Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,387 posts
  • 408 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by Jecco74
  • Topic is favorited by 276 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pixelcut-export-1713510013302 (resized).png
    Concord Open 2024~2 (resized).jpg
    types-of-pfd-1_1000x (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genex.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#275 10 years ago

Hey there, just saw this thread and thought I'd say hello. I have been addicted to playing pinball lately and since I am a photographer by trade, I also take a lot of pix when I can to document the scene wherever I go. There's a running gallery I am posting to here:
    http://store.orangephotography.com/sfpins

Also I do a little audio for the Pinball Soul podcast from time to time - current episode has some audio from the Fall Season launch of the SFPD too: http://pinballsoul.com/pinball-soul-podcast-11/

#278 10 years ago

Thanks - I haven't been able to put up a 100M+ score on MET yet See you around? Are you in the SFPD league?

Oh yeah, and you NorCal folks may notice that's Challisa working on her board with Tim.

Quoted from phishrace:

Nice work on the PHOF pics Gene. Cool that Tim let you take take some pics. Nice work on AC/DC too. What the heck happened on MET? Were you drunk when you were putting in your initials. d
    For those that haven't seen Gene's work, it's awesome. In dimly lit pinball locations and without a flash, he can still find enough light for great pics. You definitely want to click on the link above.

#280 10 years ago

Oh hey Mike - yeah good times that night (and since)! See you around soon I'm sure! I'll have to trek up to Rohnert some time when I hit up Russian River!

Quoted from phishrace:

I'm in BAPA Gene. I'm Mike. We met at Legionaire that night you did a kick save on MET while wearing a neck brace. Neil and I both agreed afterward that your doctor probably would not have of approved of that maneuver, but we sure liked it. d:^)
    Glad the brace is off and will definitely see you around. If you haven't tried it yet, you may want to check out the MET at Scandia in Rohnert Park. That's the one I've gotten my biggest score on so far (since wiped due to a software update). It plays real nice. With the new software and your skills, you'll crack 100M easy on that one.

#295 10 years ago

@MOF nice meeting you last night at league! I just posted those shots (not too many, since i was playing well http://store.orangephotography.com/sfpins

#306 10 years ago

Played tonight with a bunch of great folks at Pacific Pinball Museum. Afterwards we hit up Disco Volante in Oakland - this is what happened:

6363_SFPins_0496f.gif6363_SFPins_0496f.gif

#320 10 years ago

Yes but always call first on weekends, sometimes they open a little later on weekends than what's posted.
    -mof

Yep - last night we were there until like 7-something and 'officially' it closes at 6 on Sundays, but Matt is a real pinball guy so if folks are there, he's cool with staying open a little if he doesn't have to close shop. Again hours for those of you all who are too lazy to click the link I posted above (i'm one of those lazy people):

6363_SFPins_0757f.jpg6363_SFPins_0757f.jpg

#324 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Thanks!
    Hit me up next time you guys are out playing in Oakland or at PPM!

Will do! I wanna play on your Shadow some time too - don't know that machine but it seems fun!

#328 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Did they have a change machine there or should I hit up the Laundromat on my way out?

They have a change machine that is usually working fine

#330 10 years ago

Thanks for the tip Gene! Hope to meet you sometime at one of the local events.

Definitely! You should drop in on league night next Wednesday if you can make it - not sure how far you are but it's a great group of people.

#350 10 years ago

I see Devon has got the high score on that Metallica - damn 333M+!

1 month later
    #406 10 years ago

Anyone going to Pinball Expo in Chicago from here? Wanna play in that ExpoBrawl as a team?

2 weeks later
    #542 10 years ago

@mrgone
    It was really sosages idea but I could coordinate or help set it up. I'm in Mexico on a crappy kindle right now.so it sucks to type, but can jump on this when I'm home. Lets do a quick poll though. Which do people prefer:
    1. On a Friday night
    2. Saturday open till whenever
    3. Saturday eve until closing
    4. Sunday open until whenever.

I'm up for it any day since I live in SF. Would be fun! If they can stay open later that's cool too but not too big a deal since I probably will take BART/bike...

#559 10 years ago

Any other pinsiders in league at Free Gold Watch? I know mof, haugstrup, jonnyo, Spybryon, Pinballrus, phishrace

#570 10 years ago
    Quoted from d0:

d0 plays in the league....

Were you there last night d0? Just uploaded pix!

Quoted from scasey:

I am not a member, but I just sold them a Cyclone.
    Sean

I played it in league last night - tough game! Don't really know how to play it but I liked it so far!

#573 10 years ago

Yeah only EKA, me and GOD played. EKA got her name up on the high scores after I left, but I had fun playing. Tilt is not too tight although I suspect that'll be fixed soon

#601 10 years ago

9th looks good to me so far - I can take the group pic if I make it

1 week later
    #642 10 years ago

I'm outta town for a shoot so can't make it unfortunately!

#679 10 years ago

Man, Ralph Macchio better make an appearance!

#685 10 years ago

Can you catch Fattrain and I in the Stern Star Trek launch video?

#689 10 years ago

Sweet - wish I could make it! I want one of those badges

#701 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Had a blast playing her Embryon and especially her Stern Big Game.
    -mof

You are a lucky man!

2 weeks later
    #775 10 years ago

Jonny O just posted the $7 PPM groupon in case you guys didn't already see it on his awesome site. Direct link:
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/pacific-pinball-museum-2?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uu

2 weeks later
    #845 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Who in the Bay Area is getting a ST Premium?
    Robert

There's one on location and two that I know of in people's homes. The one on location is at Phoenix Games in Concord.

#900 10 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Giant fan all the way!!!

you're a good man! We gotta do a NorCal vs SoCal pinball thing - or even a West Coast thing would be fun vs Portland and Seattle. I know at INDISC it'll be a bit of NorCal vs SoCal since we're bringing a lotta folks

1 week later
    #920 10 years ago

Love Taxi! That would be a fun one to have a sequel to (or if you could do like Bride of Pinbot 2.0 and have two different versions to run). I think if you replaced the passengers it'd be neat to kinda replace them per category.

For example:
    Gorbie = prominent world leader at the time of former enemy country of USA
    2014 version = Xi Jinping would make sense but maybe no one knows him well enough so maybe Angela Merkel of Germany?

Marilyn = pop culture icon
    2014 version = Lady Gaga

PinBot = pinball robot/legend
    2014 version = PinBot or Bride of Pinbot or even JackBot?

Santa Claus = santa claus
    2014 version = Hannukah Harry?

Drac = bloodsucker
    2014 version = pinside trolls

#934 10 years ago

Glad you made it by! Was the AC/DC there yet? I can't wait to play more of that

#936 10 years ago

I'm not sure - couldn't tell from the pic I saw but I was hoping it'd be a Luci

#942 10 years ago

NES is not afraid - only played with him once but had fun. Learned a lot!

#965 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

We were putting together a pin crawl for next weekend. But due to the lack of good locations it looked like it was just going to be a couple houses. I'll send a follow up to the SPG group today.
    Regardless of what happens with that I am planning a trip with my daughter to ppm the following weekend. You are welcome to come along.

Actually JonnyO is hosting an international pinball tourney on Jan 11th at PPM. I'll be there as well as some Danish pinballers and a lot of us other pin folk. Stop by. Tourney entry is free w/museum entry and should be fun!

#1036 10 years ago

Can you actually buy anything for less than that? I thought my place was about as small as place as you can reasonably live in and it was over that. I guess SF is a bit more skewed... But I do have room for a pin in my third-floor walkup - doh!

#1054 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

SF is the now the most expensive rental city in the country (yes, even beating NYC). One friend of mine has a pinball game in his kitchen!

I dream of the day! I don't cook anyhow

#1085 10 years ago

I saw a girl from SFPD league got that Radical too.

#1110 10 years ago
    Quoted from Brookelynn23:

Hello NorCal peeps! I'm in West Sonoma County and am obsessed with playing. I'm hoping to learn about leagues, meet local players and keep working on my skills. My first post, FTW!

Welcome! Lots of good pinball here in NorCal! If you get down to SF there are tons of places to play and if you don't know about pinball map it's got good current listings:
    http://pinballmap.com/bayarea#

#1127 10 years ago

Just want to say that NorCal represented well at INDISC! So much fun this past weekend and I'll be uploading photos soon. Met Nate from Coast 2 Coast and a bunch of new friends. Looking forward to getting back home and hey whomever has a Shadow in NorCal, man that is my new favorite game

1 week later
    #1250 10 years ago

Results from the Pacific Pinball Open are up - Jonny needs help with the names of a few folks so if you know them put a note in the comments: http://pinballbayarea.com/2014/02/01/pacific-pinball-open-results/

#1289 10 years ago

A couple things:

1) Pin-a Go Go 2013 just got written up in Pinballnews.com: http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/pagg2013/index.html

2) To bridge this battle of the sexes, I propose a tournament that I will put on (my first!) if folks are interested. I will have to check with IFPA on legalities to have it count with WPPRs.

Let's call it: Split-Flipper Mixed-Gender Team Tommy Dollars*?

* Rules:
    - each team is one male and one female
    - teams can choose which flipper is which person, but they have to switch every ball
    - extra balls can be played but would incur a switch on flippers
    - knockout format (double elim maybe?)
    - donation of a portion of proceeds would go to First Exposures (a mentoring program I am a part of that works with youth and mentors through photography) http://firstexposures.org/
    - we can pair you up if you don't have a team (if there's enough balance in genders)

Thoughts?

#1301 10 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

Just a note on the WPPRs. You can't get WPPRs for team tournaments (otherwise a strong player can pull up a poor player).

You are correct! Just got word from IFPA on that and I think I'll do a main "open" tournament for WPPRs and then this as the side tourney since I know people love them some WPPRs.

1 week later
    #1360 10 years ago

Just a heads up that one of the two Barry Oursler benefit tournaments in the Bay Area is this weekend on Sat at Pizza Depot in Sunnyvale. I went there for the first time after a photoshoot last weekend and it's got a lot of nice pins! Details for the event are posted here:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/220594144799596/

I'll be there and would love to meet some other pinsiders as well as play some pinball for a great cause.

#1376 10 years ago

Anyone going to drive from San Francisco to the Oursler tourney at Pizza Depot on Saturday and got room for someone else?

#1390 10 years ago

Definitely support FGW at City Hall tomorrow if you can go - plus City Hall is really nice!

Also, on Fri the 21st in SF and 22nd in Oakland, the co-creator or Drop Target Zine (Alec Longstreth) will be doing a signing and selling his new book Basewood at Mission Comics in SF and Dr. Comics Mr. Games in Oakland. Some location pinball close(ish) to both! http://www.alec-longstreth.com/blog/717/

#1394 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Why is free gold watch having a hearing?
    Are the town crooks trying to bleed them dry with shake downs or some other jug head b.s.?

It should go smoothly, but it's a hearing to approve their application for having pins (there's some sorta old school laws around still for permits I think). It should be fine, as the boss of the commission who is approving it happened to come in and have a blast and didn't even realize it was 'that' place until she was already there is the word on the street. If people can come support in person it would be great though!

Also, if anyone is a Lebowski fan, it's showing for FREE on Sat night at the awesomely restored Nourse Theater:
    http://sf.funcheap.com/event-series/philip-seymour-hoffman-movie-marathon-city-arts-lectures/

#1412 10 years ago

One super cool moment was when Andrei Massenkoff got up to speak and mentioned he was the 2010 PAPA World Champion and one of the commissioners did the 'we're not worthy' move

1 week later
    #1435 10 years ago

Two tourneys coming up in SF to support Barry Oursler and Python Anghelo - both at Free Gold Watch on Wed (tomorrow) and Sunday at 6pm (not 2pm as listed here): Pinball benefit week.jpgPinball benefit week.jpg

1 week later
    #1515 10 years ago

Awesome, loving the new code so far (although I have only played two games on it). We updated the code to 1.5 at the Pacific Pinball Museum last night as well.

1 week later
    #1524 10 years ago

Had a blast today at the Pinbattle Royale that Sosage put on! Great to meet him and other pinsiders like Norcalrealtor today. Tourney format was so fun and we were psyched to take 2nd. A few pix are posted here: http://store.orangephotography.com/p328863282

1 week later
    #1542 10 years ago

I'll be there - there's a huge NorCal contingent too including some bad ass women who represented us well here in Vegas.

Oh and thanks to Matt Sarnoff (2nd in the tourney!) FGW and SFPD are both represented at the PHOF:
    pinball2014_0576f.jpgpinball2014_0576f.jpgpinball2014_0571f.jpgpinball2014_0571f.jpg

3 weeks later
    #1586 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Does anyone know if there is a Mustang launch event happening in the Bay Area?

I heard that since no one in NorCal bought one there isn't going to be a launch party up here

1 week later
    #1621 10 years ago

Hey all, I just ran a tournament for the first time and am considering doing another one in the near-ish future. Are there any pinsiders who'd be open to hosting it? Timing is all up in the air etc, but would love it if it could be with a collection of 10+ games or so. Feel free to PM me here if you are interested!

1 week later
    #1656 9 years ago

Hey all, so I will be putting on my first tournament on June 22nd and I'm looking for a good venue for this. I don't really know too much about it although it'll be part fundraiser and due to the popularity of the SFPD league pinball trading cards, I think I'll give out a personalized trading card to everyone who enters. It will benefit a non-profit I volunteer with, First Exposures, and will be a WPPR tourney too.

If anyone would be open to hosting if you have a decent sized collection let me know. I am based in SF but am open to things around the Bay Area.

Thanks!pinball2014_0940f.jpgpinball2014_0940f.jpg

#1663 9 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

Anyone know if there's a Mustang on location anywhere in the bay area? I just wanna try it, not sure if I'm gonna make it to PAGG this year.

Not that I know of and didn't see it on pinballmap.com either. It's actually pretty fun so I'd like to play it more too - let us know if you find it!

2 weeks later
    #1670 9 years ago

Joey Springer too!

#1682 9 years ago

Ooh can you all add them to the Pinballmap.com site too? http://pinballmap.com/bayarea#

#1685 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Sounds like there is now a Mustang at Thalassa in Berkeley - anyone played it?

NES told me about it being there so I suspect he may already be GC I wanna go play it while it's fresh and not all beat up since the OP there doesn't maintain them well. Hopefully it's the latest code since it's much more fun

#1697 9 years ago

So much great pinball out here! If you wanna look up locations make sure to check the pinball map app too (or website).

http://pinballmap.com/bayarea#

Oh yeah we just updated the code on Metallica at Gestalt to 1.51 - so fun!

#1713 9 years ago

Hey all so I am running my first WPPR tourney on June 22nd (Sunday): http://pinside.com/pinball/events/fx-benefit-pinball-tournament-2014

I am in talks with Playland Not at the Beach but haven't finalized things so don't have a location locked down right now.

Do you all know anyone who might be open to hosting it? It's probably gonna have around 25-30 people or so max and I'd like to have it reasonably close to SF/OAK/Berkeley (close to BART/CalTrain is great). I've already talked to a few league players etc and don't want to steal points from locations that have already hosted tourneys so any input would be appreciated. If you have 6+ machines it'd probably work but 8+ is ideal I'd say.

Thanks in advance!

3 weeks later
    #1777 9 years ago

Thanks to all the folks that participated in my benefit tournament this past weekend - I just posted a blog entry about the results etc. The craziest thing was Jake Bondar scoring over 94M points in 3 minutes on the side tourney on LOTR!
    http://pulp.orangephotography.com/blog/?p=10641

1 week later
    #1790 9 years ago

SFPD has a waiting list but you can get in touch - season starts July 30th I think: http://www.sfpins.org

#1797 9 years ago

Anyone gonna host a BBQ/Pinball and beer Fourth party? (or in general this weekend?) Be happy to run a fun tournament or something!

1 week later
    #1798 9 years ago

I know CAX is this weekend but if you don't get enough pinball there, come out to support a great pinballer's first tourney on Tuesday in SF. Eric W who is the administrator for the pinballmap.com and also helps with the locator here on pinside will be hosting his first tournament at Gestalt Haus. Here's a FB event page with more details as well:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/310164685817111/

2 weeks later
    #1847 9 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

What happened to Dirty Harry and LW3 at FGW? Wasnt there an ACDC too?

That AC/DC is now at Elbo Room

#1850 9 years ago
    Quoted from kmk68sin:

I keep trying to make time to go over to free gold watch but haven't had a chance yet.
    I know...no excuse for a local...

and when can we come play your sweet collection?

1 week later
    #1859 9 years ago

what Andreas said!

I did go to EBPL league night before and met a guy who is considering setting up another league in SF. He works in the Mission near where I live and play a lot and since I think there were over 40 people on the wait list for SFPD another SF league could work.

I know in NYC they have one league that is team-based and I like that idea. Not sure what he's going to do but that could be another option. Def lots of great pinball here in NorCal! welcome!

1 month later
    #1941 9 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Hey Guys,
    I will be hosting an Oktoberfest event at the house on October 25th. All Pinheads are welcome I just ask that you rsvp ahead of time if you are able to make it.
    Here is the rundown: We plan on bbq'n during the event, having snacks, playing pins and just relaxing with other people who enjoy playing pinball. The catch for the Oktoberfest event, if you attend, will be to bring a 12-pack of some off the wall brand name of beer for all to enjoy during the event and have fun. The event will start at 2:00pm and last until ??.
    If you have any questions feel free to send me a message
    Hope to see you there.
    Loren

sweet, any tourneys? or can we run one for fun if people are up for it? I'll just be getting back from Expo the night before!

#1943 9 years ago

Just to promote the Walking Dead launch party that Eric W. will be running (since I'll be at Expo)
    TWD_Launch_Gestalt_WEB.jpgTWD_Launch_Gestalt_WEB.jpg

1 week later
    #1951 9 years ago

Anyone in NorCal getting America's Most Haunted? Really love that game after playing it bunch today. Would love to pump quarters on location (or play at someone's house!

#1975 9 years ago

That was from when we were playing it and broke it. NES called the op so not sure if it's fixed now.

#1977 9 years ago

It was NES! It was his ball, I was player two or three (& about to make a huge comeback since he was at like 350M+

#1998 9 years ago

those of us on original preorder will ship in 2Q and people getting in now would ship around 3Q is what they said. I'm happy to bring mine out. I think we're trying to see how many we can get at PAGG if the timing works (like the 7 Spirits!)

2 weeks later
    #2030 9 years ago

You should def come out to tourneys. My first was a PAPA Circuit event (which I didn't know at the time) and I had a blast even though I placed super poorly. Jump in and have fun!

Quoted from BlobfishXL:

I am reading about these tournaments. Would they be welcoming to a rank beginner (I think the most pinball I have played up to this point is Kirby's Pinball Land and the occasional quarter here and there)?
    The wife and I have been out to Playland-not-by-the-sea, Hi-Life, PPM. In fact I am thinking about volunteering at the museum. Does anyone know if they let the volunteers get involved with repair? I think I understand the Williams System 9 board pretty well now!
    I'm already looking for an upgrade over Comet, but we really only have room for one machine to be set up (maybe 3 more in storage).
    So basically: Hello!

#2040 9 years ago

Anyone ordered AMH in the Bay Area? And will it be on location anywhere? Love that game!

1 week later
    #2110 9 years ago

I have non perfect ones (some small scratches) for free if you happen to be in desperate need because one broke.

free?! I'm in if ZRW doesn't take it

1 week later
    #2164 9 years ago

Hey all PPM just posted a cool video about their potential move into the Carnegie Library:
    http://vimeo.com/97979735

If you'd like to donate you can do so here: http://pacificpinball.org/donations

Also I'll be running a New Years Eve tourney there and proceeds from tickets to that will also help them out so come on out, earn some WPPRs and ring in the New Year playing pinball!

https://www.facebook.com/events/946156925412418/

1 week later
    #2233 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Man, that Xmen gets passed around like Lindsey Lohan. My Pro wasn't a keeper either. At least, not in my small collection.

I think X-men is a fun game, but I wouldn't necessarily own it (unless I was rich). Lots of neat shots on it and somehow I'm decent at it

1 month later
    #2408 9 years ago

Just a quick reminder. Gestalt Haus in SF will be closed for a month and tonight is the last full evening they are open. They will be getting rid of all the alcohol so super sweet deals on stuff all night. Close at 2am so a few of us will be up late tonight trying to put up some new GCs before the super secret tournament there on Jan 31st! Come on by and I'll buy you a drink or a few!

1 week later
    #2478 9 years ago

See you at Arcade Expo Steve! I'll have my badge from last time

4 weeks later
    #2633 9 years ago
    Quoted from PWhiz:

Hey guys. Two reasons for posting. First, I was curious if anyone else in the Bay Area is planning on getting an MMR. I put a deposit on one and can't wait to get mine, hopefully in the next month or two. If anybody's curious about it, I could probably have a little pinball party or something at my place once it's setup for anyone who would like to check it out.
    Secondly, if anyone is looking(or knows someone who might be) for a really nice LOTR(2003), I'm looking to sell mine. I'm asking $5k for it and no trades, sorry.
    sfbay.craigslist.org link
    Cheers!

I know an operator that has two on order that will be put on location. Not sure who else is getting one but several NorCal folks for sure!

2 weeks later
    #2717 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Or anywhere in the Bay Area for that matter?

I got my bike powder coated at West Coast Powdercoating who was highly recommended by the guy who built my first bike and they did nice work. Not sure how it applies for pinball stuff vs a bicycle, but they had all sorts of stuff laying around they had done and I am very happy with my bike.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-powder-coating-south-san-francisco

#2726 9 years ago

His games may be priced a little higher than the usual, but his attention to them and maintanace is top notch. Last time I was there they had a MB with the color DMD, where else are you going to find that on route?!?

Yes TJ is the best OP and takes great care of his machines. It's still cheap to play pinball on location and compared the the LED'd out machines that Rainbow now prices at $1/play in SF it's a good deal. Support location pinball

1 month later
    #2897 9 years ago

Berkeley Macs! And yeah you gotta find out from someone directly. We can't be posting that stuff publicly or...

2 weeks later
    #2928 8 years ago
    Quoted from tjbeyer:

NES with combined winnings (3 places) of about $130
    Hal with about $38-$39
    Aaron Nelson with $8-$9
    Winning scores and payouts will be on the machine for a while.

Will you do TOPS tourneys at any future locations you might operate at?

Oh and on a separate note - see how many NorCal folks you can identify in this documentary: https://vimeo.com/125855036

#2929 8 years ago

For those of you into tournaments (or just wanting to hang out with some other pinball folks), I am hosting a tournament on Sunday at 2pm at Gestalt. The machines are operated by Rainbow but this may be your last chance to play on them there as there's likely a new awesome OP coming. Death saves are allowed! The Warriors game will be on too if you are a sports person.

Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/1579854782271783/

Oh and the winners of "B" and Overall win a pinball trading card (LE!)

3 weeks later
    #2961 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

I got the look today from my wife.
    The neighbor kid was over playing with my boys.
    He is here most every day.
    I asked the boys if their friend wanted to play pinball.
    They answered no, we are going to play on the wii.
    I asked the neighbor kid, are you feverish?
    My wife gave me the look.
    The neighbor kid made the I don't know face and went off to play wii.
    What's wrong with the youth of today?
    I would have given anything to have a pinball machine to play as a kid.

get off my lawn!

#2986 8 years ago
    Quoted from jpc211245:

Hi,
    I live in Elk Grove and am new to pinball. I would like to meet others who are pinball players to maybe learn some of the tricks of the trade. Do you all meet as a group or have any running meetings/tournaments? If you are willing to take a newby I'd be interested.
    As I said I am new and my skill level really reflects that but I try to play whenever I can. I have an ACDC that I have been playing for a few months.
    Thanks
    jpc2112

If you are coming closer to the OAK/SF side, check out http://www.hellaheartpinball.com for tourney info etc!

1 week later
    #3011 8 years ago

Randomly found this old video I shot when I was googling my pinball initials - some pinsiders and locals are interviewed (from 2013):
    https://vimeo.com/72465357

#3014 8 years ago

Word on the street is that gestalt in SF has the new KISS.

Yeah was just playing it a bunch the last few hours. Pretty damn fun I have to say - only got initials up once although EJW got to the mini-wizard mode. Lots of folks came from all over to check it out (as well as the packed house watching the basketball game)

TJ's will be at Hi-Life tomorrow he said so two on location out here

#3017 8 years ago

check http://www.hellaheartpinball.com - tomorrow and Wed both have tourneys in Oak and SF respectively

1 week later
    #3033 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Rats.
    Anyone know why KISS is already out of Gestalt?
    -mof
    http://pinballmap.com/bayarea/#

It's been there. Dropped in on my way back from the airport. Someone may have just de-listed it but it's still there.

#3037 8 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

Is that a membership place or can I just walk in? I think I know location.

It's just a venue - all ages - so all welcome!

1 week later
    #3086 8 years ago

Yeah the code update fixed the resets. Still some random bugs but it does play fun. Glad to hear you made it out for some location play mof! I'm prob gonna hit up Gestalt to be patriotic and play some Americana before the parties

1 month later
    #3219 8 years ago
    Quoted from Troutfarm:

got cold feet last time.. this time its for real. Not cheap, but I dare you to find a nicer one.
    sfbay.craigslist.org link
    10548280_10152320499163380_6980009175981908023_o.jpg

I have played this and it's definitely the nicest BSD I've seen!

2 weeks later
    #3275 8 years ago

Played both new codes today in SF & like the updates - gotta get Rainbow to up the ball save timer on the Gene mouth kickout since it's a bit short by default (but better than no ball save

TWD has a lot of neat stuff although I was playing solo so had no idea what was going on aside from different sounds and animations I caught from time to time...

2 weeks later
    #3341 8 years ago

Any NorCal folks open to host a tournament at your place? I always love playing at people's places to see what they've got etc. I know it's a lot to ask to open your home up to folks but let me know if any folks are open to it!

#3362 8 years ago

Just a reminder that the POP (Pinball Outreach Project) charity tournament is at Gestalt Haus on Wednesday in SF.

Support a great cause and you can start as early as 3pm. Details here: http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/view.php?id=10952 - if you need tips on Gestalt machines check out Pintips.net or ask me, LAW or EJW

1 month later
    #3489 8 years ago

Yes GoT launch party is at Noon on Sunday Nov 8th at Gestalt. TJ should have his on location by Thurs/Fri I would guess as well since both Rainbow (who operates at Gestalt) and TJ are getting theirs from Betson. Pinballmap.com will def update with the machines once they are on location 1.15 code will be on the launch party machine.

More details on launch and the tourney series is here: https://orangenex.wordpress.com/battle-for-the-iron-throne-pinball-series-2015/

2 weeks later
    #3521 8 years ago

What the hell high life pizza in Oakland! This is the second time I've gone after work to play pins to find it closed. Said online open at 11:30 but still closed at 2!

I'm bummed how that place seems to not be run that well. They have been improving though I hear as I hadn't been in a while but for a long stretch it seemed like it was getting worse and worse. I know the folks who operate and throw tourneys there are trying to get the actual business to step things up but sorry that happened. You can come play my AMH and Iron Man at my photography studio in SF if you like

1 week later
    #3573 8 years ago

NorCal represent! I'm in - gonna be super fun!

Quoted from jonnyo:Anybody going to Arcade Expo next month? I just booked my airbnb. Can't wait!!

1 week later
    #3591 8 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Watching movers move my 6 pins up a steep flight of stairs from a truck parked on a substantial hill into my flat made me think to myself "God, what a stupid fucking thing to own.". I thought the same thing when I was setting them up in one of the four rooms in the place. I also cringed at the thought of moving out.
    Just a little insight of where you'll be after you get your first game.

Barron you have six pins and live in the city? when is the party?!

#3611 8 years ago

Just a reminder about a few tournies I am running if anyone is up to play on location in the next 8-days! Tonight at Gestalt at 7pm and Sunday at 2 and then next Wed at 7pm again. Full details here:
    https://orangenex.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/winter-has-come/

And as always check out http://hellaheartpinball.com/ for all the latest on tournaments in the Bay Area!

#3653 8 years ago
    Quoted from usulnet:

Hi folks,
    I had a member reach out to me via pm and sold me a clean Stargate for a lot less than I saw on craigslist. He was a very pleasant gentleman like most pinsiders seem to be and allowed me to preview his pins and discussed restorations/repairs a bit with me. Anyhow I have pin number 1 under my belt now and am looking forward to enjoying many hours with it. Thanks so much for the advice and patience with a newbie and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year.
    Regards,
    Stephan

Shoot the Pyramid!

#3669 8 years ago

Anyone who is up to play today the last tournament of 2015 is tonight at Gestalt - am trying to see if we can get 1.18 up on the GoT. Beginner and kid friendly venue with food and drink https://orangenex.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/winter-has-come/

2 weeks later
    #3685 8 years ago

If anyone wants to play the latest GoT code - go to HiLife and check it out. last night we got midnight madness (so if you want that you know when to go). Let me know if you see anything weird via PM. Of course that means high scores are reset too so go get your initials up!

GotMM_(resized).jpgGotMM_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #3738 8 years ago

@mrgone - i wanted to ask you in person how many days it was til PAGG but didn't get to say hey

#3742 8 years ago

Not sure about this free Metallca machine but I have to work at the Super Bowl tmrw: sfbay.craigslist.org link

#3747 8 years ago

There's a new beginners focused league starting up tomorrow for a 5-week stint at Gestalt in San Francisco. I will be helping some since I play at Gestalt a ton but it's run by Jessi Reid who I don't think is on here. Here's the FB group with info and a pic of a flyer from: https://www.facebook.com/groups/814768791983231/

Anyone can come for the whole mini-season or just for a few sessions. $2 PBR tall boys and tomorrow 3 Monts and Rince Cochon will be tapped as a special.

12654320_10153848288405505_1160603809300588329_n_(resized).jpg12654320_10153848288405505_1160603809300588329_n_(resized).jpg

1 week later
    #3786 8 years ago

news about a beginner friendly league around the corner from my house: http://missionlocal.org/2016/02/mission-pinball-league-flips-for-friendly-competition

2 months later
    #3931 8 years ago

GB is at Free Gold Watch today is word on the street FYI. Gestalt said this week but I trust my FGW intel more

And launch party is on May 1st at FGW too

4 weeks later
    #3987 7 years ago

Ooh Twister is a fun game!

4 weeks later
    #4041 7 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I was just reminded that there is a 90% chance of the Big One hitting the Bay Area in the next 30 years. Are you guys doing anything particular in terms of protecting games? Anyone had direct experience with pinball machines in the 89 earthquake?

That's an interesting point - how'd everyone hold up and their pins? There was a big fire at the 3300 Club which has a nice Monster Bash. After I heard everyone was OK I was wondering how the machine fared...

1 month later
    #4111 7 years ago

@kratogen - there are two in SF - one at Buzzworks and one at Gestalt if you are up in SF ever... both are open pretty early and stay open late

2 months later
    #4215 7 years ago

the classroom upstairs where the seminars will be is nice. Good speakers who know their stuff too. Can't wait for my first PPE! Anyone else going to the Thurs 11/10 preview party?

2 months later
    #4312 7 years ago
    Quoted from kerokero:

I stopped by this bar in Belmont on the way home from league tonight. The RS is still there and plays "ok." Set to 5-ball, playfield is a little shallow, and someone put Rudy from FH in place of Red, but otherwise seems to play ok. Updated pinballmap info too.

Sounds like a Rainbow machine - think that one used to be at Blind Cat a while back...

3 weeks later
    #4353 7 years ago
    Quoted from Troutfarm:

Looking for an Alien Star. Played an awesome one at State Championships today and I am seriously hooked.

I can attest to this - and want him to get one so I can play it too

1 month later
    #4425 7 years ago

Dialed in is leaving next week (which starts Sunday I guess - not sure on the exact timing, but maybe call them up first). Aerosmith is also in Oakland - check Pinballmap.com which should have the most updated info. Coming soon to The Myriad too...

2 weeks later
    #4462 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZZZ_spy_hunter:

I'm looking for help, suggestions or recommendations for getting a pinball machine up a flight of stairs. I live in SF. Is there a person/service that I can call to help make this happen? Or is there a place that I can rent stair climbing dolly? Or other thoughts?
    Thanks

ZZZ_spy_hunter you could potentially hire TJ to do that. He's done it for others. PM for info if you haven't already done this...

1 month later
    #4507 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Talk with local hotrodder/car guys. They will know good shops, and are way more anal about how they come out than we are.

I used West Coast Powder Coat for my bicycle and they were great. S. SF though.

#4511 6 years ago

is that's the same California Amusements that has location machines that play terribly? Don't know if it is. So many good techs in the area like Chris Kuntz (Pinball Pirate), TJ Beyer and many others

5 months later
    #4710 6 years ago

Hey all just wanted to promote a fundraising event / tournament I am running along with Andrei Massenkoff coming up on Nov 4-5th here in San Francisco.

It's a 24-hour battle similar to what they do out at The Sanctum. Super fun and a test of endurance but for a great cause supporting the UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals in Oakland and San Francisco. Andrei is a teacher at the SF hospital and we've placed a Star Trek machine in the teen lounge there through Project Pinball so this will further help show how great pinball and the pinball community is.

Here's the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/147047279244227

It's IFPA sanctioned so will award WPPR points and we've got lots of cool prizes as well. If you'd like to just support the fundraiser without playing you can support my fundraising here: https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=279457

or Andrei's here: https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=279637&wait=1

IMG_7461 (resized).jpgIMG_7461 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #4718 6 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Who's got a TNA coming ? I'll bring beer.

I have it coming (#39 I think) it will be routed on location as well so you can play it once it arrives...

#4721 6 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

awesome. Please post here when it arrives. Where will it be?

Not sure yet, could be at Free Gold Watch

1 month later
    #4770 6 years ago

They'll be adding a lot more games over time. The pins require the most maintenance and the tech there is the one originally from Logan Arcade and any Chicago folks recall that when he left the quality initially fell but has caught back up to the high standards that James had for the pins before he moved out here to SF. I think maybe 13-14 pins in total when they are all there. I think some people have added them to pinballmap.com as well...

2 weeks later
    #4788 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Pinbot has gone to a new home.

New Zealand? or is he taking it somewhere else?

1 month later
    #4877 6 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Did someone here happen to get that free Torch that was sitting on a curb in San Francisco?

Yep Shon picked it up! (He's the OP with most of the machines at FGW, Brewcade, etc.)

6 months later
    #5083 5 years ago

can vouch for IdahoRealtor - great seller and guy!

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Selling my Marilyn Taxi. $2000
    It's currently at Phoenix Games. Need to make room for a new pin that's coming in.
    Cab is good. Backglass is good. Ramps are good. Plays very good. PF is the only weak spot. Has some touch-ups, worn insert decals, etc. Player's playfield.
    Has LEDs, spotlight kit, etc to brighten it up. Recently serviced by Tilt Electronics. New drop target board. Flippers rebuilt. Good rubbers. It's ready to enjoy.
    PM if interested. Happy to take pics for interested parties, or feel free to visit and play the pin on site. Location hours are 10-9 everyday. Might be closed on Labor Day.

2 months later
    #5167 5 years ago

I'm adding it back in to Selfie League to force people to play it more too (and I'm personally stoked to try it out since dark GI was one of the things that made it not as fun before!). For those who check it out if you'd like to participate here's the league page in MatchPlay - feel free to join in! https://matchplay.events/live/j9kx8

3 months later
    4 months later
    #5521 4 years ago

Just a note if you are interested we're having a tournament this Sunday at Gestalt is San Francisco - details on the tournament which is all ages at the FB event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2391923160901592/

Hope to see some new faces! Oh and ROD is a great guy so if you're interested in that TNA I'm happy to vouch for roddog too!

1 month later
    #5561 4 years ago

Sunday is a tourney at Outer Orbit (launch party for Wonka) and Monday is a tourney for fun at Gestalt if any folks wanna play some WW or JP...

1 year later
    #6244 3 years ago
    Quoted from silverbearss:

Does anyone know of a person who fixes or restores old EM games? I have an EM shooting gun game that needs fixing.

I think Pinball Pirate/Chris Kuntz can fix those too: https://www.pinballpirate.com/

3 weeks later
    #6322 3 years ago

FYI Free Gold Watch is open in the city! they said the city has approved and of course at reduced capacity etc.

1007201416 (resized).jpg1007201416 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #6397 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Given a game count of 200 games at perhaps 10 minutes per game

Damn you are a far better player than I am if you are playing 10-minutes per game on average

2 months later
    #6605 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Has anyone up here in the SF area recently found a powder coating shop that is open for small jobs? With COVID, it seems like a number of shops are closed or not taking on small jobs. I have some wire ramps that I am thinking of powder coating.

No idea if they do stuff like that but I got my bike frame and front fork powder coated at West Coast Powder Coating and it's not that big an item

Their info: 165 Mitchell Ave, South San Francisco, CA 94080
    Phone: (650) 871-0400

1 year later
    #7521 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Does anyone have for sale or know where the best place to buy lighted translite frames for some stern translites I have.

Stern sells them on their site i know as they've given them out as prizes to tournaments I've run in the past: https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/led-back-lit-translite-frame-lcd-game-display-style?_pos=1&_sid=b057a63d9&_ss=r

2 weeks later
    #7578 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

where in the City is this place located???

It's like two blocks from my place:
    https://strangerthings-experience.com/san-francisco/

there's a few bars with pins nearby too (Uptown has 1, Gestalt has 7 and Kilowatt has 2)

1 year later
    #8127 6 months ago

Think Miniboss is Andy Kuntz (aka Arcade Andy) but he may have pulled out of there and the bar itself may be running them but he was the operator for quite some time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genex.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread?tu=genex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.