Noob fiasco. Should have known better.

By rauls4

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I read the warnings and still went ahead and made a series of stupid mistakes.

1- Don’t buy at auctions. Ended up making a winning bid for a Black Belt estate sale auction. Higher than I wanted but still seemed like an ok deal. Bid $900.

2- Pictures always look better - it really looked like brand new to me on the pictures, everything lit up and digital displays were working. Well, in person it was a different story. What I though was chrome gloss on the photo was worn out metal. Plastics were merited and warped, game wouldn’t start, credits wouldn’t register, rubbers were falling apart and the unit was banged up all over.

3- Don’t buy sight unseen - the pickup was 150 miles away from me. 2.5 hours each way. When I saw the machine I immediately realized I had made a huge mistake. I was on the hook for $1.300 w taxes and fees and a junk machine I needed to get out of a basement and drive back 150 miles to basically dispose of.

I was able to negotiate a deposit of $250 to the auction company to be able to walk out of the deal. So I drove 300 miles to lose $250. Still better than $1,300 in the hole and stuck with a pinball carcass.

So, lesson learned the hard way. From now on I will only buy either from the pinside marketplace or local listings were I can inspect the machine in person.

Shame on me.

#2 2 years ago

Ain’t no shame in the game…my first pin was a shaq attaq for $1300 back in 2003 from some dude in Reno…it worked just fine but that was about double it’s worth

#3 2 years ago

You saved over 1k and back pain not hauling home a clunker with negotiating skills.
You’ll do fine in this hobby.

#4 2 years ago

I’ve overpaid and undersold on every game pretty much but played the shit outta everyone of em ! No regrets here. You did the right thing live & learn

#5 2 years ago

Pricey for that condition black belt but I actually love that game - for a straight forward 80s pin, the progression thru belts is fun as the music gets more frenetic.

Sounds like that one woulda been some work though

#6 2 years ago

After a while, you develop an eye for game condition from limited or poor photos.

I'm sure every single one of us has made a beline for a game that we initially thought was better than it actually was.

#7 2 years ago

Thanks for all the encouraging replies. I needed that!

#8 2 years ago

Was this item described as working fully? Or mention of these issues?

#9 2 years ago

My first pin was a good purchase, a fully working but player condition cabinet Getaway. My second pin was a really beatup Seawitch. The playfield pictures were from a distance and didn't show the hundreds of craters in the playfield. It's like playing a game of Moon Patrol! I learned from that lesson, and you will too.

#10 2 years ago

Having read the title, I expected far worse. You learned a lesson the hard way, but still managed to get out of it better than you could have been. At least you didn’t throw bad money after good and take the game.
There are an awful lot of people on this forum who have made far worse mistakes and lost more money (myself included) on deals. You’ve got nothing to be ashamed of, especially if this ends up being your worst mistake. There are plenty of pitfalls in this hobby, avoiding all of them isn’t easy. Don’t let things like that discourage you.

#11 2 years ago

Can't imagine how crappy that ride home woulda been with the "$1300 mistake" in the back.

#12 2 years ago

Cheap lesson. Good you walked away.

#13 2 years ago

Chalk it up to a price for an education. At least you aren't stuck with a pile of junk. We all make mistakes. Live and learn........

#14 2 years ago

We’ve all been there. Karma takes care of it in the end

#15 2 years ago

Yup, my first purchase was sight-unseen, and I ended up putting way more into the game than I ever got out of it, because the condition was mis-represented. Seems we all learn a hard lesson or two.........

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Ain’t no shame in the game…my first pin was a shaq attaq for $1300 back in 2003 from some dude in Reno…it worked just fine but that was about double it’s worth

“I bought a Shaq in Reno just to watch it die.
When I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry.”

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Was this item described as working fully? Or mention of these issues?

The title is rare enough I still might have taken it.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

“I bought a Shaq in Reno just to watch it die.
When I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry.”

Well said! That was funny. Mr Cash would be proud.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-fiasco-should-have-known-better-?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.