You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200101_140447294 (resized).jpg
20190505_163859_resized (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

I just got my first machine and it works well aside from one annoying issue. I've noticed that there is something funky going on with the scoring reels. I have looked through these forums and guides and apologies if this has been answered before but I can't be certain what I've read is the same as what I'm seeing. If it is, I need a really simple, basic guide on how to fix this.

The main thing I'm seeing is on the 500 point rollover at the top of the PF, when you hit it you can see the reels are trying to turn but it only turns twice, giving 200 points. However, sometimes when I hit it, usually when I have a fourth digit up (say, 1,500), it will give me like 3,000 points.

I've noticed a few other little things too, such as there's a 100 when lit special in the middle, but it always seems to give 100pts.

Can someone please steer a noob in the right direction?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from cyberslunk:

I just got my first machine and it works well aside from one annoying issue. I've noticed that there is something funky going on with the scoring reels.

Do some cleaning on those score reels and the switches majority of the time needs a good adjustment

Here's a great place start
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#3 4 years ago

Play it and manually correct it mid-game if necessary. EMs love being played, sometimes if they are close to being right problems clear up just from playing them.
Eventually you will want to properly clean the score reel mechanisms / switches.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Play it and manually correct it mid-game if necessary. EMs love being played, sometimes if they are close to being right problems clear up just from playing them.
Eventually you will want to properly clean the score reel mechanisms / switches.

Y'know, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I've been playing the crap out of it hoping it just clears up. At this stage I just want to have fun with it working correctly before I start "fixing" it. What do you mean by correct it mid game though?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Do some cleaning on those score reels and the switches majority of the time needs a good adjustment
Here's a great place start
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Thank you for that link, I'm pretty sure I've read over that guide but will do so again. I just don't want to mess it up worse.

#6 4 years ago

--there's a 100 when lit special in the middle, but it always seems to give 100pts-- Do you mean it is still giving only 100 points even when it's lit, or it is never lighting to begin with when you complete the correct card sequences?

On the screwy scoring, are you having similar sticky reel problems during reset, i.e. do any of them esp. the 100 reel seem to be skipping advances and taking longer to get to zero? I could see maybe if the 100 reel is sticky, it will be stickiest at position '9', and thus it could end up giving extra pulses to the 1,000 reel (where you went from 1500 pts to 3500). Since you say they look like they are 'trying to turn' that sounds like gunk/dirt/misadjusted switches in the reel(s) but only if it's messing up the same during reset and during single scoring like 10, 100 etc.

#7 4 years ago

Sounds like your reels need careful cleaning and their switches looking at and going through, particularly as they seem to be trying to move via the motor pulses. Read up the pinrepair section on Decagon reels, only as they can be tricky to get just right. This is a favourite game of mine and it's really good to play if working correctly.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

--there's a 100 when lit special in the middle, but it always seems to give 100pts-- Do you mean it is still giving only 100 points even when it's lit, or it is never lighting to begin with when you complete the correct card sequences?
On the screwy scoring, are you having similar sticky reel problems during reset, i.e. do any of them esp. the 100 reel seem to be skipping advances and taking longer to get to zero? I could see maybe if the 100 reel is sticky, it will be stickiest at position '9', and thus it could end up giving extra pulses to the 1,000 reel (where you went from 1500 pts to 3500). Since you say they look like they are 'trying to turn' that sounds like gunk/dirt/misadjusted switches in the reel(s) but only if it's messing up the same during reset and during single scoring like 10, 100 etc.

Thanks for the reply, I was able to clean the 100s real using this video and have successfully completed my first pinball "repair".

As for the special, it appears to be working as intended. It gives 100 pts unlit, but lit it gives 100pts and a new game credit as well.

My issue I'm having now is that the spin reel in the backglass doesn't always spin and just increments to the next card. I've seen pics of where these relays are but not sure what to do with them

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from cyberslunk:

My issue I'm having now is that the spin reel in the backglass doesn't always spin and just increments to the next card. I've seen pics of where these relays are but not sure what to do with them

Check the "wind up" unit in the lower cabinet, it will be on the right side towards the front right behind the coin box if it is the same as Hearts and Spades.

Make sure the contacts are clean and set proper. If I remember correct, the poppers "wind it up" and it is released when the spin outholes are hit.

Part of the card scoring and position mech is the AS relay (shown) in the backbox on the left side. Do not be surprised if it is beat to death and not working proper. I had to obtain one part for mine and weld up the other half to get it working proper.

20190505_163859_resized (resized).jpg20190505_163859_resized (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Check the "wind up" unit in the lower cabinet, it will be on the right side towards the front right behind the coin box if it is the same as Hearts and Spades.
Make sure the contacts are clean and set proper. If I remember correct, the poppers "wind it up" and it is released when the spin outholes are hit.
Part of the card scoring and position mech is the AS relay (shown) in the backbox on the left side. Do not be surprised if it is beat to death and not working proper. I had to obtain one part for mine and weld up the other half to get it working proper.[quoted image]

Thanks for this advice, I know this is a stupid question but what exactly do the contacts look like? Like, the switch contacts? I took a look and cleaned up this spin relay some, which did nothing but make it completely stop turning for a little bit. Whoops. I will attempt your suggestions when I get back home.
IMG_20200101_140447294 (resized).jpgIMG_20200101_140447294 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-question-about-scoring-reel-inconsistency-on-spin-a-card-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.