Topic Stats

• 744 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 52 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F5E1D36C-CEB9-481B-AD58-33AD125B6F31 (resized).jpeg
rejoice (resized).png
Node8FrontLowerLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8Back.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 5 months ago

Wow 1 switch...that is pretty pathetic.

#35 5 months ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I as a player/pinballbuyer wanted to buy MET but am passing because of the uncertainties of future repairs and node failures.

#49 5 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

If you think a node board failure will keep the game from working, hope nobody finds out what happens if your SD card becomes corrupt....

Well....wtf happens?!

#70 5 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Can someone who is an electronics technician or EE like to explain why a node board is unrepairable?

No schematics is the biggest thing it seems.
After that it just gets "harder" for most with surface mount. Not sure how readily available those components on the boards are though

#72 5 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Our distro keeps the main node board in stock and will have a replacement to you within one day.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gble-backbox-leds-not-working#post-4754155

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Any good Pinball tech can work out what is wrong with a Spike game the same as any 90s BW or SAM game.

Really? So any good pinball tech can repair a node board easier than replacing a switch on this drop target? Just wanna make sure I'm hearing you correctly

#76 5 months ago

Yes

Quoted from TheLaw:

Really? So any good pinball tech can repair a node board easier than replacing a switch on this drop target? Just wanna make sure I'm hearing you correctly

#160 5 months ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

While I still don’t feel safe with the nodes general design I’m grateful and pleased it’s working again like it should.

But are you still out on future purchases?

#165 5 months ago
Quoted from yfz450:

All you did was swap boards/IO to another area of the machine. You still have an input out on that node board that might not be used in the position it’s in now or you just didn’t notice it yet. I would check all switches in the new location.
J.

Yeah I think that's what he said.

#173 5 months ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

but I can say I'd feel pretty foolish spending $5600 on a pro that can break with no way to repair it other than to spend hundreds more for a potentially minor issue.

Yeah it's sketchy. I remember when my GB node went out and it's pretty shitty. The fact I don't even know anyone that can fix them, let alone myself, gives a total noob feeling

But let's look at the brightside...if they actually start charging tax and the prices goes up $300 it'll be even easier to quit NIB

2 weeks later
#233 5 months ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

warranty was over ?

Warranty is like 90 days

#274 4 months ago
Quoted from russdx:

might be far easier to reverse engineer then first thought

All talk until it's done.

1 week later
#477 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Complaining that you have to buy a $400 board to fix your $8000 pin is the very definition of first world problems.

Dumb dumb dumb. This is so ignorant it's almost amusing.

#498 4 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Not sure I agree with you here. Why should the burden of proof be with us customers? It’s time for Stern to step up and tell us what we can expect mid to long term with Spike-based games. Sure electronics fail. I want to know how I can deal with such failures 5-10 years from now.

Well because Stern, or any company, isn't going to give you that info, that's silly.
The problem with the entire discussion is everything is unknown. If we had the schematics then we'd know how the boards work and if we could get replacement parts to fix them. As of now we don't.

#502 4 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

That’s not true. Carmakers...

CARGUMENT
But seriously, I don;t thik anyone else in this industry has ever given those assurances?

Quoted from Zablon:

If they were forthcoming, this would be less of an issue.

Yes we all agree on that, but they aren't, and they are not going to be.

#508 4 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yep, but by discussing, sharing, researching, investigating, and testing, progress can be made. The large repository of repair guides for vintage games didn't happen overnight. It took time to develop. So will this.

Yes, but in the meantime you just have us bumping heads aboot semantics when we're all saying the exact same thing and agree.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Poorly designed electronics....

Like we get it...but you're saying the exact same thing he already knows, and what he's saying you also agree with.

#515 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It would be a huge selling point for all of the home buyers who are not electrically or mechanically inclined.

Problem is they don't seem to need a huge selling point at the moment.

#518 4 months ago

That's what I assumed also. To me it's the only thing that really makes sense.

#521 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Probably no one over there realizing the profits to be had (yet).

Because they/we don't actually know if theres a big profit margin, because we don't know how often they actually need to be paid for and replaced, because we don't have any real data, because we don't know their sales numbers and service numbers etc etc.

#533 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Dayum... You guys are touchy. ...I would already consider expensive repairs as part of the decision to do so. Guess that makes me an idiot.

Ha, I'm not touchy, I just think you're missing a big point here. I usually try not to explain things because it doesn't help much, but you've always seemed like a level headed guy so I'll give it a quick shot.

Node boards are small things that replace simple tasks like controlling 12 lights let's say (or 12 lights and 4 switches). So if it dies for some unknown reason, you'll have to pay a hundred or 2 (or more I don't know prices) to fix 12 lights. That's a problem.
You can replace 12 bulbs in your Met in 2 minutes, or fix the board 15 minutes. You just can't with Spike, that's the issue. It's taking away very simple tasks and replacing them with some weirdo boards that no one can figure out (yet).
So you may be seeing it as a "$400 vs. a machine that costs $8K" issue, but a lot of us are seeing it as a "$400 vs. $5" issue.

Now, take all that and add up all the $5 fixes we've done to our games over the years and you start to see that's a big ass amount of $$$

#535 4 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

... I am not sure how Stern would feel if someone started posting a generic schematic and BOM for thier boards... probably get a CAD letter from their lawyers right off the bat...

Well if you could keep your mouth shut for a second they'd never know

#540 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think the theory makes sense to me though.

THat's all any of us have needed.

#548 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If people have a problem with this they need to stop buying Spike games and sell the ones they have. I just don't get expecting things to change after buying these pins. It reminds me of those that buy pins with incomplete code that don't play well and expect Stern to turn it into a great game with code updates. I just don't get it.

I can see that point too, and in a way I agree with you (2nd part very much so). The problem is it would be a fundamental change in the serviceability of the machines for 40+ years. Of course that's not a lifetime and it happens with other things all the time, but Stern has said specifically that they will release the schematics and haven't.
Tough, they are the industry leader by far, but people here are addicts.

#551 4 months ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

As is bitching and whining about the bitching and whining.

And the drinking. And the drinking and bitching. And then the more drinking and bitching.

It's been working for us for years.

#563 4 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t like the term “node board”
What else can we come up with?

NoBo? prob the obvious choice

#566 4 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You said 'you're missing out' as if people are never going to play one just because they don't want to own one..

Luckily I'm skipping Munsters cause a friend is getting it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Maryville, TN
$ 26.50
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
5,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Lakeville, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside