(Topic ID: 52291)

Nor Cal Pinheads thread

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pixelcut-export-1713510013302 (resized).png
    Concord Open 2024~2 (resized).jpg
    types-of-pfd-1_1000x (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    20240412_093502 (resized).jpg
    20240404_162405 (resized).jpg
    2845819C-043E-417B-B5A2-93291B71F359 (resized).jpeg
    20240402_141109 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141114 (resized).jpg
    20240402_141118 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.19.02?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.41?PM (resized).png
    20240301_182607 (resized).jpg
    GameOn - 1 (resized).jpeg
    20240227_221559 (resized).jpg
    There are 8,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 168.
    #6001 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

Sheesh, that would look nice next to my C37. Dueling Ribbons!

That would be sweet

#6002 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

I'd be knocking on his door.

That's exactly what I did this morning. Found his home address and drove out there....with the camera rolling I knocked on his door. Wasn't sure what to expect. He wasn't expecting me. Told him I came for my circuit boards. He said yeah, ok and went and got them. That simple. Can't tell you how relieved I feel to get two non-working boards back!

The guy is nice enough, but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. He had my boards over a month and didn't fix them. And he wouldn't even return my phone calls. No excuses. No apologies.

In the future I will be using the repair guys recommended on this site who are proven successful and timely.

#6003 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Selling a Williams Heat Wave project that needs cab repair

PM sent to my good friend who might like to deal with me!

5 hours ago

Lodi, CA

800 (OBO)

Cheddar

#6004 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

That's exactly what I did this morning. Found his home address and drove out there....with the camera rolling I knocked on his door. Wasn't sure what to expect. He wasn't expecting me. Told him I came for my circuit boards. He said yeah, ok and went and got them. That simple. Can't tell you how relieved I feel to get two non-working boards back!
    The guy is nice enough, but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. He had my boards over a month and didn't fix them. And he wouldn't even return my phone calls. No excuses. No apologies.
    In the future I will be using the repair guys recommended on this site who are proven successful and timely.

sheesh. had he done anything? was he waiting on something to come in?

#6005 3 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Awww yeah back in the hunt.

Awww......NO

One pin after selling dozens to stay alive is hardly a hunt

You however can help me with some goodwill by helping my hunting!

#6006 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

sheesh. had he done anything? was he waiting on something to come in?

He said he replaced a lot of chips but wasn't sure what else it needed. He didn't say he was waiting on anything.

#6007 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinpoor:

Awww......NO
    One pin after selling dozens to stay alive is hardly a hunt
    You however can help me with some goodwill by helping my hunting!

I shall keep my eyes peeled.

#6008 3 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

I shall keep my eyes peeled.

My eyes were not peeled back in Feb. when Izzy had just what the pin doctor ordered.
    My bad.......

#6009 3 years ago

Had been considering various games and had some major expenses come up in the past few months, so had to pass on them. Now I'm on the hunt for a Wonka LE to play with my almost six-year-old daughter, who's really liking pinball and Willy Wonka. If anyone has one they'd consider selling please let me know. Thanks.

#6010 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

What a jerk the seller is. I responded to his CL ad and asked for pics (there is only one on the CL site). He sent a link to pics. Three hours later he sends me an email and asks "Did you get the pics, or were you just trolling me?"
    That didn't even deserve a response. What a red flag. A seller to stay away from.

Yeah.... That's about right. He asked if "i was mad at him" because I would not lower the price.

#6011 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I guess things have changed in 10 years.
    Called California Amusements early June to come service my Firepower II. Sam Underwood (technician or owner, not sure which) came out and poked around and eventually removed the MPU and Driver boards to take to his shop for repair. Charged $100 for the service call (which I paid cash) and off he went with my circuit boards. Been over a month and haven't seen him since. A few times I have called to ask for an update and he tells me he's still working on them. It's been over a month now, and I have left messages last few days that I want to come pick up my unrepaired boards, but he doesn't return my phone calls.
    I thought keeping my business local would be a good thing. Not so in this case. What would you do now?

sorry to hear you had a problem. sam is a very honest and competent repair guy. He would not take someones boards. I will call him and ask what happened. good luck with the repair. Hope it works out for you.

I bought my defender pin off him many years ago. I sold him my IJ pin that I owned for about 2 hours...

#6012 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mrbill:

sorry to hear you had a problem. sam is a very honest and competent repair guy. He would not take someones boards. I will call him and ask what happened. good luck with the repair. Hope it works out for you.

Yes, call him and ask what happened. I'd be interested to hear what his excuse is/was....sort of. In a way, I don't care. I'd never use him again. I didn't want to stand at his door and have any discussion about what was going on and why he didn't return any of my phone calls. I was a little nervous to go there in the first place, and wanted to get out as soon as I got my boards back in my hands.

Maybe the first red flag was when I initially called for a service request. I left my phone message on his answering machine several times over several days before he ever returned my calls. I was about to send my boards off in the mail to one of several service guys recommended here on Pinside, but found California Amusements to be local to me here in San Jose, and according to their website, looked to be competent. And I figured I would be saving the shipping costs that I would otherwise need to pay for service out of state.

After several days of me leaving phone messages he did return my call then came to do the service call on Friday, June 5. As he was leaving with my boards (the MPU and Driver board), and $100 cash, he said he would work on them on the weekend. I expected to get a call on Monday saying they were repaired.

I didn't hear from him after the weekend, so mid week I called leaving a message asking for a repair status. I left several more calls over several more days leaving messages asking for a repair status. He eventually returned my calls, much to my relief, saying he was swamped with commercial jobs but he was working a little on my job too. Just the fact that he finally returned a call led me to believe I wasn't getting ripped off, but the expectation I had based on what he said when he left my home on June 5 was he would have them turned around in a couple days.

After a few more weeks I started calling again, leaving messages asking for a repair status. Several calls over several days and no returned calls. Finally, I got a return call and he stated he had worked on the boards, got the dead board to power up, but still wasn't fixed and wasn't sure what the problem was. I guess about a week later I started calling and leaving messages that I wanted my unrepaired boards back, and I would come get them. No return calls. Again, I am feeling sick to my stomach that this was all a scam and I was ripped off. He had my money and my boards, for a month, and wasn't returning anymore phone calls.

I think I left 3 phone call messages in the week preceding me knocking on his door asking for my boards back. By this time it had been over a month. Not really knowing who this guy was and what his real intentions were, I was afraid to go knock on his door. So it worked out I guess. I'm out $100 but at least I got my boards back. They ship out today Fedex to Chris Hibler. Everything I have read about Chris is good.

One final note: From what I have learned doing some research, if you have the test ROM's you can easily diagnose the Williams MPU board problems. Sounds simple enough. I could attempt that, but don't want to start desoldering chips on the board. Leaving that to the experts. I'm guessing Sam doesn't have the proper test ROM's, test equipment, or knowledge. I don't think he's that busy, just unqualified to do these boards as advertised. Honest? Can't say. Grade for returning phone calls? "F"

#6013 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

don't want to start desoldering chips on the board. Leaving that to the experts.

It's all about having the right tools. Get a Hakko desoldering gun . It will make you an instant expert in cleanly removing components without damaging traces.

The real skill is knowing which components to replace. (Pinside can help out there) . For equal or less than the cost to pay others, get a tool you can re-use. You'd be surprised how easily they work.

You're gonna spend it anyway, why not get something that will save you in the future?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKSLLG9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MCBdFb0XM7REE

#6014 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Get a Hakko desoldering gun .

Agree with you, it's all about having the right tools. But in this case, it's more than just a desoldering gun, and in fact, I do already own a desoldering gun!

I've done a few board repairs to my own games, early Bally and Gottlieb SS. I've found lots of help here on Pinside for that and found it immensely satisfying to DIY. But with this System 7 board, after some basic troubleshooting, it was evident that advanced skills and additional tools were necessary. I would need a better logic probe, perhaps an oscilloscope, and maybe even a ROM burner, and for sure some test ROM/ROMs.

I was skeptical I'd find the tech support I needed, found the test ROM instructions incomplete or lacking explanations for a newbie, and I guess doubted in the end it would be cost effective for me to DIY. This time I'm leaving it to the expert, albeit he's half way across the country. Just looking forward to getting my game up and running again.

#6015 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

It's all about having the right tools. Get a Hakko desoldering gun . It will make you an instant expert in cleanly removing components without damaging traces.
    The real skill is knowing which components to replace. (Pinside can help out there) . For equal or less than the cost to pay others, get a tool you can re-use. You'd be surprised how easily they work.
    You're gonna spend it anyway, why not get something that will save you in the future?
    amazon.com link »

Chris Hibler has been very good to me. Good call. Sorry to hear about the bad local experience.

#6016 3 years ago

Here is a better photo for you guys to chew on.
    Don't forget to tell all your friend to check out https://pinballpickers.com

IMG_9885 (resized).jpgIMG_9885 (resized).jpg
    #6017 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballguy:

Don't forget to tell all your friend to check out https://pinballpickers.com[quoted image]

I see on your website you still show the WPT you bought from me which you immediately posted for sale for thousands more.

It's funny because you didn't even bother to reset the scores when you posted the pics. Pretty lazy move

My first name is still clearly visible on the DMD high score in one of the pictures of the game.

- Mitch
    21 (resized).jpg21 (resized).jpg

#6018 3 years ago

Hold up a sec, where's my popcorn

#6020 3 years ago
    B47BEF95-AFD5-4419-9D61-FB0AA3DA15CF (resized).jpegB47BEF95-AFD5-4419-9D61-FB0AA3DA15CF (resized).jpeg
    #6021 3 years ago

Could throw in a set of new legs at that price.

#6022 3 years ago

I'm confused. Does adding chrome armor not double the value?

#6023 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm confused. Does adding chrome armor not double the value?

I believe its only 1.25x value added. The .75 comes from falsely claiming its a prototype

#6024 3 years ago

On Antiques Roadshow you don’t wanna fuck with the patina

#6025 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

I believe its only 1.25x value added. The .75 comes from falsely claiming its a prototype

LOL

And when it doesn't sell raise the price! That'll show 'em.

#6026 3 years ago

LOL
    And when it doesn't sell raise the price! That'll show 'em.

Someone did that to me on eBay. I made an offer and seller was like “no sorry now I must raise the price” (from $1599 to $1999) so I followed by increasing my offer by a penny. Every time he declined, I raised it by a penny. That was some fun trolling!

#6027 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballguy:

Don't forget to tell all your friend to check out https://pinballpickers.com[quoted image]

He hounded me over 2 days to "buy something" last year when I casually asked about a price. I think the following tells you all you need to know about this guy:

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #6028 3 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

I think the following tells you all you need to know about this guy:

I think this is more telling...go read the reviews for "Mallory". Nobody likes this guy!!!
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 6.37.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-15 at 6.37.23 PM (resized).png

#6029 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I think this is more telling...go read the reviews for "Mallory". Nobody likes this guy!!!
    [quoted image]

Pop quiz! Who can name the other 2 local a-hole sellers?

Hint: Both have been banned from Pinside

#6030 3 years ago

I’d rather not soil my mouth.

#6031 3 years ago

I'll play. Whitney aka (whitey). Its hard to forget a guy who's been a dick the whole time you've known of him.
    Gorf- ya, well, that story to long to go into. Just sitting in his driveway to buy machine and he has a lot of talk and no sale.

#6032 3 years ago

Gorf for sure.

Sean Casey. Anybody?

#6033 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I'll play. Whitney aka (whitey). Its hard to forget a guy who's been a dick the whole time you've known of him.
    Gorf- ya, well, that story to long to go into. Just sitting in his driveway to buy machine and he has a lot of talk and no sale.

I had no idea their odiousness wafted all the way to So Cal. LOL

#6034 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinpoor:

Gorf for sure.
    Sean Casey. Anybody?

Sean is a nice guy from my experience. Polite and helpful. Used to be a big flipper, but I haven't seen his ads in a while. Have people had a bad experience with him?

#6035 3 years ago

Sean is a nice guy from my experience. Polite and helpful. Used to be a big flipper, but I haven't seen his ads in a while. Have people had a bad experience with him?

When I was just getting into pinball Sean gave me a couple boxes of used parts and assemblies. I've been picking parts off if them for years. He always impressed me as a decent guy.

#6036 3 years ago

He was selling a lot of parts and game recently. Sounds like he might be getting out of the business. He gave me a transistor on a Sunday when I blew up my favorite game - was nice of him to do that for a stranger.

#6037 3 years ago

I've never bought a game from him as his prices always seemed slightly above market, but then again he did offer a warranty with his games - I don't need it myself but for someone new to the hobby that's not a bad thing. And me and a friend needed some transistors to get a game up and running in a hurry and it's not like you can walk in to Fry's these days and pick up what you need - Sean had some for us, free of charge. So yeah, I think he's a good guy.

That said, there were some ads on CL a month or two ago and it looks like maybe he got out of the hobby completely - he was selling all his spare parts. Boards, mechs, plastics, LEDs, playfields, just a whole lot of stuff. Games too I think. Not sure what happened with him. UPDATE: Nope see his response below, he was just selling parts.

#6038 3 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

He was selling a lot of parts and game recently. Sounds like he might be getting out of the business. He gave me a transistor on a Sunday when I blew up my favorite game - was nice of him to do that for a stranger.

Hi, friend! I swear we didn't coordinate posting that story at exactly the same time - LOL.

#6039 3 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

Hi, friend! I swear we didn't coordinate posting that story at exactly the same time - LOL.

What are the odds?

#6040 3 years ago

For those wondering, I'm still around in the hobby. I'm not selling much lately except for lots of boards and other parts. If you're looking for parts locally, feel free to email me at sean at eapinball dot com.

Sean

#6041 3 years ago

Had him lie to a seller to get a cheap game i was on the way to get. Gave a sob bs story, and seller decided to sell to him instead. Found out when i got there. Mind you, i arrived there before he did, had money, and game was still there.

#6042 3 years ago

I have a Tommy that was missing some pieces from the blinder assembly. Sean was kind enough to open his game up for me and remove the apron. As a result, the ipdb now has photos of the Tommy blinder assembly and I was able to fabricate the parts needed to get mine working.

#6043 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Had him lie to a seller to get a cheap game i was on the way to get. Gave a sob bs story, and seller decided to sell to him instead. Found out when i got there. Mind you, i arrived there before he did, had money, and game was still there.

If you are referring to me, I call BS.

#6044 3 years ago
    Quoted from scasey:

I have to back dsuperbee. I guess it’s the difference in attitudes between being in a hobby and running a business. You did something similar to me.

#6045 3 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

I have to back dsuperbee. I guess it’s the difference in attitudes between being in a hobby and running a business. You did something similar to me.

You are saying that I lied to a seller to get a game, when you were on your way. It did not happen, not by me. I am not calling anyone a liar here, but I know my dealings.

#6046 3 years ago

I have had many dealings with Sean. He's always been a stand up guy to me.

#6047 3 years ago
    Quoted from scasey:

Well I didn't get the TZ, and the next day you had it for sale. Same exact game. I don't know why the seller would lie to me.

Last from me on the subject. This happened a long time ago 12 or 13 years ago.

#6048 3 years ago
    Quoted from scasey:

You are saying that I lied to a seller to get a game, when you were on your way. It did not happen, not by me. I am not calling anyone a liar here, but I know my dealings.

But really, you kind of are.

Brian and Steve are both stand up guys and have absolutely no reason to lie about you.

#6049 3 years ago

I’m not calling anyone a liar, as that would violate the Pinside rules against personal attacks. I do question those that tell the seller anything/everything necessary to acquire the game, including harassment.

#6050 3 years ago
    C7C7AFB7-D486-4475-89FB-56D796F949C1 (resized).pngC7C7AFB7-D486-4475-89FB-56D796F949C1 (resized).png
    There are 8,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 168.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread/page/121?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.