Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MK6PIN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Will a gfci protect my stern pinball if I don’t have a ground? Long story short my house was built in 1909 and most rooms are not grounded. I know I can hook up a gfci without a ground but will it protect my games?

#2 4 years ago

Buy a good surge protector at the very least

#3 4 years ago

Higher the joules, the better the protection

#4 4 years ago

NO! It will not. It is a boat anchor without a ground. I would keep my game unplugged when not in use and Never play them during a thunderstorm.

#5 4 years ago

I plan on keeping them unplugged when not in use, I was just making sure it’s safe to play

#6 4 years ago

Its not real difficult to pound a ground rod and connect a ground to electrical system. You should look into it by calling a local electrician. Look at as an investment into safety and the long term welfare of your games.

#7 4 years ago

By code, a GFCI can replace a non-grounded outlet to provide personnel protection against shocks. It won't protect the game against surges, but neither will a grounded outlet. You will need a surge protector for that. For a surge protector to work you do need a grounded system.

If you can't establish a good ground and run an equipment grounding conductor to all your receptacles, a GFCI is an acceptable alternative for personnel protection only, not equipment protection.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

By code, a GFCI can replace a non-grounded outlet to provide personnel protection against shocks. It won't protect the game against surges, but neither will a grounded outlet.

This,

Even old wiring from the era of your house are "grounded" through the neutral wire, running back through your service (alternating current). "Grounding" connectors (green wire) were established to protect against a fault in a device that passed current to earth ground (potentially you or your equipment in between) that wasn't connected to service ground. Electricity always looks for the shortest, quickest way to dissipate.
    A surge/ spike protector doesn't function on a 2 wire system (no way to route the short straight to earth ground ). Your service will need to be changed to a 3 wire system...standard code for quite some time.

I'd be more worried about life safety than the pins, honestly.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'd be more worried about life safety than the pins, honestly.

Thank you for your concern, but life safety is not really an issue as a gfci still trips without a ground. I would love to convert my over 100 year old house to have grounds on all outlets but that would require digging into most of the walls which by the way are lath and plaster so not a cheap option by far. So for now I’m looking at doing what I needed to to get by. I’ll probably tap into the closest outlet that has ground to borrow a ground for this outlet. I believe that this is okay now per NEC 2014

Also looking at Zerosurge surge protectors that claim to not need a ground to function.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Awalls:

Thank you for your concern, but life safety is not really an issue as a gfci still trips without a ground. I would love to convert my over 100 year old house to have grounds on all outlets but that would require digging into most of the walls which by the way are lath and plaster so not a cheap option by far. So for now I’m looking at doing what I needed to to get by. I’ll probably tap into the closest outlet that has ground to borrow a ground for this outlet. I believe that this is okay now per NEC 2014
    Also looking at Zerosurge surge protectors that claim to not need a ground to function.

If your house is a raised foundation home adding a few plugs can be done without damage to your walls with the right electrician, but if it’s a standard foundation home then that’s a little bit trickier.

#11 4 years ago

A gfci will not protect any device. It will only protect YOU from getting shocked, or worse. The device has to be shorting in some way for the gfci to trip. Your house circuit fuse protects your house, not you or the device.

If I were you, upgrading my electric with a proper ground would be a first priority.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Awalls:

I get it...Owned a house with similar challenges years ago. My life safety comment was more related to fire than electrocution.

Sounds like you got it..Good luck ( we're using NEC2017 currently, btw, so you may want to reference that version)...

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

A gfci will not protect any device. It will only protect YOU from getting shocked, or worse. The device has to be shorting in some way for the gfci to trip. Your house circuit fuse protects your house, not you or the device.
    If I were you, upgrading my electric with a proper ground would be a first priority.

Yep ( though structure still at risk...many houses burned prior to grounding system change)...And where I live, I couldn't sell my house ( pass home inspection by the city) until I converted. PITA, but I had a crawl space, so got it done. Plaster walls...Nightmares on many levels.. ugh

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-grounded-gfci and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.