(Topic ID: 183617)

Non drilled or dimpled PF. What is the best way to go about it.

By zr11990

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am finally starting the process of swapping out the Earthshaker
pf I bought from Pat Lawlor a few years ago. The major hurdle will be that there are no holes drilled for anything. What is the best way to go about making sure I get the holes in the right places. This seems like a daunting task as getting the holes for posts in the wrong places will screw up everything. There are some holes in the old pf that are way off that I would like to change as well.

I thought about getting two sheets of Plexiglas and clamping it to the pf and drilling the holes in it then doing the same to the new one. This is really going to suck

#2 7 years ago

if your old playfield is destroyed (and can be further) you lay it on top of the new playfield and drill through the old holes to place them in the new playfield. The you separate them and drill through the dimple locations with a smaller bit. Place them back together and tap a nail through the dimple holes (or drill small pilot holes).

The dead simplest way to do it is ship it to Ron Kruzman (if he does this title) and have him do it for you.

#3 7 years ago

I did a PF swap with a non-dimpled/drilled earthshaker PF. Just clamped them together and drilled through the old one into the new one for the top side stuff. Didn't bother with dimples for the bottom - just put the mechs where they belong.

#4 7 years ago

Maybe use tracing paper and take a rubbing of the old playfield, then overlay it on the new one for drilling.

#5 7 years ago

Strongly, STRONGLY recommend reaching out to kruzman to see if he has the template for Earthshaker. You only get one chance to do that right. If he has it, you can ship it to him for drilling; he has templates for a ton of games. Might take him a bit to get to it, but if you're not asking him to re-clear it, it isnt a super long job. It WILL be a frustrating, long job for you if you don't have the setup though.

clamping the playfields together is definitely a good idea in a pinch

#6 7 years ago

Clamp playfields together to get topside holes transferred.

Back dimples are mostly unimportant, so only worry about dimples for the mechs that matter, like slingshots and the like.

If you have the Mylar screen protector that came off of a new LCD TV, that makes the perfect template if you poke the holes through with a scratch awl.

Before you depopulate the old playfield, remember to trace all the mech locations with a sharp pencil. This saves mega time getting the orientations correct on the new one.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks guys. This is going to be a fun one.

1 month later
#9 7 years ago

Well I thought I was going to do this myself by taking a sheet of plexi and drilling my holes to make a template but the plexi broke in half the second hole I drilled. I can't bring myself to destroy a pf no matter how beat it is. So I sent it to Kruzman.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Well I thought I was going to do this myself by taking a sheet of plexi and drilling my holes to make a template but the plexi broke in half the second hole I drilled. I can't bring myself to destroy a pf no matter how neat it is. So I sent it to Kruzman.

Smart move.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-drilled-or-dimpled-pf-what-is-the-best-way-to-go-about-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.