(Topic ID: 77986)

Noob question about curcuit board wiring...Please help.

By boneman91

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gorgardropwiring.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I am replacing the drop target circuit boards on my Gorgar machine. I have a noob question about wiring. On my machine, several wires run into a circuit with one wire and back out again with a different wire (but same color) at the same soldering hole. On the wiring diagram that comes with the new (improved and different then the original!) circuit boards, the wire is shown going into one soldering hole in the circuit board. But I've noticed that the printed circuit on the other side actually runs through two adjacent holes. So the question is this, can I solder the incoming wire into one of the circuit holes and the outgoing wire into the adjacent hole without messing up how the circuit performs? I'm pretty sure I can, but my confidence in my own understanding of electricity is so low that I feel compelled to ask someone. Thanks

gorgardropwiring.jpggorgardropwiring.jpg

#2 10 years ago

The adjacent holes with a trace between them is the same point electrically. Same as a piece of wire. It will make no difference. When in doubt, get your DMM out and measure continuity between the points in question. They don't even need to be next to each other, a trace can run all the way to the other side of the board - electrically it is the same as if the wires were right next to each other.

Often the case with with adjacent holes in this arrangement is they are provided for ease of assembly or manufacturing, and provides a way to make sure the wires are correctly soldered in the thru hole.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the great answer Wayout! Appreciate you taking the time to answer. I was pretty sure it would be okay, but your explanation of it being the "same point electrically" was a great way to put it. I do have a DMM, but still trying to figure out how to work it. I'll look up how to test continuity. Thanks again.

#4 10 years ago

Yep, and I believe that's the reason Hans designed them with the two holes.

#5 10 years ago

Your welcome boneman91. Get that classic game working again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-question-about-curcuit-board-wiringplease-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.