(Topic ID: 190556)

Non-pinball Stuff pinball has given you the confidence to fix?

By BC_Gambit

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5132 (resized).JPG
    18623336_10154821270468710_4510766909177395471_o (resized).jpg
    IMG_1513 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I am reminded of the time I brought my HOU IM home, and seemingly within hours I was tearing ramps off to help replace the decent black rubbers with spiffy white ones. Given that was my most expensive pinball purchase to date it took a bit of confidence (crazyness?) to immediately start tearing down a multi-thousand dolllar purchase.

BUT my pinball hobby has given me the skills (and tool collection) to repair lots of other things around the house. What are some of your highlights?

Within the last 6 weeks or so I solved an intermittent headlight issue on my Infiniti. After looking into it online, there was a suggestion to dig a plastic box out from the engine bay and have a look at the circuit board inside for broken solder traces.

Sure enough, there was a mix of ~2 obviously blown solder joints, 2 ones that could be on their way out, and to micro cracks that I could only see with my magnifying glass. Out comes my trusty pinball solder station and voila... fixed my headlights (fingers crossed... I have had zero problems since : ).

What non-pinball stuff around the house has pinball given you the super hero skills to fix?

#6 6 years ago

Neat (surprising!) responses so far!

I dug into my bottom mount refrigerator in the last few months (2x) to try to fix an icing issue. I think it ended up being a clogged water drain (meant to let water flow after the heating element/thawing cycle) AND an issue caused by when one of our fridge magnets fell and kept the freezer a teeny bit unseeled (leading to ice buildup).

I ended up saving hundreds in repair bills and honestly probably would have bought a new fridge once it iced up again ('cause its broken and I don't want to spend hundreds more to fix it if will only stay fixed a few weeks).

I don`t think I would have learned the skills and had the confidence to tear that apart without my pinball experiences.

Go team pinball hero!

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Oh...and I forgot about removing the "light engine" from my Samsung DLP to repair/replace the "color wheel". I've repaired that thing twice since 2004...if it goes again I'm done with it. (Free...non working 61" DLP TV for anyone who wants it when is goes again)

Awesome, I sold my DLP ~6 years ago when the bulb was going... but it was "only" a 50" set so I was wanting to move up to 60" anyways. It was a good set and interesting technology; congrats on THAT repair.

Even getting the parts would have caused many people to turn away .

I replaced two bathroom fans ~2 years ago (fan/motor part only) and got away with "modifying" the existing housings to fit the new components. Again... pinball inspired.

And about a month ago I replaced my range hood fan motor with a new one. Kids stuff for a hardened pinball repair nerd .

Hardest part was tracking down the right part for a not-insane price.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Multiple plumbing issues (broken toilet, clogged sink, etc). it has made me think that being a plumber is probably relatively lucrative, given how easy the most common fixes are.
    My clothes dryer was recently shaking itself to death. Taking that apart was awkward, but in the end it was just a loose spring.
    Most stuff is pretty easy when you get down to it. If something doesn't work, there is no harm in trying to fix it yourself. Worst case is you need to call someone, which is what you would have had to do anyway.

Plumbing was something I always thought would be hard to self teach, and the punishment for screwing up so severe (e.g. lookee here, I just flooded my house cause that thing I thought was tight loosened and...) it was something I avoided.

There are still some things I will call a plumber for (installing a hot water tank, fixing a leak on a major water line etc.) but I have become better at replacing components. E.g. I had to do the shower hot/cold water (tap on/off) cartridge 2x in the last year, one for each of our bathrooms.

I am not sure I would have been able to do that as easily pre-pinball, though all these repairs do start to snowball in terms of my comfort level as the years have gone on.

Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah it's been relegated to the basement for years...replaced by a 65" Panasonic plasma in 2009 which was just recently replaced by a 65" Vizio 4K HDR/Dolby Vision set. I liked that the DLP's could not suffer "burn-in" and they were very good gaming sets with very low lag. But fixing the color wheel (twice) wasn't exactly cheap and I've also replaced three bulbs on it at about $85 a pop.

Yikes, I know that is what those bulbs cost but that does tend to add up. I have been tempted to get a new TV, and was waiting for OLEDs to become more affordable. Hopefully the burn-in "scares" and some other early issues get worked out and I can pick up a nice set in ~2-3 years. If not LED lit LCD it is, fine.

I appreciate self lit technologies (even plasma "back in the day"), I just don't want to have to police our main set and get worried every time one of the kids or my wife leaves something on pause and wanders away for hours .

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

BC_GAMBIT....I'm having the same issue with my fridgerator but have been too lazy to pull it out. That's good info...I might be PMing you

From the responses so far it sounds like pinside might get an appliance repair and plumbing issue subforum

And FWIW I had my bottom mount freezer fully disassembled in ~ an hour, hour and a half, but that was with figuring out how to even diassemble a few key pieces. I managed to learn a few things during reassembly, but now I am an expert . Or at least it is running well, until the next time it breaks (hopefully years from now).

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Everything.
    The problem is, I probably shouldn't have even attempted half the stuff I suddenly feel like I'm an expert in.
    It's a miracle my house hasn't blown up yet.

I wondered when the first "story of regret" was going to show up

Quoted from TimeBandit:Water damaged phones. I have a lot of kids and phones get a lot of careless treatment. Breakdown the phone, hot air gun to dry out, clean up with alcohol, reassemble, easy.

Wow; lucky me, so far I haven't had to explore this... were the phones powered on when they became wet?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRS80:

This was awhile ago. At work we had a protocol converter for a printer. Got a second one, it didn't work quite the same way. Call mfr, the software was different revs. Asked if the software for the old converter would work on the new one. Yes, but would have to send it back and pay to reprogram it... and wait. Opened up the box - the software was on EPROM (like I said, this was ahem..well.. quite awhile ago.) Happened to have a few of those EPROMS from my collection, out came the EPROM burner and we were up and running!
    --TRS80

That's awesome; pure pinball skill. And one thing I have never dove into (EPROM burning).

Quoted from NPO:

Gave me the confidence to re-felt the 300 lbs 1 piece slate of my pool table after having it moved from Dayton, OH to Navarre, FL due to my PCS as active duty.
    Also, I managed to get this slate in by MYSELF. Yeah, the ingenuity was strong. I think I'm still taking a mental vacation after that (2 weeks ago).

Yikes; I am not sure how you did that (some sort of rigid backing material that you had to slide off once it was on the pool table or ?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-pinball-stuff-pinball-has-given-you-the-confidence-to-fix?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.