Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Monk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I will start by saying I have been lightly in the hobby for about 4 years, but only decided to get a little more involved about a year ago. I have played many different games, but non of them enough to get a good feel for modes or rules. At the beginning of December we purchased a GoT Pro to sit next to our Met Pro. I love Metallica, but think GoT has slightly passed it mainly because of the modes and different ways to attack the game (big thanks to @Chuckwurt). My question to the community is, what are some other machines that have good modes that are not linear and have multiply ways to attack the game?

Disclaimer: At the risk of starting a new thread from an old topic, I did search for this but a lot of different threads came up and they didn't look like they covered my question.

#2 6 years ago

I like AC/DC alot for its rules, your working your way through the jukebox but you can do it in any order you like. There is a lot of strategy of what song to play at what point and when to cash in the jackpots. Very deep rule set. The Walking Dead seems to be very popular for its rules these days, it's kinda had a resurgence. JJP games are pretty mode based. There are so many its hard to list, lots of classic like The Adams Family, Jurassic Park, The Shadow.

#3 6 years ago

Lots of games fit your criteria. Most mode based games are non-linear.

TWD
LOTR
ACDC Pro (prem has unbalanced scoring via Hells Bells)
Shadow

Those are my favourites, their modes/scoring balance is why I have them.

#4 6 years ago

So a game like TSPP would also fit what I'm asking, but you dont really have to finish the mode. When I had it I would just try and start them (complete some with multiball) so I could get to Alien Invasion. To me this was not very nonlinear as my objective was hit orbit, get to upper playfield, start mode, repeat. Obviously this could be just my style of playing. With GoT you have to complete the modes to advance to the next step. It really makes you think about what you want to go after next. I have played LOTR a little bit. Is it more like TSPP where you start the modes but don't have to complete them or do you have to complete them before progressing?

#5 6 years ago

In LOTR you don't have to complete the modes, but there are valuable rewards (gifts of the elves) for completing them which are required to progress to wizard mode. Unlike TSPP, you cannot stack modes.

Unfortunately most games have modes that time out... I didn't realize that you were looking for games which require you to complete the modes. That usually applies to more linear games, like GB. Star Wars might 'force' you to complete modes, but I don't know the game well enough to say with certainty. Perhaps you are a fan of the Dwight Sullivan rule styles. (He did GOT, GB and SW)

GOT rules are definitely great.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

In LOTR you don't have to complete the modes, but there are valuable rewards (gifts of the elves) for completing them which are required to progress to wizard mode. Unlike TSPP, you cannot stack modes.
Unfortunately most games have modes that time out... I didn't realize that you were looking for games which require you to complete the modes. That usually applies to more linear games, like GB. Star Wars might 'force' you to complete modes, but I don't know the game well enough to say with certainty. Perhaps you are a fan of the Dwight Sullivan rule styles. (He did GOT, GB and SW)
GOT rules are definitely great.

Yes I like the fact I have to complete the mode, but also like that I can complete them in any order. I have played GB a few times, but I haven't played it enough to really understand it. I believe GB is a start mode 1 then start mode 2 style of game. I like how you have to complete 7 modes in GoT, but you can play mode 5 then mode 7 then mode 1 (any order you want). So I guess my question is are their any other games similar to that style?

#7 6 years ago

Yes, NBA 2009.
You have to finish all the modes (six modes if i remember right) to play the finals but which mode you choose is your decision. And you have to finish each mode.
OK they are not very difficult (except the Superstar mode, this mode is a challenge because you can only finsih it during multiball), but i liked the game.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Yes I like the fact I have to complete the mode, but also like that I can complete them in any order. I have played GB a few times, but I haven't played it enough to really understand it. I believe GB is a start mode 1 then start mode 2 style of game. I like how you have to complete 7 modes in GoT, but you can play mode 5 then mode 7 then mode 1 (any order you want). So I guess my question is are their any other games similar to that style?

Most games allow you to select the specific mode that you want to play and don't require modes to be played in a linear fashion. Sometimes it isn't obvious how to select a specific mode, but usually you do have the choice in the order that you play the modes.

All 4 of the games that I suggested allow you to choose the mode that you want to play in any order:

TWD - Choose mode by shooting specific shot
LOTR - Flipper buttons change lit mode
ACDC - Choose any mode once in jukebox
Shadow - Change lit mode using ramp shots

#9 6 years ago

I enjoy the Mustang modes and the ability to choose what one to start and which one to play next when completing a mode. Also help to change up the songs to ones you enjoy - great mode based jukebox on Mustang.

I also began to tire of Metallica and sold it. I prefer more traditional mode based games I guess.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I also began to tire of Metallica and sold it. I prefer more traditional mode based games I guess.

I completely understand what you mean. This is why I like GoT next to Metallica.

#11 6 years ago

It's hard to think of any Mode based games that are linear besides PM & GB. Most are not linear.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's hard to think of any Mode based games that are linear besides PM & GB. Most are not linear.

Road Show always comes to mind

#13 6 years ago

Also, FYI, tiltforums.com is a great place to discuss the finer details of actually playing pinball.

Pinside is more of a general pinball talk/news/marketplace forum. Not saying that this doesn't belong here, but you'll get more thoughtful responses re: playing pinball over there.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

RfM is linear, you can choose your start mode, but then the rest after that is linear.

#15 6 years ago

SW is definitely in the same vein as GoT. The only game I can think of where you can't time out modes at all for better or worse.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I will start by saying I have been lightly in the hobby for about 4 years, but only decided to get a little more involved about a year ago. I have played many different games, but non of them enough to get a good feel for modes or rules. At the beginning of December we purchased a GoT Pro to sit next to our Met Pro. I love Metallica, but think GoT has slightly passed it mainly because of the modes and different ways to attack the game (big thanks to Chuckwurt). My question to the community is, what are some other machines that have good modes that are not linear and have multiply ways to attack the game?
Disclaimer: At the risk of starting a new thread from an old topic, I did search for this but a lot of different threads came up and they didn't look like they covered my question.

Metallica is fun and a blast to play, I love the band, and the theme is very well integrated. But, it got old for me cause it became quite repetitive. But it's a great pin to revisit from time to time due to its depth and fun. But after one or two plays I feel I've gotten all I need from it for awhile. That said, GOT to me has one of the best rulesets in pinball. It synergizes so well with its layout and has so many unique things going on. If you're looking for a pin similar to it, give Star Wars a try - it's GOT on steroids. Though I do prefer the layout, theme, and sound of GOT - but Steve Ritchie and Dwight Sullivan took that type of ruleset to another level with Star Wars. Adding all sorts of little mini achievable wizard modes that can be accessed different ways from game to game.

Some other pins that offer this type of depth and breadth would be TWD and WOZ. TWD has so many wizard modes to achieve and its new code fixes the funnel hole that made horde the center of attention. WOZ is awesome with so many unique paths and each area of the pin has its own end mini wizard mode.

I am very curious to see how JJPOTC ends up being as this is the direction they are taking, I just hope it doesn't back fire on them by putting in too much making it a marathon style game needed to advance or open the game up. There needs to be balance amongst all available wizard modes; and making those attainable wizard modes different each time they are played is key. Dwight nailed this method of madness rulesets with GOT & SW. A fine balance of depth and breadth is a recipe for a fine home use pin. Some games get so wrapped up in having so many modes that the ruleset becomes overload, and ultimately ends up being more work than fun.

#17 6 years ago

Linear or Non Linear?

Judge Dredd has nine non linear modes that lead up to one major non linear mode.

#18 6 years ago

How about America’s Most Haunted. If you’re looking for something cheaper, JP Lost World requires you to complete modes and it’s a tough game

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

America’s Most Haunted

Do all the modes in AMH have some second phase (MB?) ? None around here so I'm not too clear on the rules

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do all the modes in AMH have some second phase (MB?) ? None around here so I'm not too clear on the rules

Yeah I believe a couple end in a multiball. I like the game because it has tasks to reach the wizard, which is one of the toughest out there to get to. And you have to complete the modes or you do not get credit. One mode even gives you a ball save if you drain during the mode

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Yes I like the fact I have to complete the mode, but also like that I can complete them in any order. I like how you have to complete 7 modes in GoT, but you can play mode 5 then mode 7 then mode 1 (any order you want). So I guess my question is are their any other games similar to that style?

#star_trek is non-linear for the most part. You can choose any of six modes to begin with and after completing one you can either play a different one or another level (more difficult) of the same one. I think the wizard modes are linear, I don't think it's possible to play five year mission before kobyashi maru.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Star Trek (Pro) is non-linear for the most part. You can choose any of six modes to begin with and after completing one you can either play a different one or another level (more difficult) of the same one. I think the wizard modes are linear, I don't think it's possible to play five year mission before kobyashi maru.

I did play Star Trek briefly and really enjoyed it. I’ll have to put some more time on it and see how much I actually like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nonlinear-mode-based-games?hl=metengo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.