(Topic ID: 272790)

Non-Pinhead Seller “Spin” on FB, CL, etc.

By wolverinetuner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by FlippyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200711-200926_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I thought it would be fun to have a thread for actual quotes from pinball machine for sale listings (e.g., Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist) where apparent non-pinheads attempt to downplay what may be wrong with their machines. Here are exact quotes that I’ve collected recently:

“need minor repairs”

“currently it is not working, but it was a year ago”

“Needs a little maintenance”

“needs to be rewired”

“It worked five years ago when moved.”

“Probably an easy fix I just never messed with it.”

Feel free to add any other actual “spin” language you find in such non-Pinside listings. (Who will be the first to find “probably just a fuse”?)

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I thought it would be fun to have a thread for actual quotes from pinball machine for sale listings (e.g., Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist) where apparent non-pinheads attempt to downplay what may be wrong with their machines. Here are exact quotes that I’ve collected recently:
    “need minor repairs”
    “currently it is not working, but it was a year ago”
    “Needs a little maintenance”
    “needs to be rewired”
    “It worked five years ago when moved.”
    “Probably an easy fix I just never messed with it.”
    Feel free to add any other actual “spin” language you find in such non-Pinside listings. (Who will be the first to find “probably just a fuse”?)

Home use only

#4 3 years ago

I know that thread well. This is just for actual “spin” language, to see how creative that gets, instead of also the ridiculous prices some sellers ask for, etc.

#5 3 years ago

“Good candidate for a restoration”

#6 3 years ago

Just saw this one:

“Needs to be cleaned and switches few adjusted.”

#7 3 years ago

I don’t know much about these things, but it’s probably an easy fix

#8 3 years ago

"Needs new elastic bands"

#9 3 years ago

This one has been popping up in my area. Quick translation: I want you to call me but not if you know what your game is worth. I want to come lowball you and act like that's what I thought your game was worth.

Screenshot_20200711-200926_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200711-200926_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #10 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

This one has been popping up in my area. Quick translation: I want you to call me but not if you know what your game is worth. I want to come lowball you and act like that's what I thought your game was worth.
    [quoted image]

Betcha poster is a dealer/flipper.

#11 3 years ago

thats probably choggard

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

I don’t know much about these things, but it’s probably an easy fix

Just like the cracked engine block in the car for sale!

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Home use only

"Undocumented".

#14 3 years ago

Haha. Reminds me of a classified my friends found way back when for a v12 jaguar listed for some low amount that had “minor engine burn.” Always wondered what that meant.

#15 3 years ago

Just found this one:

“everything works just needs a ball an fuse for the clickers easy fix”

#16 3 years ago

"Rare"

#17 3 years ago

Good condition for its age
    Just needs a fuse

3 weeks later
    #18 3 years ago

“Just need to manually reset it when the ball goes into the catch area (which is easily done from within machine). Probably an easy fix I just never messed with it.”

1 week later
    #19 3 years ago

“Just need to manually reset it when the ball goes into the catch area (which is easily done from within machine). Probably an easy fix I just never messed with it.”

To be fair most the time that IS an “easy fix” if you know what you’re doing and you’re familiar with the logic on these games.
    I’ve had the happen twice, once was as simple as a dirty contacts on the relay, the other the coil was smoked, black as night and partially set the playfield on fire

When I lifted it up the seller said “I thought they just used magnets!! I had no idea that burning came from in the game!”

Wtf does that even mean?

1 month later
    #20 3 years ago

Just saw this one: “it doesn’t need much at all to be in perfect working condition.”

If it doesn’t need much at all, then why not do what little it needs so you can sell it for more in perfect working condition? Or, probably more accurately, how can you make that statement when you don’t know the underlying problem(s) and what it takes to fix them?

#21 3 years ago

Just saw this one: “it doesn’t need much at all to be in perfect working condition.”
    If it doesn’t need much at all, then why not do what little it needs so you can sell it for more in perfect working condition? Or, probably more accurately, how can you make that statement when you don’t know the underlying problem(s) and what it takes to fix them?

You know the answer to that question:

The game is worth $3k perfectly working. I'm asking $2,999 because it does not take much (only $1 worth of parts/work) to have it in perfect working order. Hence my steal of a price of $2,999. Pay me now. Did I mention my game is RARE?

#22 3 years ago

I tried to use "may just be a fuse" to my advantage....

That’s sounds good to test it out and the $1200. If it’s more than though will probably hang on to it and try to get it working.

Thank you,
    Bryan

> Bryan,
    >
    > I'll tell you what, I'll bring fuses and a multimeter with me. If it's just a fuse, I'll give you $1200 for it. If it's more than a fuse, I'll give you $300. What do you think?
    >
    > Base powers on but not the backboard....May just be a fuse.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Bryan
    >> 
    >> I have some interest in your pin. Can you provide me a couple additional pictures of the playfield, and if possible the battery holder on the mpu board? I'm in Royal Oak, so if I drive out your way, I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm getting in to

#23 3 years ago

My favorite that I actually bought, Fun Fest: "Will start up, but won't eject a ball", they didn't have time for me to look at it there. So bought it, brought it home, pulled the playfield glass. Apparently one of their two sons, appx 7 to 10 years old, had somehow put a magic marble magnet into the play field. It was stuck to the game ball, keeping it from ejecting into the shooter lane. Pulled the marble, game worked with just a few scoring and minor switch adjustment issues.

#24 3 years ago

This in an ad for a Bally Rocket III with what looks like (from limited photos) a stain/corrosion ring on the lockbar, a grungy looking cab in the front, and at least one broken mushroom bumper:

“These machines sell for $5,000+ restored. This one needs a light restoration-not a major project-no broken or cracked parts as I can tell. Was stored inside for the past 10 years.”

#25 3 years ago

Just saw this common one for EM ads:

“Works...contacts need cleaning.”

#26 3 years ago

“Great condition! Does need new launching spring and serviced, but other than that, it is good to go!“

I wonder what would be included under “serviced.”

9 months later
    #27 2 years ago

Just saw this common one:

“in outstanding condition for its age”

#28 2 years ago

We stored inside for the last 10 years. What about the decades before that?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

We stored inside for the last 10 years. What about the decades before that?

But doesn’t ten years of inside storage automatically undo all damage done before that?

#30 2 years ago

But doesn’t ten years of inside storage automatically undo all damage done before that?

I guess you’re right!

#31 2 years ago

“Game was cured for 10 years.”

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-pinhead-seller-spin-on-fb-cl-etc?hl=goodomens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.