Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.14 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.42 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cmack750.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

Agreed with both comments already given. Also, keep in mind that, from the pictures you attached, even the non-ghosting bulbs are SMDs. Lifespan of SMD is much longer than LED, and LEDs can dim over time.

Those comet 1 SMD 5050s are my go-to for inserts and backbox (system 6, 11 and WPC
    Primarily) with the 2 SMD bulbs being a great choice for GI when you want to brighten things up a bit.

#5 5 years ago

Off topic but semi-related: the only time I've ever had a problem with those bulbs is when I've but them in GI and the machine has an attract mode that dims/brightens the lighting. In that case, they will flicker. But I'm pretty sure that would happen with most any LED/SMD....non-ghosting or not, rom patch installed or not. Your best bet there is to turn that feature off in the settings or look at an OCD board if you really want that feature. I just turn it off.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Flicker free LEDs are best for the GI.

I stand corrected. Flicker free bulbs would definitely an option in that case. But brightness options are limited, and they are really pricey....for the number of bulbs/inserts in a modern game, you could just go with standard SMD bulbs and would almost save enough to pay outright for an OCD board, which gives you much finer control over everything.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cmack750.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-ghosting-or-smd-leds?tu=cmack750 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.