Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 5 years ago

I think you could reverse engineer the boards if you put the time in and just create your own. The biggest problem is what software is on the microcontroller on the boards. Without that the board is a brick. They will have almost certainly added some sort of read protect so you cant just dump the firmware to clone it. Without the firmware, the schematics / reverse engineering the boards is pointless

SMD repair is not impossible its actually quite easy with the correct tools / knowledge to do it and im not sure how many pinball techs have this? As time moves on im sure more and more will become skilled in this area due to everything is smd these days.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

And what do you think about repairing Spike node boards?

id be surprised if they was more then 2 layers they are not complicated so dont need 4 layers (if they do its lazy routing or emi issues etc...) any one got high res photos of a common node board? (i don't own any spike games)

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

As you mentioned, it really just comes down to how well the components routed to each other. Some areas, like the bottom of the photo below appear to flow really well and looks like 2 layer would cut it. The larger square chip towards the top has a lot of vias around it, seems like that would need more than the back layer for connections.
Looking at the board edge, can't see anything that points one way or the other.
[quoted image][quoted image]

looks like 2 layer to me nothing there warrants a 4 layer board, the vias most likley pop out on the bottom and are routed some where else.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

No doubt about it tho - 2 layers would be cheaper. And Stern appears to excel at being a penny pincher. Simply using some 0 ohms resistors for jumpers are a lot cheaper than adding layers! Done it myself plenty of times.

yeah or just switch layers with vias usually how 2 layer boards are routed zero ohm resister trick is used alot on 1 layer boards

#137 5 years ago

id be pretty pissed if i had to buy a new cpu board for a game with only 143 plays on it!!! thats ridiculous

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

sounds like what apple is doing now days.

Did you hear about one of the "geniuses" wanting to replace a whole screen / motherboard because the screen would not turn on. When in fact it was just one tiny bent pin on the screen backlight connector!!! $900 repair for a 5sec fix!! insane.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I don't disagree about the hardware, it's just of the shelf stuff that anyone can by at plenty of supply houses. However, this did catch my attention when I was reading the manual not long ago (I just got a AS Pro, so it was still be fresh in my memory). No clue what the 'embedded code' entails, but they would be (sadly) silly to make it simple. Playing the devils advocate - they would load it up with proprietary code so after market vendors would spend more money in court than selling boards. Sad, but that's how the world works today. Hope I'm wrong! Sort of reminds me of back in the 80's when there was an Apple clone...that didn't last long.
[quoted image]

Yeah there is no such thing a pinball specific components its all just standard off the shelf components used in millions of products, the node boards just use the components in a way to drive coils / lamps / leds / motors etc... You can definitely create clones of the node boards with either schematics (easy way) or just reverse engineering them (hard way) they are not that complex so wouldn't take long. The bit that makes it extremely hard at this point is the microcontroller. How does it talk to the rest of the system? what commands does it receive / send? I assume when the main board boots it checks what node boards it has attached / might even do some sort of security hand shake with them to make sure its a genuine stern board?? (if they don't now they will when people make clones) You cant just clone the board you need the firmware as well which im not sure if you can even copy from a real node board and if you did it would be extremely illegal. The only legal way would be to write the firmware your self and have the node board pretend its a real one. But to do this you need to know the serial protocol or figure it out with a logic analyser / break any encryption they might have / add later on. One interesting note mentioned above is the firmware can update it self via updates from the main firmware image which is pretty cool. Maybe if you write just the boot loader that speaks the stern update protocol language your fake node board would update it self with the real firmware? (ie you don't sell the board with the firmware the pinball installs it for you when it updates the node board hehe) this would be legal i'm pretty sure?

Any way short version of all that crap i just wrote was i definitely think its possible to make clone node boards. Its just figuring out how they communicate with the stern serial bus / overcoming any security stern may have added or may add in future. These boards must be a pretty nice income for stern so i seriously doubt they are gonna give it up easily and certainly will make it hard as possible for people to create there own! (ie no schematics / adding security to the firmware / protocol etc..)

Edit: from memory TimeBandit decoded the spike serial bus for his arduino led driver boards? or was that another pinball control system?

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If you get the part number for the LED could I please have it too?
We are considering putting in a LED strip to light up the backbox if we cannot replace the LEDS. Silly to replace an entire CPU board just for one faulty LED.

Worst(or best for stern bank account lol) design decision ever mounting bright backbox leds onto the main controller. This would purely be for cost saving (cheaper to build / install) but now like you say one 20p led dies they want you to swap a very expensive board also how much heat are those leds sinking into the pcb? cant be good for it? seperate led boards would of been a far better solution!

1 week later
#254 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

if there is a will there is a way. the node boards get "programmed" by the main cpu board. If you need some kind of boot software for the node board perhaps you could pull a still good chip and read it back and then program that to the new chip.

Pretty sure the board gets destroyed. They would have to remove all the parts to see the tracks under chips. Shave / sand it flat and then there is probably automated tools to help convert a scan of that board the scan to pcb layout computer file. Then from that the schematic can be recreated.
so in 10-20 years from now when all these boards are NLA perhaps aftermarkets could be created much like circuit boards for games from the 70-90s.

You can reverse engineer the boards far easier then that they are not complex and most of the circuitry is just duplicated for each input / output.

But without knowing what firmware is on that chip or how it interacts with the main controller its pointless.

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just FYI - my buddies ghostbusters has been playing up. Started with no rollover lights up the top. Local stern guys sent around a guy who has no idea how Spike works. So buddy decided to get a new node for that, $100 landed from memory. No difference.
Luckily one guy in our community is a clever clogs, and he diagnosed that this component was blown on several of the node boards, causing a problem downstream.
Several 15c components repaired the problem.
rd
[quoted image]

looks like some sort or regular with a in/out smoothing cap and resistors to set voltage. Have you got a close pick of its number?

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yikes, I was afraid things were getting that complex, but having to write your own code to test crappy boards without schematics... I am tapping out well beyond that point.
Hopefully some repair tools and "common things to do" type pinwiki repair documents are developed over the next decade or a lot of Spike games are going to end up in the trash.
Thank you for taking the time to follow up on the repair method used, I am sure it will be helpful for somebody in the future!
The SW on location in my town is missing a ton of center playfield lights, it is well beyond the owner's ability to repair it (even if he had the time, he is busy managing a large venue). And dropping $400 on a board to maybe fix it is not appealing on their end.

from what i just read this is great news sounds like those boards are just basic logic no microcontroller involved. Any one can reverse engineer them and create copies

i dont own a spike game but could some one take photos of these various board's? might be far easier to reverse engineer then first thought

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#279 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

All talk until it's done.

well i did say might! just some high res photo's would be helpful.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’d love to have a full set of hi res pics for each node board. This is Node 11 from game of thrones.
I’ll be gone ice fishing this weekend, but I’ll snap pics of the rest next week. I’ll also try to get better quality pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

what is the number on that little square chip? (looks like a microcontroller, 8 legs each side)

#303 5 years ago

that indeed is a little microcontroller who knows what its doing / what firmware it has :/

#337 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

could the bootloader be generic and comes programmed from the factory?
26.3.1 Bootloader
The bootloader controls initial operation after reset and also provides the means to
accomplish programming of the flash memory via UART or C_CAN. This could be initial
programming of a blank device, erasure and re-programming of a previously programmed
device, or programming of the flash memory by the application program in a running
system.
The bootloader code is executed every time the part is powered on or reset. The loader
can execute the ISP command handler or the user application code. A LOW level after
reset at the PIO0_1 pin is considered as an external hardware request to start the ISP
command handler either via UART or C_CAN, if present.
user manual
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM10398.pdf
600 pages =O
NXP says they will make that chip for a while longer now. If the next generation is called Spunk, then Spike boards go obsolete and people really need the boards made someone will find a way. I don't like the situation with circuit boards either but I don't think it is a deal breaker.

either stern or nxp (if u order enough of them) will be putting some sort of custom stern bootloader onto those chips. Something we cant get hold of. There does appear to be a programming header on the board as well so you can update the firmware directly.

#343 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Correct. Per my previous comments, to be serviceable, one would need a source of pre-programmed parts, or the current code could be read off a working board (with the available in circuit programming port) assuming the chip is not read protected. I have had a notion to try the latter, but have not gotten around to it. On a side note, if anybody has a dead spike board that they don't need, I enjoy playing with them and trying to figure out the issues. Shoot me a PM.

Indeed, id be worried about selling a repo board with there firmware though as just asking for a lawsuit. Unless the end user some how installs it as technically they own the orignal.

#607 5 years ago

Nothing there is complicated. Its just knowing what that micro does so it can be emulated. Or lifting the firmware off it.

#619 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Nah that's ok, just need pics of the larger transistor part markings.
The 16 pin chips "74HCT594" and "74HCT165" are straight forward part numbers.
I presume the 74HCT594 are decoders (serial to parallel) which activate the light driver transistors at Q15-Q29 (K2K / 2N7002K)
74HCT165 might be used for the switch return inputs since they are parallel to serial converters.

Yeah just basic shift registers easy way to control as many outputs/inputs as you want off just 3 data gpio lines from the micro. Great for chaining together.

The board just receives commands / sends switch data from the RJ45 bus then shifts the data out to the shift registers to set the relevant output drivers. The micro will contain the memory map and all the safety code so coils dont get locked on etc.... I doubt the micro is doing much so could probably just write your own version of the firmware if you new what commands it reads from the RJ45 bus / what it needs to send back (long as there is no nasty encryption)

#697 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

If the cpu chip is failing alot, couldn't the board be re-designed to have a socket for that chip? Seems that would help in repairing the board. Even if you have to buy a pre-programmed chip from Stern, at least you could change out the chip yourself.

There is no reason for a micro to fail, if it is failing its being damaged by over voltage or emi (from coils / motors) or something on the board due to bad design. The design should be fixed not just making bits socketed

#699 5 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

But it should have jtag or serial to recover from failed flash update

Yeah firmware should be doing some sort of checksum first before it swaps to the new flash else does not copy it into program memory.

1 week later
#712 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Close-ups of a failed Node 8. Shaker motor would not work. Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Premium/LE)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This one has an obvious programming port on the back, im pretty sure it says isp?

3 months later
#740 4 years ago

SMD is small and cheap to buy/assemble, though hole is expensive buy/assemble, i cant see stern going backwards with there board technology any time soon. They just need to stop ripping people off when it goes wrong and offer replacements for more reasonable prices then no one would have a problem. Also maybe engineer them slightly better so they don't screw up so often

#744 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I would gladly pay extra for all through hole electronics. It‘s not like there‘s not enough space in a pin. How much more can it cost? $200-300?

The electronics industry is killing off through hole, you will only find it on high current / components that need extra support like heavy duty connectors etc...

It's far far cheaper to have a pick and place machine populate the boards then mess around with through hole (you can get machines to populate / solder through hole but it's extra process)

wanna keep cost down use as much smd as possible and boards as small as possible. Sadly complete opposite of what you want if your trying to repair

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 21.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,495 (Firm)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-boards-some-new-bullshit?tu=russdx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.