Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.14 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.42 PM (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

So quick question.

What games are better to use NON GHOSTING LEDs?

And which games are fine with Surface Mounted Diods?

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.53.42 PM (resized).png
    #2 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

What games are better to use NON GHOSTING LEDs?

Games that ghost, but don't have a ghosting patch available for the game ROM.

So far, I haven't needed to use ghosting bulbs--I don't even stock them, even though I have enough bulbs on-hand for about 3 games. The games I work on either don't ghost, have a ghosting patch for the ROM (WPC), or the ghosting effects are so minor that it doesn't really matter most of the time (ie, Gottlieb System 3).

I use all SMD bulbs, rather than the older LED style.

#3 5 years ago

Agreed. Only buy non ghosting bulbs if you see you need them. Most games don’t need more than a handful or the ghosting is super minimal.

However. Almost all EM inserts I’ve seen ghost pretty good, so if I swap out incandescent there I always go non ghosting.

Also smd all the way. Get nothing else.

#4 5 years ago

Agreed with both comments already given. Also, keep in mind that, from the pictures you attached, even the non-ghosting bulbs are SMDs. Lifespan of SMD is much longer than LED, and LEDs can dim over time.

Those comet 1 SMD 5050s are my go-to for inserts and backbox (system 6, 11 and WPC
    Primarily) with the 2 SMD bulbs being a great choice for GI when you want to brighten things up a bit.

#5 5 years ago

Off topic but semi-related: the only time I've ever had a problem with those bulbs is when I've but them in GI and the machine has an attract mode that dims/brightens the lighting. In that case, they will flicker. But I'm pretty sure that would happen with most any LED/SMD....non-ghosting or not, rom patch installed or not. Your best bet there is to turn that feature off in the settings or look at an OCD board if you really want that feature. I just turn it off.

#6 5 years ago

Non ghosting LEDs are needed in inserts only for your DE and System 11 through WPC95 from my experience.

Using non-ghosting LEDs in the inserts on older SS games, may still have a few that still ghost. Resistors maybe needed on random insert bulb sockets.

Non ghosting in the GI is not needed since there is no ghosting issues there because the GI does not turn on and off like the inserts do, though regular and non-ghosting LEDs both have a flicker in the GI lighting.

Flicker free LEDs are best for the GI.

#7 5 years ago

Many Stern Games...POTC, Spiderman.....need a few non ghosting bulbs in inserts.....

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I stand corrected. Flicker free bulbs would definitely an option in that case. But brightness options are limited, and they are really pricey....for the number of bulbs/inserts in a modern game, you could just go with standard SMD bulbs and would almost save enough to pay outright for an OCD board, which gives you much finer control over everything.

#9 5 years ago

a lot of times I'll do everything in 1 SMD, see what ghosts and then just order those in non-ghosting. much cheaper than doing an entire machine that may not have issues. Usually, it's just a handful of inserts in an entire machine.

#10 5 years ago

Non ghosting LEDs are needed in inserts only for your DE and System 11 through WPC95 from my experience.
    Using non-ghosting LEDs in the inserts on older SS games, may still have a few that still ghost. Resistors maybe needed on random insert bulb sockets.
    Non ghosting in the GI is not needed since there is no ghosting issues there because the GI does not turn on and off like the inserts do, though regular and non-ghosting LEDs both have a flicker in the GI lighting.

I just finished a customers high speed in 5050 smd under the pf. No ghosting at all, but I have an incandescent HS right beside it, and it really shows how an OCD board will make a difference in the "sweep" effect (for lack of a better term)

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from gregh:

I just finished a customers high speed in 5050 smd under the pf. No ghosting at all

Can you post link to what LEDs you used in the inserts? There are regular 5050 smd and non-ghosting LEDs of the same size.

#12 5 years ago

The customer supplied them, so I'm unsure of the brand or where he got them. They don't have a comet stamp on them, so I can't identify. I ordered some for myself from ali baba, and they're pretty much the same thing. Standard frosted 5050smd.

Basically the chinese version of these:

https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050.htm

#13 5 years ago

Those are not non-ghosting bulbs, so I am surprised to hear they are not ghosting. Sometimes it is more apparent if you go into the single lamp test. There you would have the one that should be on and several others half lit and many other dimly lit in the same row or column. Odd things it that is doesn't affect all columns/rows either when some do ghost.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks of all the great info guys!!

#15 5 years ago

used to be a list of what games ghosted and what didn't, anybody remember where that was at?

#17 5 years ago

Those are not non-ghosting bulbs, so I am surprised to hear they are not ghosting. Sometimes it is more apparent if you go into the single lamp test. There you would have the one that should be on and several others half lit and many other dimly lit in the same row or column. Odd things it that is doesn't affect all columns/rows either when some do ghost.

Agreed, i was quite surprised myself honestly. But hey, ill take it for a win.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Many Stern Games...POTC, Spiderman.....need a few non ghosting bulbs in inserts.....

any certain area art? how many does it usually take on spiderman to knock down the horrible ghosting? 5-10?

#19 5 years ago

Its mostly in the Mode wheel, to my memory, as well as possibly outlane, and another.
    Memory says 5-8.....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-ghosting-or-smd-leds?hl=gregh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.