Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Flowst
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoko2una.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from DMVPin:

Hi,
    Noob here trying to decide on my first pin. Top 3 right now are Avengers Pro, Guardians of the Galaxy Pro and TSPP. Also curious about JP Pro but have not had a chance to play. Do you think I will like it based on the others I liked? Also is a TSPP pretty reliable. Hate to spend the same money and get a machine that won’t last as long / give me a lot of trouble and/ or be worth less in say 10 years than the others. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Welcome to pinside!

There are technically two Avengers pins from Stern, so I’ll assume you mean the new Avengers Infinity Quest. If you can play all of them (sounds like you did, except JP) I’d suggest to just to get a feel.

You may have to weigh if this is a family pin or just a personal pin. I love TSPP personally but also as a standalone game I’d easily tire of the stop and go nature. JP is loaded of super tight shots that will annoy both new players and younger players, who may not have great visibility of the upper flipper shots. GOTG is a decent “package” for a Pro but is handicapped by what may be the worst theme integration for a game that actually uses movie assets. If I can dig up a post from a week or two ago which summarizes GOTG perfectly, I’ll post it below.

I’d say in a vacuum, Avengers I.Q. is a safe bet of the 3 or 4 you’re considering. Good combination of layout, rules, and flow. If the TSPP is nice, that would be my 2nd choice, JP Pro 3rd, then every other Stern besides Munsters 4th, then GOTG, and then Munsters.

#4 3 years ago

Ok here it is. From the TMNT thread...

Quoted from Jediturtle:

I have owned both. GOTG left very quickly, while TMNT will be a long term keeper. GOTG was one of my biggest disappointments. Yes, it's a solid game, but it's just so damn generic. Almost everything about that game was recycled from a different, better game. The playfield has been done (better) a million times before. It is almost literally a combination of Metallica and Iron Man. Combine that with a basic code structure that has also been done a million times before, and it just has a "been there done that" feeling. I try not to criticize designers too much, but honestly GOTG is probably the laziest, most phoned in machine ever made. Perfect example of how lazy it is...Cherry Bomb. A mid-point mini-wizard mode that was tacked in with absolutely no theming other than playing a song that played in the movie. They didn't even bother to put any sort of video or movie tie-in. Just some cherries and bombs because those are words from the song. Ugg. So much awesome stuff in the movie...and that is what they decided to do with that mode. Come on...at least have the Milano flying around or something...anything. It's a perfect license, and a machine I was super excited for. Yeah, it's a decent game, but the games it recycles from are better. Just a damn shame all around.
    TMNT on the other hand...complete opposite. The layout and code are both unique and loads of fun. Yes, there are bits and pieces of design cues from games like Tron and X-Men...but nothing overt and it is definitely it's own thing. Same with the code. Yes, it shows a bit of the same signature of SW and GoT with the choices, mode strategies, and hurry-up based side goals, but it is definitely it's own game 100%. Plus there are so many ways to play, it will not get old for a very long time. Go for modes hoping to get to Team-up and then Final Battle (not to mention the strategy of which modes to bring in to TU). Go for training to level up and try to get to pizza party. Concentrate just on the various hurry-ups. Put together the perfect combination of toppings before starting Pizza multi. Try to do it all for Cowabunga (lol Good Luck!). Try Final Battle Challenge and see how well you can do. Try a speedrun completely separate from the rest of the game with Half Shell Challenge. Have friends over? Sure you can just compete as usual, or you can team up in co-op, or even gang up on each other in a 3-on-1 or 2-on-2 battle. So many ways to play. GOTG? Slog through the generic modes, use the generic multiballs to help (props to Groot's moving mouth on the super though), drop some cherry bombs for no apparent reason, then Immolation Initiative and Save Xander (which I admit are pretty awesome). At least you can choose your mode order...but there isn't much strategy in that since they do not mean anything later.
    Playing GOTG I can't help but think this is just a IronTallica ripoff with a crappier version of Star Trek's rules. Playing TMNT I am playing something completely unique while still feeling like a Borg/Dwight game. All that said...I kind of have an urge to play GOTG right now, LOL. Will I be shocked if I ever own one again? Not really. Like I said it's a solid game...just not unique in any way. Could I ever see giving up TMNT for it? Not in a million years.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoko2una.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-buying-advice-choices?tu=Yoko2una and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.