Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Mando
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Going to buy some coin takers for my NGG...was going to do the 3-LED from pinball life but they are out of white for a little while Anyhow...wondering if its worth the extra $$$ for their non-ghosting ones...someone else here did their NGG and reported no ghosting.

Also, would it be tacky to make some of the white inserts a diff color like blue/green instead?

#2 12 years ago

I have some cool white Ablaze 3-LED for sale! I have them up on the Phoenix CL for $20. I have 37 of them. I only had them for 2 weeks, there were in my machine for 10 minutes and then I pulled them as they were too bright for my taste!

#3 12 years ago

The non ghosting / premium are worth it for inserts. The retro white look great in the GI. (just my 2 cents)

#4 12 years ago

Ahh ok let me think about that for just a min 555 or 444?

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

The non ghosting / premium are worth it for inserts. The retro white look great in the GI. (just my 2 cents)

Yea a good portion of my GI has retro white already mixed with a few superb rights.which was done before I got the machine.

#6 12 years ago

I got my first batch of Cointaker non-ghosting LEDs put in my Whitewater recently and love them, look great! Wish/hope the price goes down a little to be in line with Pinball Life's prices for theirs. I'll be doing them on my Lord of the Rings next.

#7 12 years ago

Yea I think I am about to buy them for my inserts/controlled. Price is pretty close with the 10% pinside discount...if they are even a touch better than the PB life ones I am just going to go with them I notice they say no strobing..I do notice some LED's tend to have a very slight almost imperceptible flicker to them when on..I assume this is what they help resolve I also have a few white minis just in case some of the really small inserts are too bright.

#8 12 years ago

I think non-ghosting LED's would be a waste of money for NGG. WPC-95 games don't ghost the way the older games do. I don't have any ghosting at all in my TOTAN.

#9 12 years ago

Yea thats why I was asking..any other potential benefit? As stated I did have someone report no ghosting in their NGG...I do seem to notice a slight ghost in a pop bumper that has a LED in it but that may be normal?

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

... any other potential benefit?

Like you already mentioned, Cointaker claims that the premium LED's reduce strobing as well. I have no experience with them yet, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. As far as using color LED's under white inserts, it's all a matter of taste. I've done it on some of my games, and I think it can look really nice if you don't overdo it. For example, I made the door handle on my TZ purple.

#11 12 years ago

Cool thanks..its an extra $18 for all the inserts..might as well give them a shot. I ordered a couple in a diff color can always re-do things in the future

#12 12 years ago

Good luck! Make sure to post before and after pics.

#13 12 years ago

I put blue frosted LED's under clear insert lenses on my HS. I figure the art around those inserts is blue, might as well give them a try, and they look great there! The Ablaze 3-LED cool white was to much as it will blind ya after a while. I dont care for any LED in G.I. or any location your eye can see, just to blinding. Under inserts and further up playfield outta sight LED's are awesome. Gotta position LED placement tastefully.

#14 12 years ago

before and after pics will be posted! Lets just hope I don't somehow knock something loose and screw it up haahhaha. Should be fine though

#15 12 years ago

I've got LOTR LE and SM and have been told that non-ghosters are a must....trying out both PBL and Cointaker....

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Yea I think I am about to buy them for my inserts/controlled. Price is pretty close with the 10% pinside discount...if they are even a touch better than the PB life ones I am just going to go with them

The cointakers are MUCH brighter. The pinballlife while work well are equivalent to single LED in brightness. (IMHO)

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

The pinballlife while work well are equivalent to single LED in brightness.

...which are probably still 2-3x brighter than the original incandescent.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

The cointakers are MUCH brighter. The pinballlife while work well are equivalent to single LED in brightness. (IMHO)

Have you tried the new non-ghosters from Cointaker yet? Hopefully I get my order this week.....I want brighter in some of the areas on SM that definitely need it...

#19 12 years ago

If it's really dark get their ULTRA Brights. Work amazing in the back corners.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

If it's really dark get their ULTRA Brights. Work amazing in the back corners.

That's what I was thinking too, the "ghosting" in the back won't matter I wouldn't think......

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I put blue frosted LED's under clear insert lenses on my HS. I figure the art around those inserts is blue, might as well give them a try, and they look great there! The Ablaze 3-LED cool white was to much as it will blind ya after a while. I dont care for any LED in G.I. or any location your eye can see, just to blinding. Under inserts and further up playfield outta sight LED's are awesome. Gotta position LED placement tastefully.

the coin taker colored frosted are perfect for GI. They radiate light well and aren't too bright if the eye can see directly.

#22 12 years ago

The results are in. Looks great, driving range can be a little too bright may swap those out for a color or mini's. I used mini's for hole 1,2,3 the rest are the non ghosting. I don't notice any ghosting in the few that are not non-ghosting though so I think it holds true that the WPC-95 games are good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 37.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-ghosting-leds-worth-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.