(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pixelcut-export-1713510013302 (resized).png
    Concord Open 2024~2 (resized).jpg
    types-of-pfd-1_1000x (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg
    There are 8,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 168.
    #1851 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

and when can we come play your sweet collection?

As soon as I get my pincave setup...I just moved so some work still needs to be done. Dr. Who is getting overhauled and an LED kit by my buddy and my Metallica is still in the box...

#1852 9 years ago

Can someone send me by PM the details about the location of tomorrow's league night please ?
    Thanks.

#1853 9 years ago
    Quoted from Leo13:

Can someone send me by PM the details about the location of tomorrow's league night please ?
    Thanks.

Not many BAPA members on here Leo. Send an email to Eugene at eug at 0x47.com and he'll give you the address.

#1854 9 years ago

Anybody here know this op from Ceres? Are his prices any good on vids? He's posting a bunch of games for sale and I would like to know if it's worth my time to call him and/or make the drive up there.

modesto.craigslist.org link

Thanks in advance!

#1855 9 years ago

I just moved to Oakland.

I heard there is a pretty decent pinball community in the area. Is there a local league that is accepting new members?

#1856 9 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

I just moved to Oakland.

I heard there is a pretty decent pinball community in the area. Is there a local league that is accepting new members?

Welcome to the bay area. Lots of great bars in Oakland with lots of great pins. There is no Oakland league per say, but there are often tournaments in Oakland. Not as many as there used to be though, Jonnyo used to put them on really regularly but he stopped. I would look here for upcoming tournaments+++ http://pinballbayarea.com/ , +++but its updated sporadically so I would go there and sign up to get emails of updates, they wont happen often enough to annoy you.

Free gold watch in SF has a league, but there may be a waiting list at this point, i'm not sure.

Theres also a league in Concord I have been dying to try out, but I cant seem to make it out there, something always prevents me.

#1857 9 years ago

Thank Steve! That is all awesome info.

#1858 9 years ago

There are five bay area leagues:

* SFPD meets at Free Gold Watch in San Francisco. There's a wait list for new members (we have 75 members this season), but you can come play as a guest any night for $10. It's a great time. If you come as a guest, let me know so we make sure to meet. It can get a little crazy with all those people. Details: http://sfpins.org/
    * BAPA meets around the bay, typically in the south bay. http://www.bayareapinball.org/
    * East Bay Pinball meets at Phoenix Games in Concord. The location is awesome. http://www.eastbaypinball.org/
    * Belles & Chimes meets at Hi-Life in Oakland, but it's a women's only league. http://bellesandchimespinball.com/
    * Capitol Corridor Pinball League meets in Fairfield and Folsom. http://www.powertothepinball.com/

For tournaments is absolute best place is: http://hellaheartpinball.com/ -- it's up to date and there's a mailing list. Check that site often for tournament info.

The best location in Oakland is Hi-Life / Rico's Diner. Ten games and the op keeps them in great shape. It's the best place to meet fellow pinheads. If you head into San Francisco Free Gold Watch is the place to meet pinheads (and play 30 different pins).

#1859 9 years ago

what Andreas said!

I did go to EBPL league night before and met a guy who is considering setting up another league in SF. He works in the Mission near where I live and play a lot and since I think there were over 40 people on the wait list for SFPD another SF league could work.

I know in NYC they have one league that is team-based and I like that idea. Not sure what he's going to do but that could be another option. Def lots of great pinball here in NorCal! welcome!

#1860 9 years ago

A team-based league could be a ton of fun for sure

I think the SFPD wait list is down to 20 people or so. There are 13 rookies in the season we just started.

Do you know what location the guy was considering? Gestalt is a sweat lodge and can't really hold more than 20 people for pinball...

#1861 9 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

Gestalt is a sweat lodge and can't really hold more than 20 people for pinball...

LOL sweat lodge.
    -mof

#1862 9 years ago

Looks like pinside is bleeding over to our local craigslist, I think it's funny this gentleman is trying to start an open dialogue through CL.

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#1863 9 years ago

Also possibly the most deluded seller on CL I have ever seen. $2500 for a non working big brave?! And then to say it's worth $5k if in perfect condition!

#1864 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Looks like pinside is bleeding over to our local craigslist, I think it's funny this gentleman is trying to start an open dialogue through CL.

CL says: <message deleted>

#1865 9 years ago

Wish to add: I have almost no opinion about MMR and it's coin door. I have no dog in that fight. Just find it interesting that it's getting people so riled up that they are taking it to craigslist.

#1867 9 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

There are five bay area leagues:

We have another new league out in CCPL country. I believe it's called Solano Pinball League (I feel like I am mixing up Solano with something else). Meets through out Fairfield/Vacaville every other Wednesday. Really far for Oakland, but I thought I'd still mention it.

Nice to see you out at EBP Gene!

BTW...speaking of teams: East Bay City Rumble III...it's coming. Announcements/dates/times will be coming in the following week or so. Stay tuned. Start courting up team members...unless you're chicken! >

#1868 9 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

We have another new league out in CCPL country. I believe it's called Solano Pinball League (I feel like I am mixing up Solano with something else). Meets through out Fairfield/Vacaville every other Wednesday. Really far for Oakland, but I thought I'd still mention it.

Ah, I do remember seeing that linked from hellaheartpinball.com but the link just went to a closed google group with no info so I forgot about them...

Quoted from sosage:

BTW...speaking of teams: East Bay City Rumble III...it's coming. Announcements/dates/times will be coming in the following week or so. Stay tuned. Start courting up team members...unless you're chicken! >

Nice! Remind me to send you a proper SFPD logo so you're not stuck using Per's face again this year!

#1869 9 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

I just moved to Oakland.

Welcome to Oakland! You should come to the tournament at Hi-Life next Monday. Great opportunity to meet other local pinheads. Registration opens at 7, you need to arrive by 7:30 at the latest to play: http://hellaheartpinball.com/hilifetournaments.html

#1871 9 years ago

Might also move my CQ BSD.

#1872 9 years ago
    Quoted from Troutfarm:

Might also move my CQ BSD.

Contact pinsider Kerry_Richard. I think he's looking for one.

#1873 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Contact pinsider Kerry_Richard. I think he's looking for one.

already done.

#1874 9 years ago

East Bay City Rumble III

I still have to update the website, create graphics/posters/whatever, but I've locked in the date and I'm officially announcing it today.

Website (old info, I'll update later): http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble

When? September 27th. Noon.

Where? Phoenix Games (working on possibly running in 2nd location)

How much? $30 per team

What?!? -- East Bay City Rumble is one of two annual team tournament events that East Bay Pinball organizes. It's our open challenge to any and all leagues/groups that reside in NorCal. If your league is truly bad-to-the-ass, then we'll see a team representing here.

The format is 2-man teams vs. 2-man teams. Match play. 3 strikes format*.

How the hell does that work?!?! -- 2 teams are matched against each other for a best 2 out of 3 match. The first game is randomly selected. Teams rock/paper/scissor for choice of second or third game (whoever doesn't choose second game, chooses third game).

On the game itself, a 4-player game is coined up. The team going first represents players 1 and 3 on the DMD. The team going second represents player 2 and 4. At the end of the game, BOTH scores for 1 and 3, and BOTH scores for 2 and 4 are added. The team with the higher COMBINED score wins the game.

Every MATCH loss earns your team a strike. 3 strikes and you're out.

Finals -- Finals matches are best 3 out of 5 games (as long as the strikes bracket ends cleanly...knock on wood).

True Finals -- Yes, there is a secondary final to this tournament. The members of the winning team must play another 3 out of 5 set against EACH OTHER for Grand Champion status.

Prizes -- Top 3 teams are in the money. Grand Champion winner also takes home a special side pot and trophy.

How do I register? -- email ebcr AT drunkentemple DOT com (AT=@ DOT=.). Provide this info:

Team name:
    Team Captain's name:
    Second team member name:
    League/Group you're representing:
    Contact info:

You don't have to be in a league to participate and everyone is encouraged to play, but if you're in a league, represent it. This tournament started off as a league vs. league-centric event.

Contact info is just a way for me to email/contact you in case something drastic has changed.

Okay...my wall of text is complete.

*=For the last 2 years I've run this tournament as a double elimination bracket, but as everyone's skills improve, this tournament drags on later and later. Last year we ended stupid late, so I'm swapping to a quicker tournament structure.

#1876 9 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

East Bay City Rumble III

Yeah! I'll do my best to remember to announce this at SFPD on Wednesday. We have show you East Bay guys how it's done!

#1878 9 years ago

Thank you for organizing this, Steve! I participated last year, which was my first tournament ever, and had a great time. I highly recommend attending.

#1880 9 years ago

Anyone want to build there own racing cab?
    I'm parting out mine, for about 1/2 the cost of build and it's already together:

~ $200 for a semi-complete setup w/27" LED monitor.
    ~ or $100 for a semi-complete setup, you add your monitor
    Basically plug-n-play for your PS3 or PC.

Here's a vid of this cab - the only things not included at $200 is the PS3, 2TB HD, and the Audio Amp
    The Monitor has speaker/amp, so audio will be included (extra free speakers are mounted/included but no extra amp included)

###SALE PENDING###

#1882 9 years ago

Off to play at PPM... Anyone else going today?
    -mof

#1883 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Off to play at PPM... Anyone else going today?

I wish, but need to put my earthshaker back together tonight.

#1884 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

Cool, you got the earthshaker.
    Congrats.

#1885 9 years ago

Felt like a 4.2-4.5 in SF.

WAIT A SEC OUR LAST POST WAS ABOUT EARTHSHAKER. NORCAL THREAD PREDICTED THE QUAKE.

-mof

#1886 9 years ago

6.0 in American Canyon. Hope all pinheads are okay.

Steve (in Escalon)

#1887 9 years ago

Everything good in Vacaville....Damage in Vallejo, Napa and American Canyon

#1888 9 years ago

woke me up stood in doorway and swayed, too short. I was just talking about a possible earthquake yesterday because the lack of ground water weight. freaky about the earthshaker posts above.

#1889 9 years ago

Crap, reports say a fire took out 3 homes. That's not good.
    -mof

#1890 9 years ago

3 mobile homes in Napa. Lot's of broken gas and water mains. Mutual aide fire departments units have already arrived to assist Napa Fire Dept.

#1891 9 years ago

Be safe Bay Area people. Play pinball, during after shocks everyone will have a shaker motor.

#1892 9 years ago

If you need pics or help, let me know!

#1893 9 years ago

Only put it back together if you think it will prevent the next aftershock from being a 6 or bigger.
    -mof

#1894 9 years ago

Hope everyone towards Napa is alright.

Shook us pretty good in Concord. Definitely woke me up. One of those quakes where you think about getting under the door jam...then you think it's going to be over by the time you get there...and it doesn't stop so you're still laying in bed out in the open like an idiot.

#1895 9 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

Hope everyone towards Napa is alright.
    Shook us pretty good in Concord. Definitely woke me up. One of those quakes where you think about getting under the door jam...then you think it's going to be over by the time you get there...and it doesn't stop so you're still laying in bed out in the open like an idiot.

Yep that's me! I thought about the door jam but never moved off my mattress. Novato got shook hard but no real damage from what I can see. Glad you pinheads are ok.

#1896 9 years ago

So I guess that is my last posting about a certain nameless pinball machine in a nor cal thread, lol. Good thoughts to all those dealing with the aftermath.

#1897 9 years ago

So I guess that is my last posting about a certain nameless pinball machine in a nor cal thread, lol. Good thoughts to all those dealing with the aftermath.

Good thing you did not get a fire.
    Or Godzilla.

#1898 9 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Good thing you did not get a fire.
    Or Godzilla.

So true, so true...
    -mof

#1899 9 years ago

Oddly enough I was standing in my driveway at 3:20am in Pacifica when the earthquake happened. My buddy dropped me off at my house and I paused to make sure I closed my gate on the side of the house and then I heard a bunch of squeaky noises (shocks from the cars starting to shake). It took me a second to realize what was going on and then the cars started to sway and bounce as the rumbling began. Dogs were barking and I just stood in the driveway and rode the wave...what a trip, it was so quiet outside when it happened. I got in the house and made sure the wife was ok and that her 75 gallon fish tank was ok...It hit pretty good in Pacifica.

#1900 9 years ago

Just in case some of you guys haven't heard about the Oakland Radio Shack giving away an Iron Man VE.

http://blog.radioshack.com/2014/08/contest-radioshack-loves-pinball/

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pinball-delivered-to-radioshack

Good luck to all that try!

There are 8,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 168.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.