(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg
    games (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240225_215100_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20240223_215856 (resized).jpg
    There are 8,371 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 168.
    #7301 2 years ago
    Quoted from YERFDOG:

Hey everybody! I just wanted to give a shout-out to Fat J's Pin Wagon! Pinside username: Llabnip1972. He picked up 2 pins in Reno for me last week and delivered straight to my door. Thanks again J!
    Eric

I also wanted to give a shout-out to Fat J's Pin Wagon! He delivered a machine to Reno for me. Great guy and the transaction went smooth.

#7302 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jecco74:

I also wanted to give a shout-out to Fat J's Pin Wagon! He delivered a machine to Reno for me. Great guy and the transaction went smooth.

Reno was a blast. I plan on making a trip up there each month to play some cards so hit me up if you need anything moved. Nice collection! Let me know if that SS is ever available. That's my only grail game left....except for Fathom.

Quoted from YERFDOG:

Hey everybody! I just wanted to give a shout-out to Fat J's Pin Wagon! Pinside username: Llabnip1972. He picked up 2 pins in Reno for me last week and delivered straight to my door. Thanks again J!
    Eric

I've lived in California for 50 years and that was my first time in Santa Rosa. Beautiful drive.

#7303 2 years ago

For trade. Iron Maiden pro plus cash. I’m looking for Deadpool premium (or LE). I would also buy outright. Maiden has stern art blades, a shaker motor, and flipper toppers. I bought nib in april 2020.

F5400782-9ECB-4131-B68F-457C259DB814 (resized).jpegF5400782-9ECB-4131-B68F-457C259DB814 (resized).jpeg
    #7304 2 years ago

Is there any place locally to buy pinball supplies? I find myself desiring different rubber sizes based on fit and color, and I’m tired of spending high shipping costs for a few items.

#7305 2 years ago
    Quoted from MyParagon1979:

Is there any place locally to buy pinball supplies? I find myself desiring different rubber sizes based on fit and color, and I’m tired of spending high shipping costs for a few items.

Pinball Pirate is in Benicia. I think there are a few repair guys who might sell parts in the south Bay. Not sure.

#7306 2 years ago

Chris doesn't sell parts, he fixes games and is a stern and jjp dealer. His parts bay is for his repairs, not for sale. Lucky enough to call Chris a friend, but I don't ask him for parts ( unless I'm desperate, then I make him dinner in exchange!)
    B

#7307 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I think there are a few repair guys who might sell parts in the south Bay.

News to me if so - that would be amazing. Boy do I miss when Bay Area Amusements was in Campbell and it was a 10 minute car ride to go pick up parts!

#7308 2 years ago

Yeah, I thought Chris was mostly repairs and sales. Total bummer. Since this is my first machine I’ve currently got pending orders from pinball life, Planetary pinball, Marcos and eBay!!!!! Paying $8-10 for shipping each time. Just wish somebody local (hobby store) carried basic supplies. Just isn’t worth the shipping for a few white rubber rings. Guess I’ll wait until my next order…….

#7309 2 years ago

Hey, here’s another better question.
    If I just need to buy a few rubber rings, what’s the cheapest way to order?

#7310 2 years ago

Yeah, I thought Chris was mostly repairs and sales. Total bummer. Since this is my first machine I’ve currently got pending orders from pinball life, Planetary pinball, Marcos and eBay!!!!! Paying $8-10 for shipping each time. Just wish somebody local (hobby store) carried basic supplies. Just isn’t worth the shipping for a few white rubber rings. Guess I’ll wait until my next order…….

Most of us stash a set of rings at our houses. When the shows come around (Pin-A-Go-Go, Golden State Pinball Festival, California Extreme) vendors like Marco or Planetary usually have a set of rubbers as a variety bulk pack with different sizes. I use those packs to increase/update my stash.

Just my two cents.

#7311 2 years ago

Where are you located?

#7312 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Where are you located?

Danville, ca

#7313 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Chris doesn't sell parts, he fixes games and is a stern and jjp dealer. His parts bay is for his repairs, not for sale. Lucky enough to call Chris a friend, but I don't ask him for parts ( unless I'm desperate, then I make him dinner in exchange!)
    B

Information he'll give you for free. Parts come installed in some he fixed.

Amazingly great guy thought to be so free with his time to help the community

#7314 2 years ago

I'll jump on the Chris is a great guy bandwagon. He got a Breakshot running that others, including me, had given up fixing. Been to his place a number of times, good place to try out some of the newest games if you are interested. And he has older games for sale as well, usually in excellent condition. Not cheap if you are a bargain hunter, but games you don't have to wonder how badly hacked they might have been by the last owner. Also, like that he spends a lot of time helping Pacific Pinball Museum.

#7315 2 years ago

Besides the shout out about Chris. After 5 years on Pinside, just found this thread. Ok, I'm a little slow.

Great to find a thread devoted to Nor Cal. In Sac myself.

Also, have been debating selling a seriously in bad shape project Doodle Bug. And this seems like a good place to let some locals know about it. Backglass is a total loss, cabinet a complete repaint. Don't know if it lights up or plays. But the playfield is in decent shape given the rest of the game. Was going too, and may still, rerurb it. But it is third in line and space and time are both a bit short. So if anyone is interested in refurbishing it and not just parting it out, let me know. Would probably ask a couple hundred for it and will make a donation to Pinside if one of you take it.

#7316 2 years ago

What do you need?
    I might have it

D80A9E8C-D95E-43E6-AD5D-775CA0204840 (resized).jpegD80A9E8C-D95E-43E6-AD5D-775CA0204840 (resized).jpeg
    #7317 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Chris doesn't sell parts, he fixes games and is a stern and jjp dealer.

Ah, I didn't know that.

#7318 2 years ago

I'm over in San Ramon. You can always ping me with specific bits you might need on short notice. I burnt through a lot of my rubbers recently, but I usually have something stashed away for my maniacal experiments.

#7319 2 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

News to me if so - that would be amazing. Boy do I miss when Bay Area Amusements was in Campbell and it was a 10 minute car ride to go pick up parts!

Yes, I would go right across highway 17 from my house to Bay Area Amusements, now they are Planetary Pinball in Reno area.

#7320 2 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

What do you need?
    I might have it[quoted image]

You guys are all awesome!!!!!!!
    The situation is that I ordered a complete rubber kit for paragon from Marco. They provided a rubber diagram, but there are differences from the original manual. Very weird. So, there is one that seems too tight and another that is quite loose. I need to go home after work and confirm the sizes I need, but I think it’s one 2 in and one 2 1/2 in white. I’ll update later.
    Thank you all for being so great!
    PS is this normal to ‘play around’ with rubber sizes for a proper fit?

#7321 2 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

News to me if so - that would be amazing.

Isn't Pinball Panic down that way in Morgan Hill? Again, I'm just throwing out local names, no idea if they sell parts as well.

#7322 2 years ago

I need to go home after work and confirm the sizes I need, but I think it’s one 2 in and one 2 1/2 in white. I’ll update later.

I've got those. I sent a pm. You can come grab them.

#7323 2 years ago

PS is this normal to ‘play around’ with rubber sizes for a proper fit?

Yes absolutely - this is another reason why I buy in bulk instead of the kits. Don't get yourself down though, I started with kits too as I'm sure most other pinheads did! Eventually you'll build yourself a stock of common parts. In the meantime make some friends around you and they can get you out of a jam if your game is down until you can get parts in the mail. The community here is a great starting place!

#7324 2 years ago

I'm in Danville too...

Like ThatOneDude, I'm always available to help a fellow Pinhead who's in need with a flat rubber. Got lots of rubbers (bulbs too) to offer, in a pinch, at no cost.

#7325 2 years ago

Long shot here - if anyone has or knows of a Bally Freedom backglass for sale , lmk . I sold a buddy of mine a Freedom and it needs a glass . Almost any condition would do . In related news - I now miss Freedom and will probably buy again when a nice one comes up .

#7326 2 years ago

Throwing this out there...

I've been a collector since 92'. My/our first pinball is/was Funhouse (still have it). I currently own 2+dozen pins, and a few classic arcade games.

Recently, I've been temporarily trading games with PinBuddies, for 2-3 months or longer (EHOH / BSD / Dr Dude / Game Show / Diner)

I own about 10 system 11 pins and think I'd like to own a 90' Radical. If anyone here in Northern Calif (within an 1-2 hours of San Francisco) has a Radical and would be interested in a temporary trade (2-3 months), for something of mine... let me know.

That way, I could / would get a taste of that game and see if I'm really interested in purchasing one.

Let me know with a PM.
    Thanks!
    Kerry Richard

#7327 2 years ago

Just curious…..
    I’m looking for a second game.
    Two options locally that I’m considering are Diner and Earthshaker. Around $4,000.
    Any advice?

#7328 2 years ago

Just curious…..
    Two options locally that I’m considering are Diner and Earthshaker. Around $4,000.
    Any advice?

Both fun games. I would play both and see which one feels right. Other than that, the usual stuff applies: look at the boards in the back box, any noticeable hacks? corrosion? burnt out looking areas?.. When you play it, is there a credit dot (error) if so what is the error (could be something simple). Pull the glass and just take a good look around the playfield for wear spots, broken plastics, cracked ramps, etc (none deal breakers but factor that into the price your willing to pay). Have them lift up the playfield so you can peek underneath and look for anything problematic (anything unplugged, wires hanging, damage to the bottom of the cabinet, etc). if you're unsure about anything, ask a fellow pinhead or you could also post in the club thread for the game.

#7329 2 years ago

Just curious…..
    Any advice?

Diner's fun but being a Pat Lawler(TAF, TZ, Wonka, Dialed In, etc...) fanboy I'd choose Earthshaker.

#7330 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Both fun games. I would play both and see which one feels right. Other than that, the usual stuff applies: look at the boards in the back box, any noticeable hacks? corrosion? burnt out looking areas?.. When you play it, is there a credit dot (error) if so what is the error (could be something simple). Pull the glass and just take a good look around the playfield for wear spots, broken plastics, cracked ramps, etc (none deal breakers but factor that into the price your willing to pay). Have them lift up the playfield so you can peek underneath and look for anything problematic (anything unplugged, wires hanging, damage to the bottom of the cabinet, etc). if you're unsure about anything, ask a fellow pinhead or you could also post in the club thread for the game.

Good Advice

#7331 2 years ago

All great advice,
    But I’m struggling to find places to try games.
    I go to the flipper room and phoenix games weekly, and I’m going to the pacific pinball museum this weekend. But it’s usually either newer, more expensive, or EM games on the floor. These kinda ‘mid level’ games are difficult to find locally to play.

#7332 2 years ago

Just curious…..
    Any advice?

Both are fun. I'd grab the one in better condition (and/or plays better) as it's difficult finding pins of that vintage in good shaoe and they are difficult to restore.

#7333 2 years ago

Earthshaker all day every day. Diner isn’t bad but it isn’t great either.

#7334 2 years ago

All great advice,
    I go to the flipper room and phoenix games weekly, and I’m going to the pacific pinball museum this weekend. But it’s usually either newer, more expensive, or EM games on the floor. These kinda ‘mid level’ games are difficult to find locally to play.

Ask around, post and see if anyone has one they'd be willing to let you try. Also, don't forget about PPM in Alameda. You'll have more chances to check out more games as shows start popping up again (golden state pinball fest, etc)

EDIT: also, dont be afraid to ask the seller if you can come by and just check it out, play it, etc. take your time and bring the cash with ya, if it moves you you'll know it, if it doesnt, pass on it.

#7335 2 years ago

If Sacramento is within reach, Earthshaker is on location at Fanny Ann’s, Diner is at Dad’s Kitchen. Check Pinball Map.

#7336 2 years ago

Peeping these fellow Davis comrades posting from time to time. Represent the Republic!

#7337 2 years ago

Downsizing collection. LOTR up for sale in SF Bay Area.

Thanks for looking!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/129255

Added over 2 years ago:

Sold

#7338 2 years ago

Two options locally that I’m considering are Diner and Earthshaker.

I own both... you're welcome to come play mine.

I'm in Danville

Kerry

#7339 2 years ago

All great advice,

PPM does not have either of these games as of the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. They do have a ton of fun stuff to play though. I am heading up there with a friend on Saturday. If you see a tattooed, long hair in a black t-shirt with a black face mask say hello and you can join us for a few games.

#7340 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyder138:

PPM does not have either of these games as of the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. They do have a ton of fun stuff to play though. I am heading up there with a friend on Saturday. If you see a tattooed, long hair in a black t-shirt with a black face mask say hello and you can join us for a few games.

Awesome invite!
    I’ll be there Sunday.
    Fortunately, a super cool fellow pinsider has both, lives 10 minutes from me, and invited me over to play them both!
    Pinside rocks!!!!!!!

#7341 2 years ago

Anyone personally know Pam and Martin from pinbits? Obviously there store is done, which sucks as I thought they had the best protectors around. Just hoping they are doing ok.
    Harley D.

#7342 2 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Anyone personally know Pam and Martin from pinbits? Obviously there store is done, which sucks as I thought they had the best protectors around. Just hoping they are doing ok.
    Harley D.

Wow, that sucks. Loved their protectors.

#7343 2 years ago

That sucks, Martin and his wife made great products. Hope they are both doing OK.

#7344 2 years ago

What sizes do you need? What colors? I keep a little storage bin of new rings in a bunch of sizes so I don't have to pay shipping each time. Lots of posts and flipper rings too. I am sure a number of enthusiasts like myself end up with a pile of new extra rings accumulated over many orders. Mine are all less than 2 years old, which is when I jumped back into machines.

If it's just a few in sizes I have, I am sure we can find a place in the east bay to connect. PM me.

#7345 2 years ago

Awesome invite!
    I’ll be there Sunday.
    Fortunately, a super cool fellow pinsider has both, lives 10 minutes from me, and invited me over to play them both!
    Pinside rocks!!!!!!!

If you're referring to Kerry, I've visited him too. I had a great time, and I know you will as well.

#7346 2 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Harley D.

My understanding from mutual friends is they’re both well and working on bringing the store back eventually. Hoping for the best!

#7347 2 years ago

Well that’s great new’s thanks for the update. They have been such a asset to our small pin community and just good people.

#7348 2 years ago

Looking for a Friendship 7 if anyone has a lead, thanks!

#7349 2 years ago

I’m letting go some pins in Reno.

Jungle Lord
    Pinball Pool
    Wizard
    RZ LE soon. Not ready just yet.

#7350 2 years ago

SOLD!
    Parts - For Sale
    Used, fair condition - “I've got a populated Strange Science playfield with an intact wiring harness. I was going to use this as the basis for a new game, using a Cobrapin board, but I've got a lot of pro...”
    2022-05-02
    San Ramon, CA
    250 (OBO)
    Archived after: 3 days
    Viewed: 478 times

I've got a populated Strange Science playfield up for sale or trade. I got it to build a new machine with a cobrapin, but it's back in the list of projects.

There are 8,371 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 168.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread/page/147 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.