6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,536 posts
  • 281 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by trk12fire
  • Topic is favorited by 184 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 757 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1563162465731 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1563162454348 (resized).jpg
    20190709_213416 (resized).jpg
    20190709_213440 (resized).jpg
    20190709_213451 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190710_144912402 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190710_144915300 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190710_144918241 (resized).jpg
    29749C53-F9B9-4510-A7FD-F34B157FAECF (resized).jpeg
    20190629_131731 (resized).jpg
    file (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190628_1844270 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190617_1008047 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190614_1701321 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190615_1616022 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#273 5 years ago

Hey all. There's a new women's league forming in Oakland based out of the new Hi-Life Pizza place downtown. Kick off is middle of September. It will be run by Echa Schneider, who recently took novice and top woman at the Metallica Launch.

I posted some info on my web site. Please let your female friends know.

http://pinballbayarea.com/2013/07/28/womens-pinball-league-forming-in-oakland/

In addition, I plan to do a few events open to both men and women. Hi-Life has seven games from a top local operator, including a very nice AFM and BDK.

1 month later
    #390 5 years ago

Tournament on Tuesday, 9/24, 7PM at Hi-Life Pizza. $5 entry.

More info here:

http://pinballbayarea.com/2013/09/06/tournament-hi-life-924/

See ya there!

hi-lifeposter.jpg

2 weeks later
    #440 5 years ago

Bump for Tourney at Hi-Life Pizza tomorrow in Oakland!

I'll have two t-shirts to raffle off, plus some coupons for free beer or a slice. And some other odds and ends.

http://pinballbayarea.com/pinball-tournament/

#453 5 years ago

We got 29 players, a couple from as far as Sacramento and Monterey (on a Tuesday! Nuts!).

Good seeing everyone and hope you had a great time. Next up is the STAR TREK launch on 10/16 and then another tourney on 10/29.

Congrats to new Bay Area transplant Joey Springer for taking the win. Joey is IFPA ranked 62nd and will have some good competition looking forward against other top local guys like Andrei Massenkoff, Tim Hansen and Neil Shatz.

http://pinballbayarea.com/2013/09/25/hi-life-924-results/

#482 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

(bay area)
    Do we know where the first Star Trek will land? I think Metallica landed in Oakland...
    -mof

Unless another Op gets it first, ST will be coming to Hi-Life Pizza in Oakland. I'm running a launch on 10/16 there. I'll have details up on my blog, maybe Sunday after I recover from the Rumble.

Last time we got 57 people for the launch and it was a good time. Hope to see ya there!

#483 5 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Just wanted to let everyone know theres a Metallica pro at buffalo billards in Petaluma. It plays great. The Op has this pin tuned perfectly.

I saw the new loc email you sent and Eric W added it to pinballmachine.org.

#505 5 years ago

Below is the list of tournaments I’ll be running through the end of the year. There’s a chance I might cram one more in after Dec. 10. All five of these events are worth 1/3 regular WPPR value and entry is $5 plus coin drop.

Please no outside food at Hi-Life Pizza. Food is okay at Legionnaire. See you soon for some STAR TREK!

Oct 16: Star Trek Launch Party – “One Shot” Format
    Oct 29: Hi-Life – Pin Golf
    Nov 12: Legionnaires – Time Attack
    Nov 26: Hi-Life – TBD
    Dec 10: Legionnaires – Time Attack

Prior to attending please check my site for updates/changes/cancellations: pinballbayarea.com

#512 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sea-Monkey:

Sorry if this is a repeat, but saw on Facebook that Stern is having a launch of the new Star Trek pin at Hi-Life Pizza in Oakland on Oct 16th at 7pm.

Yes, we're running a Launch Party at Hi-Life! In addition to ST, there are eight games there to play: Attack from Mars, Fish Tales, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Dracula, Williams IJ, Radical and Dark Knight.

Launch parties are "mostly" social events (unless you make the finals, then it starts to get a bit more serious). It's a great excuse to come out and meet other local pinheads, have a beer, some pizza and chat pinball. We got 57 players at the Metallica launch and 48 at ACDC. A good number of players are pretty technical so the more techy players are not out of place at all. In fact Chris Kochan, a superb tech, won the ACDC launch!

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Do you know if there is going to be more than one Star Trek? Could be a long night!

For ACDC and Metallica, TJ was able to get two. I know he'll try his best.

#517 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sea-Monkey:

I'm a complete newbie, but am hoping to make it. I'll try not to annoy the techies.

They kind of like it.

#522 5 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Next time your planning to head over there let me know maybe I will head over there. Are they going to get a Star Trek out front soon?

Magic 8 ball says "uncertain". They bought the second Met from the last launch party so we'll have to see.

Quoted from Rcade:

I was pretty much all by myself at the PPM tonight for two hours. Kinda cool to have "run" of the place, kinda lonely also. :/ I was surprised, I thought it would be more busy on a Friday after 5pm.
    What really sucked is in my way out, I played a game of ACDC prem up front and got house balled all 3 balls, lol!

Yeah, PPM has their busy nights and their slow ones. Particularly in the summer people want to be out doing stuff.

#526 5 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

Just tossing this out there, but maybe we can just have a community night where we all meet at PPM? Those of us that aren't scared of leaving our house, that is.

I think PPM would be amenable to a community night idea. In fact, they might arrange a discount.

Someone would have to take the lead of course.

I focus my efforts mainly around competition because that's what I enjoy, however, I can certainly see the non-competitive and/or collector crowd might be interested in fix-it seminars. Like EM night, SS Night, DMD Night, mod show-and-tell, etc.

In fact, the skit-b guys talked with me about coming out for the Predator launch and I asked them if they'd be willing to do a "how we made it" mini-seminar. I then asked the players if it would interest them and the overall response was positive.

#550 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

^^^ this is for a pinside ppm get together. Stupid kindle = no quoting posts.

Ok, sounds like so far Sunday is the popular vote. For a bunch of guys that spend thousands on machines you all are sure concerned about a couple bucks for parking

I'm in. You might want to limit the "official" part to two or three hours, or else things may thin out before others even show up.

#572 5 years ago

Hey all, just got the word from the Op that STAR TREK is now at Hi-Life pizza in Oakland at the corner of 14th and Franklin downtown.

I had league tonight so I'm going to check it out at lunch tomorrow, and then maybe again after work around 5. Come down and get some games, and play the other seven games there as well. For those going to the launch, note that the angle will be adjusted slightly for the launch party. Also, depending on ball times we might adjust posts.

I drove my friend to league tonight and I knew if he was aware of ST he would have skipped league. So I didn't tell him until we were halfway to Sunnyvale. hahaha priceless reaction when I told him.

#606 5 years ago

A guy named Steven was talking to me about starting a north bay league around Petaluma. He has a pin routed and is talking with the location about more if they can work out a league arrangement.

1 week later
    #629 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mycal:

G' morning...Did anyone make it to the Pinball Pirate Fundraiser Tournament in Benicia yesterday?
    http://pinballoutreach.org/2013/09/pinball-pirate-fundraiser-tournament/

I went.

#636 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mycal:

Cool, glad to hear it. How'd you do? Hope to make it down to Oakland to one of your events soon. Thanks for your blog too. I heard over $500 donated to POP. Also heard that Tom Collins from Napa took 2nd overall. Some new local guy from St Louis took first and is highly ranked nationally. I'm very new to competition but enjoy league nights.

The worst in a double-elim is to go two and out, and I managed not to do that. But that "highly ranked nationally" guy you mentioned, yeah, he was my first match. His name is Joey Springer.

And last year, same tourney, Neil Shatz was my first match.

I was 7th or 8th in the side tourney on Pinbot.

Mark Birching bought the 2nd launch party Star Trek and he had it there on free play. Lots of people brought food and Jim V bought pizza. There was this cool chick from Norway who happened to be visiting the bay area and played in the tournament. I think she did pretty good, can't remember. Anyway, it was cool talking with her about pinball over there. They have a pinball club that's housed on a decommissioned military base building that they rent. Members pay dues and they use the money to add more games. That's some serious dedication!

#672 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

hey pinheads, I stopped by arcadia today. they are not open yet but the owners were there setting up. they have no pins,just vids and a pool table. I talked with the owner Anthony. he said he might get some pins but they expensive and break down a lot. I let him know about us here and about spg. please guys, use the link in my previous post and email him. let him know that we will support him and spend lots of money if he will get 5 or 6 pins so we can have a league night here in sacramento. thanks for the support fellow pinsiders.

Didn't Damien set up a league in Sac proper?

Would SPG or league members be willing to route their games there?

#677 5 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

I haven't heard of "Arcadia ", has anyone been to "High Scores"in
    Alameda yet?

I went there a few weeks after it opened. They were still sort of getting set up. I had a good time.

They mostly focus on early 80s stuff. I like enough golden age titles I could keep myself busy. I think they've added a couple multicades with newer stuff, but of course it's emulation, so if you're a purist...

#678 5 years ago

Come down and have some pizza and beer with us, and play the new Star Trek pinball!

When: Tuesday 10/29 7 PM start time. For this tournament, you can show up as late as 7:30 and still play.

Entry: $5 to enter the tournament, and then quarters for your games.

Where: Hi-Life Pizza in downtown Oakland, 400 15th Street. It’s at the corner of 15th and Franklin Streets. The sign says “Rico’s Diner”. DO NOT BE FOOLED. Games are upstairs.

For BART, take 12th street exit and it’s a five minute walk.

Parking: Meters run until 6. Street parking is usually not bad in this area.

Who can play: This is open to all players, ages and skill levels. For example, Ralph Macchio.

What Games: Current line-up is Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Dracula, Indiana Jones, Radical, Batman, Attack from Mars and Star Trek (brand new!)

Format: 10/29 Pin Golf. This will be a straight 7-hole pingolf with no finals and place determined by final scores. A tie-breaker will be held as necessary at the end.

Wpprs: This tournament will award world pinball player ranking points (wppr) at 1/4 value.

Payouts: 1st: 40%, 2nd: 30%, 3rd: 20%, 4th: 10%. If more than 16 players enter, then 5th – 8th also get $5

Obvious: Please don’t bring in outside food or drinks. Thanks.

startrek.jpg
    1 month later
    #780 5 years ago

Hey folks! Just letting you know I'm running a tournament at Hi-Life Pizza in Oakland on 12/29.

http://pinballbayarea.com/pinball-tournament/

Full WPPRs for this one, 10 buck entry, all entry money paid back to players. So bring your A game. Or bring your B/C game and just meet some fellow pinheads. We keep it fun. Overly jerky attitudes are never welcome or tolerated at my events. Play hard, but keep it on the level.

There will also be some nice raffle prizes, and first-timers to my tournaments are always instant winners.

Win or lose, if you've never played in a pinball tournament before, you will be a world ranked pinball player!

Hope to see you there!

Oh, and if you want to hit a tourney before then, I'm running one next Tuesday at Legionnaire Saloon in Oakland. Format is Time Attack and entry is just $5.

#782 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ilthuain:

Sweet. Sarah and I will be there.
    Are you coming to the B&C event this weekend?

I'll be at the nutcracker duel at Jim's for sure!

#795 5 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

I was at the pacific pinball museum over the week and they announced a new membership price for a full year of admission. It costs $100.00 for unlimited access for one full year. I don't know how long the offer will last. Still no WOZ at the museum, but so many other rare machines. Great place to unwind. Hope this information helps anyone who plans on stopping in for the holidays.

Yes was talking with Mike at ppm last night. Great deal for regulars. I forgot to ask if theyre still doing the card. It was $20 and grts you and a guest in for $10 for a year.

#796 5 years ago

Steve I think Getaway is the standout. Rollergames is also fun. HS is a classic but a fairly simple game overall.

#804 5 years ago

Bk2k is basically a one-shot game. Great music. Honestly would not pay more than 1k for one.

1 week later
    #864 5 years ago

The staff there are great. Technically you're supposed to be an ebpl member to go in back on non-league nights but as Steve learned, they'll bend the rules.

2 weeks later
    #946 5 years ago

Thanks to everyone who came out to the Hi Life Tournament.

A big ‘thank you’ to Tom Collins, Eric Wagonsonner, Damien Charlety, Josh Warren, and several others for their help with running the tournament.

Tim Hansen played some solid pinball to win the event, first defeating Josh Lehan (who previously squashed me like a small insect on Batman with around 140M to my 70M) and sending him to the Loser’s bracket. Josh went on to rally and defeat TJ Beyer for a second shot at Tim. Fatigue was clearly setting in for both players. On the first game of Attack from Mars, neither player cracked 2B, and there were noticeable fatigue-induced flipper fumbles. Tim was able to hold off Josh on Fish Tales and take the win. Congrats Tim!

MAIN Tournament

GRAND CHAMPION Tim Hansen $80

2 Josh Lehan $60
    3 TJ Beyer $40
    4 Chris Lindboe $20
    5 John Lautmann $10
    5 Jon Olkowski $10
    7 James Squires $10
    7 Tony Lavigna $10
    9 Chris Harkins
    9 Eric Wagensonner
    9 Daniel Daury
    9 Karen Tsunoda
    13 Josh Warren
    13 Jeff Gagnon
    13 Usama Farage
    13 Cary Carmichael
    17 Damien Charlety
    17 Devon Kelly
    17 Jeff Fehervari
    17 Andy Donovan
    17 Tom Collins
    17 Jeff Bumgardner
    17 Aaron Schneickert
    17 Walter Hurwitz

SIDE TOURNAMENT

In side tourney action, everyone on Star Trek washed out in Round 3, including yours truly, while six players on Radical advanced to Round 4 on Whirlwind. In Round 4, only Walter Hurwitz surpassed the required score of 8M, so if no other players could do likewise, he was the guaranteed winner.

The side tournament format was ‘High Jump’. In Round 1, you had to either get 10M on Star Trek or 3M on Radical. In Round 2 you needed 16M on Star Trek or 5M on Radical. Each round gets tougher until four or less players are left, at which point they play for highest score.

Damien didn’t do well in the main tournament but managed to make it to Round 4 in the side tourney. He finally remembered he was playing in a competition and turned his game up to full blast, just squeaking over the 8M line on the end-of-ball bonus of his last ball to earn a face-off with Walter. I made some jokes about the French to get Damien fired up and it worked. He put up a solid 10.8M on a very mean Whirlwind with extra balls turned off (the low score in Round 4 was under a million!). Walter also had a solid game but came up just a bit short. Congrats to Damien!

1 Damien Charlety $64
    2 Walter Hurwitz $48
    3 Usama Farage $32
    4 John Lautmann $16
    5 TJ Beyer
    6 Josh Lehan
    7 Aaron Schneickert
    7 Chris Harkins
    9 James Squires
    9 Jon Olkowski
    11 Josh Warren
    12 Tim Hansen
    13 Karen Tsunoda
    13 Devon Kelly
    15 Tony Lavigna
    15 Eric Wagonsonner
    17 Jeff Fehervari
    17 Tom Collins
    19 Chris Lindboe
    19 Cary Carmichael
    21 Jeff Bumgardner

Have a happy and safe New Years everyone!

#986 5 years ago

DID YOU KNOW the average tax rate in Denmark is 49%? It's true! The money goes to pay for Denmark's world renowned heath care and social subsidy programs. In their "No Pinballer Left Behind" program, citizens who find themselves down on their luck or otherwise unable to pay for pinball games are guaranteed emergency access to pinball to stave off the shakes of withdrawal. After an initial period on the usual Williams games, players are put on a strict diet of Bagatelle, and then video pinball games are used as a methadone-like replacement. Unfortunately, the program has had limited success, and recidivism is near 100%.

On Saturday January 11, there will a Danish Culture Festival* at the Pacific Pinball Museum. Mads Kristensen and Mikkel Sjolin will be on hand to answer all your Danish Culture Questions. Come learn more interesting facts, and ask questions about Denmark. For example, "Aren't those wooden shoes uncomfortable?" and "How do you make those cool pocket knives" and "Why did you name your country after a breed of dog?" Afterward, Mads and Mikkel will don their speedos and sun bathe topless on the Alameda Beach, according to Danish custom.

Also there will be a pinball tournament. Entry to the tournament is FREE with Museum admission. This is a fun, friendly format perfect for first-timers and seasoned competitors alike. If you've ever been curious, this is a great event to give it a try.

When: Saturday 1/11/2014, 2PM Start Time

Where: Pacific Pinball Museum, 1510 Webster Street (By BART, exit 12th Street and take the 58A Bus to the Santa Clara Street stop.

How Much: Entry to the main tournament is FREE with regular Museum admission ($15 for adults). Please no Groupons for this event. Annual Memberships and Club Cards are okay. There will also be a side tournament for a small additional fee.

Games: To be announced the day of the tournament, however, they will consist of Electro-mechanical (EM), solid state (SS) and dot matrix display (DMD) game eras.

Format: Players will be assigned a bank of three games and will play each game one time each. The top score on each game will automatically advance to the playoffs. The next 6 - 18 players (depending on total attendance) will qualify for the playoffs. There will also be a special novice playoff for those who qualify**

The side tournament is top secret and will be described at the event (meaning uh... we haven't worked out all the details yet!)

Prizes: Our good friends at STERN pinball are donating some prizes. Plaques will go to the top 3 players in the Open division and to the winner of the Novice division. Cash prizes will be paid out to Side Tournament winners as follows: 1st: 40% of total pot, 2nd: 30%, 3rd, 20%, 4th, 10%.

WPPRs: This tournament will award full World Pinball Player Ranking points, as well as half-WPPRs for the Side Tournament. Win or lose, by the end of the night you will be a world-ranked pinball player.

Food: Potluck! If you bring something to share you get free entry into the side tournament, but no worries if you can't. If nothing shows up we'll order pizza.

*Limited to Danish Pinball Culture only

**Novice - 1) You have never finished top 3 in an open division pinball tournament that awarded full WPPR points. 2) You have never won a novice tournament. 3) You have an IFPA rank no better than 300 4) You have never finished top 3 in a bay area pinball league that awarded WPPR points.

ppo_front_white (1).jpg

#1022 5 years ago

Who wants to do a small scale informal pin crawl in Oakland with me next week? I figured start around 6pm when I get off work, I am open to Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday depending on who (or if anyone) wants to do this. I figured we would start at:
    Stork club @ 2330 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA 94612
    Current line up according to pinball map is
    High Roller Casino
    South Park
    T2
    (not a great line up, but I am really hot to play T2 after watching Bowens tutorial, plus I am considering getting a T2 as my next game. So we don't have to stay long at this spot)
    Then its a quick two block walk to
    Legionnaire saloon @ 2272 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA 94612
    Current line up according to pinball map is
    Demo man
    Metallica pro
    Monster bash (with color dmd!)
    Scared Stiff
    Then I figure we could end it with a quick drive over to
    Ricos diner/high life pizza (whatever you want to call it) @ 400 15th St, Oakland CA
    Line up there according to pinball map is
    Attack From Mars
    Batman Dark Night
    Circus Voltaire
    Indiana jones (Williams)
    Radical!
    Star Trek Pro
    Whirlwind
    So starts at 6pm, not going too late, I figure a half hour or so at Stork club, an hour at Legionnaire more or less, then whatever time you want to go till at High Life.
    Any Interest? Let me know which day you are interested in.

Tuesday and Wednesday, Mads and Mikkel would definitely be game. They're both world-class players and super cool. On Thursday we're likely headed to BAPA or EBPL. Let's go get some grand champs!

#1026 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcadenerd925:

New to pins, just saying hi (got a TSPP for xmas), Live in the east "yay" area, I briefly browsed through this thread and saw a mention of setting up some sort of norcal site. if so lmk as I have access to a large amount of server space. however, I was thinking, it would be handy for this site to have geographically based subforums as an alternative as well (so your not having to hop around diff forums)
    Im waiting for my pinballlife order to come (pinballs, rubber, cleaner, wax, etc) so I can do my first maint on the TSPP (as well as some LED samples from cointaker to replace some blown lamps and see which ones I like best) wish me luck.

If you'd like to meet the local crowd, I'm running a tourney on the 11th at 2pm at the Pacific Pinball Museum. It's a fun, social tourney, and a good way to meet other players.

#1053 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

I was in SF for NYE, and some of the prices we saw just for rent were obscene. 4k/mo?!?!?! That is 4x my monthly mortgage! No thank you

SF is the now the most expensive rental city in the country (yes, even beating NYC). One friend of mine has a pinball game in his kitchen!

#1077 5 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

How was the tournament at PPM?

We got 70 players and things ran fairly smoothly. Andrei massenkoff took first. I tied for 7 th.

I made 3lbs of swedish meatballs and they were gone in 20 minutes. So we got some pizzas.

#1082 5 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

That seems like a huge turnout. At what point do you have too many players?
    Sucks I missed it. I was totally planning on coming but had to change my plans at the last minute.

Things can scale up as long as I have enough help. We were lucky however in that no games went down.

I was expecting at least 55 and likely 65 so the format was based around that but I think this format could have accomodated up to about 90 players before problems start creeping in. Mainly due to the length of the qualifying round.

1 week later
    #1153 5 years ago

This Sunday, Echa Schneider (Belles and Chimes) and Jessica Rogers are hosting a womens’ tournament at Free Gold Watch. Registration is at 1 PM and the tournament starts at 2 PM.

Even if you don't pack the requisite equipment to participate, Free Gold Watch has over 30 pinball games including Wizard of Oz, so it's a good excuse to go perv some chicks play some pinball.

Free Gold Watch is located at 1767 Waller Street. To get there via public trans from the east bay take the BART to Embarcadero and then take the N-Judah Muni train to the Carl/Cole stop. Walk three blocks north on Cole then turn left on Waller for two blocks.

If driving, don’t park long term in the McDonalds or Whole Foods lots. You WILL get towed.

If you have questions about the tournament email bellesandchimespinball@gmail.com

womens.jpg
    #1165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Flamethrower:

Jonny, I really appreciate you helping to promote the tournament - it has been on my list to post something on Pinside and I just keep not getting to it.
    However, I would prefer that you not make jokes about "perving" on my players. Although it may seem funny to you, it is very much not funny to many women, since dealing with creepy behavior from random men is an unavoidable and near-constant reality for any woman playing pinball in public. Already, I have been contacted by three people who planned to attend telling me that they don't want to go anymore because they're worried about men showing up and harassing them.
    For any ladies who are/were thinking of attending: I am 100% committed to ensuring a safe environment for our players, and any player who feels uncomfortable with the behavior of any spectator should come tell me and I will deal with it discreetly and without involving you. Please do not let this dissuade you, we're going to have a good time!

It was a joke. But, let's get serious for a second.

It was a *joke*. Yikes.

You, or someone affiliated with the tournament advertised 'panty hose', 'boobs', 'byooobs' and simultaneously also included "Move it, Sausage Fest" on your promo poster. In fact, "Move it, Sausage" is printed on your league T shirts.

But I'm supposedly encouraging pervs to attend.

And I'm the supposed misogynist.

I'm about done with this pinball thing.

1 week later
    #1251 5 years ago
    Quoted from micro:

From my seats, it looked like Echa, was trying to very respectfully cite the reason's that the comment was off base. It looked to me like Jonny was the one to lose it.

And we shouldn't disregard how poor his comments were. They were pretty immature, and um .... gross!

Bottom line here is that he crossed the line (not remotely the first time btw), and joked about something that is taken very seriously by some women here, and should be taken seriously by all people here. Guys, he joked about "perving out" on an all women's tournament. He caused three women to not go to the tournament as a result. Way to support another person's tournament!

Well, your seats are lopsided, dude.

There are four jokes of a sexual nature on that poster: "No balls required", "Move it Sausage", "BOOBS" and "BYOBoobs". Two with the butt of the joke being men, and two women. I added a fifth joke, which given the previous four, was entirely fair and in context. But my comments are "gross" and "taken very seriously by some women here". For some reason, no discussion of their jokes. They get a pass. My comments supposedly encourage harassment. Advertising BOOBS does not do this, however.

I didn't cause three women to not attend that tournament. Three women chose to get paranoid and/or over-sensitive at my comments. They're grown-ups. They're responsible for their actions. They're intelligent enough to sense humor and sarcasm. They're intelligent enough to put things in context. They're intelligent enough to at least say, "Hey, wait is he being serious? Oh, he's being a smartass? Okay."

The notion that my silly little comments on my silly little website are powerful enough to divert the course of female participation in pinball is... kind of flattering, actually. hahahaha. But also highly idiotic.

I find it disappointing that you're saying my comments were immature and gross, because you've made many, many similar comments and jokes yourself to and around female players. If the roles were reversed I can't even imagine taking the moral high ground. But it is what it is.

Yeah, there are a lot of things that have been bugging me, not to mention a bit of burnout, and this wasn't the sole reason I've decided to head off into the sunset. But without a doubt, this whole thing is bar none the dumbest thing I've ever personally experienced in pinball. And combined with a lot of other dumb stuff, I ask myself if I should bust my ass yet again to put something on for the scene that has, in its negative aspects, become incrementally more and more ridiculous. And incrementally lost it's goddamn sense of humor. One day you wake up and the answer tips the scales from "yes" to "no".

It's been fun, folks. I mean that truly. I'm going back to being just a plain old pinball player. Despite all the drama and negativity, the scene is better and bigger than ever, and in very capable hands. I look forward to seeing you at a tournament or a show. I will be the creepy guy in the corner wearing a raincoat and sunglasses.

1 week later
    #1350 5 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

For fooking real. I highly recommend avoiding using a long, Indiana Jones rickety ramp like we did for PAGG last year. David(EBP) and I almost killed each other on multiple occasions and I personally almost dumped WWFRR over the side when it became a runaway game halfway down the ramp...which would have been tragic, because David and I just got done spending 3 months restoring the thing and PAGG was the first place it was getting played.
    Lift gate is the way to go. I don't care if it is slower.

When I was helping during load-in for PPE 2010 I almost dropped a game off the ramp. It felt totally manageable until I got it on the ramp, after which it turned into that carnival game where you have to climb up the rope ladder backwards. I cried uncle and a bunch of guys came to help, at first pushing the game in the direction it was listing (the other way!!!), such that I had to shoulder it hard to keep it from falling and got a nice scraping and bruise.

The worst thing is a documentary team was filming the whole thing.

The following year I showed up to prep the tournament area and Special Force was being held together in a maze of braces being glued back together. Someone had dropped it!

1 week later
    #1406 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Why is free gold watch having a hearing?
    Are the town crooks trying to bleed them dry with shake downs or some other jug head b.s.?

The general problem that places like FGW run into is that above a certain number of games you're deemed an Arcade and certain laws apply. Many of these laws date back to the 80s when arcades were everywhere and extremely lucrative. One problem is the per-machine licensing fee can make running arcade these days impossible.

Other codes make a decent amount of sense, for example, having enough emergency exits and bathrooms. ADA compliance. Max occupancy rules. Insurance. Still, the cost to rectify these issues can kill a place.

Other rules that might also come into play in some areas (I haven't looked up the muni code of SF) is that you can't have an arcade within X miles of a school, or not allowing minors in during school hours or until 5pm (and the onus is on the proprietor to enforce). Though, as we know, it's mainly adults who play pinball so these codes are somewhat outdated.

On a side note, there are still pinball codes on the books in Oakland related to Bingos! And in Salinas, you can't play pinball unless you're 18!

I hope FGW comes to an equitable agreement with the City. It's really an awesome place and Matt and the staff are really the best. There are only a handful of good places to play in the city and FGW is by far the best.

#1410 5 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

There were 6-8 of us at the hearing tonight to support Matt (first time I have spoken at a hearing of any kind!). The commissioners were really cool and only had questions about whether or not the games they remember from the 70s/80s were on location at FGW. The permit was approved unanimously.

OH SHIT THIS IS AWESOME.

1 week later
    #1439 5 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Two tourneys coming up in SF to support Barry Oursler and Python Anghelo - both at Free Gold Watch on Wed (tomorrow) and Sunday at 6pm (not 2pm as listed here):

Pinball benefit week.jpg 146 KB

Nice! I posted it up on my site (no one reads that shit anyway).

1 month later
    #1545 5 years ago

Two bay area players, Damien Charlety and Andrei Massenkoff, finished top 4 at Pinburgh, the biggest tournament in the world. They made it past 400 players to finish 2nd and 4th respectively!

Damien has only been competing since 2011. In fact, I ran the first tourney he competed in, (pagg 2011), making it all the more amazing. He's gone on to start two pinball leagues in the Capitol Corridor and Sac proper.

Andrei Massenkoff has been a local champion and PAPA World Champion in 2011. He played a tough semi, coming back from a medium start. He had to win his last game to force a tie-breaker against Jorion Englebrekston, one of the top Swedish players and also a former World Champion. He won the tie-break for the right to play in the Final.

Hats off to both these guys. They played tough pinball and did amazing!

Post edited by jonnyo: 400 not 600

1 month later
    #1669 5 years ago

A couple Bay Area players are at the IFPA World Pinball Championship: Andrei Massenkoff and Andreas Pedersen.

Keep up on the standings here:

http://www.ifpapinball.com/wc/ifpa_wc_results.php

And give these guys some love and cheer!!

8 months later
    #2558 4 years ago

Hey folks, I’ve decided to get off my lazy ass and do a tournament.

Where: Pacific Pinball Museum. When: 2/21/15 Info: http://pinballbayarea.com

Actually, there’ll be two. If you’ve played in the PPO in the past you know the basic format: play each game once and either get a top score or finish high enough overall to advance to the finals. As always, this ‘main’ tournament is FREE with regular museum admission and this is a very beginner-friendly event. Register and play your qualifier games starting at about 4 PM, but you can show up as late as 6 or 7 and still get in.

This year I’m adding a new format as well: Round Robin. This tournament will cost $30 on top of regular admission but all money will be paid out. It will be limited to 40 players. This Round Robin has a twist I think you’ll really like! Be sure to read the rules on my tournament page (http://pinballbayarea.com/pinball-tournament/) to see if this is for you. Also, note the different, much earlier start time (around 11:30 AM) for the Round Robin event.

If you want to play in the Round Robin, email me at jonnynacho@gmail.com. I will send you my paypal address where you can send $30 to reserve a spot. If you don’t have/want paypal your best bet is to pay through someone who does. Worst case I’ll take your name down, but paid spots will be filled before name reservations.

Hope to see you there!

ppo.png
    #2574 4 years ago

Nice catch, Steve!

2 weeks later
    #2630 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Question about PPM, i've never been and considering going soon. My Daughter, who is almost two, loves to watch me play pinball @home. So my question is, how kid friendly is PPM? for those with kids old enough to play, do they have any kind of step stool or anything for a wee one to stand on?
    Thnx and Cheers.

They have kids there all the time, like Boys and Girl Scouts, school groups and the like.

They just don't like when kids chimp the flippers.

Yes, they have step stools.

PPM is fine for kids but Playland not at the Beach is really designed for them. They have around 30 pinball games and lots of carnival games, magic shows and other attractions.

5 months later
    #3107 4 years ago

I'll be doing another fun casual tournament tomorrow at CAX. Probably a 1-handed. I'm going to see if Marco will let me use their KISS, otherwise I'll find a good EM.

I have one more KISS translite to give away, as well as a limited edition (30/100) Alice in Wonderland print from ZombieYeti, and 2 passes to the Cal Academy of Sciences "Evening" events (read: booze). And maybe I can finagle some other goodies.

I'll post the time on the big events board in the registration area, and on the machine itself once I know I'm not conflicting with other events, as well as announce it over the loudspeaker an hour in advance. Shooting for some time like 3, 4, or 5 PM.

1 month later
    #3285 3 years ago

Stopped in at the PPM yesterday for a couple hours and instead of skipping the wood rails like I usually do I decided to give them a shot. Gotta say they were pretty fun! Now I just need to convince the wife that I should have a line up of five pins so I can justify getting one to myself, can't see having one in a four pin line up... but a five pin line up....
    Marble queen was my fave, but I only played a couple on my way out the door. Anyone else like the wood rails at ppm and have a recommendation of ones I should try next time?
    image.jpg

'Balls-a-poppin' (1956), later re-issued as 'Circus' is one of the best. PPM had one on-loan from PHoF for a couple years and I keep trying to get Michael to find one. Super fun, linkable multible and very nudgeable.

If anyone has one for sale I'd be interested.

#3290 3 years ago

Anyone interested in hitting up the Pacific Pinball Museum on Friday night? Its the last day my year long membership is good for, so I gotta get a few last games in.
    Thinking I will be there around 7pm (possibly 6) until close at midnight.

I might be up for that, Steve. I'm taking Friday off to make it a 4-day weekend.

1 month later
    #3449 3 years ago

For those of you who route games, there's a new feature in the Pinball Map apps that can email you a "daily digest" of comments on your locations/machines. This tool enables you to more proactively address maintenance or other issues related to your locations. Better working games and timely repairs mean better games for us and more money for you!

The Pinball Map is and always will be "by players for players" and use of this tool is free.

If you're interested and your locations are part of the Bay Area Pinball Map, you can contact Eric or myself through my site or through the map site:

http://pinballmap.com/bayarea/about
    http://pinballbayarea.com/contact/

If you're in the Sac area, please contact those admins here:

http://pinballmap.com/sacramento/about

#3452 3 years ago

Great stuff! and great seeing you the other night!

Always a pleasure, my friend. And I made 9 bucks in cash games, all told, thanks to that EM in the back yard.

#3461 3 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

You can thank TJ (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/tjbeyer) for that! He took over that location for games and really dialed it up from like a 2 to a 10!

Quoted from johnnyutah:

Thanks TJ!
    Last time I was there all they had was the Avengers and Nascar pins. Much better now!

For you capitol corridor/sac and surrounding area folks, now that you have a go-to place, would you be interested in a tournament at Scandia Fairfield?

Like events I've done in the past it will be $5 entry + coin drop and a relaxed atmosphere. Bad attitudes, griefers and especially cheaters are never tolerated at my events. If you've played in the PAGG tourney, it's the same general atmosphere and you know what to expect.

Time investment would be around 4 hours for most and the start around 1 or 2 PM. All entry money gets paid out to winners, plus some prizes like translites, but I also have a limited edition Alice in Wonderland print from ZombieYeti that I'd be willing to throw in.

If this is something you'd like to do, even if you're not sure (but maybe next time), let me and the op know.

#3466 3 years ago

I would run any event! Let's do it!

#3472 3 years ago

I know Sborel as well. I'll get in touch with him and see if we can put something together. It would likely be a couple months out though.

As for Scandia, I'm still interested in doing something there, and probably first. A friend of mine is the op and would be on hand the day of the event to address any technical issues. He's also very open to suggestions, and if you place comments for his games on the pinball map, like something needing repair, he receives a daily digest.

These events will award wppr points but not a whole lot so if that's your thing it might not be the event for you. The focus will be on an enjoyable format, not maxing points.

#3497 3 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

TJ just installed his GoT at Hi Life in Oakland last night

It should also be at Gestalt tonight or at the latest tomorrow. See you at the tournament on Sunday.

Heading to Hi Life in a few minutes to go play it.

3 weeks later
    #3571 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jozepp:

Hi Nor Cal Pinheads, my name is Joey and i'm moving to East Bay, San Ramon, in late December. I wanted to say hello and ask where the good local places are to play and if there are any leagues open to new members in the area? Also I'm looking to make a few new friends and meet local pinball folks to hangout with. I'll be bringing 2 EMs with me from FLorida, FREEFALL and DIMENSION.
    A little about me, I'm grew up in NJ and lived in NYC for a long time and ran an event called The Pinball Pub Crawl. I've been living in Florida for the last 10 years. I'm into live music and play bass and guitar. I have been into pinball since 1996. My first game was a beat to shit Space Shuttle that I fixed and did a playfield swap on. Next pin was Addams Family and then there was no stopping me from collecting pins. Along the way i have had a bunch of EMs and SS including MB, BSD, PIN-BOT, WW, Gorgar, JD, FT, TZ, SPOT-A-CARD, 2001. I really enjoy fixing up dead games as much as playing and have been doing EM house call repairs and cabinet restorations for other collectors. Once i get settle in SF one my first stops will be to the Pacific Pinball Museum and Phoenix Games. So thats it, Cheers and Happy Holidays

The good news is you're equidistant from three leagues. The bad news is you're still far from all of them!

Traffic-wise your best bets are probably Oakland and Concord. The Oakland league is super laid back and no wpprs. Maybe too laid back for some... The concord league is also very laid back but more competitive and they do award wpprs. There are a few highly ranked players there. I've played multiple seasons in both and they're both great leagues, just depends on what you're looking for.

#3572 3 years ago

Anybody going to Arcade Expo next month? I just booked my airbnb. Can't wait!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 25.50
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 30.40
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 6.00
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside