• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RiverboatGamblerSolenoidTable (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hi All,
I apologize in advance for my total noobieness with regards to this problem but I'm pretty confident I can work through this with a little hand-holding.
It appears that all of my 906 bulbs don't light up - playfield and backbox. I've traced all the wiring and could not find a break anywhere.
Taking one section of lights in the backbox, they all look to have different dark wires (brown w/green stripe, brown w/orange stripe) and they all share a common orange wire.
My questions are:
If there's a break in a wire along the way, do they all fail?
If the break is in between the 3rd and 4th bulbs, shouldn't the first two still be lit?

I pulled the connectors off and reseated them but no luck there. All fuses also look good.

Please tell me if my logic is wrong.
What I'd like to do is run a wire from the orange pin to the orange spot on the first bulb in the series. Then run another wire from the corresponding pin for the dark wire to the dark spot on the first bulb. If I'm on the "all lights" test screen, shouldn't that bulb light up? I feel like I've bypassed all other bulbs and it should light up - but it doesn't.

I have a volt meter but I'm not sure what to start checking to rule things out.
I've also soldered in a coil successfully, but if you start talking about capacitors and boards and reflowing things - you're going to have to talk real slow with lots of pictures.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated with this.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from G35R6:

It appears that all of my 906 bulbs don't light up

They are flashers. Your 20 volts for them good ? Bulbs good ?

Measure the power at the sockets, if 6 volts AC, you need #555 bulbs in those sockets.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not measuring anything at the sockets and I'm pretty sure all the bulbs are good.
How can I check if 20V is even getting to the system?

Thanks

#5 3 years ago

Thanks.
That's very informative but not really helpful - probably because I have no idea what most of that is asking me to do or try.
This seems easy but is looking more like it is probably out of my league.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from G35R6:

What I'd like to do is run a wire from the orange pin to the orange spot on the first bulb in the series. Then run another wire from the corresponding pin for the dark wire to the dark spot on the first bulb. If I'm on the "all lights" test screen, shouldn't that bulb light up? I feel like I've bypassed all other bulbs and it should light up - but it doesn't.

Take a look at this page from the manual. It shows where the flashers are, what transistor drives them, where they are connected.
The flashers probably do not come on during the all lights test.

See page 12 in the manual and check that you have power at the fuses listed for the flashlamp circuits.

RiverboatGamblerSolenoidTable (resized).pngRiverboatGamblerSolenoidTable (resized).png
#7 3 years ago

Thanks.
I'll give this a try.

#8 3 years ago

These later system 11 flasher circuits can be a little tricky. Notice in the solenoid table posted above that the flasher circuits only light up when the 'c' side of the relay on the aux driver board is enabled. So unlike most coils, you won't get voltage at the flashers when they are not being used. The full wiring diagram for the machine is not listed on the ipdb.org, but if you have a hard copy, I bet there is a wiring diagram that shows all the coils and flashers in relationship to the aux driver board. I would start with that diagram, and trace the wiring from the Aux power board, to the interconnect board, and finally to the flasher. Eliminate problems with the wiring before you start poking around with the boards themselves.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's starting to make a little more sense now.
So if there's a break somewhere, would that prevent them all from flashing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noobie-with-a-lighting-problem-on-a-riverboat-gambler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.