4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Boslaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

This may sound silly to some, but I'm wondering how most of you troubleshoot pins and bowlers when you're alone. Example, I'm working on a shuffle bowler. I think I have a problem with one of the stepper units. I can't really watch the unit in action without pressing the start button, which is 6 or 7 feet away when I'm behind the head watching the stepper. I have the same issue with my old EM pinball.

Am I missing something ridiculously obvious?

As you can tell from this post, I am a total noob at troubleshooting EM machines.

Thanks in advance.

#2 4 years ago

I force my kids to help

#3 4 years ago

In most cases, pressing the start button fires a relay - which is actually doing the heavy lifting of starting the game. I usually press the armature of the start relay and watch if needed.

#4 4 years ago

Another option is to make a remote start button that can be hooked by jumpers to the original start button.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Another option is to make a remote start button that can be hooked by jumpers to the original start button.

Find the contact points on the Jones plug in the back of the machine, couple alligator clips will work to hook up a remote switch

Quoted from bingopodcast:

In most cases, pressing the start button fires a relay - which is actually doing the heavy lifting of starting the game. I usually press the armature of the start relay and watch if needed.

or find the start relay switch contacts & manually close those with something long & NON-Conductive

#6 4 years ago

The remote start button via alligator clips is a great idea, thanks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-question-about-troubleshooting?hl=boslaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.