(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg
    games (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240225_215100_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20240223_215856 (resized).jpg
    There are 8,371 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 168.
    #3551 8 years ago

Anyone looking for a HUO BBB? Have a friend selling one. He is a private guy, so I am acting on his behalf. If interested please send me a pm. You all know what they go for, so don't bother with a lowball offer.

#3552 8 years ago

Hi Nor Cal Pinheads, my name is Joey and i'm moving to East Bay, San Ramon, in late December. I wanted to say hello and ask where the good local places are to play and if there are any leagues open to new members in the area? Also I'm looking to make a few new friends and meet local pinball folks to hangout with. I'll be bringing 2 EMs with me from FLorida, FREEFALL and DIMENSION.

A little about me, I'm grew up in NJ and lived in NYC for a long time and ran an event called The Pinball Pub Crawl. I've been living in Florida for the last 10 years. I'm into live music and play bass and guitar. I have been into pinball since 1996. My first game was a beat to shit Space Shuttle that I fixed and did a playfield swap on. Next pin was Addams Family and then there was no stopping me from collecting pins. Along the way i have had a bunch of EMs and SS including MB, BSD, PIN-BOT, WW, Gorgar, JD, FT, TZ, SPOT-A-CARD, 2001. I really enjoy fixing up dead games as much as playing and have been doing EM house call repairs and cabinet restorations for other collectors. Once i get settle in SF one my first stops will be to the Pacific Pinball Museum and Phoenix Games. So thats it, Cheers and Happy Holidays

#3553 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Hey Guys,
    I'm selling my Shrek for $4300.
    Here is a link the the Market Place listing.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/27969
    If you have any questions or want higher resolution photos, just let me know.
    Jim

Buy with complete confidence. There is no nicer guy in the hobby and this machine is gorgeous.

#3555 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jozepp:

Hi Nor Cal Pinheads, my name is Joey and i'm moving to East Bay, San Ramon, in late December. I wanted to say hello and ask where the good local places are to play and if there are any leagues open to new members in the area?

Welcome, Joey! You are in for a treat - the Bay Area is a great place to be a pinhead! Northern California has a fantastic and welcoming pinball community, with nine pinball leagues and tons of tournaments (we've got 12 on the books in December).

Closest league to you is probably going to be the East Bay Pinball League that meets at Phoenix Games in Concord. Also, check out the Gentleperson's Pinball Society and Tuesday night tournaments at Hi-Life Pizza in Oakland.

Best way to keep up with your options is to visit HellaHeartPinball.com, where you'll find a calendar of all the currently scheduled tournaments and information about all the local pinball leagues, and can sign up for a monthly e-mail featuring Bay Area pinball news and a list of upcoming tournaments.

Besides PPM and Phoenix Games, you are definitely going to want to pay a visit to Free Gold Watch in San Francisco.

#3556 8 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Hi all. need a few local resources to check out my down CV. newer to the hobby and learning tons but time is tight & I need to get it running b4 holidays. can someone throw out names or PM me plz. appreciate the help

I'm in Benicia too. Go see Chris at Pinball Pirate. Nice guy and has a bunch of pins currently. He makes house calls for me without much of a wait since local.

#3558 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jozepp:

Hi Nor Cal Pinheads, my name is Joey and i'm moving to East Bay, San Ramon, in late December. I wanted to say hello and ask where the good local places are to play and if there are any leagues open to new members in the area? Also I'm looking to make a few new friends and meet local pinball folks to hangout with. I'll be bringing 2 EMs with me from FLorida, FREEFALL and DIMENSION.

A little about me, I'm grew up in NJ and lived in NYC for a long time and ran an event called The Pinball Pub Crawl. I've been living in Florida for the last 10 years. I'm into live music and play bass and guitar. I have been into pinball since 1996. My first game was a beat to shit Space Shuttle that I fixed and did a playfield swap on. Next pin was Addams Family and then there was no stopping me from collecting pins. Along the way i have had a bunch of EMs and SS including MB, BSD, PIN-BOT, WW, Gorgar, JD, FT, TZ, SPOT-A-CARD, 2001. I really enjoy fixing up dead games as much as playing and have been doing EM house call repairs and cabinet restorations for other collectors. Once i get settle in SF one my first stops will be to the Pacific Pinball Museum and Phoenix Games. So thats it, Cheers and Happy Holidays

Welcome... There are a lot of great PinHeads here in the Bay Area.

Be sure to go to Pin-a-go-go & CA Extreme.

You're welcome to visit and play / talk pinball. Send me a PM. Maybe I can arrange a few locals to come too.

Kerry

#3559 8 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Anyone looking for a HUO BBB? Have a friend selling one. He is a private guy, so I am acting on his behalf. If interested please send me a pm. You all know what they go for, so don't bother with a lowball offer.

This BBB is in extremely excellent shape and plays great.

#3560 8 years ago

Thank you for the welcome and help! I'll reach out to him.

#3561 8 years ago

Anyone check out the pin that was on CL in Santa Rosa yesterday grouped with a juke and a arcade game? I couldn't for the life of me figure out what game it was from the pic.

#3562 8 years ago

I called. She said it was a City Slicker.

#3563 8 years ago

I was trying to figure that out also.

#3564 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenPin:

I called. She said it was a City Slicker.

Never even heard of that game

#3565 8 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Never even heard of that game

Don't worry - you're not missing much.

#3566 8 years ago
    Quoted from Flamethrower:

Don't worry - you're not missing much.

Kinda figured.

#3567 8 years ago

How much did Stern Spider-Man sell for new in 2007? I keep seeing the ad on craigslist for the nib SM for $6,600 and hearing the rumors of a Spiderman VE, so I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable offer might be for that machine. I guess some of it depends on if a VE is really produced and its price. Any thoughts?

#3568 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenPin:

How much did Stern Spider-Man sell for new in 2007? I keep seeing the ad on craigslist for the nib SM for $6,600 and hearing the rumors of a spiderman VE, so I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable offer might be for that machine. I guess some of it depends on if a VE is really produced and its price. Any thoughts?

The SM VE with comic art and new dots will be released as Stern's next VE it is not just a rumor at this point. It is going to happen. As far as how much they will be is anyone's guess. My best guess is it will be around $5100-$5300 shipped. I have no pricing info whatsoever this is pure speculation. For value on the NIB listed on CL he had it listed forever for $7000 and the VE should be out fairly soon so you have some leverage. I would guess and offer of $6,100-$6,300 should put you in the ballpark of what the guy will actually take given that he probably is aware that a VE is being done.

Once you open it you likely won't be able to get that out of it again as stock HUO examples right now go from $5000-$5300 and that may drop a bit once VE is released. However, your paying extra to get a NIB original SM which is a cool thing. I don't pretend to know it all, this is just my best educated guess on pricing so please no one bite my head off as I'm just trying to help a fellow pinhead out.

#3569 8 years ago

+1 for the dude abides! Really it boils down to do you want a nib pin which is a complete one of the best pins ever or hope the new version will be equal or superior to the original. I vote original.

#3570 8 years ago

That sounds like a good answer. Thanks!

#3571 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jozepp:

The good news is you're equidistant from three leagues. The bad news is you're still far from all of them!

Traffic-wise your best bets are probably Oakland and Concord. The Oakland league is super laid back and no wpprs. Maybe too laid back for some... The concord league is also very laid back but more competitive and they do award wpprs. There are a few highly ranked players there. I've played multiple seasons in both and they're both great leagues, just depends on what you're looking for.

#3572 8 years ago

Anybody going to Arcade Expo next month? I just booked my airbnb. Can't wait!!

#3573 8 years ago

NorCal represent! I'm in - gonna be super fun!

Quoted from jonnyo:Anybody going to Arcade Expo next month? I just booked my airbnb. Can't wait!!

#3574 8 years ago

Welcome to JOZREPP, another San Ramonite here!

#3575 8 years ago

Hey gang, I am going to try to land a Star Trek Pro sometime over the next 6 months. I will need to sell off some machines or trade to do it. If any of you are thinking of selling/trading one in that time frame, PM me!

Cheers,
    Seth

#3577 8 years ago

Mr Adam is the proud new owner and has made her meaner and faster then ever...its prolly the only pin that i have ever traded away that I miss.

#3578 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenPin:

How much did Stern Spider-Man sell for new in 2007?

Knowing the original price in 2007 doesn't impact the current value, but just to answer your question: I paid $4100 shipped in October of 2007. The value jumped in 2010 with a substantial code update. The last code update was in 2014.

#3579 8 years ago

I told you she was mine! Haha.

I'm lucky that you don't live closer to Seth or I'm sure you'd be the one with it. Haven't decided if I'm going to take it to PaGG yet as I heard another person is going to bring a SoF and I'm trying to bring everything I have that's not a duplicate this year. But, you know your welcome anytime you are stuck in Lodi.

She'll probably come to the show though who am I kidding. Strictly for play!

#3580 8 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Anybody going to Arcade Expo next month? I just booked my airbnb. Can't wait!!

You bet! Hotel+flights have been booked

#3582 8 years ago

Anyone want an Iron Man Vault Edition for Christmas? One of the nicest you'll ever see. Ad with pics:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/28216

#3583 8 years ago

Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons now on location at Phoenix Games.

#3584 8 years ago

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here the past couple of months but finally figured I'd introduce myself. I just moved from Livermore to Oakdale and finally have a home big enough to accommodate a pin. I haven't played much since I was a teen but I've always wanted to get a machine as I remember a lot of fun times playing machines around the T2 era. Anyhow I'm a big tinkerer and my research has revealed this is a very tinker friendly hobby. Does anyone know if it'd be possible to pick up a fun pin in good working order but common enough to get parts for easily enough if I decide to do any upgrades/repairs to it later for between about 1k/2k and if so what pins should I look for? The wife is my biggest obstacle as she has never played pins before and thinks I'm being stupid. My hope is she'll like it enough to allow me indulge my interests in the future

Anyhow the board looks to be an invaluable resource and I look forward to being here.

Thanks,
    Stephan

#3585 8 years ago

Welcome Stephan! You live in a great area, Stockton/Modesto/Lodi have great pinheads and always have deals popping up on CL. You should have no problem finding pinball machines in your range depending on what you want. EM machines can be had for $300-$500 depending on condition and solid state machines start around $500 for a fixer upper and climb into five figures depending on title and condition.

If you want more modern (> 80's) pinball machines, System 11 machines by Williams are a great place to start. Lots of resources and parts out there. My first machine was a High Speed and it's a great title, lots of parts and mods, and can be had for less then a $1000. Reach out to Cheddar on this forum, he is near(ish) to you and may have a good System 11 starter pin that needs some work but would be good entry for you if you like to tinker.

It's really about how much you want to work on them. Typically we recommend your first machine be fully functional and you pick up a second machine to work on. You want to always have at least one working machine you can actually play on so you don't get too frustrated. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Cheers,
    Seth

#3586 8 years ago

Stephan, come to Lodi and you can play at my place. My neighbor has a nice collection too. Practice up a bit and you can play in league starting to January.

Good to meet you! We'll help you find a good pin.

#3587 8 years ago

Be careful with your wife. Pinball turns into an addiction and tends to multiply, space or not. Find something she likes to play. In my case it was a Galaga arcade machine with a 60 in one board. Within a year I went from 1 pinball to now 7. This is a great hobby/addiction and great community. Everyone is so helpful. I met Cheddar at Pin-a-go-go last year. Super nice guy. Whenever you have a question post it on Pinside and you will always find help. Good luck my friend. Hope to meet you at the next PAG show.
    Dave-

#3588 8 years ago

156 days until pin a go go by the way.

Welcome to pinside Stephan.

#3589 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

156 days until pin a go go by the way.

#3590 8 years ago

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

#3591 8 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Watching movers move my 6 pins up a steep flight of stairs from a truck parked on a substantial hill into my flat made me think to myself "God, what a stupid fucking thing to own.". I thought the same thing when I was setting them up in one of the four rooms in the place. I also cringed at the thought of moving out.
    Just a little insight of where you'll be after you get your first game.

Barron you have six pins and live in the city? when is the party?!

#3592 8 years ago
    Quoted from usulnet:

Hi all,
    I've been lurking around here the past couple of months but finally figured I'd introduce myself. I just moved from Livermore to Oakdale and finally have a home big enough to accommodate a pin. I haven't played much since I was a teen but I've always wanted to get a machine as I remember a lot of fun times playing machines around the T2 era. Anyhow I'm a big tinkerer and my research has revealed this is a very tinker friendly hobby. Does anyone know if it'd be possible to pick up a fun pin in good working order but common enough to get parts for easily enough if I decide to do any upgrades/repairs to it later for between about 1k/2k and if so what pins should I look for? The wife is my biggest obstacle as she has never played pins before and thinks I'm being stupid. My hope is she'll like it enough to allow me indulge my interests in the future
    Anyhow the board looks to be an invaluable resource and I look forward to being here.
    Thanks,
    Stephan

This is a good thread to keep an eye on for games popping up in the area https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-california-for-sale-club-and-wanted-too/page/51#post-2842068

#3593 8 years ago

So true. Watching movers go up my stairs I practically thought the same. Then I had a cold beer in honor of my saved back. Refreshing.

#3594 8 years ago

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

#3595 8 years ago

GOT is on location at Coin Op Sacramento - it's the pro version.

#3596 8 years ago
    Quoted from usulnet:

Hi all,
    Thanks,
    Stephan

If you come out to cheddar's you are all more than welcome to come over here too. My collection is open for whomever wants to come enjoy them. I'm literally less than 10 min away from him.

You can find almost any of the sys11 games in the mid 1000s to high 2000s I would start there. You can probably find a t2 in the high 1000s to low 2000s everyone just thinks they are worth more right now for some reason.

Network with us and you'll soon be sleeping under pins, or adding sheds in the back of the house hahaha.

#3597 8 years ago

A buddy of ours is going to list his Black Rose. This is a decent DMD game for the price of a system 11

#3598 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

A buddy of ours is going to list his Black Rose. This is a decent DMD game for the price of a system 11

pm me please-- nevermind, pm sent

#3599 8 years ago
    Quoted from usulnet:

Hi all,
    Thanks,
    Stephan

I think F-14 Tomcat would be a good first game for the price. Ive seen more then a few nice examples locally listed for $1,400-1,700 (maybe less) over the past year. Rollergames is also another affordable game to get you into pinball.

Raising it up to $2,300-2,500 would open up a lot more games from the DMD era if you are looking for a game thats close by, ready to play and bought without much haggling. With a DMD your wife or whoever spectating has something to watch and draw them in vs an alpha numeric display.

#3600 8 years ago

Any word on CAX 2016 show dates??

There are 8,371 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 168.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.