23E46120-733B-4409-97D4-B896896CC2F1.gif
RT (resized).jpg
giphy (7).gif
641905F9-F706-4B09-83DF-42F1BEDBB758 (resized).png
giphy (6).gif
8F8FDD9F-B5B9-439A-A2F6-6FEC141375BC (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#152 1 year ago
Quoted from emguy:

Here's the opinion of our country's most insightful movie reviewer (if you're in America, that is):
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-jordan-peeles-nope-is-a-slow-dull-and-repetitive-disappointment

Nailed it!

#153 1 year ago

Just saw The Black Phone. Great movie.

#154 1 year ago

I avoided this thread for fear of spoilers.

Ice you could have saved me money but I prob wouldn’t have believed it.

Just saw this movie - it is absolutely TERRIBLE. One of the worst I’ve seen in a long long time and I love this guys movies. So disappointed.

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I avoided this thread for fear of spoilers.
Ice you could have saved me money but I prob wouldn’t have believed it.
Just saw this movie - it is absolutely TERRIBLE. One of the worst I’ve seen in a long long time and I love this guys movies. So disappointed.

Tried to warn you brother!

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Excellent, I need another movie to forget this one!

#157 1 year ago

I thought Get Out was great. I thought Us sucked and was incredibly dumb. Intrigued now to check this one out!

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I really want to see that, but it already left my local theater. Guess I'll have to settle for streaming.

#159 1 year ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

I can see your point, however, what was with the slipper? The camera specifically focused on it before moving on.

The walking dead guy has it in his shrine - I *think* it just showed his obsession with the accident and that lady (you know the one) and his willingness to live on the edge, which is why he felt ok with putting all those people in that situation. Not sure it clicked, but I think that’s why

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I really want to see that, but it already left my local theater. Guess I'll have to settle for streaming.

You can rent it on Amazon for $20. Around where I live that’s a bargain - our family costs close to $100 to hit the theater, BEFORE popcorn.

#161 1 year ago

Can someone ruin the end and give spoilers so I can read it and drain the thread?

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Can someone ruin the end and give spoilers so I can read it and drain the thread?

There are end credits and then the lights come up.

#163 1 year ago

Ice, try the newer movie “Men”. I think it would give your movie a run for the money

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Ice, try the newer movie “Men”. I think it would give your movie a run for the money

Lmao. We saw that too. It’s actually funny to see just to have something to talk about.

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Lol. If that’s true at least MEN only has a run time of 1 hr 40 min so the torture ends sooner

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

The ending was the final blow of jaw dropping stupid. Think he was going for comedy there.

Should have at least showed them on Oprah!

#167 1 year ago

Here is my problem with this (and I will admit to being a creative type).

At least this guy has the ability to raise some big money to try something different and fall on his face. At this point that is pretty rare.

He's trying at least? The easiest thing in the world is to pander and do some bullshit, takes some balls to not do that.

I'd rather see someone take a chance and fail miserably than any remake or cookie cutter superhero movie or fast and furious 52 or whatever.

Since allot of us are the same age I would look at it like BMX or skateboard tricks.

In the olden days when your friend tried some stupid trick and wiped out and knocked half their teeth out you wouldn't say they sucked. You would say holy shit that was awesome that you even tried that and jacked yourself up.

I don't care if this dude makes the shittiest movie I've seen all year I will go see it because at least he is trying. I'll see it twice before I give a dime to Tom Cruise for rehashing 30 + years ago.

You can shit on him all you want, end result is you get another year of garbage recycled cash grabs and nothing new.

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

At least this guy has the ability to raise some big money to try something different and fall on his face. At this point that is pretty rare.
He's trying at least? The easiest thing in the world is to pander and do some bullshit, takes some balls to not do that.
I'd rather see someone take a chance and fail miserably than any remake or cookie cutter superhero movie or fast and furious 52 or whatever.
Since allot of us are the same age I would look at it like BMX or skateboard tricks.
In the olden days when your friend tried some stupid trick and wiped out and knocked half their teeth out you wouldn't say they sucked. You would say holy shit that was awesome that you even tried that and jacked yourself up.
I don't care if this dude makes the shittiest movie I've seen all year I will go see it because at least he is trying. I'll see it twice before I give a dime to Tom Cruise for rehashing 30 + years ago.
You can shit on him all you want, end result is you get another year of garbage recycled cash grabs and nothing new.

It's rare for movies to take a chance any more - most of the chances being taken are on TV now. For example, I'm just about to finish this show called "The Old Man" which is AMAZING. And it stars Jeff Bridges, who is like 72 years old. Very much *not* The Dude in this show.

Also, I wouldn't rule out Maverick - I absolutely can not *STAND* Tom Cruise, but I have yet to have a single person tell me they didn't 100% love Top Gun 2. Half those people had never even seen the first one.

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, I wouldn't rule out Maverick - I absolutely can not *STAND* Tom Cruise, but I have yet to have a single person tell me they didn't 100% love Top Gun 2. Half those people had never even seen the first one.

It's fun, and nostalgic for people who were kids 35 years ago and watched the first one. It's also absolutely moronic in every way, makes almost zero sense, and contains zero character development or in fact anything interesting about anybody. I also thought it was kind of weird how they made Maverick some omnipotent superhero who is absolutely invincible and godlike, it kind of removed any sense of real danger or tension from the movie. The character's vulnerability was part of what makes the first one at least a little interesting.

It's a breezy, nostalgic summer popcorn movie that aside from the brief scene with Val Kilmer you'll pretty much forget instantly. I have to question the taste of anybody who believes it's anything more. I'd also say it's pretty interesting that the women from the first movie were deemed too old and/or fat to be called for even a cameo for this one, but they still put Val Kilmer in the movie despite the fact that he's even more disfigured from age and bad surgery than Meg Ryan, and has a fucking hole in his neck. Come on, even the most unwoke among you has to recognize that's kind of ridiculous!

#170 1 year ago

The problem is just because you do it, doesn't mean it is good at all or anyone has to like it. As long as he takes it in stride and doesn't pull the 'those people have no taste and don't know real talent' card he should be fine. There's a reason that rehashes are a thing. People have shown time and again they don't come out for things they don't know or are different. Many MANY movies bombed in the box office and didn't become popular or cult until much later.

Frankly, the way things are today, I have little desire to go to the theater anymore, and over time, this will become more the norm for everyone. Movie companies NEED to get passed the whole box office thing if they want to continue to make money.

#171 1 year ago

To each their own, but I saw Nope yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

#172 1 year ago

I get what you are saying and agree that at least he put it out there and tried something different.

It’s still a slow, incoherent crap movie imo

And to knock Top Gun over this garbage? You are in the extreme minority Elvis which is your right, I don’t knock people for what they like or don’t

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Movie companies NEED to get past the whole box office thing if they want to continue to make money.

Sorry, what? Movie companies shouldn’t be worried about the box office if they want to make money?

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sorry, what? Movie companies shouldn’t be worried about the box office if they want to make money?

Not sure that came out right?

It’s partly why Netflix is losing subs and the stock has gotten destroyed.

They waste so much $$$ on garbage programming. Woke BS and overpaying for crap

Shows like Stranger Things save em

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Actual movie theater releases, not the 'box office' as in the take. They are trying to claw back from something that was already dying prior to the pandemic. Movies cost more to make in general, but less people are going to the movies because there are tons of other forms of entertainment to give their attention to which is in stark contrast to 50 years ago. Yes there are the record breaking blockbusters but they are not the norm - and those tend to be those 'big/stupid/action' movies everyone claims to hate. Granted - these days I assume "I - or most of the pinside crowd" are not who most movies are marketed towards, but I can't say if younger generations still go to the movies like we did.

They don't really want streaming to be the answer because they feel it cheapens the vision and relegates it to a smaller spectacle and of course, piracy. They have less control over how it is delivered. The thing as I point out above, how people engage media has evolved as technology has evolved. It may be a ways off yet, but the theater as a primary delivery of film is on its way out unless they change their views. Just my opinion.

#176 1 year ago

As long as people like to leave the house, and especially go on dates, theaters aren't going anywhere.

I would agree for older folks (like most of us) the theater has lost its luster a long time ago, especially as our TVs and sound systems have grown and our tolerance for other humans has shrunk. I don't go to movies too often - honestly, for a spectacle moron movie like Top Gun, it's a pretty good choice, cause it's not like you are going to miss any important dialogue, character development, or plot points because someone is talking or their cell phone is buzzing.

But most of the time most of us are gonna be happier waiting to see it at home. I have no problem with the current system...wait a short period of time, see it at home if you can't handle going to the theater any more.

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t knock people for what they like or don’t

Uhhhhh, for the entire first half of this thread you were knocking everyone who liked this movie, calling them liars.

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Granted - these days I assume "I - or most of the pinside crowd" are not who most movies are marketed towards, but I can't say if younger generations still go to the movies like we did.
They don't really want streaming to be the answer because they feel it cheapens the vision and relegates it to a smaller spectacle and of course, piracy. They have less control over how it is delivered. The thing as I point out above, how people engage media has evolved as technology has evolved. It may be a ways off yet, but the theater as a primary delivery of film is on its way out unless they change their views. Just my opinion.

Gotcha, now I get what you mean. I disagree that the theater is going away - I think it will evolve, but not disappear. As you stated, we aren't the target audience so much anymore. The pandemic caused a huge change in their approach, but it also proved that streaming doesn't really take away revenue from the first 1-2 weeks of a film opening. That's all *any* movie gets before it is declared a failure, and that's been the case for at least a decade. Because films can get distributed digitally anywhere in the world now, the studios just sell film rights internationally, and even the 'flops' are paid for before they're released. It's crazy.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me however, is the huge dive-off-a-cliff the home theater industry has taken. It's like that entire business just disappeared overnight. People aren't building home theaters as much any longer (all evidence to the contrary on this site, I know), and I don't know what to make of that. We're streaming more and more, but mostly on our crappy phones and tablets?

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Jordan Peele films are all really, really bad. I couldn't even get through his first movie. Yet they all get great reviews (the NY Post just said Nope is terrific). Go figure...

I thought Keanu had some very funny moments in it. I'll probably enjoy Nope too.

#180 1 year ago

Also, Get Out was fantastic. Us was not so good, but I did stick through it to the terrible ending...

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I thought Keanu had some very funny moments in it. I'll probably enjoy Nope too.

That movie was hilarious. Great suburban dad stuff.

And some people here say they don’t make movies for white people. george fucking Michael!

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That movie was hilarious. Great suburban dad stuff.
And some people here say they don’t make movies for white people. george fucking Michael!

Yeah, sitting in the van waiting for the drug deal to go down. He had them totally convinced how awesome George Michael was. And Sarah Michelle Gellar was batshit crazy. And "HOLY SHIT". LOL

"Wordness to the Turdness"

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Uhhhhh, for the entire first half of this thread you were knocking everyone who liked this movie, calling them liars.

True. The horribleness was still very fresh in my mind. It’s hard to imagine anyone can say they truthfully liked this movie. I still don’t believe it ….

But, there are definitely different strokes for some people. They like what they like.

When Elvis says he hates Top Gun type movies? There is def a minority group out there that could like slow, incoherent movies.

Let’s see how NOPE does at the box office next week now that the word is out.

#184 1 year ago

Saw it in Imax of all things.

Slow movie but yah if you don't bother with the subtext of it all you will have no idea what you are looking at.

Did I think it was good? not really but I'll take it over any superhero movies or dipshit action thing where stuff blown up real good.

#185 1 year ago

Saw it in Imax of all things.
Slow movie but yah if you don't bother with the subtext of it all you will have no idea what you are looking at.
Did I think it was good? not really but I'll take it over any superhero movies or dipshit action thing where stuff blown up real good.

Bad is bad Elvis. How did you like that ending?

#186 1 year ago

My daughters saw it last night.
They like almost everything, but not this.

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Bad is bad Elvis. How did you like that ending?

I'd have to watch it again (but I probably wont).

The end is open to interpretation but by then I was done with it... like I said its slow and too long. It didn't feel like it went anywhere.

I wouldn't call it bad.... entertaining? not really but I don't regret going.

#188 1 year ago

I'd have to watch it again (but I probably wont).
The end is open to interpretation but by then I was done with it... like I said its slow and too long. It didn't feel like it went anywhere.
I wouldn't call it bad.... entertaining? not really but I don't regret going.

You said it brother, “slow, too long and went nowhere”.

What’s to like?

#189 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You said it brother, “slow, too long and went nowhere”.
What’s to like?

Some cool visual moments and like I said earlier at least he is trying.

I can do without allot of the subtext stuff but it is better than zero thought.

In a way this kind of swing and miss is over thought and forgets to be entertaining.

If it makes you feel better if I get bored enough one day I'll go see Maverick, there isn't much else to see out now anyways.

#190 1 year ago

Some cool visual moments and like I said earlier at least he is trying.
I can do without allot of the subtext stuff but it is better than zero thought.
In a way this kind of swing and miss is over thought and forgets to be entertaining.
If it makes you feel better if I get bored enough one day I'll go see Maverick, there isn't much else to see out now anyways.

Check out Maverick and see what you think

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Check out Maverick and see what you think

Lol

He’s already seen top gun. It’s the same movie, just even dumber. And slightly less homoerotic.

#192 1 year ago

I’m dying To know what the general Pinside thread commenters think actually IS the subtext. It took me a couple days thinking about the movie

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lol
He’s already seen top gun. It’s the same movie, just even dumber. And slightly less homoerotic.

The new one is less homoerotic and its called Maverick?

#194 1 year ago

The new one is less homoerotic and its called Maverick?

They found a way.

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's fun, and nostalgic for people who were kids 35 years ago and watched the first one. It's also absolutely moronic in every way, makes almost zero sense, and contains zero character development or in fact anything interesting about anybody. I also thought it was kind of weird how they made Maverick some omnipotent superhero who is absolutely invincible and godlike, it kind of removed any sense of real danger or tension from the movie. The character's vulnerability was part of what makes the first one at least a little interesting.
It's a breezy, nostalgic summer popcorn movie that aside from the brief scene with Val Kilmer you'll pretty much forget instantly. I have to question the taste of anybody who believes it's anything more.

This. Maverick reminds me of some of the B level Stallone and Van Damme movies I saw growing up. You go to see them for the spectacle and nothing more. I paid the ticket price to Maverick to see jets doing some rad stunts. I enjoyed those few hours but will never care to see the movie again. A fun time, yes, but a good movie? No.

#196 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m dying To know what the general Pinside thread commenters think actually IS the subtext. It took me a couple days thinking about the movie

Animal exploitation. That was my takeaway, at least.

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Animal exploitation. That was my takeaway, at least.

A ton of race relations stuff.. its Jordan Peele for fuckssake.

You can just look online for peoples take on it... too much work to list even half of it.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They found a way.

I don't know.. Maverick sounds like a bar with no ladies night if you know what I mean.

#199 1 year ago

I think I love the fact that I’ve never heard of this movie, nope. ? Or many other movies mentioned in this thread. Maybe it’s my super ability to systematically ignore almost all advertising. I need to teach my kids how to do this…

#200 1 year ago

I haven't seen Nope, so can't comment on it. However the Maverick slander needs to stop. Maverick knows exactly what it needs to be as a film.

Planes going fast, explosions, USA, mustaches, and lots of nostalgia. It checks all those boxes and was awesome. If Miles Teller makes you question your sexuality that sounds like a personal issue to work through.

In all seriousness, it's a dumb fun action movie. Let people enjoy it. Not everything needs to be art house cinema with a message.

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nope-a-psa-announcement-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.