Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

meant IM already own MET. love it!

Good news, IM is also SAM! Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Premium)-le & Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro) on the other hand are both SPIKE2.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

What format is the SD card?

Format is irrelevant. You don't format a card, then copy the data. You make an image of your existing card, then write that image to your back-up card. Every time you update, save an image wherever you back up your important data. Then you will always be able to use whatever software version you prefer.

Data doesn't get corrupted often for any one user. A good back-up process means you can be up an running in a few minutes. No back-up means you're waiting on someone to send you something.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think the MUCH bigger issue here is that you should NOT need to backup a < 3 year old game.

That's how computers work. If you're writing data it's sometimes going to be corrupted. Today's computers that run pinball machines run WAY more code than the machines of yesteryear and that's enabled some really great features.

Quoted from Whysnow:

It is crazy that they have planned failure already and it is in a matter of years!!!

Tech changes so fast today because ten years from now there will be components that are half the cost to manufacture and can do ten times the processing. Making the old stuff won't be profitable so no one will be doing it. Stern isn't responsible for Moore's Law. They have to live with the supply chain headaches just like the rest of the world.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Thing is all you mostly hear about are Stern node boards failing...

Because there isn't anything else to fail now, it's almost all on the node boards.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I believe the boards for spike are internally fused. If a short is detected, they shut down. Once the short is cleared, you reboot and they come back up.

Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think that is the case. They just have the ability to read current and voltage. If a failure and surge is detected, there is supposed to be a software 'fuse' and the game shuts down or the node down before before the failure cascades. In practice it doesn't seem to work very well, and even if it does, the culprit node itself is often totally blown.

There are physical fuses on the nodes that have 48v according to this section from the WWE Wrestlemania (Pro) manual.

Spikefusesinfo (resized).pngSpikefusesinfo (resized).png
#175 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

It begs the question, why?

Code requirements. SAM didn't have enough addressable memory to run today's games. The 2006 OS was an update to Whitestar and at some point HAD to be rewritten to use modern components.
Almost everything today has a microprocessor in it. The days of something running for 50 years and all the components being available are gone. That has its advantages but lastability isn't one of them.

2 weeks later
#228 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

So is Spike really a deliberate play to a nefarious plot, or just collateral damage of modern component availability and design philosophy?

Schematics are not available. That's a Stern decision and directly impacts people trying to fix boards. I still wouldn't call it a nefarious plot to sell more boards, probably more a business decision to minimize the likelihood of cheap counterfeits infesting the supply chain.

Cheap counterfeits of stuff you wouldn't think would be worth copying are out there. When I used to work for 3M Telecom we would get stuff for failure analysis that were parts we sold for pennies. Obvious to us it was a copy but the end user had no way to tell, it was copied right down to the embossed 3M logo.

1 week later
#525 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

...home buyers who are not electrically or mechanically inclined. The node system was entirely designed for that kind of customer.

That claim sounds like BS. Source?

#536 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

home buyers who are not electrically or mechanically inclined. The node system was entirely designed for that kind of customer.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That claim sounds like BS. Source?

Quoted from TreyBo69:

The Spike system was developed for the home games

If you want your claim to be believed support it with evidence. You're trying to support it with more conjecture. The fact it was first used on those games doesn't mean it was developed for the audience you claim it was. Lyman Sheats (one of the developers) has discussed this publicly. One recent discussion was in episode 73 of the Head2Head podcast https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head2head-pinball-podcast-new-australian-podcast/page/12#post-4727453

Edit: I was wrong, Lyman doesn't talk about Spike in that podcast. I'll keep looking for what I thought I remembered.

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

No way adding a few extra LEDs should blow a node board, that's horrible design.

Knowing mods are a part of the market they should be designing a power budget into the system and releasing the specs. The power budget should include some available for mods. Stern could even sell a splitter for the wiring harness.

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

it's not as if mods add any real load to these boards. In 99% of cases they're a few watts at most.

You think a modder is less likely to make a design error than a professional electronics engineer?
I disagree.

1 week later
#711 5 years ago

Close-ups of a failed Node 8. Shaker motor would not work. Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Premium)-le

Node8Back.jpgNode8Back.jpgNode8FrontLowerLeftQuadrant.jpgNode8FrontLowerLeftQuadrant.jpgNode8FrontLowerRightQuadrant.jpgNode8FrontLowerRightQuadrant.jpgNode8FrontUpperLeftQuadrant.jpgNode8FrontUpperLeftQuadrant.jpgNode8FrontUpperRightQuadrant.jpgNode8FrontUpperRightQuadrant.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-boards-some-new-bullshit?tu=yeoldpinplayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.