(Topic ID: 297211)

Noisy bouncy Bally Flippers (Hokus Pokus)

By Incomer

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi all,

I have a Hokus Pokus where the flippers were weak and noisy

I went for a full rebuild kit, including new flipper coils, but they are still much noisier than they should be - very noticeable when playing
There's a brief video here

I also get a distinct "bounce" when the ball strikes a raised flipper bat

The coils are held tightly, and don't vibrate.
The noise is not reduced if I apply hand pressure to the coils or the coil stop bracket

Although I wired the new coils as the ones I replaced, this appears to be different to the wiring in Clays guide http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#flips, so I tried swapping the EOS wire to the lug fed by the flipper button. This just resulted in very weak flippers

What am I missing here?
Any ideas gratefully received
David

#2 2 years ago

Put your old coil stops back in and see if it goes away.

Modern Coil stops don't work well on EMs. You need the older style dual metal stops so they don't get magnetized.

If you old ones are really worn you can swap out some from less used coils like the credit wheel or other mech like that. Put the new ones in those assemblies.

#4 2 years ago

Make sure the EOS switches are adjusted properly.

#5 2 years ago

Black_Knight I swapped the two old coil stops, one at a time, into the right flipper - but neither made any difference sadly

ArgosySK I squeezed the coil stop very tight when refitting it - and I have a spring washer, so there is no movement in the coil

Cash_Riprock The EOS switches are fine. They open cleanly and are making good contact.

The flippers are powerful, but as I say - very noisy, and bouncy

#6 2 years ago

I also tried rotating the flipper coil sideways, in case the new ones were a bit larger in the casing than the old

#7 2 years ago

Whilst you're in there I would rotate the coils to keep the lugs away from the stop.

What's it sound like when it's down & glass on?

#8 2 years ago

TheLaw Like this

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Make sure the EOS switches are adjusted properly.

They seem okay, nice spark coming off of them so looks like they are opening fine.

#10 2 years ago

Can someone who really knows about this weigh in? Is it normal for EM flippers to be this noisy? I have read in a different thread that you need to align the coil stop to be square to the plunger, but I have no idea how you would accomplish that.

#11 2 years ago

Your return springs might be too strong.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Studentprince:

Your return springs might be too strong.

nice one! To test that, push/compress the spring to reduce tension when the thing is buzzing ... or remove the spring (and always play the game with the playfield vertical )

for coil stop alignment, you can loosen the coil stop so it can shift around a little and see if it still buzzes when loose.

the brown plunger link doesn't hit the end of the coil sleeve, does it? Sometimes you need to trim the coil sleeve to shorten it a bit otherwise the plunger is held up off the stop.

the bouncy issue is usually the EOS switch isn't closing soon enough. When a ball hits the held-up flipper, the flipper deflects down enough to open the EOS and re-energize the high power coil, causing the flipper to flip again. Make the EOS close a little sooner in the plunger travel.

#13 2 years ago

Did you flipper rebuild kit come with the correct coil stops for an em? The correct coil stop for AC flippers is A-613-67.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noisy-bouncy-bally-flippers-hokus-pokus?hl=incomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.