23E46120-733B-4409-97D4-B896896CC2F1.gif
RT (resized).jpg
giphy (7).gif
641905F9-F706-4B09-83DF-42F1BEDBB758 (resized).png
giphy (6).gif
8F8FDD9F-B5B9-439A-A2F6-6FEC141375BC (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I thought Get Out was okay.
I only thought Us was meh.

Interesting I was the opposite. Get Out was incredibly predictable for me. It was meh. I actually like Us. Was a decent movie. I was planning on seeing Nope. Have to chat and see what others think.

If you want to see a great summer feel good movie, see Maverick. Excellent.

#52 1 year ago

Got an 83% Fresh on Rottentomatoes, so you’re in the minority so far

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Got an 83% Fresh on Rottentomatoes, so you’re in the minority so far

Go see it. It’s fake news.

To top it off it’s a brutal 2 hrs and 11 minutes.

It’s not even 90 minutes bad

#54 1 year ago

iceman has been right about a few things, including PB Alien so he probably is right about this flick.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

iceman has been right about a few things, including PB Alien so he probably is right.

Maybe I’ve lowered expectations far enough of that’s possible?

Unlike a pinball machine it only cost a few bucks to find out

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How is it “Fake News” if it’s an aggregate of hundreds of reviews?

You may not have liked it (and that’s fine), but don’t insinuate that no one will. It’s obvious that quite a few enjoyed the movie (and if you go into it thinking it’s supposed to be a prototypical horror/scifi flick, then you went in with the wrong mindset)

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

[quoted image]

Quoted from Zablon:

He's been pretty upfront that he's making movies for black people, not white people.

Uhhhh, what. Nowhere will you find a quote where Peele has ever even insinuated this.

Us middle-aged white guys need to get over the fact that just because the leads of a movie are black, and the creator is black, doesn’t mean it was “made for black people” or “woke”.

Jesus-fucking-Christ the things that come out some of y’alls mouth…

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

How is it “Fake News” if it’s an aggregate of hundreds of reviews?
You may not have liked it (and that’s fine), but don’t insinuate that no one will. It’s obvious that quite a few enjoyed the movie (and if you go into it thinking it’s supposed to be a prototypical horror/scifi flick, then you went in with the wrong mindset)

Go see it yourself. I don’t see how anyone liked it. Half the theatre walked out early.

You might be one of those different type of people

I’m saying those people are LYING on the reviews. That’s my opinion whether you like it or not. Go make up your own mind. I dare you to see it.

Whatever kind of flick it was supposed to be it SUCKED and the trailer made it seem like a sci/fi horror flick.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Go see it yourself. I don’t see how anyone liked it. Half the theatre walked out early.
You might be one of those different type of people
Whatever kind of flick it was supposed to be it SUCKED and the trailer made it seem like a sci/fi horror flick.

Dude, enough with the hyperbole. “Half the theater walked out”. I worked at a theater all througout high school and that’s not something that ever happened. Just say you didn’t like it and move on. Exagerrating to that extreme makes you look silly.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Dude, enough with the hyperbole. “Half the theater walked out”. I worked at a theater all througout high school and that’s not something that ever happened. Just say you didn’t like it and move on. Exagerrating to that extreme makes you look silly.

Get over yourself dude! There wasn’t that many people to begin with. Sorry that triggers you

I didn’t use a counter as they were streaming out.

#61 1 year ago

I love how these convos go.

Person 1 “I saw the movie and it sucked… go see for yourself”

Internet: “I haven’t seen it yet but it doesn’t suck, I’m going to defend it as the greatest movie ever made and you’re just a racist. Actually I don’t need to see it. I know it’s awesome because of reviews. You have to like it or you’re literally Hitler!”

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m saying those people are LYING on the reviews. That’s my opinion whether you like it or not.

So, basically what you’re saying is that because you didn’t like the movie that means no one else can have a differing opinion, and if they do, they’re lying?

Ummm…okay.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Uhhhh, what. Nowhere will you find a quote where Peele has ever even insinuated this.
Us middle-aged white guys need to get over the fact that just because the leads of a movie are black, and the creator is black, doesn’t mean it was “made for black people” or “woke”.

641905F9-F706-4B09-83DF-42F1BEDBB758 (resized).png641905F9-F706-4B09-83DF-42F1BEDBB758 (resized).png
#64 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

I literally watched the video of him saying it. It wasn't meant racist from him or me. I'll see if I can find it. Maybe not get yourself triggered so much.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

Meagan Navarro of Bloody Disgusting gave it 4 out of 5 skulls, and I usually agree with her recommendations. I’m going to see it with tempered expectations.
Peele is becoming very much like Shyamalan

I think the Shyamalan comparison is apt here, as far as him now having to live up to these expectations. I suspect it will pass though. Plus Peele was on Twitter saying John Carpenter is his favorite horror director of all time, and who’s gonna argue with that?

I read a bunch of reviews and they seem to imply the ending doesn’t quite stick, but the vast majority are very positive. I’d have to agree that many reviewers anticipated some next layer of commentary which either doesn’t exist, or isn’t clear enough to them. It WAS made pretty clear it’s an homage to vintage b-movies (there are a bunch of Easter eggs in the trailer), so maybe it’s all up there on the screen. Will find out at 7 tonight!

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

So, basically what you’re saying is that because you didn’t like the movie that means no one else can have a differing opinion, and if they do, they’re lying?
Ummm…okay.

I really don’t give a F whether you like it or not. And yes it was so bad that I would suspect that you were lying if you said that you did.

Then again, “Austin is weird”. I know

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Internet: “I haven’t seen it yet but it doesn’t suck, I’m going to defend it as the greatest movie ever made and you’re just a racist. Actually I don’t need to see it. I know it’s awesome because of reviews. You have to like it or you’re literally Hitler!”

Actually,

Where does that article say that it’s made for black people and not white people?

Like I said earlier, having a black creator and a black lead / cast does not mean it was “made for black people”.

Shit, that’s like saying LORD OF THE RINGS was basically made for white people since the entire cast was white and the creator is white.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Actually,

Where does he say anywhere that it’s made for black people and not white people?
Like I said earlier, having a black creator and a black cast does not mean it was “made for black people”.
Shit, that’s like saying LORD OF THE RINGS was basically made for white people.

Are you for real? Zablon will post it.

I didn’t even realize who it was going into it until after now.

Let’s keep the discussion on the movie itself.

The ending was laughable. The only reason I stayed to see if there was some redeeming entertainment value.

B movie level? Boil it down to an 1 hr and maybe.

I’d rather take an ass whipping than sit through that

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Actually,

Where does he say anywhere that it’s made for black people and not white people?
Like I said earlier, having a black creator and a black cast does not mean it was “made for black people”.
Shit, that’s like saying LORD OF THE RINGS was basically made for white people.

Fair enough with that distinction, but you are still getting overly worked up over it. He was pointing out that there are enough movies from a white perspective, he was making movies from a black perspective. The lead thing was interesting though.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

giphy (7).gifgiphy (7).gif
#72 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Fair enough with that distinction, but you are still getting overly worked up over it. He was pointing out that there are enough movies from a white perspective, he was making movies from a black perspective. The lead thing was interesting though.

EXACTLY my point. Just because we’re seeing a movie from a black person’s perspective doesn’t mean the movie was “made for black people”.

People need to get over the fact that a movie with black leads and a black creator means it was made for black people. Hell, of that’s the case then 90% of all content made today is made specifically for white people.

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

The dude literally said that people who saw and it and said they liked it are lying.

#74 1 year ago

I'm going to step out on a limb and say there's no way that 50% of a texas audience managed to get up out of their oversized theater seats without at least a 2 hour break.

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It WAS made pretty clear it’s an homage to vintage b-movies (there are a bunch of Easter eggs in the trailer), so maybe it’s all up there on the screen.

This is a great point. People come thinking they are seeing the next Independence Day and they get a Mars Attacks or Tremors.

Edit: Ok, so my idea of “vintage” is a little skewed.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

This is a great point. People come thinking they are seeing the next Independence Day and they get a Mars Attacks or Tremors. (My idea if vintage is a bit different lol)

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:Got an 83% Fresh on Rottentomatoes, so you’re in the minority so far

Another guy spouting off about RoTtEn ToMaToEs again. Look at this chart graphing RT average reviews over time. WOW! I'm so excited to be living in the golden age of cinema right now! Look, its a fine site, I read it often. Anything you see on there should be taken with a grain of salt.

RT (resized).jpgRT (resized).jpg
#78 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

This is a great point. People come thinking they are seeing the next Independence Day and they get a Mars Attacks or Tremors.

Tremors appears to be a perfect comparison. I love that movie LOL! I was thinking more like Earth vs the Flying Saucers, or Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the Kevin McCarthy one). Tremors is perfect

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Tremors appears to be a perfect comparison. I love that movie LOL! I was thinking more like Earth vs the Flying Saucers, or Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the Kevin McCarthy one). Tremors is perfect

I was working at the theater when MARS ATTACKS! released and it was this exactly. Such a great movie, but coming off INDEPENDENCE DAY people seemed to be livid coming out the theater because they expected some scifi blockbuster instead of a satire/political commentary.

#80 1 year ago

Just in case the movie is indeed a flop, I decided I will order a medium popcorn, some buffalo wings, a large diet coke w/ dr pepper on top, a pepperoni pizza, and a double IPA . I booked the recliner seat with a waiter.
At least I will sleep good tonight.

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

To top it off it’s a brutal 2 hrs and 11 minutes.
It’s not even 90 minutes bad

In your opinion.Different strokes.

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from jhanley:

In your opinion.Different strokes.

Did you not read what the guy wrote earlier? He said that if you say you liked it then you’re lying. Apparently no one is allowed to have a different opinion.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

You may not have liked it (and that’s fine), but don’t insinuate that no one will.

Textbook lack of empathy. How could anyone possibly like something I don't?!?

Millions of people bought Creed records. Mystery to me, more power to 'em.

#84 1 year ago

Peel needs to do a remake of the last dragon.

#85 1 year ago
23E46120-733B-4409-97D4-B896896CC2F1.gif23E46120-733B-4409-97D4-B896896CC2F1.gif
#86 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I'm going to step out on a limb and say there's no way that 50% of a texas audience managed to get up out of their oversized theater seats without at least a 2 hour break.

They went out in groups. And didn’t come back. I went to the bathroom and came back.

We were all kind of laughing about it as it was happening.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Textbook lack of empathy. How could anyone possibly like something I don't?!?
Millions of people bought Creed records. Mystery to me, more power to 'em.

It’s a movie Dude, that’s it, and it’s so bad I don’t see how you could like it. Go see it for yourself.

You want to make it into something more by throwing the insult that’s ok. That’s you. I don’t like you either.

As for “empathy” coming from you. Lmao

#88 1 year ago

even 0% movies have their fans. That's how entertainment works.

#89 1 year ago

I enjoyed Get Out,Us was ok .

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#90 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I enjoyed Get Out,Us was ok .
[quoted image][quoted image]

Me too. Didn’t see US

#91 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Go see it for yourself.

I'll probably see it three years from now, some night when I'm bored and browsing the streaming box.

Quoted from iceman44:

You want to make it into something more by throwing the insult that’s ok. That’s you. I don’t like you either.

I don't know you well enough to dislike you. I criticized a viewpoint as not showing empathy. If that feels like an insult, so be it.

Hard to imagine, but some people enjoy things that don't play well in Boerne, Texas. Should I start a thread about how in the hell could anyone watch the rodeo?

#92 1 year ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Interesting I was the opposite. Get Out was incredibly predictable for me. It was meh. I actually like Us. Was a decent movie. I was planning on seeing Nope. Have to chat and see what others think.
If you want to see a great summer feel good movie, see Maverick. Excellent.

Both were meh..... - but everyone's expectations have been lowered over the years.

His Twilight Zone series sucked too. How do you fuck up Nightmare at 20,000 feet? Peele did.

Movies are dead (mostly).

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Did you not read what the guy wrote earlier? He said that if you say you liked it then you’re lying. Apparently no one is allowed to have a different opinion.

OH MY GOD HE SAID THAT?!!!!!!!!

C1D6AC9B-69EE-41B5-A833-E30956841088.gifC1D6AC9B-69EE-41B5-A833-E30956841088.gif58AD4774-FD55-4176-BEA9-F3EECF5D8804.gif58AD4774-FD55-4176-BEA9-F3EECF5D8804.gif6AFB555D-2C11-4848-842F-CCFDEDF77B4B.gif6AFB555D-2C11-4848-842F-CCFDEDF77B4B.gif
#94 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

OH MY GOD HE SAID THAT?!!!!!!!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]</blockquote

OH MY GOD HE SAID THAT?!!!!!!!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are you, like, 12 years old? Seems like something my middle school students would respond with, not a grown adult.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'll probably see it three years from now, some night when I'm bored and browsing the streaming box.

I don't know you well enough to dislike you. I criticized a viewpoint as not showing empathy. If that feels like an insult, so be it.
Hard to imagine, but some people enjoy things that don't play well in Boerne, Texas. Should I start a thread about how in the hell could anyone watch the rodeo?

You don’t really know me but you are part of the mini mob group as you continue to display. And you aren’t even gonna go see it. Imagine that. Why weigh in?

That’s ok. We don’t have to like each other.

Crap is crap no matter where you live. And YOU want to make it about a rodeo? The black leads are cowboys! Lol

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s a movie Dude, that’s it, and it’s so bad I don’t see how you could like it. Go see it for yourself.
As for “empathy” coming from you. Lmao

Nobody is having issue with the fact that you didn’t like it; the contention is coming from the fact that you’re saying anyone else who liked it is lying.

It’s like a preschool level of a conversation when you’re having to explain that people have differing opinions.

Like, we shouldn’t be having that conversation at the adult level.

I respect your opinion that you didn’t like it, but don’t call others liars for saying that they did.

#97 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Nobody is having issue with the fact that you didn’t like it; the contention is coming from the fact that you’re saying anyone else who liked it is lying.
It’s like a preschool level of a conversation when you’re having to explain that people have differing opinions.
Like, we shouldn’t be having that conversation at the adult level.
I respect your opinion that you didn’t like it, but don’t call others liars for saying that they did.

Go see the movie. That’s it

It’s my opinion after seeing it, you can’t like it. But whatever floats your boat.

Lmk

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Go see the movie. That’s it
It’s my opinion after seeing it, you can’t like it. But whatever floats your boat.
Lmk

If anything, I applaud your tenacity.

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

If anything, I applaud your tenacity.

You too. My wife was a teacher as well.

#100 1 year ago

Just got back - it was great! Tons of movie references. The ending is straight up from a Spielberg movie. I won’t say which one because it gives away a huge twist. It’s a bit too long and there’s one subplot that should have been cut entirely. (I think?) It was there to add a layer to one of the themes of the movie, but wasn’t necessary because they dealt with it in another way too. Anyway, was good, DEFINITELY Tremors is a good signpost.

Oh! I forgot this movie brought back Mike Wincott! AND MF-ing Keith David! 2 of the greatest voices ever

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nope-a-psa-announcement-/page/2?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.