image (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Md2020.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

“Long time listener, first time caller”
Hi all, I’ve been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join and buy a pin. I (overspent, I now know) bought a non working 1973 Williams 1973 triple action for 350. It wouldn’t power on When you hit the power switch. I figured out that the machine will run. When switched on, you have to hit the start button and then the whole machine comes to life. Not really sure if that’s how it’s supposed to work.
Well, after running it for a minute, I freed up some PF scoring contacts that were touching causing the machine to endlessly score.
Shortly thereafter though, the machine now won’t start, but the lights will come on when you hit the left flipper button.

This is a lot of word vomit, I know. But my question for all you is where should I start with this machine? Since I spent 350 on it, the least I think I should do is get it running

This machine is nasty inside (I’ll try to post pics). I’ve been working on it best I can with a vacuum and compressed air.

8D57AF11-B834-40ED-8DA5-C0540092A5DC (resized).jpeg8D57AF11-B834-40ED-8DA5-C0540092A5DC (resized).jpegE61E884A-2BEC-43CA-8FCC-E4E538A01948 (resized).jpegE61E884A-2BEC-43CA-8FCC-E4E538A01948 (resized).jpegD6AFDD02-7AAA-457D-907F-9E862785A8C4 (resized).jpegD6AFDD02-7AAA-457D-907F-9E862785A8C4 (resized).jpegE10B93EC-EC02-46BC-9B53-10E40CB309C1 (resized).jpegE10B93EC-EC02-46BC-9B53-10E40CB309C1 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

I’ve been tracing out the wiring, and it looks like the ground wire has importance in this game. Looks like the dc side ground meets up with the ground coming from the wall ac plug, which is missing. I’m going to start by replacing the cord. I also found some DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY connectors. By some I mean all, so maybe I’ll clean those too.
I’m attaching photos to show overall condition, if you guys think I’m wasting my time, let me know. All the plastic is here and intact. Back glass is in pretty good shape, but I do see some separation about to happen with the white paint.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Thanks you guys. Yes, this is the one from Puyallup. It’s definitely in need of a good cleaning. I wire brushed most of the harness connectors. Thanks for the tip on the credit indicator reel. It was stuck at 26 credits, so that switch was closed. I don’t think all the steppers are resetting to zero. Honestly I think all those mechanical units need to be pulled And cleaned. The replay unit looks pretty nasty, pics attached. Right now, all the machine is doing is the score motor runs infinitely, like something isn’t resetting. The ball count unit just keeps clicking and not moving. If I help it move, it doesn’t do anything
Where’s a good place to start?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

Hey guys. Tonight, I "rebuilt" the ball count unit (took apart in situ, and cleaned the moving parts. Cleaned the fingers and wiper board). I think I need new springs though. I got the machine to run and count to 5 by stretching the spring out so it was able to pull the ratcheting arm back. It counted down from 5, then the spring flew off lol. I guess one thing down ????? to go. The credit unit needs the same treatment. And what I believe to be the match? unit. Someone butchered the coin box wires, would be nice to figure that out so I dont have to go behind the machine every time to give myself credits

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I doubt it needs new springs unless they’re rusted or bent up. You do need to grease the contact plate. The rewind spring should be 3 turns. Sometimes you need to move where the spring is attached to the round gear by one stop one way or the other to make sure it has enough tension to return to zero but not so much tension that it can’t step up.
Congrats, you’re on your way

Thank you! What do you mean by Contact plate? The gear? The machine wouldn’t ratchet unless I had the spring pulled up significantly tighter, but I see what you’re saying. Once I get home from work tomorrow, I’ll give it a whirl. I think I did 4-5 turns on the return spring, otherwise it was slow to go back to place

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I’m talking about the fingers and copper traces on the left side. 4-5 turns is way too much tension. I’m surprised it can step at all.
This is the lubricant I use: https://www.super-lube.com/multi-purpose-synthetic-grease-with-syncolon-ptfe-21030
You can get it at the local hardware store, Lowe’s, etc.
The same stuff should be used on the metal to metal points on the right side - on the shaft, gear, etc. you don’t need much, it’s slippery stuff and you don’t want to attract dirt.

I’m picking some up today! For the cam, I used a Teflon/graphite lube that dries immediately. I hope that is ok. Otherwise I’ll be pulling the assembly again.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Sounds good.
See how well it turns when you put on the superlube. Might be OK. Also, don’t crank the heck out of the nut that holds the spider on. It should turn nicely when you have all the springs off and there’s nothing engaging the gear.

Thanks for the tip! I didn’t crank it down too much, just to about where it was when I found it. But, It’s likely it was too tight to begin with.
Oh man, This forum has been the best one I’ve joined in a while. It’s nice to know when I start to “dig in” there’s somewhat of a safety net!

#17 4 years ago

It came with a “set of prints” by the way. It’s taken me more time to put this puzzle together then I’ve been able to work on the machine lol.
I tried to print the one off of ipdb, but I think I toasted my printer

#18 4 years ago

So, I got the ball count working, but I think I created an issue with “tilt”. Looking at the diagram now. When I trigger a tilt, it locks up unless I reset the ball count to game over.
I thought that when it went to tilt and the ball returns home, that it would subtract a ball and continue. Even if I turn the machine off and back on, it’s still on whatever ball I “tilted” it on and won’t restart a new game. Any suggestions?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Tilt loses you the whole game on that machine. There’s no way to make it just lose the ball.
It should let you start a new game with the replay button, assuming that there are credits. If it’s not, then you gotta hunt down the switches in that path on the schematic. For example, if the replay button works when you stepped down to the last ball, then I would be checking the switch on the Game relay that is wired in parallel with that switch on the ball count unit. Switch “C”, on the game relay, schematic location D-3.
The tilt light vs game over light just means the game stopped before the last ball.
The schematic and manual are on IPDB. From your photo, it looks like you got the schematic

Very very strange. I left the machine on for a while last night while I was doing a visual on all the relays. I tried tilting again, and all of a sudden the machine would subtract one ball on a tilt and resume the game. I did it 5 times in a row and it would subtract all the way down to a game over.
You’re telling me a tilt should cost a person an entire 5 ball game? I guess the punishment fits the crime if true, lol. That also means I’ve got another intermittent problem on my hands

#25 4 years ago

Thank you for the moral support, everybody! Nwpinball, awesome video! I plan on getting deeper towards a more full restoration with this machine systematically. I guess I’m kind of putting my toes in the water with this being my first machine. I’m a tinkerer of sorts and I’ve always been into pinball. I do building automation for a living, so wiring and reading schematics is fairly normal for me. As a side note, I have an old Hammond m3 (which is essentially a EM instrument haha) which I did some mods on/restored. So I know it’s important to not just rip something apart without knowing all the intricacies of what it is I’m working on. Step by step, I suppose.

What blows me away is that someone came up with something like a pinball machine to start with. I imagine that was years of r and d, hence Williams cabinets essentially containing the same basic components. That’s my guess at least.

I’m hoping to meet Local pinball hobbyists and players to hang out with and play pinball, shoot the shit, kick back beers etc.. I already know that This will not be my last machine-I figured that out as soon as I picked this one up haha.

I guess that was an introduction of sorts lol. Anyway glad to be here.

Does anybody know where I can buy these female plugs? I found one broken one, do not want to hack it. (Been looking at the hacks post for a few laughs n shit)

E4A10D0E-1CD0-471C-BD03-904AB0D16A0C (resized).jpegE4A10D0E-1CD0-471C-BD03-904AB0D16A0C (resized).jpeg
#29 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Search ebay for
pinball jones plugs

I took dgampguy’s advice and removed some unused ones.
It was hurtin me to lean over the machine so I pulled the bottom board out.
Waaaay easier!

#30 4 years ago

Still having an issue with the machine locking up on tilt. After putting everything back, it did the same “subtract a ball” on a tilt. Now it just locks up. I’m pretty burned out, so I’m gonna call it a night. I’ll look at the schematics tomorrow. If anyone has some suggestions, let me know

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

Still having an issue with the machine locking up on tilt. After putting everything back, it did the same “subtract a ball” on a tilt. Now it just locks up. I’m pretty burned out, so I’m gonna call it a night. I’ll look at the schematics tomorrow. If anyone has some suggestions, let me know

It’s running again, but it’s definitely not right. If there’s credits, and you score points, you can hit start and it will start a new game even on ball 5. Don’t know which relay is which. I imagine there’s got to be a stuck one somewhere

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

That goes back to the C switch on the game relay that I mentioned before. That’s the one that prevents the replay button from starting a game while one is going on. I’d start there.
Dave

thanks for the starter, Dave. The switch appears to be ok. Looks like that ones open when the game relay is latched. I found nails holding down some of the switch stacks on the score motor, not sure what to make of it. I’m gonna see if I can pull those and make a repair

BDC57281-1A12-4A81-B773-37E026662FD8 (resized).jpegBDC57281-1A12-4A81-B773-37E026662FD8 (resized).jpeg
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

That goes back to the C switch on the game relay that I mentioned before. That’s the one that prevents the replay button from starting a game while one is going on. I’d start there.
Dave

Turned out to be the "Advance Unit" was all jammed up. Took that apart and cleaned it up. That fixed THAT issue.
Now I'm getting a stuck scoring issue in the 1k area. I'm looking at the reels, probably will clean those up even though I know thats probably not the issue.
I mean the 1k reel's solenoid is getting stuck on and gets HOT. I mean HOT HOT HOT. It's feeling HOT HOT HOT. lol.
Before I know it, I'll have ripped this whole thing apart.
I just want it to be playable and, when I'm not around, my daughter can play it without the machine catching on fire.
Basically, I'm trying to get this table route ready.

#35 4 years ago

So, I basically have it running reliably. There was a stuck pop up, causing the 1k solenoid to get stuck. Still though, I can start a new game with credits on the reel on ball 5 as long as it hits one of the top scoring switches upon launch.
I was reading about not falling into temptation with fixing the coin mech. Do you all feel the same way? I guess once I figure out the replay issue, I’d probably start trying to get the coun box to work. I’d put quarters in as kind of a piggy bank. Although I know it’s a slippery slope

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Md2020.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-working-triple-action?tu=Md2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.