Topic Stats

• 744 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 52 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F5E1D36C-CEB9-481B-AD58-33AD125B6F31 (resized).jpeg
rejoice (resized).png
Node8FrontLowerLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant.jpg
Node8FrontUpperLeftQuadrant.jpg
Node8Back.jpg
Node8FrontLowerRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 5 months ago

If you think a node board failure will keep the game from working, hope nobody finds out what happens if your SD card becomes corrupt. And, no, you cannot just go buy a new SD card and put the latest code on it. One reason why I clone the original SD card so at least I can get it up and running in a few hours.

#66 5 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hmm...didn't know that. Mind elaborating a little bit as long as we don't derail the thread? What format is the SD card?

Yeah it was just brought up to point out the little things that can cause the games to become inoperable. You can call up Stern and they probably will send you a new one like they've been doing with the node boards, but for how long.

I'm not sure of the format, but using HDD Raw Copy, essentially clones the original card including formatting.

#152 5 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

There are physical fuses on the nodes that have 48v according to this section from the WWE Wrestlemania (Pro) manual.
[quoted image]

They removed those fuses as they're not there any longer. I'm guessing they did this about the time of Spike 2 or when they also removed the HV coin door cut-out switch. Here is the paragraph about circuit protection.

node (resized).jpg
#194 5 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

Cabinets, separating due to weak leg braces.

They have metal corner brackets in the games now.

1 week later
#216 5 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I have mine reversed from that, 85% attract mode and 35% during gameplay (less reflecting off the playfield).

I played around with these settings. On Iron Maiden I have inserts at 80%, backbox at 60% during attract mode and 8% during gameplay. Sure helps keep the reflection off the glass when playing. When I head to my location, I'll do the same with Deadpool.

#224 5 months ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I had no idea till recently that this node board stuff was first implemented on transformers the pin (home edition).

Which is where it should have stayed. A SAM2 system, capable of running video, would have been the better direction IMHO. I don't think SAM had any flaws that I'm aware of. Oh well...

#267 5 months ago
Quoted from DNO:

But Wait!!
I thought these things were un-repairable boat anchors if a node acts up??
Unless of course, we had schematics, then the next Stern abomination would need to be sorted.

What Rotordave is showing is the upper right GB LED board, not a node board. Still, it would be nice to have the schematics on the LED boards as well.

#310 5 months ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Wasn't WWE the first?

Actually, The Pin (Transformers and Avengers) sold in Costco was the first. But WWE was the first commercial pinball machine using Spike.

Seems to me like Spike 2 has less issues than Spike 1. Maybe they learned some lessons???

#318 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

That would have been a simple fix. The switches are notorious for coming loose. My switch wasn't attached well when it arrived and I found one of the screws for it in the bottom of the cabinet.

Had the mode scoop switch on DP break one of the solder legs clean off in less than 2 weeks on route. Those switches are definitely cheaply made. Might want to pick up a six-pack just to have on hand.

#342 4 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

You're in luck! Avengers is SAM, not Spike.

Unless it's this version which is Spike. This version (The Pin) is what I was referring to in post #310.
image-1 (resized).jpg

#352 4 months ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I'd sure like to see the inside of the backbox and the main cabinet pictures of that machine.

3:45 to 12:00 is all about the inside stuff. Interestingly at around the 8:50 mark he talks about no manuals or schematics.

#407 4 months ago

From what I gather, even if you were able to copy the boards and populate the components, without the bootloader software loaded, they're pretty much useless.

#476 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this electronic stuff

We'll get back to this later.

Quoted from jawjaw:

has there been any known reasons why these boards have failed?

Ummm...that's what every. single. node. board. thread. here is trying to figure out. Nobody has a clue what is going on with these things and why so many are having problems.

Quoted from jawjaw:

If it was just a need for fuses, couldn't those be added by the aftermarket?

I know Kiss had fuses on the node boards. Ghostbusters does not. So somewhere along the line Stern decided they aren't needed. The same goes for the HV coil cutoff switch at the coin door. That's been removed too.

Quoted from jawjaw:

Regardless, I don't get all the complaining. I don't know of any paperweight Spike pins and seriously doubt there will be any time soon.

Had a GB go down with a node 8 comm failure for 1 month on location. That's about $600 in lost revenue. It's a real thing. Took that long to talk to Stern and get them to send a new one from the distributor. It was out of warranty.

Quoted from jawjaw:

Sure, it will be costly to fix but guess what - they are costly to buy in the first place. Complaining that you have to buy a $400 board to fix your $8000 pin is the very definition of first world problems.

Node 0 is $900. Node 1 $200. Node 8 and 9 are $300 each. Node 8a, 8b, 8c, 9a and 9b are $150 each. Sometimes one event can take out multiple nodes. If they all went out... $2,500. I've not seen that happen yet.

Quoted from jawjaw:

Nobody forces you to buy a pin and nobody needs one. It's a luxury, niche item. The simple solution to avoid all these issues is to not buy a Stern Spike pin. If you got own one and worried about costly repairs, sell it. Problem solved.

Wow...just wow!

Quoted from jawjaw:

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this electronic stuff

Nevermind.

3 weeks later
#716 4 months ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

schematics this week ?

Two days!

The heavens will open, trumpets will sound and the seas will part.

rejoice (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Buren, AR
$ 19.95
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside