Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Leosac
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Considering a purchase of a non-working Paragon.

It won't boot.upon power up the only thing that lights is one lone light in the middle of the playfield. No GI, no attract mode, no displays, no sound....nothing.

Does this level of nothing ring a bell?

I'm a novice at repairs of boards and connectors so would probably have to send out for repairs. Haven't finalized a price yet. Is this worth taking on?

#2 8 years ago

You have to count the flashes on the MPU board to see why the game is not booting.

Often the battery has leaked and destroyed the board.

#3 8 years ago

Agree with vid, you have to count the flashes on the MPU board. Battery damage is often bad on these boards. If your not getting any flashes it could be anything from lack of power, bad chips, bad chip sockets, bad reset sections, broken traces, bad cables, or a combination of all of the above. If you are not willing to work on it yourself it will probably be too expensive to get it fixed to be worth it. If you are willing to work on it yourself then I would take it at a good price. I just bought 2 pins using almost the same boards and neither one would boot. I got a good package deal on them and got them booting. But I had to repair broken traces, bad ribbon cables, bad chip sockets, bad chips and bad power cables before they would boot. Once I got them booting I had to fix switch problems and lamp problems. If I hired someone to fix it I'm sure the price would have been way more than they are worth. But doing the work myself made it a good deal. If you consider all the time I put in then I probably got paid a couple cents an hour but I had fun and it was worth it to me. Again if I hired someone I'm sure I would have lost a lot of money and it would be much cheaper to just buy them in good condition. So if your willing to learn and do the work yourself you can get a really good deal and have fun learning how to fix it. But if you are going to pay someone to fix then I would pass on them and buy one in good condition.

#4 8 years ago

Agree with all the above plus stress that it depends on the price. If it's really cheap then it may be worth it. Other questions- have you played this title before and will it be a keeper in your collection once brought back to life?

What is the condition of the rest of the game, playfield, backglass, etc.? Is it a local and easy pick up? Do you like projects?

Eric

#5 8 years ago

Worst case you would need to get an Altek ultimate MPU board, and I would suggest an Great Plains updated rectifier board. Assuming you have MPU acid damage.

#6 8 years ago

Learn to fix ( which most people can do if they are interested enough)

Or buy a working one

To fix you will need a good soldering gun, magnifying glass, and contact crimpers. About $200 for all. Hours of reading ( which is not really that complicated)

The MPU on many Bally games from that era are FUBAR, the power supplies are shot, the rectifier boards need rebuild, the connectors need repinned, the pins on every board at minimum need resoldered if not replaced. There's other issues to learn. Those are just the most common. The game is almost 40 years old. It has to be rehabbed to make it reliable. Once you learn how to do all that stuff you can fix one up pretty quick. There is a price for entry on the first one.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for all the responses.

I have not played this game. I'm just starting to build my collection and this came available locally. So I can't really say if it's a keeper, but I'd lean toward yes.

The playfield looks really good, maybe a 9. The cabinet, inside and out is very clean. With that I figured the rest of the game must be in decent working order. Having not played it, it's the physical condition and look of the play field that has made it attractive to me.

If the play field is in great shape, would time alone create all the other potential issues? Any opinion on what price is it worth obtaining and throwing money at new boards to see if that fixes it?

#8 8 years ago

Paragon is usually one of the favorites in the early bally ss world. I think a really nice one can fetch a grand maybe?

Take the Backglass off and inspect the MPU. If the battery leaked all over the computer board, expect to have to replace it. You could use that to lean on the seller for a better price if you see fit. Replacement original is probably around $100 (hard to find), new repro board is like $200.

#9 8 years ago

Barakandl is one of the top Bally guys, so I'd trust what he's saying.

It really depends on whether you want a project, the price, and how nice it looks. If the playfield is actually a 9 and the backglass is good, I'd give $600-700ish for a Paragon that needs an MPU

#10 8 years ago

Very helpful points of reference. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-booting-paragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.