• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kguenther6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi Guys,

Im new around here, been lurking on the site for a little while and finally decided to join. I have gotten in to pinball pretty heavily the past few years and have decided to finally buy my first machine. I live in an area that has 5 machines total around town, with last time I checked all of which had some sort of issue with it from not being maintained.

I have decided to buy a Metallica premium. I played the machine a lot at CAX this year and just couldn't get enough of it. So my question comes down to maintenance. I want to keep this machine in the best condition i can for as long as i can (while still being able to play it ). I looked around and didn't see any type of sticky thread for do's and don'ts for the beginner pinball owner, but maybe i missed something? I see some guys say wax the playfield, others say no. I know somethings come down to personal opinion, but are their tried and true do's and dont's for keeping the machine in tip top shape?

Also in your guys opinion which metallica premium do you think will hold its value better, the monsters or roadcase? It seems the monsters is more popular so in the long run will that make the road case rarer and hold a higher resale value?

#2 5 years ago

I don't know if things have changed with the newer Sterns (my machines are both over 20 years old) but as far as I know, waxing the playfield is a must for keeping the game fast and preventing wear.

#3 5 years ago

Be sure to have shiny new balls to put in right away, I like to clean and wax the play field before putting any plays on it, also a good idea to protect the shooter lane with an eject protector.

Enjoy your pin!

#4 5 years ago

Wax is indeed important- get a high quality Carnuba hard wax (no additives). Use microfiber (new, soft, fresh, not soiled etc) cloth to wipe down etc before waxing, DO NOT use windex ANYWHERE but on the glass. Get Novus #2 and Novus #1. I use Novus #1 to spray down the play field and plastics in the game to wipe it all clean before waxing (you do not want to grind in the dirt/dust/grime).

Keep the game out of direct sunlight (it fades colors)
Throw a surge protector in front of the game

Be nice to it, but remember its designed to be put on route, you can play it hard- you will not break it.

#5 5 years ago

Buy all of the cliffy protectors that are made for the machine. I installed inlane, magnets, eject, shooter lane and mystery hole protectors for mine. They look great and keep those areas protected from ball drops etc!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Also in your guys opinion which Metallica premium do you think will hold its value better

Don't buy pins as an investment. There are much better things to invest in. Buy the one you like the best and will be the happiest with.

The best thing you can do for your pin is to keep your playfield clean and your balls shiny. Dirty playfields and pitted/rusty balls do the most damage.

#7 5 years ago

I suggest novus as well and like the cab protectors for the legs. I love mettalica so crank and play loud, and remember,

Quoted from rufessor:

Be nice to it, but remember its designed to be put on route, you can play it hard- you will not break it

#8 5 years ago

At minimum, just keep it clean, replace balls when they start getting pitted, replace rubbers when worn, and keep it out of the sun. Waxing is good if you want to do it.

#9 5 years ago

To add to the great suggestions above - just because it is a new in box (NIB) machine, that does not mean it will be 'perfect'. Expect to do a few adjustments to get everything dialed in. Also, expect a few repairs along the way. Pinball machines need constant attention to keep them in great shape.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys! I see mention of putting better balls in it, are the ones that come with it not great and should be replaced right out of the gate? Oh and I definitely plan on getting all the cliffy protectors I can for the machine.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I see mention of putting better balls in it, are the ones that come with it not great and should be replaced right out of the gate?

The balls that come with it are fine. You just need to watch them and make sure that when they get pitted or rusty that you replace them. That can happen to any pinball that you put in there so you just need to keep an eye on them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 26.50
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside