(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

types-of-pfd-1_1000x (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg
    games (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240225_215100_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadenerd925.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1025 10 years ago

New to pins, just saying hi (got a TSPP for xmas), Live in the east "yay" area, I briefly browsed through this thread and saw a mention of setting up some sort of norcal site. if so lmk as I have access to a large amount of server space. however, I was thinking, it would be handy for this site to have geographically based subforums as an alternative as well (so your not having to hop around diff forums)

Im waiting for my pinballlife order to come (pinballs, rubber, cleaner, wax, etc) so I can do my first maint on the TSPP (as well as some LED samples from cointaker to replace some blown lamps and see which ones I like best) wish me luck.

#1044 10 years ago

Many thanks for all the welcome messages and invitations.

(to answer one question, im located in the dublin/livermore area)

Once the after-taste of all the holiday madness fades a bit and things settle down, I will definitely check things out.

1 week later
    #1117 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Well if anyone goes, post some prices! Curious to see

I'll drive up real fast and take a look, he is about 2 miles from my office.

#1118 10 years ago

here is what he had pin wise, when I asked about the retirement sale and "making an offer" he replied "well the price is listed on each item..." makes me wonder how willing he is to budge, but i assume if you rolled up in a truck with cash you could give it a shot..

funhouse - $4,200
    Fishtales - $2,800
    Airborne - $2,400
    Lethal Weapon 3 - $1,900
    Road Show - $3,200
    Sinbad - $1,400
    Eight Ball - $1,600

I visited this place once randomly a year or two ago and i swear I saw the same fishtales and other pins there, lol. I asked how long his sale was for and he said he didnt know, he was supposed to be out of there 3 months ago, and that he may be there longer, or he may pack it up this weekend and just "move everything to my own gameroom"

YMMV

IMG_20140117_131205_559.jpgIMG_20140117_131205_559.jpg
    IMG_20140117_131155_429.jpgIMG_20140117_131155_429.jpg
    IMG_20140117_131002_547.jpgIMG_20140117_131002_547.jpg
    IMG_20140117_130903_932.jpgIMG_20140117_130903_932.jpg
    IMG_20140117_130853_166.jpgIMG_20140117_130853_166.jpg
    IMG_20140117_130818_966.jpgIMG_20140117_130818_966.jpg
    IMG_20140117_130811_081.jpgIMG_20140117_130811_081.jpg

#1119 10 years ago

also, if its annoying to have the pics just showing let me know and i can edit post, didnt realize they just show up as links at the bottom too.

#1122 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Ty for taking the time to post this.
    -mof

NP, its Friday, i needed to get out of the office for a bit. heh.

#1125 10 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Seriously. That FH better have a brand new pf in it for that price.

I'd say they all looked pretty average, noticeable wear and tear from alot of use, but looked to be in working order at least. So yeah, seems pricey to say the least.

1 month later
    #1477 10 years ago

long shot... anyone know of anywhere local (or happen to have an extra sheet) of standard size invisiglass or PDI? (for my TSPP)

#1479 10 years ago

Livermore (guess i need to update my profile - Edit: updated)

2 weeks later
    #1529 10 years ago
    Quoted from Flamethrower:

Thanks so much to Sosage for putting it together, I had a fantastic time! Can't wait for the Rumble! Love the pictures, as usual, Gene! Thank you for sharing them.
    Also! I have two more upcoming events to invite all you Bay Area pinheads to.

This coming Tuesday at Hi-Life (400 15th Street in Oakland), we're going to be having a welcome party and casual tournament for the Wizard of Oz pinball machine that just arrived there yesterday. Tournament format will just be high score on the machine, $10 to enter, which gets you two attempts on the machine. Additional entries can be purchased for $2 each.
    More details here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-welcome-party-casual-tournament

Then, on Tuesday, April 15th, I'll be doing another tournament at Hi-Life. Start time is 7pm, $5 to enter, single game, double elimination, 1/4 WPPRs.
    More details here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oakland-ca-41514-tax-day-tournament-at-hi-life

woowelcomepartyeventimage-939.jp... 43 KB

taxdaytournamenttempimage-446.jp... 31 KB

Sweet!, really happy with my WOZ after getting it all dialed in.

#1536 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I have 2 (I think) playfield glass laying around if anyone is in need. These are not new, but they are not the worst I have ever seen. They have some scratches and such, so if you ever drop yours or are just missing one feel free to drop me a line and you can have one.

I was just about to say something similar. I have a sheet of PDI glass coming thursday which means i'll have extra sheet of regular glass from my TSPP if anyone wants it.

2 months later
    #1690 9 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Hey guys, new to the hobby, residing in San Jose, CA. Used to collect video games, got rid of all of them (except my Atari Star Wars (vector)), and am now finding myself slowly getting hooked on pinball after dropping money frequently in the Lord of the Rings pinball by my house, spending countless hours on Pinball Arcade software, and seeing how cool this community is on Pinside. I'm itching to buy my first pin, and moreover learn from you veterans. I was thinking BAPA might be the way to go, to meet some local pinheads. What do you guys think? I'm pretty much a novice, and would probably get my ass handed to me hanging with the pros in that group, but hey, gotta start somewhere to scratch this pinball itch of mine. lol Any other ideas of a good place to meet other likeminded pinball lovers in the South Bay? Cheers!

welcome, looks like you are going the same route as me. i started originally with some arcade games, then a mame machine, and finally got a few pins. wish i had room for more.

1 month later
    #1810 9 years ago

Thinking of getting my wife a megatouch for her birthday. It MUST have the adult game with the naked ladies where you have to spot the difference between two pictures. She played it all the time in her twenties. Let me know if anyone has one that they are thinking of selling.

if you can't find one easily, why not just grab the mame rom and make one with some spare PC parts, could be a fun project.

#1813 9 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Touchscreen, pc, smart strip = approx 5x the cost of a megatouch. Don't get me wrong - I'm a vid advocate. It would just be alot cheaper, authentic, easier to purchase one.

Good point, i forgot about the touch screen part. doh.

3 months later
    #2087 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I won't miss that guy. He used to spam CL for years will all his overpriced games. The same games would sit for years and he wouldn't drop the price.

I bet if i drop by there tomorrow he probably still has the exact same roadshow, fishtales, etc etc i saw about a year ago. I think he has set a record for how long you can have a "retirement going out of business sale"

3 weeks later
    #2223 9 years ago
    Quoted from BlobfishXL:

I have a MAME cabnet that I built from scratch as well. It's styled after Gauntlet.

not to stray too far beyond pinball, but +1 on the MAME setup, I am working on my second one right now (sold my first, renovated from a broken MK2 cab when i moved).

1 week later
    #2291 9 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Off Topic, im hoping someone from our community can help me locate a Double Dragon Arcade for my son for xmas. Any help would be much appreciated. Keep flipping
    Harley D.

If you cant find it, pick up a mame or jamma cab and emulate it. You run a high risk of it dying eventually (happened to my mk2 i picked up off CL years ago, gutted it and through a PC in it). PM me if you need help/links.

#2306 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

Its just so frustrating to be mislead like this. I spent precious time cleaning out gutters in preparation for this horrific storm, when I could have been working on pins.

I ended up getting stuck on damn 580 last night so i didnt get to clean the gutters as planned, guess I don't feel so bad now.

2 weeks later
    #2381 9 years ago

considering expanding my collection, i know alot of you guys closely watch CL... (aside from the FS threads here) what's the trick on finding pins on CL? (do they generally fall within a certain FS sub-category?)

normally i just search the whole damn FS section for "pinball machine" but wasnt sure if i was missing anything.

4 weeks later
    #2581 9 years ago

Question for the locals: how often do you swap out the pinballs in your machines?

When you see the beginnings of damage or they look worn?

At a certain interval depending on how often they get played?

Putting together a supplies order and was curious.

1 week later
    #2594 9 years ago

FYI, the dude with the overpriced pins on Mission Blvd in Hayward seems to have finally moved on. Traffic had me driving right by his shop the other day and finally saw it emptied.

#2624 9 years ago

Question about PPM, i've never been and considering going soon. My Daughter, who is almost two, loves to watch me play pinball @home. So my question is, how kid friendly is PPM? for those with kids old enough to play, do they have any kind of step stool or anything for a wee one to stand on?

Thnx and Cheers.

#2627 9 years ago

I am 99% sure they have stools there. Going on Thursday so I will keep an eye out and confirm. They are totally kid friendly.

Cool, if you could confirm I'd really appreciate it. I could also be un-lazy and call and ask. haha.

#2628 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

I have taken my kids (teens) as well as nieces and nephews and they all have fun. Good bathrooms and snack machines and places to sit. Good eateries within walking distance too. My youngest nephew was 4 years old at the time and he enjoyed it. But most kids (including teens) are bored about 2 hours in. So I try to do 1 to 2 hours of pinball and then a good meal and then another hour or two of pinball.

Appreciate the tips. thnx!

1 week later
    #2655 9 years ago
    Quoted from PWhiz:

Hey folks, I'm thinking I may soon be in the need of the services of someone more knowledgeable in pinball repair than myself. Looking for someone close to the East Bay area(Richmond) with reasonable rates and experience working on modern Sterns.
    Having an issue with my Star Trek Pro that I posted about here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-stern-star-trek-autolaunches-ball
    I *think* the problem may be located in the trough but can't be sure. A few times now when I've turned the game on, it instantly goes into ball search mode.
    I may just want to have someone come out though because I've had another weird issue with one of the LED flashers that may be go back to the main board. I've just been living with that one, but it would be nice to have it checked out.
    Thanks!

Something similar happened to my WOZ. it would halt mid game as if i drained (when i didnt), and it would sometimes autolaunch balls @ startup. One of my trough optos was not alligned, rather than dink around with it too much (and being a NIB game) i just had JJP send me new trough boards. I would just call stern's tech support first, it may be something really simple. and then go from there as needed.

3 months later
    #2952 8 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Looking for a nice White Water. Who's got one they are ready to sell ?

This was listed on good ole CL 8 days ago:

sfbay.craigslist.org link

6 months later
    #3632 8 years ago

Considering expanding my limited (2) collection, heh. Games I am interested in so far based on my last and only visit to PPM:

IJ (not IJ4)
    TZ
    Funhouse

Im sure the list will expand, but keeping an eye out in the usual places. if you have a line on any of the above let me know.

Cheers!

#3633 8 years ago

Ok, so im looking at a TZ from CL. It seems a bit high to me @ 5 grand (wear on PF where the habitrail drops on the left, no clock assy, at least one broken plastic that I can see (sign in front of right magna flipper on the upper PF)) but where do i post for suggestions on pricing? What to look at if I go check it out? here? TZ subforum? I am a newb to this to a degree (TSPP was a surprise present, WOZECLE i bought brand new)

Thoughts?

~(Livermore)Steve

#3647 8 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

High, especially if the entire clock assy is missing. Keep looking, 5 for a TZ will get you a nice complete game

Thanks for the sanity check! I appreciate the info.

3 weeks later
    #3697 8 years ago

Happy to say that I added TZ to my small collection over the weekend. Removing it solo from the SUV actually worked out fairly well (wife has a bad back, I put the front legs on, lowered it onto tri-casters, wheeled it out holding up the back and she slid a makeshift stand I made from 2x4's underneath so we could rest it and put the back legs on)

Many thanks to the person I bought it from and to the advise I got from fellow pinsiders.

~Livermore Steve

1 month later
    #3805 8 years ago

Not sure if this has been mentioned here or not, but just saw it myself:

http://pacificpinball.org/events/special-event-one-night-only-jersey-jack-new-hobbit-ppm

JJP will be at PPM with a hobbit for one evening only tomorrow night.

4 weeks later
    #3870 8 years ago

Does anyone have a good contact email addy for PPM? (other than the generic form on their website)

Had a question about my membership but would prefer to email VS call.

#3874 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Their generic form actually does reach Michael or Jeanie. Last time I used it, Michael responded in ~20 minutes. Lucky timing I'm sure but I know it works.

Thanks I will give it a try

3 months later
    #4075 7 years ago

Potentially in the market for an IJ or Funhouse. If anyone has any leads let me know.

1 week later
    #4090 7 years ago

Cheap (IMHO at least) TSPP for sale near dublin on CL in case anyone is on the hunt, no idea if it is legit or not:

#4092 7 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Price jumped from $3500 to $4500 this morning. No surprise there, I suppose.

Too good to be true i guess, haha.

1 month later
    #4134 7 years ago

Having some issues with my TZ, started a thread over here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-acting-funny-clock-spinning-ramp-hit-on-launch-etc

Any help appreciated. My first foray into troubleshooting this particular game and platform.

1 month later
    #4200 7 years ago

No details, so who knows how good that price is ($3,800 @ present). But if anyone local is in the hunt for a TSPP, check out good ole CL:

1 month later
    #4269 7 years ago

Looking for:

Funhouse (any condition)
    Indiana Jones: The pinball adventure (not looking for collector condition)
    Road Show

Cheers and happy new years.

#4275 7 years ago

Any road show's in the wild I could get some time on? preferably east bay if possible.

Have played it before but didnt get much time on it. Since it's on my short list for purchase figured I should play it some more.

#4281 7 years ago

Thanks for the RS tips, was planning to check out PPM this week any way and make use of my annual pass. dsuperbee, will PM you about checking out yours as well (appreciate the offer)

#4290 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sborel:

pinballmap.com Mine is at Wicked west pizza in west Sacramento, and it is a nice example. TAF is almost done, so RS might be leaving soon.

I see TAF looking good. Can you guestimate when you plan to switch the RS out? I might run up there in the next 48hrs.

Cheers!

#4292 7 years ago

LOL... I saw on pinballmap that "Chris’s New Harbor Bar" in bellmont supposedly has an RH.. (I work in Hayward, so this is just a hop over the San Matero Br for me) since I tend to take those listings with a grain of salt, i figured.. why not just call and ask?

So I just did, the lady that answered said that she "refuses to divulge that kind of information, just come and see for yourself if it's here"

WTF

#4295 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sborel:

couple of weeks for TAF, I assure you the pins that r there now are worth the drive. Coin op and Fanny Anns r close as well...that's over 20 pins combined.

Thanks! appreciate the follow up.

2 weeks later
    #4305 7 years ago

Picked up my FH yesterday afternoon. A big thanks to my fellow pinsiders who answered my litany of newbie questions on what to look out for, who to buy from, test and basic sanity checks. I owe you guys a few beers for sure.

I picked this up from quite possibly two of the most nicest/helpful pinsiders I have ever purchased from.

20170117_135137 (resized).jpg20170117_135137 (resized).jpg

#4307 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Come to PAGG and meet us all!!!

Yupp! I am planning to make the trek (not like its that long of one from Livermore) this year.

#4310 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

arcadenerd925; Congrats on the FH purchase! FH is the first game I ever bought back in 93?. I still have it.
    Maybe we can meet at PAGG.

Thnx! Will see ya there for sure

#4313 7 years ago
    Quoted from kerokero:

I stopped by this bar in Belmont on the way home from league tonight. The RS is still there and plays "ok." Set to 5-ball, playfield is a little shallow, and someone put Rudy from FH in place of Red, but otherwise seems to play ok. Updated pinballmap info too.

Thnx for the intel, appreciate it!

3 weeks later
    #4347 7 years ago

Crap, blew F101 on my recently acquired funhouse.

Changed out spring/coil linkage on left flipper, maybe i knocked something loose.

Problem is, I have no 2.5a SB fuse to replace it, I have a 3a.. argh.

Any particularly handy east bay places to pick up fuses?, not seeing much in stock at the handy dandy lowes/HD

Any help appreciated. I am in Livermore but willing to travel a lil to avoid having to wait for a shipment.

Cheers!

#4348 7 years ago

Doh! did not check that the new linkage engaged the EOS switch. Leaf switch needs adjustment

Apparently there is a radio shack still alive in livermore, will try there in the mornin. if anyone else has any local fuse source suggestions let me know. much appreciated.

#4351 7 years ago

Thanks guys, appreciate it! will try the Radio shack here first, then Frys next. and if all else fails, will hit you up scasey! appreciate the offer.

1 week later
    #4364 7 years ago

Played @ Pheonix games today (for the first time) and had a blast (dude working was super friendly, and fixed TWD when the ball kept getting stuck in one of the lanes @ the top).

Was really looking to play TWD and GB.

TWD: I really wanted to like it (since I dig the show) but it just wasnt my kind of game.

GB: Didn't think I would be into it, was pleasantly surprised, super fun. and the bonus was wifey liked it too. 50% of the time there was probably spent playing GB, heh.

Are there any recommended local companies to work with on buying new sterns?

#4367 7 years ago

sweet! will give them a ring.

I will def hit up pheonix again, I wanted to play the spiderman and ironman but ran out of quarters/bills

Also enjoyed getting a chance to play MB (never thought I would see one in the wild)

cheers

1 month later
    #4411 7 years ago

Anybody have any feedback on http://classicgamerooms.com for NIB pin purchases?

I would prefer to buy from JJ at game exchange but would like a backup option if he is unable to get what I need.

#4414 7 years ago
    Quoted from BobC:

I think regardless of the seller, they all ship direct from Stern to you. Use a credit card so you can charge the sale back if something goes wrong. Often issues can be resolved directly with stern. What is it you can't get?

GB premium. Want to give JJ a little more time then will go with plan B if needed.

#4416 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I have one in a box somewhere...if you still need one.
    Robert

Thanks for the offer! luckily I was able to find a radio shack that was still alive/open and grabbed some there. Lesson learned, when I pick up a new game, make sure I have fuses for it!

#4430 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

NIB Aerosmith coming to Phoenix Games in Concord. ETA 1-2 weeks.
    It will be replacing Rob Zombie, so come by soon if you've been meaning to play it.

Excellent! def plan to check it out.

#4437 7 years ago

Same here! I remember playing it at the arcade @lake tahoe. Its one of my fav's to play in my mame cab

#4445 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Where in Tahoe was that??

That big one under the casino, i think its harrah's? also the place I first played 720, hah. those were the days.

1 month later
    #4504 6 years ago
    Quoted from Leo13:

Hi guys,
    Do you know a good local shop in San Jose to powder coat legs, trim and hinges ?
    thanks,
    Leo.

I'd be curious to get recommendations on this as well.

#4509 6 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Valley Custom Powder Coating in Lathrop does nice work. Lathrop in the the Central Valley about 30 min. from Livermore.

Perfect. thanks!

#4510 6 years ago

Stern is going to be doing some warranty work on my GB and have asked me to contact "Ricci" from California Amusements. Anyone have experience or work with this person or company before? just curious to know if they are reputable, etc.

Thnx!

#4522 6 years ago
    Quoted from scasey:

I have dealt with him a couple of years ago, but only to purchase games from him. He runs a fairly big shop in the east bay. Nice guy. When I was in there they were re-decalling a Moster Bash because some idiot wrote all over it with a sharpie.
    Sean

Thnx! appreciate the feedback.

5 months later
    #4749 6 years ago
    Quoted from mann0mann:

A really good operator friend of mine just created a pinball lounge inside of a local pool hall (Chalk it Up) in Hawyard. There's a bar, food, pool (obviously) some vids and eight (8) pins are available to play right now. Hours are really good too, open to midnight during the week and till 2 a.m Fri-Sat-Sun. Just thought I'd share with the local crowd as another location to go play.
    Address is 22540 Foothill Blvd, Hayward, CA 94541

Thanks for posting! I work in Hayward so I will def check it out.

1 month later
    #4793 6 years ago

Going to attempt my first PF swap in the coming months (Funhouse). Long shot: Anyone happen to have a rotisserie they'd be willing to lend? (I'd buy one but I just dont see many swaps in my future)

#4797 6 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I can sell my rotisserie for $60 if someone's interested.

I'll take it. PM'ing

#4798 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Kerry, like arcade, I’m going to tackle my first which is a Whirlwind this year. When you get time would you mind posting a few pics of your rotisserie?

Vino, assuming your in norcal (and I can grab lb1's), when im done with my FH, your welcome to borrow (or buy, same price) it.

~Steve

#4800 6 years ago

Buddy of mine is looking for a pinbot, BOP (or both). Will consider any condition (from project, players to restored). Let me know. Preference is for norcal but willing to drive if condition and/or price is right.

Cheers!

#4803 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinostalgia:

Hope this helps orangecounty.craigslist.org link

Thanks for the link!

1 week later
    #4818 6 years ago

I've seen this game in person, it is in minty shape. Buy with confidence.

#4823 6 years ago
    Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Anyone have a Ghostbusters Premium they are interested in parting with?

Post that here as well:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-california-for-sale-club-and-wanted-too/page/125

5 months later
    #5034 5 years ago

Working on my first restore (FH) and figured I would first reach out locally to see if anyone happens to have any of the following to lend?

- WMS Warning backbox silkscreen
    - WMS patent lower cab silkscreen
    - Upholstery stapler (to do the ground braid, I assume your basic old school staple gun wont cut the mustard?)

Long shot but worth a try.

Cheers!

#5038 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I have the stapler in Lodi you can borrow

Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I don't have the silkscreens, but I might have a stapler that would work. I'm in San Ramon.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. will PM tomorrow with a few questions on what you have.

3 months later
    #5135 5 years ago
    Quoted from gaspumprob:

The cost to attend is only $20.00 for all three days. I am looking forward to playing whatever games show up. It will most likely be a smaller event but hopefully fun.

Per facebook, Jack/JJP & Pirates will be at PAGG again this year

3 weeks later
    #5176 5 years ago
    Quoted from imagamejunky:

This pinhead is only a 30 minute drive from Tracy and can bring beer.....

and I can ride along with him, lol.

4 months later
    #5365 5 years ago
    Quoted from drypaint:

If you find yourself looking for something to do this evening, come hang out at The Flipper Room for Pinball, Popcorn, and Moving Pictures. 7pm - 12am (we are still open our regular hours 12-7 for those that can't be out late, but the festivities begin after 7).
    We will be streaming movie titles from our pins throughout the gallery, projecting old films in the early solid state design room, popping free fresh movie popcorn, and plenty of suds and other refreshments for purchase. 30+ pins on coin play. No cover.
    Hope to see some friendly faces...
    Cheers!
    Mike
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wish i could have made this! (kids were sick) hoping you guys do this again another night.

2 weeks later
    #5373 5 years ago

Just posted in the CA for sale thread (apologies for spamming it here too): I'm in the market for a WH20 (any condition, from project, players to fully restored) PM me if you got one you're thinking of selling.

Cheers!

3 months later
    #5541 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Still exists. Still mine. Still has pins.
    The work is in CA.

Welcome back! (we met @Nick's house and probably at Jasons in Tracy)

Don't get another speeding ticket on the way in

~Steve

3 weeks later
    #5567 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I was wondering if anyone ever considered doing some local temporary trades and have some feedback or thoughts on it.
    No money, no hassle just exchanging a game for a game for 6 months to a year.
    I have 2 games, I have no intention on selling them but I wouldnt mind having something else to play for a while. Now I understand it can raise a ton of concerns, mostly regarding trusting someone for taking good care of it, but so far I would trust everyone Ive met through Pinside with my beloved games.

I've considered it, but only with someone I know very well. I definitely like the idea/spirit of it.

7 months later
    #5824 4 years ago

(apologies for the double post)

On the hunt for a TOM or TAF (from players to restored) PM me if you've got one your considering selling.

3 weeks later
    #5856 3 years ago

Wow, so bummed to hear this. TFR was/is such a great place. Thanks for everything you guys do! I hope you guys can bring it back in the future.

1 month later
    #5926 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Anyone here ever heard of or used California Amusements located in San Jose for repair work? Technician named Sam??

Stern sent them to handle my warranty GB cab swap. I thought they did an awesome job. Not sure which tech worked on it though. That's my only experience with them.

1 month later
    #6074 3 years ago
    Quoted from Viperbsd:

Cointaker has 2 sheets of standard size Invisaglass for $399 and the shipping was only $28 to Elk Grove, CA. I ordered 4 sheets of it and it looks amazing over the standard glass.
    https://cointaker.com/products/invisiglass-2-pack

Yup, I got this deal too. Well worth it imho

3 weeks later
    #6129 3 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

Honestly the biggest risk is fitment issues with your new ramps because a lot of repro ramps are made with thicker (more durable) plastic and don't fit exactly the same as a result. I've done several games and have never not been able to get them in though, and in the very worst case where you can't get them to fit, you can (at least temporarily) put your original ramps back in to get the game playing again, and figure out a plan from there. It's pretty low risk.

This. I have only done 3 swaps, but every one needed some form of minor dremeling to get the ramps to fit. You can do it, just take your time

#6143 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Seven hours later, I have swapped the ramps on my TOTAN! Worth the time! I also found 5 of the plastics were cracked so good thing I had a full set ready. I added a set of clear plastic protectors all around, swapped rubber all around, fixed back wood panel decal which was lifting, replaced a bunch of hard to access 44 bulbs including a few that had been broken years ago and the metal part just left in the socket, cleaned the playfield, swapped the Skill-Shot bracket and red switches (had an extra set), replaced both newton balls (both were completed thread stripped), and even change the genie spinning lamp disc to a purple one I had gotten from PPS last year (aligning it for perfect centered spin took some time).
    I think I earned my badge...

Nice! great work!

#6161 3 years ago

Any recommendations on playfield glass suppliers in the sf east bay for a piece of main playfield glass? Marco has the sheet for $89 and only seems to add $1 for shipping to an existing parts order.
    I hate to buy a big sheet of glass that needs to be shipped since I can already hear the pile of glass bits rattling around the box and sitting on my doorstep... but I will try that route unless I find a reasonable cost shop locally.

You could try pinball pirate in Benicia, I dont recall if he sells standard glass but might be worth a call and while your there, play some games.

4 months later
    #6484 3 years ago
    Quoted from TronGuy:

I am looking to "trade up" .
    I have a pretty nice The Machine Bride of Pinbot with a playfield swap (new) and new ramps. I also have a nice Black Hole .
    I would like to trade these 2 for a metallica, or star trek pro. I believe I have over $6000 worth of pinball here. Certainly anyone that cares to correct me or price police me, go ahead. It doesn't bother me. I prefer to be absolutely transparent. I also love High Speed, Austin Powers, possibly others.

I have an Austin powers I'm thinking of moving at some point, will pm.

Also, un-related: I have a buddy up in Auburn with a nice better than players (leds, pin stadiums) pinbot for 1,800 pm for details

1 month later
    #6604 3 years ago
    Quoted from Izzy24:

I got some car parts power coated recently in Livermore at Fusion Coatings. I had to call to setup an appointment.

Holy crap, yes! Mass bros has been closed to the public for a year over here. Happy to hear about an alternative option locally.

2 months later
    #6778 2 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Anyone local have a update from Pam at pinbits? Are they officially done?

I've been trying here and there to get ahold of Pam to see if they have any ToM ramp flaps and nada.. Which is sad, they made some really great items.

In the mean time, I am testing a waterjet cnc to do my flaps, so far so good!

4 months later
    #7044 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zee:

Who's the Fremont guy with the warehouse off Warm Springs? I helped a friend pick up his CFTBL there once.

Did he have some race cars in that warehouse? if so I bought a FH off him several years ago.

#7046 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zee:

I think so. He had a few of the more-popular Bally/Williams titles in there I guess he was selling off.

Yup that is him, super nice guys!

1 month later
    #7160 2 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

Kerry_Richard
    Kerry,
    Bringing up an older topic. I contacted MAAS and they are reopened for business. Their hours are from 6 AM to 2 PM and will take walk-ins.
    I am hoping to bring some parts to them for Powder Coating to see how they do things.
    Thanks for the hint sir!

Happy to hear this! thanks for posting.

2 months later
    #7328 2 years ago
    Quoted from MyParagon1979:

Just curious…..
    I’m looking for a second game.
    Two options locally that I’m considering are Diner and Earthshaker. Around $4,000.
    Any advice?

Both fun games. I would play both and see which one feels right. Other than that, the usual stuff applies: look at the boards in the back box, any noticeable hacks? corrosion? burnt out looking areas?.. When you play it, is there a credit dot (error) if so what is the error (could be something simple). Pull the glass and just take a good look around the playfield for wear spots, broken plastics, cracked ramps, etc (none deal breakers but factor that into the price your willing to pay). Have them lift up the playfield so you can peek underneath and look for anything problematic (anything unplugged, wires hanging, damage to the bottom of the cabinet, etc). if you're unsure about anything, ask a fellow pinhead or you could also post in the club thread for the game.

#7334 2 years ago
    Quoted from MyParagon1979:

All great advice,
    But I’m struggling to find places to try games.
    I go to the flipper room and phoenix games weekly, and I’m going to the pacific pinball museum this weekend. But it’s usually either newer, more expensive, or EM games on the floor. These kinda ‘mid level’ games are difficult to find locally to play.

Ask around, post and see if anyone has one they'd be willing to let you try. Also, don't forget about PPM in Alameda. You'll have more chances to check out more games as shows start popping up again (golden state pinball fest, etc)

EDIT: also, dont be afraid to ask the seller if you can come by and just check it out, play it, etc. take your time and bring the cash with ya, if it moves you you'll know it, if it doesnt, pass on it.

1 year later
    #7897 1 year ago

Is there any place in the East Bay (norcal) that does 3D printing at comparable pricing to the online guys? UPS store wanted $40 for a small part I can get printed and shipped online (CraftCLoud) to me for $12. I see some Maker places advertised locally, but those are mostly instruction based, and what I really want is a place to print 3D stuff when I want to try certains mods and designs.... STL files in hand.
    Any suggestions of places to look into?

I used to belong to this group in Livermore. Mainly so I could use their CNC router and Laser cutter: https://www.robotgarden.org/
    if you print enough, it may make sense to buy your own 3d printer, they have gotten so cheap lately. I bought this one for my kids but have made plenty of my own parts on it lately and it was super easy to use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZR467YR

#7903 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Which s/w do you use.
    Robert

Either autocad or fusion360 depending on what I am making, and then i just transfer the STL to the software that came with the printer for slicing.

#7912 1 year ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

I’m going to try and unload a Big Blue SF2 CE arcade machine and an Atari Toobin arcade machine again. These are OG not Arcade1up. If anyone is interested, PM me. I’m finally free all week to try again.

Ugh... Toobin!!! I wish i had the damn space for this!! Hang on to it for like 4 more months and then I will totally buy it, haha (JK, ugh)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadenerd925.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread?tu=arcadenerd925 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.