

What's the game and what level of craftsmanship are you looking for?

2 months later
    #4627 6 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Someone got a good deal. By the time I called, she already had a buyer. Alas.

Worry not if you missed this one. Here's another good deal.

Elvira_for_sale (resized).PNGElvira_for_sale (resized).PNG

3 months later
    #4796 6 years ago

I can sell my rotisserie for $60 if someone's interested.

1 year later
    #5287 5 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Anyone have a decent used WPC widebody lockdown bar kicking around that they'd like to be rid of? Doesn't need to be pristine but no rivets or bolts through it.

Though not within driving distance - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/44#post-4801555

1 year later
    #6536 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I saw a guy I know put his TOTAN up for sale in the Market and it went quickly for 9k. It got me thinking. I have had mine for 20 years, but perhaps it is time to let mine go? People love TOTAN, and this one is pristine with ColorDMD-LED too.
    Any comments or emotional support welcome... LOL

I saw Mark's TOTAN in person and confirm it is in beautiful condition.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread?tu=lb1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.