• 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jlm33
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-254.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aeonblack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago

You won't know what you like and don't like about a machine until you have lived with a machine for long enough to understand the rules and such. Given that, I would just go with whatever is currently available for purchase and appeals to you the most. Your first machine doesn't have to be your favourite. Also, you probably won't have much mechanical knowledge about how to fix things going wrong on your machine right away, so just make sure nothing needs fixing immediately.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I understand why some of you are giving the advice of "go see what you like best and get your favourite!" but as an inexperienced pinballer I think he's asking us for advice on what machine will be good to own over the long term, which he can't really know as a noob. He has unlimited budget to spend and is looking for a kick ass machine, you can't go wrong with big ol' #1. Everybody who comes to his house will appreciate MM. If he goes to an arcade and enjoys playing Frankenstein for 20 minutes that doesn't mean much.
To the OP: I got a small collection of games that have variety of game style. You might want to consider what games will complement each other great.
A trio of MMr, Shadow and Tales from the Crypt for example (for a lower average cost trio)
Or if you want to go balls to the wall, MMr Metallica and Tron or Star Trek.
But I can't say it enough... if you want the best single pin, get MMr. The visitors to your game room will love it. And getting the most modern machines will make it the easiest for you to learn maintenance.

My point is that we don't know what will be a good long term pin for him either, because we're not him. Enjoyment of a game is subjective. I personally love my three pins, but I've seen hate for all three. I can understand why people appreciate certain games that I am not a big fan of, due to one reason or another, but how can you know what themes and music and artwork someone else will like? He might as well tell us nothing about pinball and more about his other interests haha.

So, Willis, from you pin choice you don't seem to have any interest in music pins. Is that fair? Does the game music and sound effects matter to you?
What about superhero themes?
You've got both kooky themes (MM) and serious (LOTR), so do you not have a preference?
You've got LOTR on there, would you consider any other movie-based themes?
Does artwork matter to you?
The list goes on, and if you want us to truly recommend a game that will last for you, those things are important.

Further on to that, what gameplay aspects do you like and dislike about the games you have played? For example, do you like fast games with orbit shots (that's where the ball swings around and comes shooting back to you)? Interactive toys? Wireform returns that bring the ball back to flippers? Multiple flippers? Upper playfields with more flippers?

Gameplay, theme, music, cost, toys, availability of mods, etc. these are all things that matter.

If you just want us to stick to the 3 you listed, go with LOTR. It's the cheapest, easy to trade or sell if you don't end up liking it long term, has mods available, gameplay is reasonably varied, reasonably deep ruleset and, most importantly, it's fun. It's the type of game that will help you grow as a player.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 25.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aeonblack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-needs-advice?tu=aeonblack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.