(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pixelcut-export-1713510013302 (resized).png
    Concord Open 2024~2 (resized).jpg
    types-of-pfd-1_1000x (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5601 4 years ago

Looking for a "better than broken" backglass for NIGHT RIDER (SS).

7 months later
    #5840 4 years ago

PMHUO
    Pretty Much Home Use Only

1 month later
    #5924 3 years ago

Anyone here ever heard of or used California Amusements located in San Jose for repair work? Technician named Sam??

1 month later
    #5995 3 years ago
    Quoted from CashMoney:

Looks like the prototype Firepower is back up again...

What a jerk the seller is. I responded to his CL ad and asked for pics (there is only one on the CL site). He sent a link to pics. Three hours later he sends me an email and asks "Did you get the pics, or were you just trolling me?"

That didn't even deserve a response. What a red flag. A seller to stay away from.

#5996 3 years ago
    Quoted from nvu4prod:

It's been a long time since Sam serviced my Earthshaker, I'm thinking 10 years ago or so. Great tech and a nice guy too! Glad to hear he's still around!

I guess things have changed in 10 years.

Called California Amusements early June to come service my Firepower II. Sam Underwood (technician or owner, not sure which) came out and poked around and eventually removed the MPU and Driver boards to take to his shop for repair. Charged $100 for the service call (which I paid cash) and off he went with my circuit boards. Been over a month and haven't seen him since. A few times I have called to ask for an update and he tells me he's still working on them. It's been over a month now, and I have left messages last few days that I want to come pick up my unrepaired boards, but he doesn't return my phone calls.

I thought keeping my business local would be a good thing. Not so in this case. What would you do now?

#6002 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

I'd be knocking on his door.

That's exactly what I did this morning. Found his home address and drove out there....with the camera rolling I knocked on his door. Wasn't sure what to expect. He wasn't expecting me. Told him I came for my circuit boards. He said yeah, ok and went and got them. That simple. Can't tell you how relieved I feel to get two non-working boards back!

The guy is nice enough, but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. He had my boards over a month and didn't fix them. And he wouldn't even return my phone calls. No excuses. No apologies.

In the future I will be using the repair guys recommended on this site who are proven successful and timely.

#6006 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

sheesh. had he done anything? was he waiting on something to come in?

He said he replaced a lot of chips but wasn't sure what else it needed. He didn't say he was waiting on anything.

#6012 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mrbill:

sorry to hear you had a problem. sam is a very honest and competent repair guy. He would not take someones boards. I will call him and ask what happened. good luck with the repair. Hope it works out for you.

Yes, call him and ask what happened. I'd be interested to hear what his excuse is/was....sort of. In a way, I don't care. I'd never use him again. I didn't want to stand at his door and have any discussion about what was going on and why he didn't return any of my phone calls. I was a little nervous to go there in the first place, and wanted to get out as soon as I got my boards back in my hands.

Maybe the first red flag was when I initially called for a service request. I left my phone message on his answering machine several times over several days before he ever returned my calls. I was about to send my boards off in the mail to one of several service guys recommended here on Pinside, but found California Amusements to be local to me here in San Jose, and according to their website, looked to be competent. And I figured I would be saving the shipping costs that I would otherwise need to pay for service out of state.

After several days of me leaving phone messages he did return my call then came to do the service call on Friday, June 5. As he was leaving with my boards (the MPU and Driver board), and $100 cash, he said he would work on them on the weekend. I expected to get a call on Monday saying they were repaired.

I didn't hear from him after the weekend, so mid week I called leaving a message asking for a repair status. I left several more calls over several more days leaving messages asking for a repair status. He eventually returned my calls, much to my relief, saying he was swamped with commercial jobs but he was working a little on my job too. Just the fact that he finally returned a call led me to believe I wasn't getting ripped off, but the expectation I had based on what he said when he left my home on June 5 was he would have them turned around in a couple days.

After a few more weeks I started calling again, leaving messages asking for a repair status. Several calls over several days and no returned calls. Finally, I got a return call and he stated he had worked on the boards, got the dead board to power up, but still wasn't fixed and wasn't sure what the problem was. I guess about a week later I started calling and leaving messages that I wanted my unrepaired boards back, and I would come get them. No return calls. Again, I am feeling sick to my stomach that this was all a scam and I was ripped off. He had my money and my boards, for a month, and wasn't returning anymore phone calls.

I think I left 3 phone call messages in the week preceding me knocking on his door asking for my boards back. By this time it had been over a month. Not really knowing who this guy was and what his real intentions were, I was afraid to go knock on his door. So it worked out I guess. I'm out $100 but at least I got my boards back. They ship out today Fedex to Chris Hibler. Everything I have read about Chris is good.

One final note: From what I have learned doing some research, if you have the test ROM's you can easily diagnose the Williams MPU board problems. Sounds simple enough. I could attempt that, but don't want to start desoldering chips on the board. Leaving that to the experts. I'm guessing Sam doesn't have the proper test ROM's, test equipment, or knowledge. I don't think he's that busy, just unqualified to do these boards as advertised. Honest? Can't say. Grade for returning phone calls? "F"

#6014 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Get a Hakko desoldering gun .

Agree with you, it's all about having the right tools. But in this case, it's more than just a desoldering gun, and in fact, I do already own a desoldering gun!

I've done a few board repairs to my own games, early Bally and Gottlieb SS. I've found lots of help here on Pinside for that and found it immensely satisfying to DIY. But with this System 7 board, after some basic troubleshooting, it was evident that advanced skills and additional tools were necessary. I would need a better logic probe, perhaps an oscilloscope, and maybe even a ROM burner, and for sure some test ROM/ROMs.

I was skeptical I'd find the tech support I needed, found the test ROM instructions incomplete or lacking explanations for a newbie, and I guess doubted in the end it would be cost effective for me to DIY. This time I'm leaving it to the expert, albeit he's half way across the country. Just looking forward to getting my game up and running again.

#6028 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

I think the following tells you all you need to know about this guy:

I think this is more telling...go read the reviews for "Mallory". Nobody likes this guy!!!
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 6.37.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-15 at 6.37.23 PM (resized).png

#6067 3 years ago
    Quoted from CashMoney:

Lowering the price down to $200, someone come and buy it!

I'll take it.

#6094 3 years ago
    Quoted from PDI:

Shipping to CA ( West Coast ) / Central USA is usually right at $95 for one sheet these daze ( $10 Increase ).
    Adding another sheet to the box is only $10 - $15 more per box.
    Due to product cost increase, we are just not able to eat into the profit margin at all that we have distributing it - unlike other products out there that just cost MUCH less to produce.
    FedEx usually charges us around $65, then we have $20 materials ( anyone who has ever received this can easily see that of how well it is packaged ) and the labor as it takes 2 x people 20 min. to box each box is $10. So that would be again $95....and it is much cheaper to order in even numbers to help reduce total "drive out" sheet price. East Coast boxes are $10 less.
    Also - new shipment is scheduled to arrive here this week....so will be on the website soon. =)
    BEST.
    Joey Lipovsky
    Pinball Decals, Inc.
    www.Pinballdecals.com

I asked PDI the best way to ship a backglass, and all I got was a sarcastic reply. "very carefully".
    Thanks for the advice, Joey.

#6097 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

If he told you exactly how to ship it and it was broken in transit your post would be something like ..... Joey at PDI told me how to ship a backglass and it was broken upon arrival ... he know's nothing"!

Really? How do you know what my next post would be???

As a matter of fact, I find Pinside to be a wealth of information, and mostly PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE. Such is your advice that Steve at BGResto could help me. Thank you.

I found it repulsive when I asked PDI a question and got a sarcastic response. All Joey had to do was provide a disclaimer like...."We pack back glasses this way, or that way, but that doesn't guarantee yours will survive shipping"....or "ship at your own risk" or something like that. But regardless, I'm not going to blame someone else for damage to a backglass that I pack myself. I was just looking for best practices. Guess he didn't want to help a fellow Pinsider.

Quoted from meSz:

anyone running a business has to be reluctant on giving advice

Totally disagree. That's all some businesses do....offer advice. For example, Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors. If they were reluctant to offer their advice then they would be out of business.

#6106 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

THE REALLY BAD NEWS: How do I separate the top from the bottom? Wait, I know how! You cut all the wires and it comes apart!
    Yeah, the harness is cut from the cabinet and the playfield. Your work is cut out for you.

I bought a project like that once!

IMG_2232 (resized).jpegIMG_2232 (resized).jpeg
    #6109 3 years ago
    Quoted from drypaint:

Thats gnarly!

Work in progress and all done pics. I guess I'll take the Playboy!
    76100E5A-D989-48AD-A5F1-7629AAE975CC (resized).jpeg76100E5A-D989-48AD-A5F1-7629AAE975CC (resized).jpeg7D66E681-32E6-4984-BBBA-21C992D6C3E3 (resized).jpeg7D66E681-32E6-4984-BBBA-21C992D6C3E3 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
    #6151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Any recommendations on playfield glass suppliers in the sf east bay for a piece of main playfield glass? Marco has the sheet for $89 and only seems to add $1 for shipping to an existing parts order.

try local craigslist....
    sfbay.craigslist.org link

#6171 3 years ago

Anyone in this neck of the woods have a Centigrade 37 backglass to sell?

#6176 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

I have a BG Resto hanging on my wall. Not as good as a screened or original but if ya need it.

PM Sent.

#6182 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

whats the condition of the one you are replacing?

Missing paint, bubbling places. Here a pic.

4932528A-DF46-4F31-B729-D5DEDA213B55 (resized).jpeg4932528A-DF46-4F31-B729-D5DEDA213B55 (resized).jpeg
    3 weeks later
    #6254 3 years ago
    Quoted from eb94114:

Looking to possibly get all the legs and the trim for a Williams pinball machine. Before I buy all the parts new, I figured I’d ask here to see if anyone local has any parts they might sell. I’m looking for a set of four legs, the two side rails, the lockdown bar, the two hinges, one coin door, and the bolts that are in good shape. No problem if not. Just wanted to check. Thank you.

I have a lockdown bar. $10

2 months later
    #6422 3 years ago
    Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Could be, but cashier's check is a great way to guarantee funds without the risk of a chargeback with electronic payments.

I would not accept a Cashier's Check for pin payment, and would advise my friends here not to accept a Cashier's Check either. Too many scams involving fake cashiers checks. Easy to print your own....just google it.

Correction...I would accept a Cashier's Check ONLY if I could take it to the bank it was drawn on and get the cash in hand before handing over the pin.

2 weeks later
    #6443 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:Machine - For Sale

Darling

New!

Used - shows wear, needs some work “Selling a Darling for a friend. Powers up, reels spin and then it pops a fuse. I suspect a stuck solenoid, but I am not an EM guy and I haven't been able to go over and help them d...”

7 hours ago

San Ramon, CA

200 (OBO)

ThatOneDude

Got some pics from the friend who has this.

PM's sent.

2 months later
    #6687 3 years ago

Looking for someone who could transport a pin from Fallon (1 hour east of Reno) to San Jose. Anyone interested can PM me with info or referrals. Thanks.

1 week later
    #6702 3 years ago

Anyone here interested in delivering a wood rail pin to Rancho Cordova from San Jose? PM me.

2 weeks later
    #6738 3 years ago

Looking for a Mata Hari for a friend. Anyone close by selling one, working or not?

3 months later
    #6925 2 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

Just finishing up my Bally Rolling Stones. JethroP did his outstanding work to bring it over the top! (Thank you!)

You're welcome. Thanks for the praises! That's a beautiful game, plays like new, and going to make its new owner very happy.

3 weeks later
    #6951 2 years ago

I've got a Middle Earth project for sale. $400. Looks great, just isn't working.

3 months later
    #7129 2 years ago

I am in San Jose and repair EM and newer machines both. PM me if interested in servicing your machine(s).

1 year later
    #7945 11 months ago

A guy I recently met is looking for his first pinball machine. Wants to spend around $2,000 (or less). Prefers early SS. PM me if you have or know of anything fitting this description and I will pass along the info. Thanks.

1 month later
    #7984 10 months ago

Need to get one of these frequency converters....probably the 200 watt unit just to be safe.

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 5.45.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-06-15 at 5.45.59 PM (resized).png
    4 months later
    #8148 6 months ago

Looking for a friend...new to pinball....wants a Bally Game Show. PM me if you have one to sell.

3 months later
    #8239 78 days ago
    Quoted from silverbearss:

Hey Everyone,
    My friends and I have finally decided to do it. Open a pinball arcade/shop dedicated to everything and anything pinball related. We have been super busy trying to get everything ready for next month’s grand opening (March, 2024)! We hope everyone can stop by and show some support. There are a ton of things in the works and we are hoping to get feedback on ideas, improvements and of course pinball talk. Below is a picture of our new shop located in San Jose, CA.
    [quoted image]

That is awesome! Can't wait to come see it. Even the bare building looks cool!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread?tu=JethroP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.