• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_07441.jpg
IMG_20151004_1424231.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So first things first, I do not have confirmation this was a working game originally, so all parts must be treated as suspect!

Re-import AFM. Correctly converted voltage to 120.

Original boards were pretty trashed, so rottendog power driver and CPU.

Originally power on game and I get LEDa 201 and 202 on solid. Also as soon as I closed the high voltage interlock the flippers locked on.

Game does not boot at all, but I do hear the power-on bong.

I have back-tracked and done the following:
Checked voltages on the power driver board. As expected, all are spot-on.
Checked voltages running to the power driver board. Nice clean 5 and 12v.
Replaced game ROM with a freshly burned one.
No change.
Swapped all ribbon cables for kicks. No change.
Tried booting with no ribbon cables. No change.
Next step was to try a different CPU. I pulled a WPC95 off the bench. Moved over everything to it. This was an original (not a rottendog).
I even replaced the U4. No change.

So the only constants are the rottendog power driver and the ASIC.

I'm going to run to the shop tomorrow and try the CPUs in a junkyard we have to see if that helps.

I'm really just a bit stumped and got frustrated to the point I walked away for a bit.

IMG_20151004_1424231.jpgIMG_20151004_1424231.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Did you check all fuses?Try reseating all connectors to the boards and the main fuse in cabinet.Lift up playfield and check and see if the main connector from playfield to backbox is well connected.

#3 8 years ago

You need to isolate things to narrow down the scope of the problem. Putting the CPU in a known good game is a good start. If it still doesn't boot, then confirm each socketed chip is good in the good board.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#4 8 years ago

I took it down as far as just the CPU with the power ONLY and no change.

Replaced with a brand new ROM.

The only thing that I've not been able to swap is the ASIC, but who knows...I've never seen a wonky ASIC, but there is a first time for everything!

Quoted from Cycloneman:

Did you check all fuses?Try reseating all connectors to the boards and the main fuse in cabinet.Lift up playfield and check and see if the main connector from playfield to backbox is well connected.

Nope, not a fuse. Every voltage coming off of the power driver board is spot on. Not concerned with the playfield at this point since I've disconnected that harness.

#5 8 years ago

OK, let me rephrase... You need to determine if it's the CPU, the driver board, or the rest of the game/cabinet/wiring that's keeping it from booting. My bet is CPU, and confirming it doesn't boot in a known good game is a good start. If the CPU doesn't boot in the known good game, then swap chips one by one to confirm they're good.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#6 8 years ago

Yep. I have my Rottendog, my borrowed CPU, and my rottendog power driver board. Tomorrow I'm going to swap things and go through some standard process of elimination.

I just was hoping that maybe someone had come across this one beforehand, but Ill get it!

#7 8 years ago

Hey Geck
You have probably checked it already but is the security chip in correctly and is it an AFM chip?
Wally

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey Geck
You have probably checked it already but is the security chip in correctly and is it an AFM chip?
Wally

Yep and yep.

Good advice for the record though!

#9 8 years ago

OK...so yesterday I laid out three WPC95 CPUs in front of a working TOTAN. After a long bit of musical parts....I was still stumped.

But finally nailed it down. It was a bad 6809. I've not had one of these fail on me before, so I was mistakenly put into a false sense of security that it couldn't be that...But I was wrong.

And, silly stupid me, we sold a bunch of CPUs at the show last weekend, most of which had 6809's in them.

So yep, I ordered one.

#10 8 years ago

OK...better

New 6809 did the trick.

The only weird thing that's going on is that the left flipper is locking on as soon as I close the high voltage interlock. None of the other coils are. Definitely not a bad switch. In switch test the flipper switch works correctly as does the EOS.

Even if I unplug the flipper opto board totally it still locks on. Does not indicate the flipper button being triggered, so the switch isn't shorting closed.

It's a brand new coil, and I did check, it is wired correctly. So I'm wondering what it may be beyond that....

Shorted coil? Bad diode? I think I have another spare hanging around, so I might just swap it to see.

IMG_07441.jpgIMG_07441.jpg

#11 8 years ago

The driver could have failed, locking the solenoid on.

#12 8 years ago

Would be interesting to see...it's a brand new rottendog.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Would be interesting to see...it's a brand new rottendog.

That doesn't mean much. Same troubleshooting procedures apply. You have a short. Track it down. Test the transistor for grounding. Pretty easy test with a meter.

#14 8 years ago

Yep, I totally get that. And it's my own mistake to trust that just because it came out of a sealed baggie it's perfect

#15 8 years ago

Rotten dog power supplies can be riddled with problems, I've had the same issue with a rotten dog in a STTNG... Thought it was the game the whole time but I was wrong

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from CASTHOF:

Rotten dog power supplies can be riddled with problems, I've had the same issue with a rotten dog in a STTNG... Thought it was the game the whole time but I was wrong

Yep. I had (well still HAVE) a paragon with a totally shot rectifier board. Figured might as well swap it with a new rottendog. Drove me nuts for weeks trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. Turns out it shipped with a bad thermistor (I think). Rottendog stuff is definitely an invaluable resource, but the QC sometimes is a challenge.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed on their service with this issue. I reached out to Jim directly via phone and email and got zero response. He's been a super guy to deal with in the past, but man, this is a bit disappointing. Between the two new boards in the machine, it's $500+ worth of gear. A phone call back might have been helpful...but I guess I will go back to doing what I do on the 20 year old stuff and break out the multimeter and soldering iron

#17 8 years ago

And....multiple bad transistors on the power driver board.

I tested Q87 and was bad. Tested a few others. Some good, some bad.

So as much as I'd love to just steal an unused one and swap it with the bad, I'm not inclined to take the soldering iron to a brand new board. Guess RMA time.

Maybe tomorrow Ill start tearing down my TAFG then....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-booting-afm-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.