(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pixelcut-export-1713510013302 (resized).png
    Concord Open 2024~2 (resized).jpg
    types-of-pfd-1_1000x (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BlobfishXL.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2022 9 years ago

Hey guys. I'm in Oakland and i'm getting more seriously into pinball. I have board game events at my house and I thought it would be fun to add a pinball to the space. My wife and I have always enjoyed playing pinball. I've been watching CL and I got that Comet that was up for 1000 (got it for 850). I have been having a blast fixing it up, but seems like even at 850 I overpaid, since I am adding parts. Therefore it's a learning experience!

I am reading about these tournaments. Would they be welcoming to a rank beginner (I think the most pinball I have played up to this point is Kirby's Pinball Land and the occasional quarter here and there)?

The wife and I have been out to Playland-not-by-the-sea, Hi-Life, PPM. In fact I am thinking about volunteering at the museum. Does anyone know if they let the volunteers get involved with repair? I think I understand the Williams System 9 board pretty well now!

I'm already looking for an upgrade over Comet, but we really only have room for one machine to be set up (maybe 3 more in storage).

So basically: Hello!

#2027 9 years ago

I just have to convince my wife to move our home decor away from mid-century/modern and towards smelly arcade and then I could fit some more. (We don't REALLY need a couch do we?)

#2029 9 years ago

Does anyone volunteer for the museum?

#2033 9 years ago

The Comet was fully working but the more I look at it the worse I think the play field is. It has like a cracked alligator skin look throughout the paint as it it is all about to crumble away. The back glass is perfect and the cabinet is pretty good. Plays ok even though the left ramp was mostly tape (I ordered a repro). The center ramp is all melty, but you can still make the shot sometimes. The rest of the time it shoots up and hits the glass! Has anyone tried restoring a ramp with a heat gun?

#2035 9 years ago
    Quoted from caligirl:

Blobfish. Contact Kendra at Playland. I believe her email is on the website. Due to the fact that they are open weekends, the repair day is Thursday. Volunteers are given a chance to do repairs. Often it starts with cleaning and minor repairs and can go up to however your skill level allows and that you and Playland are comfortable with you doing.

Ok, I'll give that a try!

#2041 9 years ago
    Quoted from caligirl:

Blobfish. Contact Kendra at Playland. I believe her email is on the website. Due to the fact that they are open weekends, the repair day is Thursday. Volunteers are given a chance to do repairs. Often it starts with cleaning and minor repairs and can go up to however your skill level allows and that you and Playland are comfortable with you doing.

I took your advice and emailed Kendra.

Almost done cleaning the playfield on the Comet. Next is the swap out the capacitors on the board and see if I can reduce the speaker hum through futzing with the screws.

#2042 9 years ago

Anyone want an EM adventure?

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#2045 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Looks like a fun game.
    Steve

I like the "fog of war" effect.

#2048 9 years ago

No I am def missing at least one and I figure I could brighten up the contacts for the others and if that doesn't work use nylon screws. I wanted to change the caps at the same time.

#2050 9 years ago

What I have read is that you get hum when a part grounds through the wrong parts due to age related resistance. If you deny the board access to grounds it will ground the proper direction and not hum.

Reference:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buzzing-light-matrix-noise-on-my-williams-system-11-fire-fixed

#2054 9 years ago

Check out my NOS tool! I wanted something to check the pitch of pinballs and this was so pretty (even though you should check over a longer distance)
    $_57.JPG$_57.JPG
    $_57-263.JPG$_57-263.JPG

#2061 9 years ago

This Comet is starting to feel like even less of a deal. The wires from the burned out GI connector are just soldered to the back of the power board. There is also what looks like a fuse holder inline with one of the wires. I think I can fix it, but I need the tool for the connector and I can't just take the board out to work on it without a lot of unsoldering and note taking. I have the manual though, it says what wire color does where if I screw up. Is this the type of thing that the "no hacks" sentiment refers to? Just to be clear, the board is currently working, but I want to put it back to "factory" before I sell it. I am also going to put new caps.

IMG_20141106_212434488.jpgIMG_20141106_212434488.jpg

I noticed this when I bought it but I don't think it registered what a pain it would be to fix.

#2067 9 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the offers of assistance. I might take you up on your offer Sean. Are you free Sunday (Or Tuesday? It's Veteran's Day)?

#2068 9 years ago

I went out and visited Steve. Thanks so much for being willing to help and letting me take a peek at your games. Put me down as #2 on your list to buy that World Cup Soccer! I hope I see you around and thank your son for permitting me to share your attention for a bit.

#2075 9 years ago

Sean, if that's not a time limited offer, I think I want to try doing it on my own. Maybe you can bail me out when I put everything in backwards and it explodes. I want to do this more than once so might as well get the supplies.

#2079 9 years ago

Has anyone looked into this? Maybe some people could go in as a group if it's worth while. I'd love to get a quantity of repair tools/parts.

#2091 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

I've been waiting for this!

I have been meaning to head over there also. It's one block from my house and my wife loves Demo Man!

#2097 9 years ago

Is anyone driving from the bay for Arcade Expo?

1 week later
    #2178 9 years ago

My (from out of town) sister-in-law saw my pinball machine and then she was looking at local attractions and then she wants to go to the Pacific Pinball Museum. So I will probably be there Saturday with her and my wife.

#2179 9 years ago

Could someone define "planking" as it relates to play fields?

#2182 9 years ago

Ah. I don't think that is what is wrong with the playfield on my comet. The paint is messed up though. Looks like alligator skin or broken glass.
    IMG_20141031_205757.jpgIMG_20141031_205757.jpg

#2188 9 years ago

I'm at the PPM with all my In-laws.

#2196 9 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

It been a couple months since I've been there , is Black Rose & Pinball Magic still in the line up?

Yes both are.

Sorry I didn't see your note about pics. They had a roller disco which was new I think.

#2197 9 years ago

It's a crime that there is no league at the PPM.

#2199 9 years ago

I now own the hyperball. Guy also has an Atari Football vid (with the massive trackball) for 300. Screen has no burn. He says it plays perfect. I snapped a few quick pics. He would also trade for a wedge head.

#2203 9 years ago

I'm not sure I have room for it either, but I thought it would be fun to fix. It does power on a bit. A few back glass lights come on, but the MPU doesn't come up with a number (it flashes 0 for a second and turns off). It's system 7 boards. I had this one on my list, but it doesn't make sense to have unless it is part of a larger collection. I am toying with donating it to PPM. It would go over great there.

#2207 9 years ago

It was a 2 player.

#2208 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daddy-o:

You gotta get it running so I can come over and machine gun some pinballs PPm Has 900 machines that we cant even play.

I will def post if I get it going. I hope PPM gets into that library! Then they could have more out.

#2210 9 years ago

Cross-posting if anyone wants to come by and scratch their head with me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperball-system-7-wont-power-on#post-2075670

#2211 9 years ago

In other news I have recapped and repaired the GI IDC connector on my Comet. That IDC punch-down tool SUCKS.

Now it works (still) with no hacks or globs of electrical tape!

I found the soldering part to be relatively easy (certainly easier than painting a warhammer mini, which I also do). So if anyone wants some soldering help let me know.

#2212 9 years ago

Got the Hyperball to power on! Someone had cut the safety switch that shows the coin door is shut. Doesn't work but it powers on. Am I spamming this tread or are people interested in my travails?

#2214 9 years ago

The next ob problem is the 40 pin interconnect is missing pins. I am going to fix that and recap the power supply and see where we are at. Right now it goes into attract mode with no sound and won't register coins/start a game. The fan for the super solenoid comes on and a few backboard lights but no others. This game has a unique driver board, which is a little scary.

The displays (including the one IN the playfield!) all seem to be good.

#2216 9 years ago

You call that a Plastic? Thiiiiis is a Plastic.
    IMG_20141202_215251_1.jpgIMG_20141202_215251_1.jpg

Context, the playfield in the cab is shattered and the playfield on the extra one was not, so I am going to swap them. Easiest swap ever! No need to touch the bottom. Why aren't all playfields 1/4th inch plexiglass.

#2219 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daddy-o:

Then replace all the targets?

The targets look ok on both sets.

#2220 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

I spot a fellow board gamer, +1 for owning one of my fav games, Homesteaders!

Yaaaaaa... I actually started in on pinball cus I wanted to get one to accent my board game days and then I was like "Gee Fixing these is fun!"

IMG_20141202_231130_1.jpgIMG_20141202_231130_1.jpg

I have a MAME cabnet that I built from scratch as well. It's styled after Gauntlet.

#2258 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

damn that's tempting when you put it that way. My wife said only four pins, never said anything about a cocktail pin.....
    Got a ton to do the next few days, if its sits I may get more tempted.

The Face Your Fear doesn't count?

#2260 9 years ago

Don't you have that tiny Batman Face your fear machine to the right of your real machines?

#2266 9 years ago

Is anyone going south from the bay for Arcade Expo?

#2283 9 years ago

So my Comet that I had just finished repairing Sunday and was getting ready to list for sale has lost all sound. One day sound. Next day no sound. I'd played it like twice fully repaired.

That's pinball I guess!

I have a "walk-through" (http://home.scarlet.be/~fb054529/will9/ewill9.htm), but this will be my first foray into micrometers.

#2324 9 years ago

Hyperball update:

FYI it uses stock System 7 Boards except for the driver board

I recapped the power supply, replaced all 16 TIP42 with MOSFETs and jumpered the resisters, replaced the Zerner Diodes and resisters for the high voltage, replaced the female side of the interconnect, replaced the fuses (EVERY SINGLE FUSE WAS WRONG).

This revealed the second tier problems:

No Sound
    No GI (in fact i think there is a wire missing or I haven't spotted it hanging in the cab as 3J9 is listed in the manual as "GI in" but there is no wire going to it, Says it is supposed to be coming in from the cabinet.)
    The fourth digit in the inset playfield display doesn't work (is this a bad display? cus I have two. The other digits are bright)
    The Ball Auger doesn't come on consistently
    Balls jam the Auger
    The playfield lamps come on but they are very dim and if you leave the machine on they fade out. They come back on if you leave the machine off for a while. (they are acting like flashlights with a dead battery... Dead Cap?)

On the plus side: you can start a game, the z-bomb button works, the flash lamps works perfect, all the back glass displays work perfect and the hyper blaster solenoid works fine.

No idea if any of the switches or optos are out

#2327 9 years ago

We have GI on the Hyperbal! It would seem that 3J7 is not supposed to have a connector in it. The connector that was supposed to go to 3J9 was plugged into 3J7. That was an easy fix!

I have been watching Board Repair videos all day and now I feel like I want:

-a desoldering tool before I start messing with changing IC's
    -Test Roms (and subsequently
    -a rom burner (Seems like people like the GQ-4X)
    -a rom eraser

Can anyone point to a good primer on using a logic probe?

1 week later
    #2351 9 years ago

I chose a gauntlet cab for mine as I wanted 4 players. Player 1 and 2 have a SF layout but with a seventh button to match the SNK layout better. It is actually a second 4th button. Put a Golden Tee size track ball right in the middle, but I wish I had put a centipede size. Mine has a real medium res monitor running off the ArcadeVGA card that Ultimarc makes. You could come take a look if you want!

#2361 9 years ago

I will be at CAX mof.

#2369 9 years ago

Who is going down south for Arcade Expo in Banning CA? My wife gave me a three day pass and a plane ticket for christmas! Lets hang out, im going solo!

Me ans Mof at least. I'm driving down.

2 weeks later
    #2438 9 years ago
    Quoted from BigDan:

Thanks for the reply's. I unplugged and reconnected all the connectors going to the sound board (with the power off) and did a visual inspection on the fuses. I have also adjusted volume up and down. I haven't hunted down and cleaned/adjusted this volume pot as of yet because I haven't located it.

On a lot of machines the pot is inside the coin door, not in the head. Bad pot will make static and crackle when you adjust it. Contact Cleaner is cheap.

#2496 9 years ago

How come I have never heard of heavy metal meltdown before today?

1 week later
    #2571 9 years ago

Not anymore!!! BOOM!!!!

Nice score!

1 week later
    #2614 9 years ago

So I heard about this stuff called RAD Dry Slick. Then I heard it was now called dry/slick. Then I heard it didn't exist any more. Then I figured out that Hubbard-Hall owned the formula. Then I contacted them and they are only interested in corporate customers, but they do offer "samples". I inquired about that and they offered to sell me a whole case as a sample. I'll pretty stubborn, so I put in for a whole case, which is way more than I need. The case was pretty expensive with the shipping, so if any one wants some, I got some. 20$ a bottle.

IMG_20150205_182016.jpgIMG_20150205_182016.jpg
    Dryslick.pdfDryslick.pdf

#2632 9 years ago

I am 99% sure they have stools there. Going on Thursday so I will keep an eye out and confirm. They are totally kid friendly.

They have stools. Sometimes it is a bit crowded.

2 weeks later
    #2685 9 years ago

Way OT: If anyone wants to come to my post GDC board game after party in Oakland, hit me up with a PM.

#2698 9 years ago

Who do people buy NIB Sterns from on the west coast?

#2710 9 years ago

I don't have a target in mind, but if they really do a Game of Thrones pin I may need to have a conversation with the wife...

3 weeks later
    #2823 9 years ago

It's been a while since I updated about the Hyperball. I have it working electronically now, except for still no sound. The stuff that I did that had an impact included changing the Bridge Rectifiers, changing male and female 40 pin interconnects, re-pinning a connector and re-socketing the roms. I also did a bunch of stuff that didn't have in impact, including rebuilding the entire reset circuit . I have changed the CPU and the PIA on the soundboard and resocketed the rom and it still doesn't work (even with test rom) so I now suspect the 6810 ram. Mechanically is seems to work pretty well. Random switches work, shooter works. The thing that doesn't work is the ball auger, but I am hopeful it will stop jamming if I clean it good.

#2834 9 years ago
    Quoted from Damon:

Anyone have a system 11 project pin for sale or trade? Ive been wanting to get into my first project pin and general consensus seems to be to make that a system 11, looking for anything from player to project

I have a comet that has some mysterious issues.

#2838 9 years ago

Nice work TJ.

#2844 9 years ago

FYI Phoenix Games in concord is in a new location and it is a huge upgrade. They have room for the owner's whole collection to be playable by the public. Their current roster:

Godzilla
    World Cup Soccer '94
    Walking dead pro
    Wheel of Fortune
    Sega star wars
    Scared stiff
    Frankenstein
    Tales from the crypt
    Mousing around
    Twilight Zone
    Funhouse
    Championship pub

There are like 10 golden ages vids too. They have room for more as well. New location is a block down Clayton next to IHoP

#2846 9 years ago

Didn't see Metallica on the floor today.

#2890 9 years ago

I'm on vacation in Vegas! I heard about the satellite exhibit of the pinball hall of fame at the Riviera and then I heard that they are imploding the Riviera. So my wife and I fast tracked a trip. Nice mix of EM and SS. They have a stern NBA that I was excited to play. Also have Spanish Eyes and Grenada next to each other. I didn't realize Grenada had a different layout. Guess these are all going into storage next month. Going to the hall of fame proper sometime between now and Monday.

3 months later
    #3087 8 years ago

I have (finally) posted my Comet after getting it all fixed up!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/22253

Let me know if you want to come by and take a look!

IMG_20141207_155738_1.jpgIMG_20141207_155738_1.jpg

#3090 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What's that in the '82 cab next to it?
    -mof

WIP hyperball

#3096 8 years ago

That non-working hyperball now works electronically 100%! Fixing pinball is way more elating than playing them so far for me. Problem ended up being a bad PIA that I replaced with a PIA that was also bad. Third one worked! Always socket your chip replacements!

1 week later
    #3115 8 years ago

Anyone want to come look at my Comet? I've bumped my ask down to $1150.

#3117 8 years ago

Saw this ad and contacted the person.

Pinball is a Wild Life. They sent a picture. Note the apperent stuck on coil. Might be a deal, didn't get a price.

IMG_2369.jpgIMG_2369.jpg

1 week later
    #3152 8 years ago

Wish I had room for that Earth Shaker. Maybe if someone would buy my Comet!

#3179 8 years ago

Does anyone know who operates the machines at Moby Dick? Is it TJ? Saw on the pinballbayarea twitter that they have an Indy 500 there now.

2 weeks later
    #3248 8 years ago

So i actually kind of want that Dr. Dude that is on Craigslist. My wife and I have liked every Nordman we have played. I've emailed three times with no response though! What gives? Anyone have info on the person?

#3251 8 years ago

Really? No response? That guy had been trying to sell that forever now, can't imagine he wouldn't respond. Did you email asking for a lower price?

All I did was ask if I can see it!

#3256 8 years ago

So I visited this guy:

stockton.craigslist.org link

The Space Station had been described as in poor condition, but the pictures of the playfield looked nice so I went and took a look. Poor was right. The head was coming apart. Plastic on the speakers had come off, displays hanging out. I could see some of the leads going to the tubes were broken off. No legs. I still might have gone for it if the boards had been ok. Head was locked. Spent some time drilling it off. Pretty bad Battery damage. I passed.

However, if anyone is looking for a space station playfield, I couldn't see any ware on it. Plastics were nice too.

The story is that the guy's wife's father wanted to open an arcade. Father died. Apparently there are three containers of vids/pins in similar condition on the father's property. He said wife is executor, but sister is suing so they can't go to the property currently. I asked him if he could remember any titles, but he could not.

He also had:

Just the apron for Fire Power
    Moldering Pole Position
    Very Moldering Pacman
    Gorgar No head at all (may be in storage/may not be)

Gorgar field was relatively nice. There was flipper ware and one ding through the paint that I saw.

He said he remembered that there was at least one game wrapped up with plastic he had seen in the storage and that he thought it was an Elvis. Dude was definitely toasty.

I asked him to call if he got access again. Might be some deals. He said the containers/property is in Ione.

#3266 8 years ago

Contacted them. Pin is a Future Spa.

7 months later
    #3880 8 years ago

Just got in my second gameplan cocktail! Now to get one of them working...

KIMG0118_(resized).JPGKIMG0118_(resized).JPG

3 months later
    #4073 7 years ago

Did Stay Gold Deli get added?

#4084 7 years ago

I'm still looking for an Indianapolis 500.

2 weeks later
    #4103 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kratogen:

Anybody know where I can play BSD in the San Jose / South Bay Area? Been playing it a lot on Pinball arcade and want to play the real thing!
    "Blood is too precious a thing in these times"

There was one at the Pinball Museum in Alameda last time I was there.

2 years later
    #5084 5 years ago

Hello. Haven't posted in a while. I'm ready for a new pin. I'm looking for an Elvira and the Party Monsters. I have a Party Zone and a TSPP I might be willing to involve in a trade.

2 months later
    #5181 5 years ago

I have posted my Simpsons Pinball Party to the market.

Machine - For Sale
    Partially shopped/refurbished - “Fully functional machine in pretty good shape. Good: -Added art blades -Extra World of Springfield toys -Moe's 3d diarama -Neat Simpsons car topper (pictured) -Garage door coil up...”
    2018-12-24
    Oakland, CA
    4,500 (OBO)
    Archived after: 24 days
    Viewed: 802 times

2 weeks later
    #5217 5 years ago

I have dropped my TSPP to 4,900. Located in Oakland.

Machine - For Sale
    Partially shopped/refurbished - “Fully functional machine in pretty good shape. Good: -Added art blades -Extra World of Springfield toys -Moe's 3d diarama -Neat Simpsons car topper (pictured) -Garage door coil up...”
    2018-12-24
    Oakland, CA
    4,500 (OBO)
    Archived after: 24 days
    Viewed: 802 times

3 months later
    #5347 5 years ago

SOLD!
    Machine - For Sale
    Fully shopped/refurbished - “Fully working gameplan cocktail pinball. This has an Echo Lake replacement MPU (these are no longer being produced but work in any gameplan machine). No issues that I can think of ...”
    2019-04-16
    Oakland, CA
    800 (OBO)
    Archived after: 21 days
    Viewed: 476 times
    Contributed to Pinside

Setting the initial price high because of the Echo Lake Replacement MPU that is no longer being made (AFAIK).

4 months later
    #5523 4 years ago

I just got one over my limit so I need this gone soon. LMK if anyone is interested.

SOLD!
    Machine - For Sale
    Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Fully working RCT. Plays Great! Good: Full LED Extra Decal Set Other misc parts ROMs updated to most recent Button area side armor (not yet installed, 6th picture) Bad: Left ramp...”
    2019-07-09
    Oakland, CA
    2,600 (OBO)
    Archived after: 18 days
    Viewed: 247 times
    Contributed to Pinside

2 months later
    #5604 4 years ago

I've just listed an Indy 500, if anyone is looking.

Machine - For Sale
    Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “No issues that I know of. Side art is faded, but every one of these has that issue and it is actually pretty red still. No real spots of wear. Still has the goodie bag. Part...”
    4 years ago
    Oakland, CA
    Expired!

2 weeks later
    #5648 4 years ago

Price Lowered:

Machine - For Sale
    Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “No issues that I know of. Side art is faded, but every one of these has that issue and it is actually pretty red still. No real spots of wear. Still has the goodie bag. Part...”
    4 years ago
    Oakland, CA
    Expired!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BlobfishXL.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread?tu=BlobfishXL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.