2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cwest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SMD2 (resized).jpg
    SMD1 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I have 2 pins built in the mid-90's (Indianapolis 500 - 1995 and World Challenge Soccer 1994) and am wondering if I need the non-ghosting for the playfield or would regular SMD bulbs work fine? Also, would 1SMD be sufficiently brighter than standard incandescent or should I go for 2SMD? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

For GI I use 2SMD everywhere. Comet sunflight with frosted lenses are my preferred bulb in most cases. Warm or cool in select machines based on the playfield and plastic colors. In many cases these bulbs also look great in controlled lamps (inserts, jackpot/ramp lamps/etc). If you see ghosting (light illumination or flickering when it should be off) then you can try the non-ghosting bulbs. Don't go crazy on the colors. Reds, blues and sometimes greens can look good. Orange and yellow I just go with a white bulb.

#3 2 years ago

I use 2smd for GI and 1smd for inserts. For reference, 1smd is a little brighter than incandescent and 2smd bulbs are used in new games. Non ghosting bulbs are only needed if insert ghosts. I always just bought regular bulbs. Check out the ocd boards if you want to keep fade effects and eliminate any ghosting/strobing issues. With those boards, you need regular bulbs.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I use 2smd for GI and 1smd for inserts. For reference, 1smd is a little brighter than incandescent and 2smd bulbs are used in new games. Non ghosting bulbs are only needed if insert ghosts. I always just bought regular bulbs. Check out the ocd boards if you want to keep fade effects and eliminate any ghosting/strobing issues. With those boards, you need regular bulbs.

Thanks. I pulled one of the bulbs shown in the pictures below from the back glass of my World Challenge Soccer and put it in the playfield insert on my I500 machine and it worked great, no ghosting issues and just the right brightness (much better than the incandescent bulb that was in there). I would love to match this bulb but am not sure if it is a non-ghosting and what the SMD values is. Anyone able to ID this bulb?

SMD1 (resized).jpgSMD1 (resized).jpgSMD2 (resized).jpgSMD2 (resized).jpg
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

For GI I use 2SMD everywhere. Comet sunflight with frosted lenses are my preferred bulb in most cases. Warm or cool in select machines based on the playfield and plastic colors. In many cases these bulbs also look great in controlled lamps (inserts, jackpot/ramp lamps/etc). If you see ghosting (light illumination or flickering when it should be off) then you can try the non-ghosting bulbs. Don't go crazy on the colors. Reds, blues and sometimes greens can look good. Orange and yellow I just go with a white bulb.

Thanks. The incandescent bulbs in there now look great but I'd like them to be a bit brighter (inserts and GI).

#6 2 years ago

Definitely a 555 bulb in any case..Single diode looks like 1SMD.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cwest:

Thanks. I pulled one of the bulbs shown in the pictures below from the back glass of my World Challenge Soccer and put it in the playfield insert on my I500 machine and it worked great, no ghosting issues and just the right brightness (much better than the incandescent bulb that was in there). I would love to match this bulb but am not sure if it is a non-ghosting and what the SMD values is. Anyone able to ID this bulb?[quoted image][quoted image]

That's a bulb from CoinTaker. Check their website and you should be able to match up the diode size.

#8 2 years ago

The Bulb you have is an un lensed 5050 Diode (5mmx5mm)
    A frosted dome, disperses light more evenly, and brighter in a twin SMD.

GI, and Backbox benefit greatly, but the one you have can work for a smaller radius of color.

Inserts that are small, will all work well with single SMD, 2 SMD, 4 SMD, etc. You likely will need a few Non Ghosting Bulbs, but not every spot.

You can get all non ghosting, if you wish.
    The only reason to color match inserts, is if you want them darker, or even to color change,
    Your white inserts can be 3 shades of white or any color.

A Whole game can be done with Sunlight Frosted 2 SMD, everywhere, and then follow up, with a few changes for taste.

#9 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-ghosting-smd-s-or-regular?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.