(Topic ID: 61417)

Noob concern: ESD control while troubleshooting and for board-level repair ??

By bhelms

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago

While I'm hardly a board repair guru, I have done my share of board repairs and I was trained extensively at work on the evils of ESD. My MO is generally to be more careful the newer the board is. I haven't killed a WPC board yet and I don't wear kid gloves (a ground strap) while handling them.

Always use an ESD/anti-static bag when moving or shipping. They are cheap and available online. Pink bags, blister or otherwise, are supposed to be ESD safe. You can now get very nice large pink ESD zip-lock bags, if that's what you prefer. Black ESD bags are fine too, as long as you're sure they are ESD bags. Chips go on anti-static foam, typically black. Then in a ESD bag, if possible. No tape on on ESD bag, just fold it over. The tape can generate it's own ESD.

I don't wear a wrist strap, but I avoid carpet as much as possible when handling boards. That would be the most important advice I would suggest to folks learning to work on boards. Stay away from carpet. If you have to carry a board over carpet, bag it first and touch something that's grounded (like the side rails of a plugged in pin) before you remove the board from the bag. ESD (electrostatic discharge) can deliver tens of thousands of volts to your board and chips. That's bad!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-concern-esd-control-while-troubleshooting-and-for-board-level-repair?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.