(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pixelcut-export-1713510013302 (resized).png
    Concord Open 2024~2 (resized).jpg
    types-of-pfd-1_1000x (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mrbill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1090 10 years ago

Did someone here grab the cheap BK out of lodi? I was going there, but was too late. I did get the sega star trek arcade..

#1093 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jabbles180:

I actually ended up picking it up. So far I need to rebuild the power driver board. Im getting funky readings for the 100v and the flipper voltage. Which is why I believe the displays arent working.
    The backglass is going to be ordered any day from mayfair.
    Even none working and missing a backglass I couldnt say no to 300 bucks. Plus its going to look great next to my bk2k.
    Added bonus, I need practice on SS and EM games. I keep getting stomped at league due to the fact im terrible at anything other than modern machines.

cool! It was a great deal at $300. I was going to do combine 2 BK's into 1 and sell th rest off the rest, but I really did not need it. Glad it went to a good home. I would not have diven to lodi to get the star trek, but since I was 6mi away, I said what the hell and picked it up.

5 months later
    #1816 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Usually, I'm away on fishing trips during the summer so I miss this show. This year, I can't even get away to fish. I have my own version of CA Extreme, I'm stuck down in San Luis Obispo dealing with my cousin's estate. Looks like my family has a lot of this type of weekend coming at us this year. My cousin made the TV show Hoarders look tame. There will be lots of dumpsters in my future. Unfortunately, my cousin didn't hoard any money.
    Steve

I was just were you were at last year. My aunt passed away in september and left a 4 bedroom house like that. unfortunately, it ALL had to be looked through. It seemed like she kept every paper from the 60's. The good thing was everything was somewhat organized and labeled(she was an executive secretary). The bad thing was she had the nasty habit of paying bills in person and in cash and stuffing the change in the envelope. So there was like a 1 in 25 chance a pge, water, phone, cable, ect bill had anywhere from $1- $5 in it. so that took me about 3 months to get through it all.

The good news was it added up to a nice sum. The bank thought it was odd my turning in a bunch of $1's, $5's and $10's from the 60's and 70's.

The other bad habit she had was she loved late night tv.. Just about every late night product was in there.. So I have sham wow, slap chop, green teflon cookware, ginsu knives, juicers, magic bullet, body by jake, thighmaster, ect.. then add in a bunch of qvc and hsn products and jewelery.. I kept my local goodwill busy..

#1818 9 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

That green teflon cookware is pretty nice actually.

I remember the late night ads for green teflon. But reading online reviews says it does not work. I kept that and will have to give it a try.. The other day I saw a girl walking out of costco with a magic bullet. So I guess its still a current thing.

1 week later
    #1830 9 years ago
    Quoted from Troutfarm:

Who just snagged that earthshaker away from me?

I spoke to them last night and the display was dead and they never changed batteries in it(he said he had it for a long time). He said it was working. I should have tried to grab it last night, but then I started thinking why do I want an earthshaker when I have no room? It did look pretty good from 1 side and it was mylared. I think I was first call and was supposed to go see it this morning, but they emailed me that someone offered more and at that point it was a pass for me.

As for the PF, I would think it was real. But I figured someone up in SF would grab it. I am sure you will see a CL posting by next week..

7 months later
    #2721 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Or anywhere in the Bay Area for that matter?

my buddy andrew just told me he had his Theatre of magic legs powder coated gold at some shop I think in turlock. I can ask him for the name.

#2735 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

For anyone that goes to this please post the prices everything actually sells for. I feel like they under priced everything on purpose to draw a crowd and start a bid war

I was told pirates went $3050, simpsons $3500+, and Spider-Man $3800+ Plus tax. I hear that the pins looked hammered..

5 months later
    #3185 8 years ago

I was a little late as I got a reply it was gone..

I added a shopped out road show and a project tommy pinball this week.. Have not played tommy much, so I want to fix it to see if its a keeper or not.

My question is was the MMLE for $7k a joke?

6 months later
    #3751 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Regarding that $700 T2 on SF Bay Area Craigslist, it's real. I looked at it last night and passed on it. I'm just too busy right now to give it the TLC it needs. Great buy for someone looking to get their hands dirty. The end result will be a decent player's condition pin. Seller seems to be a nice guy who could use the money.

Just got back home with t2. Its really dirty, GI is out, 2 bad switches, 2 broken plastics, but otherwise it decent. Its a 220v machine, but at least it has the right coin door. I will add some pics in a bit.

going to tke me a bit to clean it and fix it up. I have to make room for tommy, ac/dc, and metallica first. Its been a busy month..

front_(resized).jpgfront_(resized).jpg
    head_(resized).jpghead_(resized).jpg
    bottom_(resized).jpgbottom_(resized).jpg
    middle_(resized).jpgmiddle_(resized).jpg
    side1_(resized).jpgside1_(resized).jpg
    side2_(resized).jpgside2_(resized).jpg
    top_(resized).jpgtop_(resized).jpg
    playfield_(resized).jpgplayfield_(resized).jpg

#3757 8 years ago

brought tommy home today. its now working 100%. Now that I have ac/dc and metallica, I don't see a great need to keep tommy. So I am going to play it a bunch this weekend and decide its fate. If I do decide to pass tommy along, I would consider trading it for a super clean examples of T2(a friend wants the one I just got), tales of the arabian nights, addams family, guns n roses, elvira and the party monsters, or monster bash (obviously +- cash).

glass_(resized).jpgglass_(resized).jpg

bottom_(resized).jpgbottom_(resized).jpg

middle_(resized).jpgmiddle_(resized).jpg

playfield_(resized).jpgplayfield_(resized).jpg

side2_(resized).jpgside2_(resized).jpg

top_(resized).jpgtop_(resized).jpg

front_(resized).jpgfront_(resized).jpg

side1_(resized).jpgside1_(resized).jpg

1 year later
    #4624 6 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

WTB: Need for Speed Underground (sit down model) Arcade

operator buddy of mine has a pair of sitdowns in san jose. I will give you his contact number if your interested. I have never played it, but just about every driver is better linked. So if your long term is have multiple drivers, getting 2 linked is more fun than 2 different (unless you have no friends).

1 year later
    #5226 5 years ago

Update: my buddy finally got his addams family and scared stiff pins ready. I updated listings with better pics. If you want to setup a time to see them, pm me and I will pass along my buddys cell and you can setup a time to see them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-addams-family-the-61#post-4723110

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-scared-stiff-39

1 month later
    #5295 5 years ago

my buddy wants to sell his DE hook in SJ. I will add pics later.

Another friend contacted me 2 weeks ago and wants to sell a black knight, fireball, and a flash. He was working on restoring bk and flash(bought repro glass for them), but does not have the time to finish them. The fireball is more of a project. He was waiting for the BK board to come back from repair.

Added over 5 years ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hook-24

2 weeks later
    #5320 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mrbill:

my buddy wants to sell his DE hook in SJ. I will add pics later.
    Another friend contacted me 2 weeks ago and wants to sell a black knight, fireball, and a flash. He was working on restoring bk and flash(bought repro glass for them), but does not have the time to finish them. The fireball is more of a project. He was waiting for the BK board to come back from repair.

Added 12 days ago: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hook-24

updated the pics of the hook pin. It has cliffy protectors and led dot matrix.

5 months later
    #5559 4 years ago

Jp is going into levelup today.

10 months later
    #5941 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Anyone here ever heard of or used California Amusements located in San Jose for repair work? Technician named Sam??

I have known sam for 35+ years. when I started collecting he had a storefront in san jose by the airport. Back then, they went by interstate amusements(occasionally I see some service tags in old games I bought or fixed). He is an excellent repair tech. he can fix anything from the 70's to current (pins and vids). I just called him yesterday to see how he was doing. A op wanted me to fix his ms pacs, and I did not want to go to his laundromat to fix them. I was going to see if same wanted to do the job as I am too high risk for covid. He did not want to go there either! So operator brought them to my home.

#5942 3 years ago

a friend of mine in tracy area is looking for a first pin. He is thinking taxi or t2. I told him to stick to bally or williams. (he wanted a street fighter but I say no to gottlieb). So if you have something popping up, I can pass you his contact info.

#5944 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Why would you say no when it's his choice? Those Gottliebs are freakin tanks. They (in my experience) break far less than any Williams or Bally game.

because he has zero repair skills. I have worked on a few gottliebs in the past and I have zero desire to work on them in the future. he is free to do what he wants. the other pin he was asking about is waterworld. I will not encourage him to buy two pins that will be anchors if he ever decides to sell. at least with taxi and t2, there is interest in them.

#5949 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Those are good points Bill. But Bally Williams games have reached an age where they tend to involve regular repairs (and additional expense) as well. By the time I'm happy with the state of my 90's games, I could have afforded newer reliable (used) games from Chicago Pinball or even Stern... I love many of the 90's games but just wanted to throw that out there for a newbie who is more interested in playing than fixing.

I would agree, but then he would getting into the 4k+ range. I would think he is more in the 2k or 3k max range. My operator buddy loved t2's. he said they never broke on route. I could probably sell him my above average t2, but then I would be in the market for a really nice t2 replacement.

2 weeks later
    #6011 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I guess things have changed in 10 years.
    Called California Amusements early June to come service my Firepower II. Sam Underwood (technician or owner, not sure which) came out and poked around and eventually removed the MPU and Driver boards to take to his shop for repair. Charged $100 for the service call (which I paid cash) and off he went with my circuit boards. Been over a month and haven't seen him since. A few times I have called to ask for an update and he tells me he's still working on them. It's been over a month now, and I have left messages last few days that I want to come pick up my unrepaired boards, but he doesn't return my phone calls.
    I thought keeping my business local would be a good thing. Not so in this case. What would you do now?

sorry to hear you had a problem. sam is a very honest and competent repair guy. He would not take someones boards. I will call him and ask what happened. good luck with the repair. Hope it works out for you.

I bought my defender pin off him many years ago. I sold him my IJ pin that I owned for about 2 hours...

#6062 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Yes, call him and ask what happened. I'd be interested to hear what his excuse is/was....sort of. In a way, I don't care. I'd never use him again. I didn't want to stand at his door and have any discussion about what was going on and why he didn't return any of my phone calls. I was a little nervous to go there in the first place, and wanted to get out as soon as I got my boards back in my hands.
    Maybe the first red flag was when I initially called for a service request. I left my phone message on his answering machine several times over several days before he ever returned my calls. I was about to send my boards off in the mail to one of several service guys recommended here on Pinside, but found California Amusements to be local to me here in San Jose, and according to their website, looked to be competent. And I figured I would be saving the shipping costs that I would otherwise need to pay for service out of state.
    After several days of me leaving phone messages he did return my call then came to do the service call on Friday, June 5. As he was leaving with my boards (the MPU and Driver board), and $100 cash, he said he would work on them on the weekend. I expected to get a call on Monday saying they were repaired.
    I didn't hear from him after the weekend, so mid week I called leaving a message asking for a repair status. I left several more calls over several more days leaving messages asking for a repair status. He eventually returned my calls, much to my relief, saying he was swamped with commercial jobs but he was working a little on my job too. Just the fact that he finally returned a call led me to believe I wasn't getting ripped off, but the expectation I had based on what he said when he left my home on June 5 was he would have them turned around in a couple days.
    After a few more weeks I started calling again, leaving messages asking for a repair status. Several calls over several days and no returned calls. Finally, I got a return call and he stated he had worked on the boards, got the dead board to power up, but still wasn't fixed and wasn't sure what the problem was. I guess about a week later I started calling and leaving messages that I wanted my unrepaired boards back, and I would come get them. No return calls. Again, I am feeling sick to my stomach that this was all a scam and I was ripped off. He had my money and my boards, for a month, and wasn't returning anymore phone calls.
    I think I left 3 phone call messages in the week preceding me knocking on his door asking for my boards back. By this time it had been over a month. Not really knowing who this guy was and what his real intentions were, I was afraid to go knock on his door. So it worked out I guess. I'm out $100 but at least I got my boards back. They ship out today Fedex to Chris Hibler. Everything I have read about Chris is good.
    One final note: From what I have learned doing some research, if you have the test ROM's you can easily diagnose the Williams MPU board problems. Sounds simple enough. I could attempt that, but don't want to start desoldering chips on the board. Leaving that to the experts. I'm guessing Sam doesn't have the proper test ROM's, test equipment, or knowledge. I don't think he's that busy, just unqualified to do these boards as advertised. Honest? Can't say. Grade for returning phone calls? "F"

spoke to sam, he said you swapped the cabinet backbox connectors on a system 7 game.. I hear thats really bad. Thats why I label any connector I pull. He said he replaced about 1/2 half the soldered in chips and got to show some signs of life, but it still was not booting up. He is just really busy and your repair was not an easy task and track down issue. I dont think any repair roms would help you fix that mistake. I would have just gone with a replacement board/boards. you probably have more issues in the pin with that mistake. good luck.

I would think about these, but first find out what else might be damaged on your pin. My joust pin had a gremlin in its boards that it far easier just to replace them. I think my buddy scott used these guys.
    http://pinballpcb.com/products/williams-system-3-thru-7-driver-board/

1 month later
    #6234 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

How often do "clunker" 90's era Williams/Bally machines come up for sale? Looking for one to restore, primarily one of the more sought after machines. It feels like they have almost all been restored by now.

I have a clunker attack from mars in my garage. but I am pulling it out for a friend(I bought afmr le). Last thing done to it was putting in bill ung’s kit into it. But that clunker is worth quite a bit.

I might consider selling my tommy pin too.

A friend of mine is Going to be selling a black knight soon.

7 months later
    #6837 2 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

CA Extreme feels a little unlikely... but I haven’t heard anything. A big show like that in a couple months in the middle of Santa Clara tho...
    PAGG is just small enough, out of the way enough, and late enough in the year that I can be cautiously optimistic.

it all comes down to what if any restrictions are in place mid july. ucsf is predicting herd immunity for california by june 15th. If things stay good and restrictions get removed, the show will probably happen. If its limited attendance and social distancing, then not. I am sure an announcement will probably come soon. Santa clara is currently orange tier. Southern cal and sf are just going yellow tier. If you plan to attend, I suggest you get your shot now and be ready for the show!

#6844 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

With about 10 weeks left till cal Extreme....
    Seems a bit hard to pull it off at this point.
    Is the Hyatt Regency even booked?
    New California guidelines on June 15th.

the venue, room block, and date are reserved. the hotel wants to see the show go off so they can get paid. the rules for gathering set by santa clara will be the deciding factor.

1 month later
    #6885 2 years ago
    Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Devin is awesome. He did a ground up restoration of both my Cftbl and my Fg(bally). Both with playfield swaps and cabinet restores. Creech got the original playfield restored and cleared by Kruzman with cab restore and decals by Devin. Flash Gordon got a new cpr playfield and the cab got restored and painted by Devin. Both machines are the nicest you will likely ever see. Stop by my place by appointment if you ever want to check them out. Some of you on here already have. He has also installed some troublesome mods for me including the walking Stay Puft for Ghostbusters and tail light mod on creech.

the lcd mod to replace the hologram is excellent! I have the mike d one in my creature. looks like someone else has done one..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/58

3 months later
    #7051 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zee:

For CAX they will also accept recent negative covid tests in lieu of a vax record. Has to be within 72 hours of the event day. This hassle will keep a lot of people away.
    The masking requirement will keep a lot of people away as well. Who wants to spend all day trying to play games with a mask on?

Its not meant as a hassle, its a requirement to put on the show in santa clara county.

If its too much of a hassle for you, then dont go. No one will miss you.. I don't see how a mask will effect your ability to play a game. I could see if your playing ddr or propcycle, then you might have a point.

#7068 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zee:

Not a hassle for me for playing, but it has kept me from bringing any games this year. I'm not doing load-in/load-out while masked!

I dont think mask would be required for load in and out. There is a limit to the number of people and sq ft before its mandatory. I would ask johnathan on that as he probably is the decider on that. I plan to take maybe 6-8 games to the show(normally I take 12-15), but I doubt I will be attending. If mask is required inside, Then I will make the show staff, come out to pick them up. I normally take crazy climber, star castle, solar quest, gimme a break, vapor trx, rush 2049, and spy hunter(but I recently sold SH, rush, and vapor). this year I probably take a punch out and joust.

Added over 3 years ago:

just spoke to ken today and yes, you will need to wear mask at load in and out. so plan accordingly.

#7069 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Masks mostly bother me if I need to wear my glasses. Fogging them up is a nuisance.

if your fogging you glasses, your mask is not fitted correctly. I use a kn95 mask and the only time my glasses fog is when I go to costco business and leave the freezer area. The warmth of the breath on the mask makes it fog. not air passing up to the glasses.

Buying a quality mask is about a $.40 or less now. Stop using junk masks. a good mask will have a metal strip to seal around your nose.

3 weeks later
    #7103 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Would love to know what's happening at Cax.
    Crowd size, number of games, pics.
    Please let us know.
    Working or I'd be there.

I was there last night dropping off games. there was a nice line of new pins. I got to play most of them before the power was put down. They were still filling in the upstairs. I would say game total is about 60%-70% of pre pandemic. I dont plan to go back until I have to pickup my games or unless one of my games has a problem. I did put a price on the joust and the gimme a break at the show.

5 months later
    #7469 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

anyone have a Sea Wolf Arcade game local ?

I have 2 cabs. A friend of mine is working on them. I told him to get mine going and then I will sell off the spare. He is fixing it for me as a favor and is way too busy to take on the time and effort to fix the 2nd one. He probably knows what needs to be done to it to make it work. Mine is working and he was sorting out the monitor last I spoke to him.

1 year later
    #7941 11 months ago

not pin related, but might interest some arcade collectors...

I recently purchased a complete konami track and field trophy kit. It was a total of 5 trophy's. 1 monthly winner and 4 weekly winners. I don't need to keep all of them, so I am going to offer up 3 (One is on hold) of the weekly winner trophies and the contest cards. Each trophy will come with the weekly winner control card and 4 daily control cards.

The kit also came with a 22x34 contest poster. I plan to scan the poster and make the image available. I was going to ask $80 plus shipping for each trophy. currently someone is selling one for $150 on ebay! if you would like to get one, let me know asap. If you want to avoid shipping, I plan on going to golden state pinball may 20th or you could grab it at cax on august 19th.

here are pics. It was interesting opening the original box. the trophies were rapped in 1983 newspaper. The right stuff and deal of the century were in the theaters.

track and field trophies (resized).jpgtrack and field trophies (resized).jpg

track&field poster (resized).jpgtrack&field poster (resized).jpg

track&field set (resized).jpgtrack&field set (resized).jpg

track and field cards (resized).jpgtrack and field cards (resized).jpg

#7944 11 months ago
    Quoted from TronGuy:

You'll never regret keeping that set together, but pieceing it out.........
    pretty cool

I just feel guilty keeping it all. All I wanted was 1 trophy. I Did not even know about the poster or there being a winners trophy. But I had to have them once I knew about it.

I have sold 3 of the weekly trophies. So I have 1 weekly trophy left for sale.

Jonathan suggested I use it for a cax contest prize, but I barely have a boardset. To have a contest, you probably need to find 2 or 3 t&f machines plus someone motivated to do the contest.

2 months later
    #8031 8 months ago

I got a call today from someone in san carlos, ca looking to get his high speed pinball serviced. he says display 1 is out. But he has not had the pin serviced in years.. So it probably needs a bit of work (new rubbers, new pinballs, major cleaning).

if anyone has a local recommendation or wants to do the job, send me a pm and I will pass along the contact info.

2 months later
    #8124 6 months ago
    Quoted from gnocchi_pesto:

Yeah their pins are always dirty, but they're the only spot in the area where you can play newer machines. They keep rotating their sterns with new releases.
    Miniboss is a more trendy place with bigger space and more machines.
    But most of their machines are setup bad and maintained badly. They probably have pitch of 5 degree, so floaty. Some are not even level left to right. The machines are equally dirty, but it helps that the lighting is dark there.
    Such a shame because they have all the top 90s machines. Their collection has never been updated since they opened, so nothing newer than TMNT.
    I have a feeling they are not run by a pinhead and they are mostly frequented by casual players. It's a good place to play arcades and hangout. The good thing is that it's easy to get a highscore on the machines and they have freeplay Thursday.

level up was an account ken and tj had so they took care of the games as they are pin guys. I dont know who has the games as miniboss.. I can find out. sad to have nice stuff and its not setup right or maintained correctly.

if you up near concord, phoenix games and their new spot has nice games. chris cares about his stuff.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mrbill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread?tu=Mrbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.