Node8FrontUpperRightQuadrant (resized).jpg
0ABE9ED9-0EDB-4F67-9D92-D0CCA45732E7 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F7C3826F-5544-418C-B4D0-9564AAAF8868 (resized).png
stern warranty (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20190202-110400_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190202-110235_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
7D99B3D7-4F52-4953-955F-3F30AD1729CC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 5 years ago

Which node board and which switch?

3 weeks later
#316 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Egad! SM components are one thing... but I had no idea Spike Nodes were packed so dense!
So OK, serious question: just *how* is one supposed to remove something like, say, that small IC "U12" for example... with all those other sensitive components in the way? Do you just clear them all out and hope for the best?

Hot air station and tweezers. Flux and a stereo microscope make it easier.

On the main topic, there are two things needed before Spike boards are reasonably repairable;

1) Schematics and BOM list
2) Source for programmed chips

For #1, stern has said they will provide these. It's up to you if you believe it or not. I think it is likely that the Spike design was completely contracted out. Stern may not have the license to distribute the schematics. The negotiations for license would explain the desire to release, but the long delay in figuring it out. And really, schematics are not strictly required. It is possible to reverse engineer and repair as has been demonstrated (in this thread and my own personal experience).

For #2, the ARM micro controllers on the node boards have code pre-programmed before assembly. I talked to Pat back in Nov, he said the intention is to make these parts available to purchase. I was playing around with a dead board that another member sent me and ran into this wall when I figured out the ARM chip was dead. I replaced it with a new one and the board still would not talk on the Spike network. It is possible that the chip is not read protected and the source can be pulled off a good board, but I haven't gotten around to trying that. If someone has, it would be good to know.

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/LPC111X.pdf
Quick flip through the datasheet show the micro has (up to) 64kB of flash memory and may be fully programmed by the CPU board and does not need any base firmware programming. There is "Code Read Protection" talked about, but since the CPU board I programming new node boards I am not sure if it is being used or matter.
NXP even offers the micro in a DIP28 through hole package =D.

I disagree. A new part needs to be preprogrammed with some sort of base bootstrap code in order to communicate on the Spike network.

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

either stern or nxp (if u order enough of them) will be putting some sort of custom stern bootloader onto those chips. Something we cant get hold of. There does appear to be a programming header on the board as well so you can update the firmware directly.

Correct. Per my previous comments, to be serviceable, one would need a source of pre-programmed parts, or the current code could be read off a working board (with the available in circuit programming port) assuming the chip is not read protected. I have had a notion to try the latter, but have not gotten around to it. On a side note, if anybody has a dead spike board that they don't need, I enjoy playing with them and trying to figure out the issues. Shoot me a PM.

#347 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not necessarily. Some ATMEL uCs come with a default bootloader pre-programmed.

Sure, but for this specific application Spike is not a standard interface. A generic bootloader is not going to be helpful for network FW loading. I can confirm that putting a new NXT uC onto a CPU board does not yield a functioning CPU board.

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I thought someone else pointed out that Spike uses SPI (MISO, MOSI, ect) to program the cpu nodes.
If so; the default loader may actually operate with SPI as many uCs do.
Regardless; unless someone actually takes some to reverse engineer the spike system; we're all just speculating.
I for one would <3 to see someone do a full bom analysis on the spike node boards to find out how much Stern is "up selling" their design. I tend to agree with Vid; the bom may be in the $12 range... but I tend to think it's more in the $20-30 range.

Ah, key data backed up with real world experience. Good to know.

It is not SPI. Spike is electrically RS-485, but the protocol is proprietary.

1 week later
#676 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Schematics are coming this month hopefully stern comes through

Source please?

EDIT: N/M just saw the stern of the union.. yay!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grovetown, GA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/node-boards-some-new-bullshit?tu=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.